AJ Edu thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robert0326
    Most of PBA centers are slow... they can't defend perimeter, w/c is international basketball is all about... Edu's calling card is defense, and we badly needed that...
    On the highlight video I've seen how AJ was able to chase the opposing team's wingmen beyond the 3-pt arc & go back & forth from the low post to the perimeter with relative ease. Guys like Junmar, Slaughter & Japeth would struggle big time to do that. Even Poy Erram's laterals won't be enough to get the job done.

Impressive talaga laterals ni AJ. I think his Afro genes is really a big factor for that.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Here's my take about AJ Edu: I see him as a better fit for Gilas than a Junmar Fajardo, and its not becoz AJ is more skilled than Junmar (I believe Junmar at this point is more skilled than AJ offensively), but simply becoz AJ's skill set & mobility are more suited to the FIBA game.

Junmar was very relevant with Gilas in the last 9 years or so becoz of what he can bring to SMB in the PBA & we didn't have enough choices as our premier center in the national team during those times. The thing is, Junmar's skill set is that of an old school big man which earns his points mostly from back-to-the-basket low post plays. But that won't really work in the FIBA game as Junmar would be defended by equally tall/big or even taller/bigger & more skilled centers of opposing teams. How would Junmar fare against an Ahmed Al Dwairi or even a past prime Hamed Haddadi? How would Junmar fare against Lebanon's big naturalized players or China's Zhou Qi? How would Junmar fare against those highly skilled centers of New Zealand who can easily hit those 3-pointers?

Hindi uubra yung mga low post moves ni Junmar against those centers. Junmar also is just too slow & immobile to defend those PnR or pick & pop plays - which is something that AJ Edu can easily do given his mobility, agility & athleticism. AJ may not have the repertoire of low post that Junmar has but in the FIBA game, post up plays are the thing of the past. Limited nalang yung mga post up plays sa sa FIBA game ngayon. What is more important for bigs right now are quickness, mobility, & some outside shooting - aspects that AJ Edu posseses.
      agreed. this also applies to most pba stars vs college players who have fiba experience. veteran pba players are so used to pba rules that they commit too many fouls/turnovers once they start playing under fiba rules. tab's 2021 gilas team would easily beat an all-pba selection under fiba rules.

to be fair to junmar though his post offense is pretty strong even by fiba standards. he outplayed all of senegal's bigs in the 2014 word cup, including nba player gorgui deng. he does need excellent playmakers (blatche & alapag) in order to do that though

Comment

• For me, junemar was always topnotch offensively. So any of those mentioned in Asia and Oceania; junemar can take offensively. The issue with junemar is always in the defensive end. But not his ability to score.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
          For me, junemar was always topnotch offensively. So any of those mentioned in Asia and Oceania; junemar can take offensively. The issue with junemar is always in the defensive end. But not his ability to score.
          He's not that bad in FIBA in defense,if only the defensive schemes were more pressure on the opponents guard,that means he had time to be in front of his man.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
            For me, junemar was always topnotch offensively. So any of those mentioned in Asia and Oceania; junemar can take offensively. The issue with junemar is always in the defensive end. But not his ability to score.
            JF is okay against middle east teams, outside their NPs big men are normally heftier & slower.

Comment

• Originally posted by magic_chiongson View Post
              agreed. this also applies to most pba stars vs college players who have fiba experience. veteran pba players are so used to pba rules that they commit too many fouls/turnovers once they start playing under fiba rules. tab's 2021 gilas team would easily beat an all-pba selection under fiba rules.

to be fair to junmar though his post offense is pretty strong even by fiba standards. he outplayed all of senegal's bigs in the 2014 word cup, including nba player gorgui deng. he does need excellent playmakers (blatche & alapag) in order to do that though
              The best player of that Senegal team was Gorgui Dieng. He was one of the top statisticallyin the whole tourney. But he was intentionally or accidentally head butted by De Ocampo. After that Dieng was never the same. It allowed Junemar to attack the paint. But if you think about it it was RDOs head butt that allowed us to win the game.

Comment

No, his perimeter defense is always bad.. remember he was responsible on having 30 pt burst of Zhigulin in 2019 WC qualifiers, He is also responsible of Koreans explosion in 2017 QF of FIBA Asia because he was always left out by every offensive players of Korea... Even last SEAG when we lose to Indonesia, He was always outrunned by DMX and Bolden, The last possessions of Indonesia is with Bolden... Bolden knows that Junmar can't catch up with him on speed and mobility... That's why Junmar should improve his defense.. He can give you double double output everytime but he always give the opponents double of his output more... His defense is always a suspect....
                The best defensive Junemar was the slimmed down one in the OQT. He was still abused somewhat in the perimeter. But he was good enough that his offense and rebounding was a net positive.

If Tab stayed on, Junemar would have maintained the slim body. He wouldve improved defensively more. And with the lesser weight he wouldnt have broken his leg.

Comment

• https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...220903-fbfirst

Edu said the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) invited to come over and be part of the Gilas pool for the World Cup Asian qualifiers, including the recently concluded August window.

But knowing fully well he’s still not at a 100-percent healthy, Edu chose not to accept the invitation at the moment.

“Yeah they communicated it with me, and had I been 100 percent healthy, would have played some games this summer,” he said.

“But I decided it was best for me to use this summer to make sure I can get back to full fitness, have a good season with Toledo, and then focus on Gilas while being to be at 100 percent.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Rds View Post
                    The best defensive Junemar was the slimmed down one in the OQT. He was still abused somewhat in the perimeter. But he was good enough that his offense and rebounding was a net positive.

If Tab stayed on, Junemar would have maintained the slim body. He wouldve improved defensively more. And with the lesser weight he wouldnt have broken his leg.
                    Agree. Had they allowed jmf to slim down, lessen his minutes by at least 5 in the pba, and allowed him to play under coach tab more, gilas and smc would have a much stronger jmf.

Comment

No, his perimeter defense is always bad.. remember he was responsible on having 30 pt burst of Zhigulin in 2019 WC qualifiers, He is also responsible of Koreans explosion in 2017 QF of FIBA Asia because he was always left out by every offensive players of Korea... Even last SEAG when we lose to Indonesia, He was always outrunned by DMX and Bolden, The last possessions of Indonesia is with Bolden... Bolden knows that Junmar can't catch up with him on speed and mobility... That's why Junmar should improve his defense.. He can give you double double output everytime but he always give the opponents double of his output more... His defense is always a suspect....
                      With Junmar you gotta have a mobile 4 to help him with the tall bigs,perimeter and midrange shooters,but once he's established on a certain spot or player,he can get his timing right and he's still a wide body on the paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                        https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...220903-fbfirst

Edu said the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) invited to come over and be part of the Gilas pool for the World Cup Asian qualifiers, including the recently concluded August window.

But knowing fully well he’s still not at a 100-percent healthy, Edu chose not to accept the invitation at the moment.

“Yeah they communicated it with me, and had I been 100 percent healthy, would have played some games this summer,” he said.

“But I decided it was best for me to use this summer to make sure I can get back to full fitness, have a good season with Toledo, and then focus on Gilas while being to be at 100 percent.”
                        Hopefully, AJ is 100% healthy when we need him next year.

Since, SBP Contacted him.

I think he is still a semi shoo in for the lineup In World Cup

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                          Hopefully, AJ is 100% healthy when we need him next year.

Since, SBP Contacted him.

I think he is still a semi shoo in for the lineup In World Cup

He's in a "One Day At A Time",mode,he will announce he's ready probably during mid season of their NCAA season,by that time he already know,if he can take it to the next level.

Comment

• Here's a thread on AJ by Ryan Alba: https://twitter.com/_alba__/status/1...R-k-NoCnQ&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                              Here's a thread on AJ by Ryan Alba: https://twitter.com/_alba__/status/1...R-k-NoCnQ&s=19
                              Eagerly awaiting Edu's return. Definitely an upgrade for Erram. The perfect complement to Sotto.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by live_evil View Post
                                Eagerly awaiting Edu's return. Definitely an upgrade for Erram. The perfect complement to Sotto.
                                AJ is playing in the same conference as Mongolian Mike. Hope they meet.

AJ is a model Student-Athlete. While nursing his injuries, he concentrated on getting better, not just physically but more important, academically as he graduated and earned his college degree as summa cum laude. I think he has 1 year of eligibility left, and is probably enrolled taking up his masterals. Good job AJ

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information