Page 483 of 484 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484 LastLast
Results 9,641 to 9,660 of 9674

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. IV

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Alternate Translation: We will help, but dont hoard the best talents. Nothing of this NCC / Gilas - Dont Go Pro yet pool non-sense.
    Alternate translation: PBA is the master, SBP is the beggar....SBP kowtow to PBA

The combination of Rayray Parks & CJ Perez at the 3 & 2 spots would be solid for Gilas. You got players who can do good job at both ends of the floor. Good to see that Parks isn't that passive anymore. Parks used to be somewhat passive during his stints in the ABL and with the Gilas cadets a few years ago. Parks may not be a as tall & athletic as a Gabe Norwood & I think his defense isn't as good as Norwood, but its obvious that Parks is the better offensive player than the very passive Norwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8GnUknoKY
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I think what we need to make a leap in the immediate future in terms of improving our NT program is for someone like Boss Ronald to get bolder, and for some well to do basketball enthusiasts to follow his lead.

If Chooks to Go expands its Manok ng Bayan prospects and make them undergo the Kai Sotto route (in terms of skills and physical training), the quality of future NT fixtures would exponentially increase. Paras, Ildefonso, Baltazar and Abando offer raw materials that could be competitive internationally. They have good size for their positions and even though they might be a bit old (except for Dave, who looks to have had a headstart in terms of improving his skill set) to really reach elite potential, a significant improvement on their current skills could mean a lot, esp cumulatively.

Just wish more sponsors come and help young guys with high ceilings (Lopez, for example) to achieve their full potential.
    Last edited by NOiNU; 10-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    I think what we need to make a leap in the immediate future in terms of improving our NT program is for someone like Boss Ronald to get bolder, and for some well to do basketball enthusiasts to follow his lead.

If Chooks to Go expands its Manok ng Bayan prospects and make them undergo the Kai Sotto route (in terms of skills and physical training), the quality of future NT fixtures would exponentially increase. Paras, Ildefonso, Baltazar and Abando offer raw materials that could be competitive internationally. They have good size for their positions and even though they might be a bit old (except for Dave, who looks to have had a headstart in terms of improving his skill set) to really reach elite potential, a significant improvement on their current skills could mean a lot, esp cumulatively.

Just wish more sponsors come and help young guys with high ceilings (Lopez, for example) to achieve their full potential.
    How is the relationship of Chooks to go and Mighty Sports? Also is there anyone in the top 10 richest people in the Philippines that are involved in basketball? Lopez is the second best prospect after Kai. Maybe Aldous Torculas depending how he does in the next tournament?

japan’s rui get a lot of playing time w/ the wizards and will be a problem for gilas & the rest of asia--
    https://twitter.com/WashWizards/stat...19427762716673

Quote Originally Posted by elleroch View Post
    japan’s rui get a lot of playing time w/ the wizards and will be a problem for gilas & the rest of asia--
    https://twitter.com/WashWizards/stat...19427762716673
    He won’t get to play alot of intl basketball because of the nba schedule.

Vincent Collet wants to coach abroad: https://sportando.basketball/en/coll...o58QNnYDispyLE
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    Most likely Rui would only be able to play in the 2023 FIBA World Cup qualifiers during the June 2022 & September 2022 windows. So that means he will miss the 4 other windows. But it won't matter much becoz, just like the Philippines, Japan also is automatically qualified for the World Cup being one of the hosts.

Rui however is going to miss some windows for the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    The same problem we will have if ever Kai makes it to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    The combination of Rayray Parks & CJ Perez at the 3 & 2 spots would be solid for Gilas. You got players who can do good job at both ends of the floor. Good to see that Parks isn't that passive anymore. Parks used to be somewhat passive during his stints in the ABL and with the Gilas cadets a few years ago. Parks may not be a as tall & athletic as a Gabe Norwood & I think his defense isn't as good as Norwood, but its obvious that Parks is the better offensive player than the very passive Norwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8GnUknoKY
    CJ and Parks should have been the back court of the NT 3 years ago, especially this past FIBA tourney.

CJ shouldn't' have been in college for more than 4 years and Parks should have been swayed to Gilas along time ago.

That's why I don't really want Kai in the NBA unless he can get a contract with a national team clause. He should be playing in the Euroleague. You don't need to burn yourself out playing 70-80 games a year to be world class... leave the Nike endorsements to the Americans
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    That's why I don't really want Kai in the NBA unless he can get a contract with a national team clause. He should be playing in the Euroleague. You don't need to burn yourself out playing 70-80 games a year to be world class... leave the Nike endorsements to the Americans
    Would Euroleague calendar allow Kai to play more windows in FIBA World Cup qualifiers? Or perhaps you are referring to the possibility that Kai playing in Europe could arrange for a clause in his contract which would allow him to play for Gilas during the FIBA World Cup qualifiers?
    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 11-22-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Would Euroleague calendar allow Kai to play more windows in FIBA World Cup qualifiers? Or perhaps you are referring to the possibility that Kai playing in Europe could arrange for a clause in his contract which would allow him to play for Gilas during the FIBA World Cup qualifiers?
    it's more about the number of games.. playing even 50 games only per season can really take a toll on a player, what more 70-80? it's the primary reason why so many NBA stars skip summer competitions. FIBA really needs to solve the scheduling issue with the clubs as it has started to affect the Euroleague as well..
    -Margaret Mead

I think he'll get to play during World-level tournaments like the WC and the Olympics. Mainly due to those events being held during the NBA off-season.

Anyways, it's not like we should rely too much on Kai in the coming years. Kai has great potential but the NT shouldn't be built around him.
    "INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS."

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    I think he'll get to play during World-level tournaments like the WC and the Olympics. Mainly due to those events being held during the NBA off-season.

Anyways, it's not like we should rely too much on Kai in the coming years. Kai has great potential but the NT shouldn't be built around him.
    Depends on his development, really. If he gets developed enough to be dominant against asia-oceania teams, then by all means he should be treated as a featured player and should be surrounded by complementary players. Basketball is still a superstar-driven sport, whichever way we put it.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Depends on his development, really. If he gets developed enough to be dominant against asia-oceania teams, then by all means he should be treated as a featured player and should be surrounded by complementary players. Basketball is still a superstar-driven sport, whichever way we put it.
    Maybe for the nba but in Europe is always team first

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Let’s hope the god-awful PBA will be cooperative and the SBP has a solid program up till 2023. I’m already not liking the preps for the SEA games and there is no clear candidate for the head coaching job aside from Cone and Compton. Neither of whom I’m confident are the right people to take over the reins.
    "INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS."

I have zero evidence about this just guy feel. Cone doesn't want the job. I feel he's not just playing hard to get. Sbp will need a bigger carrot to entice him.

OT - i just have to get this out my system. All white US team. Hence, this is my starting 5, in the modern era, not named dirk and larry legend --

PG - john stockton
    SG - dan majerle
    SF - craig ehlo
    PF - kevin love
    C - rik smits ( if not considered american, then I will have kelly olynik (?) )

Who's your starting 5??

Quote Originally Posted by PaVi View Post
    OT - i just have to get this out my system. All white US team. Hence, this is my starting 5, in the modern era, not named dirk and larry legend --

PG - john stockton
    SG - dan majerle
    SF - craig ehlo
    PF - kevin love
    C - rik smits ( if not considered american, then I will have kelly olynik (?) )

Who's your starting 5??
    Olynyk is Canadian. I'd put Laimbeer in there for shits and giggles
    Keep running, big boy.

Page 483 of 484 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484 LastLast