Page 479 of 483 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481 ... LastLast
Results 9,561 to 9,580 of 9644

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. IV

  1. #9561
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,806
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1ck View Post
    Speaking of Mac Belo he could have been a good wing player for us with good height for a 3 and D guy but lately after getting injured his game just disappered.
    He was trying to get PBA ready by muscling up. And he was taking it inside more in the PBA against the bigger and more physical frontline But the added weight and the explosive and physical drives took its toll on his knees.

    If he stayed with his college game of being more a perimeter player than trying to be a PBA PF he would not have gotten injured.

  2. #9562
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    44
    Country: Wales

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    He was trying to get PBA ready by muscling up. And he was taking it inside more in the PBA against the bigger and more physical frontline But the added weight and the explosive and physical drives took its toll on his knees.

    If he stayed with his college game of being more a perimeter player than trying to be a PBA PF he would not have gotten injured.


    He has been playing really good recently. He has improved his shooting and dribbling. Maybe he could be inserted again in the Gilas Program. Him along with Escoto and Rosario as experimental SFs.

  3. #9563
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,634
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Argentina coaching model is being eyed by the sbp.

    https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...bGnDg4uxOdalKk
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  4. #9564
    Senior Member ZIMATAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabat Island, Philippines
    Posts
    554
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Argentina coaching model is being eyed by the sbp.

    https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...bGnDg4uxOdalKk
    Apparently. Chot Reyes have already envisioned this 2 years ago.
    https://businessmirror.com.ph/2017/1...impress-reyes/

  5. #9565
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,739
    Country: Austria

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZIMATAR View Post
    Apparently. Chot Reyes have already envisioned this 2 years ago.
    https://businessmirror.com.ph/2017/1...impress-reyes/
    His cadet program was honestly fine given the obstacles he had to face. Looks like they had to learn the hard way to finally try and change

  6. #9566
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pampanga, Phil
    Posts
    4,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Argentina coaching model is being eyed by the sbp.

    https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...bGnDg4uxOdalKk
    Ouch.... Reading between the lines, so is Guiao's coaching staff, the less mature type? Hahaha.... Im sure, naiinis na si MVP sa antics ni Yeng, not reinforcing his staff... In 2014 we had Lescano, Tab, Black, Uichico while Yeng jas Caloy...

  7. #9567
    Senior Member insulares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    Ouch.... Reading between the lines, so is Guiao's coaching staff, the less mature type? Hahaha.... Im sure, naiinis na si MVP sa antics ni Yeng, not reinforcing his staff... In 2014 we had Lescano, Tab, Black, Uichico while Yeng jas Caloy...
    Not to mention MVP called out the scouting ("poor quality").

    Kasama na si SAP Ryan Gregorio diyan sa grupo ng boy scout na dapat 'laging handa' (na sibakin).

    But yes, the glaring bottom line from the boss is that Yeng Guiao stinks.

  8. #9568
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Argentina coaching model is being eyed by the sbp.

    https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...bGnDg4uxOdalKk


    The system is a next level DDO,a little Euro style and some Iso plays,they could add the Run and Gun,aind it will be a Pinoy style basketball 3.0

  9. #9569
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pampanga, Phil
    Posts
    4,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    The system is a next level DDO,a little Euro style and some Iso plays,they could add the Run and Gun,aind it will be a Pinoy style basketball 3.0
    With Tab Baldwin having beg off the offer of being Head Ciach and floated as possible program director of Gilas Program from Elite down to Cadets and Youth teams, and with Tim Cone offered as the Head Ciach of Seniors team albeit at interim basis for SEA Games. Question is, can Tim Cone work harmoniously with Tab in the event that the coaching gig becomes a permanent one... Its a starting pount that someone from SMC is now being considered for Gilas Ciaching job, what was once just a domain of MVP guys... Personally Im more inclined on having Jimmy Alapag as the Head Coach for Gilas for 2023 team as he may not be as hars headed as the older guy like Tim Cone to consider input from Tab...

    If indeed SBP is considering a European Coach for Gilas, one good choice is Coach Nenad Trunic who seemed to have a good relationship with Tab being one of the speaker in the latest Tabs World Hoop Clinics. Trunic previously was the Iran Program Director of their Youth team and former Head Coach of theur U16 team. Alapag would be the Head Coach, Trunic as Consultant, Tab as Program Director...

  10. #9570
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,724
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/tv5.esp...3fplatform=amp

    seems like the pba is contemplating to have a calendar shift from 3 to 2 conferences right now.
    This is a good development. I just hope this will materialize.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  11. #9571
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,724
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    how they will do it in the first place? it is easier said than done. i would like to hear more about their calendar shift than that adopting to euroball since the former is more feasible and realistic than the latter which means changing the system itself.

    with changes in calendar shift, changes in system may gradually follow since there will be an off-season for them to explore more a out their skills. off-season will also open the door from training camps as well as more pre-season tournaments overseas.
    Very much agree with you on this. Let this PBA calendar shift be the start of the changes Philippine basketball badly needs. The shift to Euro-style basketball won't happen overnight. It would be a gradual process. It doesn't take a genius to know that. Just by shortening the PBA season alone (hope it will realize materialize) will have a significant positive impact on Phi basketball. Its like minimizing consumption of pork & meat will have a significant positive impact on someone with a heart ailment.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  12. #9572
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,724
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    with changes in calendar shift, changes in system may gradually follow since there will be an off-season for them to explore more a out their skills. off-season will also open the door from training camps as well as more pre-season tournaments overseas.
    I remember during the mid-2000's, when then PBA Commissioner Noli Eala changed the PBA calendar by reducing the conferences from 3 to 2 & the PBA off-season from mid-December to late February to July to September, our National pool players were able to play in several international competitions. I remember the Jones Cup stints of coach Chot Reyes-mentored SMC-RP team in the 2005 & 2006 Jones Cup. Then, we also were able to play in the Brunei Cup in 2005 & 2006. We also played in a pocket tournament in Qatar. We even had 2 tune-up games against the 2006 FIBA World Cup-bound Lebanese National team in 2006.

    All these was made possible because of the PBA calendar shift & the shortening of the PBA season.

    The thing is, if the PBA off-season is scheduled during the months of July, August & September, that is when most international tournaments are held.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  13. #9573
    Senior Member TurboCharger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    364
    Country: UK

    Default

    OT: If you think Gilas fans are savage, just see the fans of WNVT. Toxic.

  14. #9574
    Senior Member TurboCharger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    364
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I remember during the mid-2000's, when then PBA Commissioner Noli Eala changed the PBA calendar by reducing the conferences from 3 to 2 & the PBA off-season from mid-December to late February to July to September, our National pool players were able to play in several international competitions. I remember the Jones Cup stints of coach Chot Reyes-mentored SMC-RP team in the 2005 & 2006 Jones Cup. Then, we also were able to play in the Brunei Cup in 2005 & 2006. We also played in a pocket tournament in Qatar. We even had 2 tune-up games against the 2006 FIBA World Cup-bound Lebanese National team in 2006.

    All these was made possible because of the PBA calendar shift & the shortening of the PBA season.

    The thing is, if the PBA off-season is scheduled during the months of July, August & September, that is when most international tournaments are held.
    It was just sad that we got suspended and the momentum died down. Noli Eala, for all his faults and misgivings is through and through National team man. I think the interest of Phi team is more of a priority for him than revenue of PBA even if he was the commissioner.

  15. #9575
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    876
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    WNVT fans are even more bipolar than Gilas fans.

    Im surprised theres no discussion here about the possibility of Tab returning to Gilas, now that there are articles surfacing about this. Then again, we all know here that this won't happen

  16. #9576
    Senior Member xenoloxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    4,048
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Tab begged off from Head coaching job. SBP will appoint him as director,

  17. #9577
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,634
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    Tab begged off from Head coaching job. SBP will appoint him as director,
    tab's job it to make a blueprint, a map where the program is heading to. he is the chief architect while the head coach is just his subordinate, the one who will realize the map/blueprint.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  18. #9578
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,739
    Country: Austria

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    WNVT fans are even more bipolar than Gilas fans.

    Im surprised theres no discussion here about the possibility of Tab returning to Gilas, now that there are articles surfacing about this. Then again, we all know here that this won't happen
    I don’t think Tab should coach Gilas again, not because he wouldn’t be good or perfect for the job but because if he fails to get wins the same thing that happened to coach Chot will happen to him again, it’ll just sour his legacy. He’s better off running the program as he’ll have more control that way anyways.

  19. #9579
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22,338

    Default

    so tab is in charge of talking to foreign teams in inviting them to play here or look for foreign pocket tournaments and training camp.. use his connection internationally
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  20. #9580
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pampanga, Phil
    Posts
    4,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    so tab is in charge of talking to foreign teams in inviting them to play here or look for foreign pocket tournaments and training camp.. use his connection internationally
    Thats a smart move actually for Gilas...Tab is the most respected Coach here in the Philippines by other countries and he has good relationships with other federations..

Page 479 of 483 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •