Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Philippine National Football Teams (Azkals, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paolylo View Post
    Quantify what you meant by "their speed". I only saw 3 Yemen players who actually had pace. The rest of them sat back waiting for the Azkals to cheaply give away possession and it played into Yemen's hands pretty well because Dooley has fallen in love with the high pressing, high back-lined 4-3-2-1 with both fullbacks going forward and the only ones Yemen needed to beat were Villanueva who's a natural midfielder and De Murga who played some fullback under Weiss ages ago. Welcome to International football. Not having your best players available isn't an excuse for a poor performance.
    They were pretty effective with their counters, they even scored one of their goals thru that, not to mention the other chances they got from running the break.

Originally posted by paolylo View Post
    2-2 is a fair result. Yemen came to Bacolod with that game plan of tricking everyone including you that they're faster when all they did was defend-and-counter like an early 2000's African team. The Younghusband brothers and Neil Etheridge saved the Azkals from a home defeat.
    And what, you're some sort of a Football genius who never got tricked by Yemen? LOL. Great for you, then. I would love to see you Coach the Azkals instead of Dooley.
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
      I don't see the troika of J YH, P YH, and Etheridge being replaced anytime soon. Even if we qualify for the AFC, we won't be able to progress to the knockout rounds with this kind of team. Frankly speaking, we've had no strykers since the formation of this team. The two YH's are midfielders who had to play as forwards. Same with Bahadoran. I really miss those days with Ángel Guirado where he was able to finish via his headers.

Let's face it, we don't have a plethora of talents from the grassroots that can compete at this level. We're gonna be stuck with Fil-foreigners for quite some time.
      The Younghusbands just breached the 30 mark in terms of age, I think they have around at least 2-3 more years in their prime before their skill level goes down too much.

There are promising youngsters out there like Jarvey Gayoso, but so far not at the level of PYH. The sad thing is that even among the Fil-Foreigners, there aren't any Younghusband level players out there to take his place in front.

Patino is of course a lot better than PYH, but he will also be 30 by next year. Manny Ott is only 25, so we are sort of okay there for awhile, but we need good finishers. Mike Ott and Kevin Ingreso were supposed to be that, but so far none yet.

Comment

• Somebody posted the entire Azkals-Yemen game online, here it is:

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
          They were pretty effective with their counters, they even scored one of their goals thru that, not to mention the other chances they got from running the break.

And what, you're some sort of a Football genius who never got tricked by Yemen? LOL. Great for you, then. I would love to see you Coach the Azkals instead of Dooley.

It's called opinion. No different from what everyone else does here in the PBA forums. Football tactics change more frequently than basketball styles and only those who actually played and have seen a lot of football from supporting clubs for decades would know this. High line with wing backs that go forward but the front men can't finish opens up easy counter attacks all match long. The ball travels faster than any run and the only thing that would have stopped those were counters were if Villanueva/De Murga/Munoz/Palla/Ingreso tried to run as fast as Usain Bolt to track back... obviously they can't so it's a shot on target every time Yemen won the ball. It's what any less-talented team does and it's proven to work... USA in WC 2010, Greece in Euro 2004, every African team who's made it past the group stage in the World Cup. I don't have to be footballing genius to figure out what went wrong.

You must have quite the echo chamber here posting about football in these basketball forums since no one really values your basketball opinions anymore. Head over to the philfootball forums nalang and let's find out if you're still a bad ass. Running the break? I can't take your football opinions seriously 'coz even your terms are mixed up.

Yup. We're having this conversation again after 7 years and it seems to me you're still a dumbass. I even read your military blog and even your facts are fucked up. The FA-50 is just a LEAD-IN FIGHTER TRAINER, seriously kill yourself before someone beats up your kids when they find out their dad is an idiot.

Comment

• Ryan Fenix's analysis of the Azkals-Yemen game ...

5 Things We Learned from Azkals' 2-2 Draw with Yemen

Published September 6, 2017 5:25pm
            By RYAN FENIX

Despite the absence of key players, the Philippines entered the AFC Asian Cup qualification match against lower-ranked Yemen as favorites to get the full three points and consolidate the lead atop Group F.

Yemen however, proved a tough nut to crack as it twice took the lead in the game.

New Davao Aguilas signings Phil and James Younghusband spared home side's blushes as they scored for the hosts,

The Azkals twice came from behind to level matters. In the end, the Philippines would be glad to earn a point as Yemen came close to getting the winner if not for a fine save for Neil Etheridge.

The Azkals still lead the group with seven points, but they have to improve significantly in the next three matches to ensure qualification to the Holy Grail — the 2019 Asian Cup in the UAE.

Here are five things we learned from the game:

1. The Azkals are still searching for a stable back four

Veteran Carli de Murga and Dennis Villanueva gallantly filled the void left by the injury to defensive stalwart Amani Aguinaldo and the suspension of the dynamic Daisuke Sato in the heart of the Azkals' defence.

But judging by their performances in the night, this was to be clearly going to a stopgap measure at best.

Championship side Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge admitted after the game that we would go a long ways back to remember the last time the Azkals had a stable back four. The days of dependable combination of Aly Borromeo, Rob Gier, and Juani Guirado seem long gone.

It seems like, with injuries, suspension and player unavailabilities, the back four is ever rotating, which of course doesn't bode well for any team's hopes of continually keeping clean sheets.

The Azkals' defense is not inspiring confidence at the moment, and with Amani out for a sustained period due to the dreaded ACL injury and Luke Woodland's status uncertain after sustaining an injury late in the game, the Azkals's defensive conundrum leave more questions than answers.

Simone Rota could conceivably plug the Amani sized hole, but ultimately Dooley has to find the answers soon, which has been staring the team in the face when Gier, Guirado and Jerry Lucena retired from international duty.

2. More disciplined midfield movement is needed

Manny Ott and Kevin Ingreso play as the two deep lying midfielders in the Ceres' 4-2-3-1 system.

They reprised that same role for the Azkals against Yemen, but with varying degrees of success.

Often in the first half, both would move up simultaneously leaving centerback Carli de Murga, admittedly not the quickest of players, exposed by the quick Yemeni forward or drawn out of position by an eventual Yemen diagonal ball.

The lack of positional discipline was evident when Phil Younghusband and Manny Ott were paired in the Suzuki Cup. Yet the same issues hound the team even with different characters involved.

It was hoped that Kevin Ingreso would be the defensive foil and to be the balance the team needed when one of the two central midfielders went forward.

Thomas Dooley has to instill this discipline in the soonest possible time, or develop is version of Claude Makelele, most especially as the back four is having a lot of issues at the moment.

3. We still have to market the Azkals in Bacolod

It cannot be stressed highly enough.

Just because the match is being played in Panaad Stadium in the football hotbed that is Bacolod, it doesn't mean that fans would automatically fill up the stands.

Just because fans pack the stands whenever the black and yellow of Ceres take the field, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will do the same for the red, white and blue of the Azkals.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/sport...h-yemen/story/)

Comment

It's called opinion. No different from what everyone else does here in the PBA forums. Football tactics change more frequently than basketball styles and only those who actually played and have seen a lot of football from supporting clubs for decades would know this. High line with wing backs that go forward but the front men can't finish opens up easy counter attacks all match long. The ball travels faster than any run and the only thing that would have stopped those were counters were if Villanueva/De Murga/Munoz/Palla/Ingreso tried to run as fast as Usain Bolt to track back... obviously they can't so it's a shot on target every time Yemen won the ball. It's what any less-talented team does and it's proven to work... USA in WC 2010, Greece in Euro 2004, every African team who's made it past the group stage in the World Cup. I don't have to be footballing genius to figure out what went wrong.
              Can we agree that Dooley is pushing this high-line, possession-based, and attacking style too much? I know he has good intentions but we don't have the talent to execute it. This same tactic nearly cost us the Kyrgyzstan game where we held on to win 4-3. Unless Dooley is crazy enough to ask Etheridge or Müller to be sweeper-keeper, the Yemenis (now confident that they can out run us) are out to get us in the next game where weather conditions favour them.
              GILAS WISHLIST:
              6'8 Pingris

Comment

You must have quite the echo chamber here posting about football in these basketball forums since no one really values your basketball opinions anymore. Head over to the philfootball forums nalang and let's find out if you're still a bad ass. Running the break? I can't take your football opinions seriously 'coz even your terms are mixed up.

Yup. We're having this conversation again after 7 years and it seems to me you're still a dumbass. I even read your military blog and even your facts are fucked up. The FA-50 is just a LEAD-IN FIGHTER TRAINER, seriously kill yourself before someone beats up your kids when they find out their dad is an idiot.
                How the hell is this is a "Basketball Forum" when clearly this is the "Asia Off Topic" section? It just shows the level of stupidity that is present in your head.

Seven years and you are still as frustrated that you can't come up with something similar that you resort in trolling me here at Interbasket? LOL.

And you think your opinions count, you who had to resort to flame-baiting and trolling just to get attention? I feel sorry for you, really. 'Bigay mo bank account mo, ng mabigyan kita ng beinte pesos para me kausap ka dahil kawawa ka naman, LOL.'

Comment

• A huge loss for the Azkals as I feel that overall, Manny Ott is the best Midfielder for the team mainly for his ability to retain the ball well and push it forward on offense.

If you look at the Azkals' highlight goals, you will see quite a number of them with Ott making those "Threading the Needle Passes" that eventually resulted in goals for the team.

Without Manny, somebody else will have to step up to the plate big time, but not sure who it will be, or even if there is somebody who can do as well as Manny.

Blow for Azkals & Ceres as Manny Ott Ruled Out for Six Weeks

Philippines have been a dealt a huge blow ahead of next Tuesday’s 2019 AFC Asian Cup qualifier against Yemen after midfield lynchpin Manny Ott was ruled out for six weeks with a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury.

The 25-year-old, who has established himself as a key member of Thomas Dooley’s side since 2014, announced the injury on his official Twitter account from Qatar, where their clash with Yemen will be played at the neutral venue of the Saoud bin Abdulrahman Stadium.

Ott’s injury will also have repercussions for club side Ceres-Negros, who are currently vying to be the inaugural champions of the Philippines Football League.

The Busmen are currently third on the table but are only trailing leaders Meralco Manila by nine points and have five games in hand, due to their AFC Cup commitments earlier this season.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more to go: http://www.foxsportsasia.com/footbal...ott-six-weeks/)

Comment

• Yemen 1 - 1 Philippines

This was painful to watch. A lot more aggravating than the last game. The Yemenis were clearly much better and had more opportunities to score more goals had it not been for Etheridge and our back line. All throughout the game I was asking myself, "what the hell is wrong with our offense?". Then the picture became pretty clear after the first Yemen goal. We had no finishers up front and our midfield was outplayed by the opposition. The services of Patiño, Bahadoran, and Shrock were really missed and could've helped us keep the midfield level. That equaliser was a rare opportunity gifted to us by the exhausted defensive side. I'm just glad we were able to capitalise. The hot and humid climate sort of favoured the Yemenis also.

The next game will be crucial. We need a W in order to secure our berth in the Asian Cup. We can do this.
                    GILAS WISHLIST:
                    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• I agree with most of your observations, just too many players missing. You can include Manny Ott there, too in that list.

As for Schrock ... He's a pretty good player, after all, not many Bundesliga level players among our local and Fil-Foreigner players. But I think the problem with him is that he also brings a lot of baggage into the team, mainly his ego.

No doubt he can be a value to the team, but he sometimes overstates his value. For example, I don't think he is the best Midfielder with the Azkals, I think it is Manny Ott. Ott is responsible for more goals and attempts for the Azkals mainly because of his superb passing.

Dooley did give Schrock the chance in 2015 and 2016 with the Azkals, in those years he was a mainstay with the team. But clearly Schrock's contribution in those years is marginal at best. He wasn't able to shine and help the team lead to the 2016 AFF Suzuki Cup, for example.

As for Yemen, it frustrates me that a team that is lower than us in the FIFA ranking could look so good out there on the field, better than even the higher ranking teams. They look a lot better than even the North Koreans, for example. But the Yemenis do love their Football, judging by the way their fans and TV hosts reacted.

As for as the next games, I think that at this level, Patino and Ott are the key. Without them, then the Azkals I feel will find it rough sailing. Good to see Mike Ott level up, though. We need more of that from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
                        I agree with most of your observations, just too many players missing. You can include Manny Ott there, too in that list.

As for Schrock ... He's a pretty good player, after all, not many Bundesliga level players among our local and Fil-Foreigner players. But I think the problem with him is that he also brings a lot of baggage into the team, mainly his ego.

No doubt he can be a value to the team, but he sometimes overstates his value. For example, I don't think he is the best Midfielder with the Azkals, I think it is Manny Ott. Ott is responsible for more goals and attempts for the Azkals mainly because of his superb passing.

Dooley did give Schrock the chance in 2015 and 2016 with the Azkals, in those years he was a mainstay with the team. But clearly Schrock's contribution in those years is marginal at best. He wasn't able to shine and help the team lead to the 2016 AFF Suzuki Cup, for example.

As for Yemen, it frustrates me that a team that is lower than us in the FIFA ranking could look so good out there on the field, better than even the higher ranking teams. They look a lot better than even the North Koreans, for example. But the Yemenis do love their Football, judging by the way their fans and TV hosts reacted.

As for as the next games, I think that at this level, Patino and Ott are the key. Without them, then the Azkals I feel will find it rough sailing. Good to see Mike Ott level up, though. We need more of that from him.
                        It spells the difference between a football-loving country from a non-footballing country.
                        GILAS WISHLIST:
                        6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Yes, you can actually see the passion they have for the game, there is a lot of it. In a way they deserve to have such a strong team also because of that.

Comment

• Good news, but not really reflective of what is really our strength in South East Asia, or anywhere for that matter

Azkals Jump Seven Places in FIFA Rankings

ABS-CBN News
                            Posted at Oct 16 2017 04:40 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Azkals have again climbed up the FIFA men's world rankings.

As of October 16, the Philippines is ranked 116th, moving up seven places from where they were in
                            September (123).

This, after they held Yemen to a 1-1 draw in the third round of the Asian Cup qualifiers last October 10 in Qatar.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/10/16...-fifa-rankings)

Comment

• The Cardiff City Player Who's a Superstar and Model with more than 700,000 Twitter Followers in the Philippines

The Bluebird is quite a sensation in his home country

Chris Wathan Chief Football Writer
                              18:16, 20 OCT 2017

Games at Middlesbrough often represent one of the longest away days in Cardiff City’s season.

For the Bluebird whose home games require a 14-hour flight – and that’s if it’s direct – it suddenly doesn’t seem so arduous.

“Fortunately, I manage to sleep most of the way,” laughs Neil Etheridge, the Cardiff goalkeeper who has made his long journeys ‘home’ to the Philippines for almost a decade.

And that’s not including any further flights, such as the one from Manila to Kathmandu the 27-year-old international will make for next month’s game with Nepal.

It begs the question why, especially given the summer signing from Walsall is trying to best to establish himself as Neil Warnock’s go-to goalkeeper while Lee Camp edges back to fitness in the background.

There are those who dismiss the attraction or importance of international football, plenty who have called time on commitments to their country to focus on club matters.

Having accepted the invitation to represent the Philippines at the age of 18 and having been part of the developing football nation’s most historic moments, Etheridge is not among them.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” he says of his 56-cap career for the ‘Azkals’ – the nickname of the national team that translates as ‘stray dogs’.

“I’ve been able to travel and see some fantastic, interesting places and different cultures. I’ve never regretted it.”

It’s easy to understand. Already an England Under-16 international, the tall shot-stopper was approached by the Philippines FA while he was a youth-team player at Fulham.

With his mother, Merlinda, born in the Tarlac province in the north of the south-east Asia island country, they had eyed the Enfield talent as a potential recruit as they looked to boost the credentials of their national team.

He initially turned down the offer, citing both an ambition to play for England and being aware of the barriers of travelling and language.

By 2008, when he had begun to break through at Craven Cottage, he was persuaded by former teammates at Chelsea’s junior sides who had already declared an allegiance.

Together with those friends – brothers James and Phil Younghusband – Etheridge has gone on to make history several times over.

They recorded a run to the semi-finals of AFF Cup (a tournament between the southeast Asia nations) in 2010, won their first-ever World Cup qualifier in 2012 against Sri Lanka, and now stand a couple of results away from qualifying for the full Asian Cup for the first time.

As the player in the Philippines’ ranks at the highest level of club football, Etheridge is considered quite a star.

It may not be on the level of the Philippines’ greatest sporting export Manny Pacquiao, but his efforts for the Azkals – and a spot of modelling – have helped him build up a Twitter following of more than 700,000.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rstar-13792088)

Comment

• Bukidnon Lad Living his Dream

Saturday, November 11, 2017 By JACK BIANTAN CAGAYAN DE ORO

AZKALS coach Thomas Dooley just this week surprised everyone when he named Ceres-Negros FC newbie Joshua Dutosme from Malaybalay, Bukidnon, to the 23-man Azkals that will play against Nepal in Kathmandu, the capital city of the Himalayan country on Nov. 14.

The 21-year-old midfielder is just new with the Ceres-Negros FC but despite of his very few exposures with Busmen, coach Dooley might have seen something from this young lad.

Joshua got his professional contract with Ceres-Negros FC just this August after impressing the coaching staff with his stellar performances for the University of St. La Salle-Ceres Bacolod in the local leagues.

He could have joined other professional clubs in the Philippine Football League but he preferred Ceres as the club is also the sponsor of his school, USLS-Bacolod, where he finished his Marketing degree last March.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de...s-dream-574238)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information