This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by allmight View Post
    Ratliffe is the biggest problem when we meet Korea next. In the Asian games, Erram was too light, Asi too slow. Japeth will have the same problem as Erram. JMF if not injured will have the same problem as Asi. Double teaming will be a problem as this is a Korean team learning their lesson from that close win vs Thailand. CS is the cosest we can get the play 1v1 D against Ratliffe.
    Let Ratliffe get his numbers. Mapapagod din sya. Just lockdown the other 4 shooters. That is how you beat SMB with jmf, same case with korea.

Besides Edu and Kai(if available) is capable limiting him. If Kai cannot contain ratliffe, then he will not be nba ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      If Kai cannot contain ratliffe, then he will not be nba ready.
      That sounds about right.

Comment

• It is difficult to guard Ratcliffe as of now,Standhardinger and Junemar are the best defender for him,Kai and Aj I think would be eaten alive by Ratcliffe on the post because of body strength and inexperience playing with more skillful center,but we can use AJ Edu as back up for Stan and Junemar.
        Do you want to save big bucks for a T-shirt👕?Hurry up for our Online Store Promo,Our Volt Design T-shirt has Some Old Stocks T-shirts that are selling for 49 Pesos plus 79 pesos Shipping fee nationwide.🛵COD within Metro Manila is available,Pay 79 pesos shipping fee first on Provincial COD.Order Now!!🥰
        Buy here👉https://www.pinoyhoopz.com/promo.html

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
          Do you think Zhou qi at age 18 can guard junmar at the post? He may not even be able to stop a healthy junmar today. But he made it to the NBA. Kai isnt going to the NBA this year and if he enters the draft as early as next year, he'll be drafted based on potential. Let's be honest, Ratcliffe will be too strong for Kai right now. We're talking about a fullgrown big man whose game is based on body strength vs a 17 year old kid here. Pretty sure 18 year old Porzingis also won't match well with present Ratcliffe
          This is just guesswork of course but I think an 18 y/o Zhou Qi can guard prime Junemar or Ratliffe by fronting and using that long arms to disrupt the passing lanes inside. Kai can do this too at least for a few plays by fronting and denying. What I'm worried about is Kai's stamina with all the physicality inside. Kid is mentally tough but Ratliffe is bull strong.

Kai can get away with this type of defense for a few possessions until Ratliffe uses his strength and veteran smarts. That's when the coach should mix it up with double teaming or putting another guy against him like cs then switch to Kai. Anyway, this is just a fantasy since we 90% know that Kai will NOT get the call.

Basic Post Defense Guidelines

1. Beat the offensive post to the "spot"
          Post defense is played before the post receives the ball, not after. Force the opponent to adjust and set up out of their normal operating area. If the post wants to set up with back to basket in a low position, push high. If the offensive post likes to set up high, force low. Front and deny the passing lane against a good scoring post player. When playing behind the post, push off the block and away from basket.

2. Deny the post the ball
          A defensive post must be determined to deny all post passes. Intimidate the offensive post by "standing one's ground" between the post and the potential passer. The defender's major mission in guarding the post, is to keep the ball from the opponent's hands. On a pass into the low post area, do not go for a steal unless backside help is available. When defending against the lob pass, go to a full chest (face), staying tight with both hands up high.

3. Play with agility and finesse rather than strength
          Be active when defending against a post player. Stay low in an "Ear on Chest" pass denial position. Play with finesse, and do not lean on, wrestle or hug the post. Have "active" feet and do NOT get caught standing flat-footed. Defensive post must adjust position on every pass. Must vary defensive techniques. The offense will eventually adjust if only one defensive technique is employed during the game.

4. Play mentally tough
          Assume an attitude of invincibility around the basket by taking charge with aggressive actions. A good defensive post must be aggressive and cannot be easily discouraged. Do not allow any uncontested cuts to the ball or the basket. Whenever possible take a charge. Disrupt or prevent any on ball post screens, and communicate on off ball screens. React quickly to a successful deflections, hustling and denying the opponent a chance to score off the loose ball. The defender's hard work should result in a turnover, not a successful recovery for the offense.

5. Total Team Effort
          Defender guarding the player with the ball, must exert the utmost pressure taking away their shot and pass options and force the ball handler into dribbling. Off ball defenders must provide strong back side support.

Comment

Do you think Zhou qi at age 18 can guard junmar at the post? He may not even be able to stop a healthy junmar today. But he made it to the NBA. Kai isnt going to the NBA this year and if he enters the draft as early as next year, he'll be drafted based on potential. Let's be honest, Ratcliffe will be too strong for Kai right now. We're talking about a fullgrown big man whose game is based on body strength vs a 17 year old kid here. Pretty sure 18 year old Porzingis also won't match well with present Ratcliffe
            Thats why Zhou Qi is a bust. 18 year old KP can limit Ratliffe. Ssme with Kai.

Kai can not stop but he can LIMIT ratliffe. And as you said Kai cab stretch the 4 against ratliffe. Purefoods abd ratlliffe lost to san miguel cause smb import and arwind stretch the floor.

But Cstand Kai doubling him will stop him but it'will leave koreas deadly shooters.

Anyway, We can switch defender throughout the game against ratliffe

Comment

Anyway, so I thought I'll have a lot of spare tkme yesterday so I watched gilas vs Qatar back in 2017. Was only able to finish the 1st quarter but I think I've seen enough to validate the observation of some IBNers about Matthew Wright. He was just spotting up and cutting and scored 11 in 7 minutes (then subbed by Pogoy). Chot didn't ask him to bring the ball down or call plays, it was the point guard and Norwood who were tasked to handle the ball and call plays.
              Maybe it's really not that he chokes in the international, he just wasn't utilized properly by the other coaches
              Hmmm. You should have finish the whole game to observe better.

Matthew Wright was under different coaches but he often chokes. Does Vanguardia the only coach that can utilize him. Then Wright will be just a system player.

I will pick marcio over wright anyday

Comment

• *deleted* bad joke.

Forgive me.
                Last edited by allmight; 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Matthew Wright was under different coaches but he often chokes. Does Vanguardia the only coach that can utilize him. Then Wright will be just a system player.

Matthew Wright isn't that bad.Probably the closest shooter next to Marcio, although now Marcio has the tendency to slack on defense now that he is older. Marcio might be a better shooter now but I think they are about the same on defense (if i'll based their performance on the last SEA games). 2011 Marcio was a different kind of defender,even Jordan's Naturalized player,ironically was also named Wright (Rashiem is his first name I think) limited him against Gilas during Marcio's Gilas 1 stint.
                  "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Shooters then are Wright, Pogoy and who else?

Man, SBP needs to look at the amateur pool asap.

Comment

• Damn, RDO is really a great player. He's not only tough but his skill as a player is still unmatched by any Gilas player so far. He's just not charismatic or flashy that's why regular fans don't see his real value with Gilas. Here's a clip for your quarantainment.

Comment

He had a good Fiba asia 2017 stint. The reason probably for this is Blatch didn't play. So the ball move alot more and Matt was look upon to score points. With Blatch he became a solely a spot up shooter and with less touches.

Comment

• Originally posted by allmight View Post
                          Shooters then are Wright, Pogoy and who else?

Man, SBP needs to look at the amateur pool asap.
                          actually, there are a lot of amateurs better than wright/pogoy now. Even Rhenz Abando and Lebron Lopez looks Better than them.

2023 is the world cup. Our amateurs will be approaching their primes then. Besides, amateurs are not caged by pba team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                            Matthew Wright isn't that bad.Probably the closest shooter next to Marcio, although now Marcio has the tendency to slack on defense now that he is older. Marcio might be a better shooter now but I think they are about the same on defense (if i'll based their performance on the last SEA games). 2011 Marcio was a different kind of defender,even Jordan's Naturalized player,ironically was also named Wright (Rashiem is his first name I think) limited him against Gilas during Marcio's Gilas 1 stint.
                            I see matthew wright as a player that isnt fit in international stage just like arwind. Both great in pba but struggles in fiba. He is inconsistent. Thats why. You cannot be an inconsistent shooter in fiba. Jeff chan and Larry Fonacier was our consistent shooters back then.

Yeah, Rasheem wright was stopped by marcio and lutz. Sadly, we did not have marcio in gilas in his prime. If he only stayed with powerade.

Comment

• Originally posted by zairex View Post
                              He had a good Fiba asia 2017 stint. The reason probably for this is Blatch didn't play. So the ball move alot more and Matt was look upon to score points. With Blatch he became a solely a spot up shooter and with less touches.
                              It is like saying matt is not reliable without blatche.

Matthew wright problem is his consistency. He can heat up 30 poibts one night, then scored 3 points next game.

Comment

actually, there are a lot of amateurs better than wright/pogoy now. Even Rhenz Abando and Lebron Lopez looks Better than them.

2023 is the world cup. Our amateurs will be approaching their primes then. Besides, amateurs are not caged by pba team.
                                That's good to know bc wright and pogoy are declining prolly due to wear and tear. I hope sbp sees that it s time to start them young. Heck hadadi feels like 50 with his constant presence in FIBA and he s only 35.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information