Page 2 of 423 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. IV

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    The light at the end of the tunnel is that RSA and MVP may have already buried the hatchet. Reports have it that RSA watched the PHL-FRA game, one of those rare times that RSA was seen in public watching a basketball game.

But more importantly, RSA has somehow smoked the peace pipe when he invited MVP (along with other tycoons like JAZA, Hans Sy, etc.) in a purported Manila airport project at the reclamation area in Parañaque amounting to approximately $10B. This project was initially shelved, but is being revived under the new administration. Because of the financial magnitude, it makes business sense for RSA to partner with other infrastructure investors to make this project come to fruition.

Not being too optimistic though, but at least, these are good signs. Especially if they end up being business partners in this endeavor.

Then, from what I hear, Noli Eala is practically out of the SMC Group already so there won't be any "antagonistic" perspective. It's Al Chua who's running the sports show at SMC, and he may be the "friendlier" conduit to help unite PHL basketball.
    Yeah i saw alot of pictures RSA really watch the game againts france i really hope it's the start of unity of the two empire.

Eala out of smc? yes that is a good news! i hope politics in PH basketball ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    in short our PG's are all westbrook type of PG's. We don't have PG's like stockton nor steve nash.

I understand why Japeth isn't field in by tab during the france game and i figure it out during the game itself that it's a mismatch for japeth to match up diaw, lauvergne. Japeth's type of match up is against Chinese bigs not french bigs.
    Or Rondo or Parker.

The closest we got is Ryan Reyes.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMarco2016 View Post
    I did see RSA watch the France game. Nice to see, though I hope that RSA didn't get pissed seeing June Mar only play a few minutes vs France and Japeth get benched the whole game...lol
    Won't worry about that too much. I doubt if RSA would make decisions based on basketball plays. He understands the game enough to let the coach be given enough latitude to run the show. JMF was saddled with foul trouble in the France game so it wasn't like he wasn't given the opportunity.

The other development is that SMC actually helped MVP's TV5 by advertising its products on the network. We all know RSA owns CNN Philippines and it's not like TV5 is the best advertising medium for them (w/ ABS-CBN and GMA around). Yet, those ads, worth somewhere in the 7 or 8 digits, is a healthy sign that these businessmen can actually work together provided that both end up with a win-win solution.

So that means the long-haired Chinese guy is the only remaining thorn to achieving true unity in Philippine basketball. Once this guy is out, the PBA will be more willing to cooperate with the national cause. #WeStillBelieve #WC2019
    #NowIsTheTime #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    in short our PG's are all westbrook type of PG's. We don't have PG's like stockton nor steve nash.

I understand why Japeth isn't field in by tab during the france game and i figure it out during the game itself that it's a mismatch for japeth to match up diaw, lauvergne. Japeth's type of match up is against Chinese bigs not french bigs.
    We have two of them, but damn hagop rule!
    Gilas Pilipinas

Dallas Mavericks

UST Growling Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
    We have two of them, but damn hagop rule!
    We still have a potential pass-first PG in Kiefer Ravena.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    So that means the long-haired Chinese guy is the only remaining thorn to achieving true unity in Philippine basketball. Once this guy is out, the PBA will be more willing to cooperate with the national cause. #WeStillBelieve #WC2019
    Not exactly accurate. Chua may actually turn out to be the one guy that can unite everyone. I don't really think he's a thorn, that was Eala's role.

But believe me when I say Chua has RSA's complete trust and confidence....at this moment, at least...

Lol I hope you are joking brother. The guy has an ego that needs to be smashed by a sledgehammer in the form of Tab Baldwin's scolding sessions.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001

Not exactly accurate. Chua may actually turn out to be the one guy that can unite everyone. I don't really think he's a thorn, that was Eala's role.

But believe me when I say Chua has RSA's complete trust and confidence....at this moment, at least...
    Sir JPM, do you have an idea who might succeed MVP as the SBP president? I believe SMC representation is crucial in the SBP for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the correction, JPM. Kaya lang kasi, dinosaur ang kume eh.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBluePinoy View Post
    Sir JPM, do you have an idea who might succeed MVP as the SBP president? I believe SMC representation is crucial in the SBP for obvious reasons.
    Equal representation for everyone. Just make sure to sift out and block all Chinese agents from SBP.

Al Panlilio...I'm almost sure he has the lock on the majority of the votes already.

SMC doesn't have a major official representing them in the SBP. Count out Robert Non, he's an outsider looking in within SMC. Chua's the real deal. And unless RSA pushes Chua to run as SBP head (which I doubt he'll do), then Panlilio is it. With high expectations that the SMC and the PBA will give 100% support to his candidacy.

Since the cadets are basically the senior side now, how do you guys think the cadet team will look for the FIBA Asia Challenge Cup?

No Jalalon since NCAA is ongoing right? I anticipate Ravena, Wright, Ferrer, Belo, Van Opstal to comprise the core.

I imagine the team will be lacking in bigs though, though saying the team would be lacking in bigs might be a massive understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMarco2016 View Post
    Since the cadets are basically the senior side now, how do you guys think the cadet team will look for the FIBA Asia Challenge Cup?

No Jalalon since NCAA is ongoing right? I anticipate Ravena, Wright, Ferrer, Belo, Van Opstal to comprise the core.

I imagine the team will be lacking in bigs though, though saying the team would be lacking in bigs might be a massive understatement.
    Not great. Like you said, we have no big men so basically no front court. As it was shown in the OQT, a team without a reliable front court is not going far. Having Blatche is a blessing but I doubt he'll be available.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001

Speaking of point guards, i dont see any pure guard in the horizon...the next superstar is Jalalon who is more of a scorer. Well, Ravena could slowly transform into a pass first guard.He is still young and have the intelligence to grasp the demands of that position. I see his game very similar to alex cabagnot given more seasoning. Baser is also a candidate medyo timid lang but really smart.

Al Panlilio...I'm almost sure he has the lock on the majority of the votes already.

SMC doesn't have a major official representing them in the SBP. Count out Robert Non, he's an outsider looking in within SMC. Chua's the real deal. And unless RSA pushes Chua to run as SBP head (which I doubt he'll do), then Panlilio is it. With high expectations that the SMC and the PBA will give 100% support to his candidacy.
    Thank you, sir. I'm also optimistic on a full PBA representation in one of the qualifying windows for WC. For one, FIBA has not released a calendar for each leg. If the pieces fall into place and the schedule is favorable, it's not impossible that we can form a team with at least 8 PBA players against some of the more competitive teams.

I envision our future pass-first PG as someone who may not be that athletic, but is a great facilitator who makes his teammates better and is not afraid to take the big shots.

If Keifer will transform to a pass-first PG or ala Jayson Castro type of player then this will be a good sign for us.

I envision our future pass-first PG as someone who may not be that athletic, but is a great facilitator who makes his teammates better and is not afraid to take the big shots.
    The problem is that our local players are always patterning their style to Westbrook or Bryant's game. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have their size. Problem is we don't.

Another problem is that our local teams rarely play systematic basketball. It's all 1-on-1 so it affects the players ego if they can't contribute on the scoreboard.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001

Thank you, sir. I'm also optimistic on a full PBA representation in one of the qualifying windows for WC. For one, FIBA has not released a calendar for each leg. If the pieces fall into place and the schedule is favorable, it's not impossible that we can form a team with at least 8 PBA players against some of the more competitive teams.
    My suggested lineups that balance competitiveness with player development:

For non-qualifying tournaments (SEABA, Jones Cup, Asia Challenge, Asia Champs after Olympic years):

1 backup naturalized player (could be any one of Tautuaa or any of the African players in PH)
    6-8 U21 Cadets
    1-2 reinforcements from the PBA (lower-tier teams) and/or the PBA D-League
    1-2 U18 standouts

For qualifying tournaments (WC qualifiers, WC proper, Asia Champs before Olympic years, OQT):

1 ~20yo naturalized 6-9+ bigman with strong inside presence and decent range (3pt shooting is only a bonus, and ONLY when wide open)
    6-8 core senior players
    1-2 Cadet standouts
    1-2 U18 standouts

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    The problem is that our local players are always patterning their style to Westbrook or Bryant's game. Nothing wrong with that as long as you have their size. Problem is we don't.

Another problem is that our local teams rarely play systematic basketball. It's all 1-on-1 so it affects the players ego if they can't contribute on the scoreboard.
    That is why we need a PG who does not care how many points he scores as long as his team wins games.

Page 2 of 423 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast