This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    Sir Dotch as usual my initial reaction on your posted message.."is that real? the guy who is considered as GOAT of all PBA comms..the guy they called Atty. RLS or Sir RLS in the inner circle said those stuff with firmness and clarity...the man who authored the constitute and by laws of our beloved league...man oh man!! eh di wow na naman!!...Guys any video or articles..post it immediately..this is very interesting indeed.
    That's Rodrigo "Rudy" Salud ha..the elder Salud. He said that maybe 1989-1990 during the advent of the Open era...in all fairness, he relented and agreed to send an All Pro team in 1990 Asiad in Beijing, 2 years ahead of the NBA. But yeah, he was quoted saying that. Cant find the article, try Phil Star or Inquirer

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
      Agree on all points.

But sadly, PBA's mandate is not to develop international players for international games. Original objective of the league back in 1975, was in fact, to get out of the National Team business. Times have changed, and PBA knows it, but the old guards of the league still insist that sending delegation to international games is just secondary to the real objective which is the "bring entertainment to the people" through product pimping.

in Fact, back in the early 90s, the PBA's GOAT commissioner Rudy Salud once said, PBA is for entertainment only, PBA is not for national team duties.

Sir Dotch were talking about the GOAT here the greatest of all time of all PBA comms..it sounds blasphemy to others but hey!! as usual my initial reaction on your posted message.."is that real? the guy they called Atty. RLS or Sir RLS in the inner circle..the one who authored the institution and by laws of our beloved league said those stuff with firmness and clarity...man oh man!! eh di wow na naman!!...Guys any video or articles..post it immediately..this is very interesting indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
        That's Rodrigo "Rudy" Salud ha..the elder Salud. He said that maybe 1989-1990 during the advent of the Open era...in all fairness, he relented and agreed to send an All Pro team in 1990 Asiad in Beijing, 2 years ahead of the NBA. But yeah, he was quoted saying that. Cant find the article, try Phil Star or Inquirer
        hehehe..sir Dotch from one bombastic message to another..your in the different element right now...whew!! na intriga talaga ako sa bagay na ito..salamat po..another interesting fact indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
          hehehe..sir Dotch from one bombastic message to another..your in the different element right now...whew!! na intriga talaga ako sa bagay na ito..salamat po..another interesting fact indeed.
          dude, no sir and maam here, we are all equals. and my intention is not to put out bombastic or controversial statmenents, i m just recalling what i have read before. but yeah, Salud was the commish when the open era begun...he has a job to do which is to run the PBA and make it profitable, and when the the all pro-team was playing in Beijing, ULTRA was like a ghost town, and attendance really suffered.

The BAP, led by Lito Puyat was the real villain here, he used "national interest" to pressure the PBA by sending its players, where in fact, BAP dont own, develop and pay these players. In retrospect, BAP has a free ride in forming these all-pro teams from 1990 to 2002.. That why PBA only commited to participate in the non FIBA sanctioned Asian Games during that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
            Why does the PBA need three conferences again? Why not just have one conference for the whole year with designated breaks for FIBA tournaments?

Instead of three how about two,one AFC and the Invitationals,but since its two only it will be a long AFC then.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
              PBA has to adapt FIBA rules and physicality. We have to change our way of playing, the mountain will not come to Mohamad. Pinoys need to adjust to the international game. Even Americans, hello Jalen Green, are perplexed at what are called and not called fouls here. We have our own game but unfortunately it is what is hindering us from developing international level players. I think our physicality was designed so that smaller stocky players can be at par with taller quicker but slimmer players. The problem is this prevents our taller players from developing their skill because they have to protect themselves from the physicality of smaller players.

IMO the physicality or the international game, although a bit painful if your not used to it, doesnt injure players. The Pinoy physicality is actually dangerous to players. Look at the sahod era. Look at Samboy Lim. We might not be in the Sahod era but our physicality seems to be still dangerous to slimmer players. We need to adapt the international game's physicality and let go of our own. This is the only way to move forward and be competitive internationally.

That's why the PBA needs an Invitational,its just not for the same 12=15 guys who keeps on going for the Gilas team but also for the rest of the league's players and coaches who will never see the light of day to be in a Gilas uniform.Also for the fans to be more informed in a FIBA like tournament,the rules,the fouls,etc.Constant exposure to such pressure type of games will get the elite players ready even in a short period of preparedness.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                PBA has to adapt FIBA rules and physicality. We have to change our way of playing, the mountain will not come to Mohamad. Pinoys need to adjust to the international game. Even Americans, hello Jalen Green, are perplexed at what are called and not called fouls here. We have our own game but unfortunately it is what is hindering us from developing international level players. I think our physicality was designed so that smaller stocky players can be at par with taller quicker but slimmer players. The problem is this prevents our taller players from developing their skill because they have to protect themselves from the physicality of smaller players.

IMO the physicality or the international game, although a bit painful if your not used to it, doesnt injure players. The Pinoy physicality is actually dangerous to players. Look at the sahod era. Look at Samboy Lim. We might not be in the Sahod era but our physicality seems to be still dangerous to slimmer players. We need to adapt the international game's physicality and let go of our own. This is the only way to move forward and be competitive internationally.
                Agree on this, but I think we have to make said adjustment NOT WHEN THE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY IN THE PBA BUT WHILE THEY ARE AT THE GRASSROOTS LEVEL. Though we use FIBA rules from sitio to college levels, it's really different the way our fouls are called. Changing this means reeducating our game officials (referees) about how things are called in the international level. That's the tricky part given how the Pinoy physicality is already ingrained in our basketball culture.
                Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                  Agree on this, but I think we have to make said adjustment NOT WHEN THE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY IN THE PBA BUT WHILE THEY ARE AT THE GRASSROOTS LEVEL. Though we use FIBA rules from sitio to college levels, it's really different the way our fouls are called. Changing this means reeducating our game officials (referees) about how things are called in the international level. That's the tricky part given how the Pinoy physicality is already ingrained in our basketball culture.

Here's the tricky part,for some hardcore Pinoy type basketball,FIBA rules equals boring basketball in the amateur or college level,I say they should just gradually change the rules gradually from next year til whatever.It will be a painful learning experience for some,they gotts start with the officials for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                    Why does the PBA need three conferences again? Why not just have one conference for the whole year with designated breaks for FIBA tournaments?
                    I had been a PBA critique, but to be objective, currently PBA has made enough adjustments. Also, Gilas has reideemed itself in asia as a powerhouse. What happened the past few games is a result of our mismanagement (stakeholders). Coach YG is a great PBA coach and has charmed the PBA, however, he has not coached any FIBA ruled tournament such as College basketball recently or has gone abroad unless he is special for FIBA. This is an eye opener that the international game has changed alot for the last 4 years. We need to expose ourselves with more technologies and fresh ideas on how to approach the game.

We need to accept that we are not physically as strong and tall as the kiwis or aussies but we are as intelligent and far more talented than them (as compared to the chinese). But we are not aquainted to fiba-euro style of play where the arabs thrived. It is perspective, see how korean basketball and japan evolved to be back as powerhouse ousting us in our place, which is innovation and science. I wish we hire a young korean analyst/consultant and promising european coach.

Additionally, why field in FIBA rookie players en masse.
                    Last edited by Alcan; 12-05-2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• Here's my take, as I said many times before I am not that enthusiastic in the current batch of Gilas players, I rather spend majority of my investment on our young guns, the batch of Kai, AJ, Raven, Carl and Geo is the future Philippine basketball, let those lads expose to that European type of a training to assimilate themselves to that FIBA environment you guys are talking. As much as I want our current team participate on next year's WC2019, well as we all know were walking on a thin ice as of the moment, with that two heartbreaking lost, the remaining two away games is not a guarantee that we could make it to the last dance because we are also dependent on the result of the other teams. I am more excited to monitor the progress of our U19 bound team, 2019 is just around the corner, I hope the SBP guys already identified who will guide our boys on that tournament, time is very essential nowadays, the countdown begins now..were hoping for the best.

Comment

• I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrenzo View Post
                          I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)

Is mvp still financing the gilas/sbp or is it chook’s mascareñas?

Comment

• What could have been if we let TAB continue his coaching of the gilas program? Even if some player doesn't like him I think we can have more of a positive results compare to what chot or yeng accomplished.
                            Samahan ng mga Bopol ng Pilipinas

Comment

• tough week to be a Philippine National Team fan as the Azkals also lost 2 games .

So that's 0 wins and 4 losses for the Gilas and Azkals

and if you're a UP fan, 0 and 6!

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrenzo View Post
                                I may root for Ateneo, but I would have no issue if MVP assigns Tab as coach for our youth teams / Sinag / Gilas Cadets the next day, even if it means him leaving Ateneo. Heck, he can bring Alton Lister with him (who is also partly the reason why Ateneo's bigs are well-developed)
                                I vote for Coach Tab for under 16 and under 18 national team for us to have strong foundation and good training for our young players.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information