Page 395 of 399 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,900 of 7972

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. IV

  1. #7881
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Agree on all points.

    But sadly, PBA's mandate is not to develop international players for international games. Original objective of the league back in 1975, was in fact, to get out of the National Team business. Times have changed, and PBA knows it, but the old guards of the league still insist that sending delegation to international games is just secondary to the real objective which is the "bring entertainment to the people" through product pimping.

    in Fact, back in the early 90s, the PBA's GOAT commissioner Rudy Salud once said, PBA is for entertainment only, PBA is not for national team duties.

    Sir Dotch as usual my initial reaction on your posted message.."is that real? the guy who is considered as GOAT of all PBA comms..the guy they called Atty. RLS or Sir RLS in the inner circle said those stuff with firmness and clarity...the man who authored the constitute and by laws of our beloved league...man oh man!! eh di wow na naman!!...Guys any video or articles..post it immediately..this is very interesting indeed.

  2. #7882
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    Sir Dotch as usual my initial reaction on your posted message.."is that real? the guy who is considered as GOAT of all PBA comms..the guy they called Atty. RLS or Sir RLS in the inner circle said those stuff with firmness and clarity...the man who authored the constitute and by laws of our beloved league...man oh man!! eh di wow na naman!!...Guys any video or articles..post it immediately..this is very interesting indeed.
    That's Rodrigo "Rudy" Salud ha..the elder Salud. He said that maybe 1989-1990 during the advent of the Open era...in all fairness, he relented and agreed to send an All Pro team in 1990 Asiad in Beijing, 2 years ahead of the NBA. But yeah, he was quoted saying that. Cant find the article, try Phil Star or Inquirer

  3. #7883
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Agree on all points.

    But sadly, PBA's mandate is not to develop international players for international games. Original objective of the league back in 1975, was in fact, to get out of the National Team business. Times have changed, and PBA knows it, but the old guards of the league still insist that sending delegation to international games is just secondary to the real objective which is the "bring entertainment to the people" through product pimping.

    in Fact, back in the early 90s, the PBA's GOAT commissioner Rudy Salud once said, PBA is for entertainment only, PBA is not for national team duties.

    Sir Dotch were talking about the GOAT here the greatest of all time of all PBA comms..it sounds blasphemy to others but hey!! as usual my initial reaction on your posted message.."is that real? the guy they called Atty. RLS or Sir RLS in the inner circle..the one who authored the institution and by laws of our beloved league said those stuff with firmness and clarity...man oh man!! eh di wow na naman!!...Guys any video or articles..post it immediately..this is very interesting indeed.

  4. #7884
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    That's Rodrigo "Rudy" Salud ha..the elder Salud. He said that maybe 1989-1990 during the advent of the Open era...in all fairness, he relented and agreed to send an All Pro team in 1990 Asiad in Beijing, 2 years ahead of the NBA. But yeah, he was quoted saying that. Cant find the article, try Phil Star or Inquirer
    hehehe..sir Dotch from one bombastic message to another..your in the different element right now...whew!! na intriga talaga ako sa bagay na ito..salamat po..another interesting fact indeed.

  5. #7885
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    hehehe..sir Dotch from one bombastic message to another..your in the different element right now...whew!! na intriga talaga ako sa bagay na ito..salamat po..another interesting fact indeed.
    dude, no sir and maam here, we are all equals. and my intention is not to put out bombastic or controversial statmenents, i m just recalling what i have read before. but yeah, Salud was the commish when the open era begun...he has a job to do which is to run the PBA and make it profitable, and when the the all pro-team was playing in Beijing, ULTRA was like a ghost town, and attendance really suffered.

    The BAP, led by Lito Puyat was the real villain here, he used "national interest" to pressure the PBA by sending its players, where in fact, BAP dont own, develop and pay these players. In retrospect, BAP has a free ride in forming these all-pro teams from 1990 to 2002.. That why PBA only commited to participate in the non FIBA sanctioned Asian Games during that era.

  6. #7886
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Why does the PBA need three conferences again? Why not just have one conference for the whole year with designated breaks for FIBA tournaments?

    Instead of three how about two,one AFC and the Invitationals,but since its two only it will be a long AFC then.

  7. #7887
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    PBA has to adapt FIBA rules and physicality. We have to change our way of playing, the mountain will not come to Mohamad. Pinoys need to adjust to the international game. Even Americans, hello Jalen Green, are perplexed at what are called and not called fouls here. We have our own game but unfortunately it is what is hindering us from developing international level players. I think our physicality was designed so that smaller stocky players can be at par with taller quicker but slimmer players. The problem is this prevents our taller players from developing their skill because they have to protect themselves from the physicality of smaller players.

    IMO the physicality or the international game, although a bit painful if your not used to it, doesnt injure players. The Pinoy physicality is actually dangerous to players. Look at the sahod era. Look at Samboy Lim. We might not be in the Sahod era but our physicality seems to be still dangerous to slimmer players. We need to adapt the international game's physicality and let go of our own. This is the only way to move forward and be competitive internationally.


    That's why the PBA needs an Invitational,its just not for the same 12=15 guys who keeps on going for the Gilas team but also for the rest of the league's players and coaches who will never see the light of day to be in a Gilas uniform.Also for the fans to be more informed in a FIBA like tournament,the rules,the fouls,etc.Constant exposure to such pressure type of games will get the elite players ready even in a short period of preparedness.

  8. #7888
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,377
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    PBA has to adapt FIBA rules and physicality. We have to change our way of playing, the mountain will not come to Mohamad. Pinoys need to adjust to the international game. Even Americans, hello Jalen Green, are perplexed at what are called and not called fouls here. We have our own game but unfortunately it is what is hindering us from developing international level players. I think our physicality was designed so that smaller stocky players can be at par with taller quicker but slimmer players. The problem is this prevents our taller players from developing their skill because they have to protect themselves from the physicality of smaller players.

    IMO the physicality or the international game, although a bit painful if your not used to it, doesnt injure players. The Pinoy physicality is actually dangerous to players. Look at the sahod era. Look at Samboy Lim. We might not be in the Sahod era but our physicality seems to be still dangerous to slimmer players. We need to adapt the international game's physicality and let go of our own. This is the only way to move forward and be competitive internationally.
    Agree on this, but I think we have to make said adjustment NOT WHEN THE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY IN THE PBA BUT WHILE THEY ARE AT THE GRASSROOTS LEVEL. Though we use FIBA rules from sitio to college levels, it's really different the way our fouls are called. Changing this means reeducating our game officials (referees) about how things are called in the international level. That's the tricky part given how the Pinoy physicality is already ingrained in our basketball culture.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  9. #7889
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Agree on this, but I think we have to make said adjustment NOT WHEN THE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY IN THE PBA BUT WHILE THEY ARE AT THE GRASSROOTS LEVEL. Though we use FIBA rules from sitio to college levels, it's really different the way our fouls are called. Changing this means reeducating our game officials (referees) about how things are called in the international level. That's the tricky part given how the Pinoy physicality is already ingrained in our basketball culture.

    Here's the tricky part,for some hardcore Pinoy type basketball,FIBA rules equals boring basketball in the amateur or college level,I say they should just gradually change the rules gradually from next year til whatever.It will be a painful learning experience for some,they gotts start with the officials for sure.

  10. #7890
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    442
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Why does the PBA need three conferences again? Why not just have one conference for the whole year with designated breaks for FIBA tournaments?
    I had been a PBA critique, but to be objective, currently PBA has made enough adjustments. Also, Gilas has reideemed itself in asia as a powerhouse. What happened the past few games is a result of our mismanagement (stakeholders). Coach YG is a great PBA coach and has charmed the PBA, however, he has not coached any FIBA ruled tournament such as College basketball recently or has gone abroad unless he is special for FIBA. This is an eye opener that the international game has changed alot for the last 4 years. We need to expose ourselves with more technologies and fresh ideas on how to approach the game.

    We need to accept that we are not physically as strong and tall as the kiwis or aussies but we are as intelligent and far more talented than them (as compared to the chinese). But we are not aquainted to fiba-euro style of play where the arabs thrived. It is perspective, see how korean basketball and japan evolved to be back as powerhouse ousting us in our place, which is innovation and science. I wish we hire a young korean analyst/consultant and promising european coach.

    Additionally, why field in FIBA rookie players en masse.
    Last edited by Alcan; 12-05-2018 at 12:36 AM.

  11. #7891
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Here's my take, as I said many times before I am not that enthusiastic in the current batch of Gilas players, I rather spend majority of my investment on our young guns, the batch of Kai, AJ, Raven, Carl and Geo is the future Philippine basketball, let those lads expose to that European type of a training to assimilate themselves to that FIBA environment you guys are talking. As much as I want our current team participate on next year's WC2019, well as we all know were walking on a thin ice as of the moment, with that two heartbreaking lost, the remaining two away games is not a guarantee that we could make it to the last dance because we are also dependent on the result of the other teams. I am more excited to monitor the progress of our U19 bound team, 2019 is just around the corner, I hope the SBP guys already identified who will guide our boys on that tournament, time is very essential nowadays, the countdown begins now..were hoping for the best.

  12. #7892
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    543
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)

  13. #7893
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    304
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)

    Is mvp still financing the gilas/sbp or is it chook’s mascareñas?

  14. #7894
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    What could have been if we let TAB continue his coaching of the gilas program? Even if some player doesn't like him I think we can have more of a positive results compare to what chot or yeng accomplished.

  15. #7895
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    886

    Default

    tough week to be a Philippine National Team fan as the Azkals also lost 2 games .

    So that's 0 wins and 4 losses for the Gilas and Azkals

    and if you're a UP fan, 0 and 6!

  16. #7896
    Senior Member yogaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)
    I vote for Coach Tab for under 16 and under 18 national team for us to have strong foundation and good training for our young players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #7897
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    984
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    tough week to be a Philippine National Team fan as the Azkals also lost 2 games .

    So that's 0 wins and 4 losses for the Gilas and Azkals

    and if you're a UP fan, 0 and 6!
    I feel you bro, I am a fan of all those teams.

  18. #7898
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leoisiah View Post
    I feel you bro, I am a fan of all those teams.
    Bro, after that two heartbreaking lost at MOA Arena, the 2-1 lost at Panaad and that 2-1 lost again in My Dinh Stadium...I felt really sick going to the office..those teams are closest to my heart especially the Azkals, bawi na lang in AFF Suzuki Cup 2020 and let's support their campaign in next months Asian Cup 2019, I've heard that their are several high profile players are interested to join the squad when they read the news that legendary coach Sven Goran Ericksson is now managing the team.

  19. #7899
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    Bro, after that two heartbreaking lost at MOA Arena, the 2-1 lost at Panaad and that 2-1 lost again in My Dinh Stadium...I felt really sick going to the office..those teams are closest to my heart especially the Azkals, bawi na lang in AFF Suzuki Cup 2020 and let's support their campaign in next months Asian Cup 2019, I've heard that their are several high profile players are interested to join the squad when they read the news that legendary coach Sven Goran Ericksson is now managing the team.
    lol ididnt notice that yes next month is asia cup.. and i suddenly realized world cup has already passed...who won the whole thing btw? I just knew that russia hosted it .
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  20. #7900
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    273
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    lol ididnt notice that yes next month is asia cup.. and i suddenly realized world cup has already passed...who won the whole thing btw? I just knew that russia hosted it .
    The Le Bleu of France defeated the Vatrenis of Croatia 4-2.

Page 395 of 399 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •