Page 545 of 588 FirstFirst ... 45445495535543544545546547555 ... LastLast
Results 10,881 to 10,900 of 11741

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. IV

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Do you think Zhou qi at age 18 can guard junmar at the post? He may not even be able to stop a healthy junmar today. But he made it to the NBA. Kai isnt going to the NBA this year and if he enters the draft as early as next year, he'll be drafted based on potential. Let's be honest, Ratcliffe will be too strong for Kai right now. We're talking about a fullgrown big man whose game is based on body strength vs a 17 year old kid here. Pretty sure 18 year old Porzingis also won't match well with present Ratcliffe
    This is just guesswork of course but I think an 18 y/o Zhou Qi can guard prime Junemar or Ratliffe by fronting and using that long arms to disrupt the passing lanes inside. Kai can do this too at least for a few plays by fronting and denying. What I'm worried about is Kai's stamina with all the physicality inside. Kid is mentally tough but Ratliffe is bull strong.

Kai can get away with this type of defense for a few possessions until Ratliffe uses his strength and veteran smarts. That's when the coach should mix it up with double teaming or putting another guy against him like cs then switch to Kai. Anyway, this is just a fantasy since we 90% know that Kai will NOT get the call.

Basic Post Defense Guidelines

1. Beat the offensive post to the "spot"
    Post defense is played before the post receives the ball, not after. Force the opponent to adjust and set up out of their normal operating area. If the post wants to set up with back to basket in a low position, push high. If the offensive post likes to set up high, force low. Front and deny the passing lane against a good scoring post player. When playing behind the post, push off the block and away from basket.

2. Deny the post the ball
    A defensive post must be determined to deny all post passes. Intimidate the offensive post by "standing one's ground" between the post and the potential passer. The defender's major mission in guarding the post, is to keep the ball from the opponent's hands. On a pass into the low post area, do not go for a steal unless backside help is available. When defending against the lob pass, go to a full chest (face), staying tight with both hands up high.

3. Play with agility and finesse rather than strength
    Be active when defending against a post player. Stay low in an "Ear on Chest" pass denial position. Play with finesse, and do not lean on, wrestle or hug the post. Have "active" feet and do NOT get caught standing flat-footed. Defensive post must adjust position on every pass. Must vary defensive techniques. The offense will eventually adjust if only one defensive technique is employed during the game.

4. Play mentally tough
    Assume an attitude of invincibility around the basket by taking charge with aggressive actions. A good defensive post must be aggressive and cannot be easily discouraged. Do not allow any uncontested cuts to the ball or the basket. Whenever possible take a charge. Disrupt or prevent any on ball post screens, and communicate on off ball screens. React quickly to a successful deflections, hustling and denying the opponent a chance to score off the loose ball. The defender's hard work should result in a turnover, not a successful recovery for the offense.

5. Total Team Effort
    Defender guarding the player with the ball, must exert the utmost pressure taking away their shot and pass options and force the ball handler into dribbling. Off ball defenders must provide strong back side support.

Do you think Zhou qi at age 18 can guard junmar at the post? He may not even be able to stop a healthy junmar today. But he made it to the NBA. Kai isnt going to the NBA this year and if he enters the draft as early as next year, he'll be drafted based on potential. Let's be honest, Ratcliffe will be too strong for Kai right now. We're talking about a fullgrown big man whose game is based on body strength vs a 17 year old kid here. Pretty sure 18 year old Porzingis also won't match well with present Ratcliffe
    Thats why Zhou Qi is a bust. 18 year old KP can limit Ratliffe. Ssme with Kai.

Kai can not stop but he can LIMIT ratliffe. And as you said Kai cab stretch the 4 against ratliffe. Purefoods abd ratlliffe lost to san miguel cause smb import and arwind stretch the floor.

But Cstand Kai doubling him will stop him but it'will leave koreas deadly shooters.

Anyway, We can switch defender throughout the game against ratliffe

Quote Originally Posted by allmight View Post
    This is just guesswork of course but I think an 18 y/o Zhou Qi can guard prime Junemar or Ratliffe by fronting and using that long arms to disrupt the passing lanes inside. Kai can do this too at least for a few plays by fronting and denying. What I'm worried about is Kai's stamina with all the physicality inside. Kid is mentally tough but Ratliffe is bull strong.

Kai can get away with this type of defense for a few possessions until Ratliffe uses his strength and veteran smarts. That's when the coach should mix it up with double teaming or putting another guy against him like cs then switch to Kai. Anyway, this is just a fantasy since we 90% know that Kai will NOT get the call.

Basic Post Defense Guidelines

1. Beat the offensive post to the "spot"
    Post defense is played before the post receives the ball, not after. Force the opponent to adjust and set up out of their normal operating area. If the post wants to set up with back to basket in a low position, push high. If the offensive post likes to set up high, force low. Front and deny the passing lane against a good scoring post player. When playing behind the post, push off the block and away from basket.

2. Deny the post the ball
    A defensive post must be determined to deny all post passes. Intimidate the offensive post by "standing one's ground" between the post and the potential passer. The defender's major mission in guarding the post, is to keep the ball from the opponent's hands. On a pass into the low post area, do not go for a steal unless backside help is available. When defending against the lob pass, go to a full chest (face), staying tight with both hands up high.

3. Play with agility and finesse rather than strength
    Be active when defending against a post player. Stay low in an "Ear on Chest" pass denial position. Play with finesse, and do not lean on, wrestle or hug the post. Have "active" feet and do NOT get caught standing flat-footed. Defensive post must adjust position on every pass. Must vary defensive techniques. The offense will eventually adjust if only one defensive technique is employed during the game.

4. Play mentally tough
    Assume an attitude of invincibility around the basket by taking charge with aggressive actions. A good defensive post must be aggressive and cannot be easily discouraged. Do not allow any uncontested cuts to the ball or the basket. Whenever possible take a charge. Disrupt or prevent any on ball post screens, and communicate on off ball screens. React quickly to a successful deflections, hustling and denying the opponent a chance to score off the loose ball. The defender's hard work should result in a turnover, not a successful recovery for the offense.

5. Total Team Effort
    Defender guarding the player with the ball, must exert the utmost pressure taking away their shot and pass options and force the ball handler into dribbling. Off ball defenders must provide strong back side support.
    We've all seen how Junmar bully-ball the much better built, much athletic and equally long (compared to Zhou qui) Senegal bigs back in 2014, didn't we. Let us not underestimate the value of heft, and strehgth of full grown, burly bugs in the post even if they are shorter.
    We have this chance to fit JC in the gilas team, why are you putting in effort on finding ways to exclude him?

- lurklurk

Anyway, so I thought I'll have a lot of spare tkme yesterday so I watched gilas vs Qatar back in 2017. Was only able to finish the 1st quarter but I think I've seen enough to validate the observation of some IBNers about Matthew Wright. He was just spotting up and cutting and scored 11 in 7 minutes (then subbed by Pogoy). Chot didn't ask him to bring the ball down or call plays, it was the point guard and Norwood who were tasked to handle the ball and call plays.
    Maybe it's really not that he chokes in the international, he just wasn't utilized properly by the other coaches
    We have this chance to fit JC in the gilas team, why are you putting in effort on finding ways to exclude him?

- lurklurk

Anyway, so I thought I'll have a lot of spare tkme yesterday so I watched gilas vs Qatar back in 2017. Was only able to finish the 1st quarter but I think I've seen enough to validate the observation of some IBNers about Matthew Wright. He was just spotting up and cutting and scored 11 in 7 minutes (then subbed by Pogoy). Chot didn't ask him to bring the ball down or call plays, it was the point guard and Norwood who were tasked to handle the ball and call plays.
    Maybe it's really not that he chokes in the international, he just wasn't utilized properly by the other coaches
    Hmmm. You should have finish the whole game to observe better.

Matthew Wright was under different coaches but he often chokes. Does Vanguardia the only coach that can utilize him. Then Wright will be just a system player.

I will pick marcio over wright anyday

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

Matthew Wright was under different coaches but he often chokes. Does Vanguardia the only coach that can utilize him. Then Wright will be just a system player.

Every coach will pick marcio over Matthew but will marcio play? He'll either be injured or he's lockdowned by SMC. Besides, he's no spring chicken anymore

- lurklurk

*deleted* bad joke.

Forgive me.
    Last edited by allmight; 04-02-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Matthew Wright isn't that bad.Probably the closest shooter next to Marcio, although now Marcio has the tendency to slack on defense now that he is older. Marcio might be a better shooter now but I think they are about the same on defense (if i'll based their performance on the last SEA games). 2011 Marcio was a different kind of defender,even Jordan's Naturalized player,ironically was also named Wright (Rashiem is his first name I think) limited him against Gilas during Marcio's Gilas 1 stint.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Shooters then are Wright, Pogoy and who else?

Man, SBP needs to look at the amateur pool asap.

Damn, RDO is really a great player. He's not only tough but his skill as a player is still unmatched by any Gilas player so far. He's just not charismatic or flashy that's why regular fans don't see his real value with Gilas. Here's a clip for your quarantainment.

Damn, RDO is really a great player. He's not only tough but his skill as a player is still unmatched by any Gilas player so far. He's just not charismatic or flashy that's why regular fans don't see his real value with Gilas. Here's a clip for your quarantainment.

I don't know what's with RDO. Is it his beard? Is it his blank face? The Russian player was going after the much bigger Asi when RDO pushed him to the stands and the Russian was all fine with it lol. Seriously, that game had about the same physicality as with the game vs Australia and seems to have had more cheap shots but the game wqe completed and with the competitors exchanging handshakes after. And you gotta respect Asi, he always plays with heart and would stand up for his team mates like a real big brother. Junmar, yep, very mild mannered but at times seem apathetic.

- lurklurk

He had a good Fiba asia 2017 stint. The reason probably for this is Blatch didn't play. So the ball move alot more and Matt was look upon to score points. With Blatch he became a solely a spot up shooter and with less touches.

Shooters then are Wright, Pogoy and who else?

Man, SBP needs to look at the amateur pool asap.
    actually, there are a lot of amateurs better than wright/pogoy now. Even Rhenz Abando and Lebron Lopez looks Better than them.

2023 is the world cup. Our amateurs will be approaching their primes then. Besides, amateurs are not caged by pba team.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Matthew Wright isn't that bad.Probably the closest shooter next to Marcio, although now Marcio has the tendency to slack on defense now that he is older. Marcio might be a better shooter now but I think they are about the same on defense (if i'll based their performance on the last SEA games). 2011 Marcio was a different kind of defender,even Jordan's Naturalized player,ironically was also named Wright (Rashiem is his first name I think) limited him against Gilas during Marcio's Gilas 1 stint.
    I see matthew wright as a player that isnt fit in international stage just like arwind. Both great in pba but struggles in fiba. He is inconsistent. Thats why. You cannot be an inconsistent shooter in fiba. Jeff chan and Larry Fonacier was our consistent shooters back then.

Yeah, Rasheem wright was stopped by marcio and lutz. Sadly, we did not have marcio in gilas in his prime. If he only stayed with powerade.

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    He had a good Fiba asia 2017 stint. The reason probably for this is Blatch didn't play. So the ball move alot more and Matt was look upon to score points. With Blatch he became a solely a spot up shooter and with less touches.
    It is like saying matt is not reliable without blatche.

Matthew wright problem is his consistency. He can heat up 30 poibts one night, then scored 3 points next game.

It is like saying matt is not reliable without blatche.

Matthew wright problem is his consistency. He can heat up 30 poibts one night, then scored 3 points next game.
    I think he was saying the opposite. Anyway, I think wriht would've been more effective if utilized properly. He's a shooter but he's been tasked t po help bring the ball down and make plays. Abando could turn out to be the more versatile 2 guard but Lopez will have to develop consistent outside shooting if we intend to use him as 2 guard

- lurklurk

actually, there are a lot of amateurs better than wright/pogoy now. Even Rhenz Abando and Lebron Lopez looks Better than them.

2023 is the world cup. Our amateurs will be approaching their primes then. Besides, amateurs are not caged by pba team.
    That's good to know bc wright and pogoy are declining prolly due to wear and tear. I hope sbp sees that it s time to start them young. Heck hadadi feels like 50 with his constant presence in FIBA and he s only 35.

If we're talking about an 18-year old Zhou Qi, then that was the Zhou Qi in the 2014 FIBA Asia Cup. Remember the 3 crucial freethrows made by Paul Lee to steal the game from China in the battle for 3rd place in that tournament? Zhou Qi wasn't really that good (in my opinion) at that stage of his career. He wasn't that of a significant factor for China. Fast forward 1 year from then, we saw a monster Zhou Qi playing for China in the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship. I could remember how big a factor Zhou was against Iran (semis) and against Gilas (finals) in that tournament. Its not like Zhou torched Gilas by 30 pts., 15 rebs in the championship game. Its more like he provided intimidating presence inside the shaded lane that even an Andray Blatche couldn't get his game going. Since then, Zhou Qi's improvement has been considerably big.

The same could also be expected from Kai Sotto (hopefully). I mean, as you've said, Ratliffe might be too strong for kai Sotto at present (Kai about to turn 18 now), but things would be very different 1 or 2 years from now.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I think he was saying the opposite. Anyway, I think wriht would've been more effective if utilized properly. He's a shooter but he's been tasked t po help bring the ball down and make plays. Abando could turn out to be the more versatile 2 guard but Lopez will have to develop consistent outside shooting if we intend to use him as 2 guard
    Yup, that is also how I understand it. About Matt Wright, I think he did well with the Gilas cadets in the 2017 Jones Cup & with Gilas senior team in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup. But since then, he was hardly a factor for the National team in the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. He did quite well in the 2019 SEA Games, but I won't give too much weight on that becoz SEA basketball is still low level basketball.

I would like to see how Wright performs side by side with Marcio Lassiter in an Asian level (not SEA-level) competition. I have a feeling Wright will be able to perform better with Marcio at the helm.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

That's good to know bc wright and pogoy are declining prolly due to wear and tear. I hope sbp sees that it s time to start them young. Heck hadadi feels like 50 with his constant presence in FIBA and he s only 35.
    Are Allyn Bulanadi, Rey Suerte & Dave Ildefonso any better than Pogoy & Wright?

I couldn't agree with you more of players getting expose to international basketball at a young age. We should start to expose them to senior level international competition at the age of 18 to 22 years old. Hindi yung kailan 25 or 26 years old na yung player eh saka pa lang isasabak sa international game.

Page 545 of 588 FirstFirst ... 45445495535543544545546547555 ... LastLast