How to Appreciate Football for Basketball Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Appreciate Football for Basketball Fans

So, if you are a Basketball fan, a game where scores comes in droves, how do you appreciate Football, which is the exact opposite of Basketball where the scores rarely reaches double figures for both squads?

Well, it's a matter of perspective. First of all, it helps if you are rooting for a team, then you are more invested in how they will do.

'Scoring'
    Second, realize that since scoring in Football is relatively rare, then each score becomes more important, certainly a moment for celebration. You can't say the same for Basketball wherein at least two points are scored every twenty or so seconds.

When somebody scores points in a Basketball game, you can't really celebrate it the way it is in Football, unless it is the last two minutes of the game. So somebody scores two points early in a Basketball game and you say, "meh". The same thing happens in Football and you say, "GOL-GOL-GOL-GOL-GOL-GOL!!!"

Third is that a GOOD Football game is one that has A COUPLE OF ATTEMPTS ON TARGET, meaning a shot that is either saved by the Goalkeeper, or a score is made. I would agree that any Football game without seriously threatening the goal within 45 minutes is generally a boring game also.

Generally it takes four serious tries to score one goal, so you would expect a game that ends in a 1-0 scoreline to have at least 6-7 Shots on Target all throughout the 90 minutes of the game.

'Possession'
    Since scoring is rare in Football, it's not the only thing you watch out for, there are a lot of other stuff which you need to look out for to determine how well your team is doing.

First there is POSSESSION, is your team able to at least maintain possession of the ball? In Basketball, possession really is not much of a problem since each team is awarded possession at least every 24 seconds.

Not so in Football. If your team is constantly chasing their opponents with the ball and are unable to maintain possession for long before it is stolen from them, then they are in for a bad day.

'Final Third'
    Now, if your team is able to maintain possession, then what they hell are they able to do with it? Are they able to move forward and at least reach the "Final Third" of the Pitch (meaning the area of your opponent's Pitch approximately around the Penalty area)?

If your team is unable to reach and maintain possession in the final third, then they have problems as they will not be able to mount a serious attempt at the goal.

Look also as to how the team is moving the ball forward to the final third: Are they using long, overhead passes (called "Long Balls")? Or are they building it up thru a neat passing game, moving forward and evading opponents by passing towards each other with the ball rolling on the ground (also called a "Ground Game")?

A good team will use a combination of these two, sometimes building up when moving forward, and occasionally using long balls to catch the opponent off guard.

Also look for "Switching Plays" where the team moves the ball from left to right, trying to attack which is the weaker side or "Flank". Oftentimes, teams will find a weaker flank sooner or later.

'Finishing'
    Learn to appreciate the finishing skills of a team. Scoring in Football is usually made when the ball is kicked from the flanks and into the Penalty Area where a player can kick or head it off to the goal. Such a pass is called a "Cross", and this is the "normal" or more common way of scoring in Football.

But just like in Basketball, there is a tendency for teams to crowd the Penalty Area (or the "Shaded Lane" in Basketball), so there is a need to take an Outside Shot to draw opponents out and loosen their defense in the Penalty Area.

Such a shot is usually a "Volley" from outside the Penalty Area, and if you make enough near goals then the opponents will be forced to extend their defense which will allow better opportunities for scoring off Crosses.

Another way to score in Football is thru "Set Pieces" such as "Free Kicks" (when a player with the ball is fouled) or "Corner Kicks" (when the opposing team touches a ball that goes out of bounds behind the goal). This is when a team is allowed to take a Shot on Target for "free", or similar to a "Free Throw" in Basketball.

A decent team will have a the ability to make good Crosses that at least finds somebody in the Box; Are able to make volleys from outside or around the Penalty Area to threaten the goal; And are able to make Set Pieces that will at least find somebody in the Box.

'Personal Skills'
    Last is to appreciate the skills of the players, like their ability to pass accurately and quickly, and their ability to control the ball after it is passed to them, or what is called the "First Touch".

A good player is one who can make really good, ACCURATE passes over long distances either thru long balls or rolling thru the ground.

However, equally important is the ability of the player receiving the pass to control the ball. This is one skill most non-Football fans take for granted, it is NOT easy to control the ball once it is passed to you.

Good players though are able to control the ball just right no matter how off the angle or how hard the ball is passed to them, and if they can control ball well with their first touch then they will be able to make a serious attempt at the goal, especially when they are near or inside the Penalty Area.

'Parting Shot'
    I hope this helps. First step really is to watch the Azkals play, so naturally you are invested to root for them. The level of play of the Azkals now under Coach Dooley is really pretty good, so much so that you can find most if not all of the above items I discussed being used.

Then you can move to watching the UFL and the UAAP. The level of play in the UAAP is generally not as good yet, but they are improving each year. And what they lack in level of play, they make up for in intensity, lots of people now watch the UAAP Football games, each cheering loudly.

If you can, watch the games LIVE instead of on TV and watch out for the things I noted above, then you will be able to appreciate the game better ...
    Last edited by rhk111; 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM.
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

'Opening Goal'
    Remember also that the team that scores first in the game (called the "Opening Goal") already has the advantage because to lose, their opponents will now have to score TWICE. If the opponent scores only once, then the game ends in a Draw and nobody loses.

'Quick Finishing'
    I noted above the importance of "Possession" in order to be able to seriously threaten the goal, but there are EXCEPTIONS to this, especially at the higher levels of Football, like at the National Team or International Club Football games.

An example is the Malaysian National team, for example. They are not really known as a team with a great ground game, unlike the Thais which are really fantastic when it comes to that, but they do have a superb passing and finishing game.

Just when you think they are losing since they aren't doing a lot of possession, they can just quickly hit you with a goal. Just one good long ball in and around the box, and they have some really good players who can finish even if they are far from the goal and only have a second to catch and hit that ball. This is why they won over the Thais in the last Suzuki Cup.

'International Club Football'
    One nice thing about Football is the abundance of International Club competitions around the Asian region. Our UFL teams have been participating and doing real well lately in such competitions, and it is always good to root for the local team, whether it is at Club or National team level.

Comment

Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
      'Opening Goal'
      Remember also that the team that scores first in the game (called the "Opening Goal") already has the advantage because to lose, their opponents will now have to score TWICE. If the opponent scores only once, then the game ends in a Draw and nobody loses.

'Quick Finishing'
      I noted above the importance of "Possession" in order to be able to seriously threaten the goal, but there are EXCEPTIONS to this, especially at the higher levels of Football, like at the National Team or International Club Football games.

An example is the Malaysian National team, for example. They are not really known as a team with a great ground game, unlike the Thais which are really fantastic when it comes to that, but they do have a superb passing and finishing game.

Just when you think they are losing since they aren't doing a lot of possession, they can just quickly hit you with a goal. Just one good long ball in and around the box, and they have some really good players who can finish even if they are far from the goal and only have a second to catch and hit that ball. This is why they won over the Thais in the last Suzuki Cup.

'International Club Football'
      One nice thing about Football is the abundance of International Club competitions around the Asian region. Our UFL teams have been participating and doing real well lately in such competitions, and it is always good to root for the local team, whether it is at Club or National team level.
      。。。。。。。
      Last edited by McCalebb2015; 05-21-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McCalebb2015 View Post
        Football is unique. If football is a car, basketball is just a bicycle.Basketball is no match for football.
        I wouldn't go trolling Basketball in a mainly Basketball forum. I am just sharing what I know and hopefully that will help some people appreciate Football better.

Also, some people asked me to come up with this guide, hence I am doing it ...

Comment

Kaya FC plays the Malaysian Club "Johor Darul Ta'Zim" tomorrow, Wednesday, May 25, 2016 for the Round of 16 of the AFC Cup. It will be shown live on Fox Sports 3 starting at 8:45 pm, so a good opportunity to try to learn how to watch Football for everyone.

Johor Darul is a tough team, though, here is a preview: http://www.the-afc.com/afc-cup-2016/...aya-fc-preview

Comment

What do you think about the proposal to remove draws from football in elimination rounds and have draws decided by either penalty shootouts or the ADG system (each team will select 5 attackers and 5 defenders, then one at a time, the attackers will try to score past the other defenders and the goalie)?

With no more draws, it's either you win or you lose, every goal would count and be decisive, so teams, especially underdogs, will try to stall games only to reach the penalty shootout, which is pretty much the only way an underdog can win against a vastly superior opponent. If the OP can provide us with some of the greatest upsets that did not need any penalty shootout, and that includes the Azkals' 3-2 win against North Korea, that would be amazing.

American non-football fans realized after Team USA's remarkable trip to the Top 16 of the 2014 World Cup that they can actually appreciate such a low scoring game because it's not the lack of scoring that makes sports boring, it's lack of DECISIVE scoring, i.e. that score that decides THE WHOLE GAME.
            Originally posted by gideon
            Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
              What do you think about the proposal to remove draws from football in elimination rounds and have draws decided by either penalty shootouts or the ADG system (each team will select 5 attackers and 5 defenders, then one at a time, the attackers will try to score past the other defenders and the goalie)?

With no more draws, it's either you win or you lose, every goal would count and be decisive, so teams, especially underdogs, will try to stall games only to reach the penalty shootout, which is pretty much the only way an underdog can win against a vastly superior opponent. If the OP can provide us with some of the greatest upsets that did not need any penalty shootout, and that includes the Azkals' 3-2 win against North Korea, that would be amazing.

American non-football fans realized after Team USA's remarkable trip to the Top 16 of the 2014 World Cup that they can actually appreciate such a low scoring game because it's not the lack of scoring that makes sports boring, it's lack of DECISIVE scoring, i.e. that score that decides THE WHOLE GAME.
              I think it is a good idea, but I prefer the Penalty Shootout rather than the ADG system.

As for teams stalling and just waiting for the Penalty, I highly disagree with that. I think that a team that just "Parks the Bus" in their side of the Pitch will eventually lose, simply because you cannot absorb that many attacks without the opponent scoring a goal or so.

I've seen it happen before with Azkals under the previous Coach wherein they would play defensively, trying to keep the score low, but if the opponent is really good, they will eventually breakthrough. It is highly demoralizing to be out there saving shot after shot of near goals, and sooner or later the defense gets tired and/or loses more morale, and then that's it, a goal or so is scored ...

Comment

The game yesterday wasn't a good one, not for us, anyway. It was JDT all throughout the game. Not only did they dominate possession, they also were able to raid our Final Third at will. JDT was last year's CHAMPION of the AFC Cup, by the way, no wonder they were so good. And the Malaysians always have fantastic finishing.

About the only good thing about the game is that we managed to score some goals, at least something to cheer about ...

Last edited by rhk111; 05-26-2016, 01:18 AM. Reason: Changed "JDL" to "JDT".

Comment

I think it is a good idea, but I prefer the Penalty Shootout rather than the ADG system.

As for teams stalling and just waiting for the Penalty, I highly disagree with that. I think that a team that just "Parks the Bus" in their side of the Pitch will eventually lose, simply because you cannot absorb that many attacks without the opponent scoring a goal or so.

I've seen it happen before with Azkals under the previous Coach wherein they would play defensively, trying to keep the score low, but if the opponent is really good, they will eventually breakthrough. It is highly demoralizing to be out there saving shot after shot of near goals, and sooner or later the defense gets tired and/or loses more morale, and then that's it, a goal or so is scored ...
                  But with no other way for underdogs to upset the favored teams...
                  Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

But with no other way for underdogs to upset the favored teams...
                    Not really, as long as you have good finishing, you can always upset a stronger team. The Malaysians were the underdog in the 2014 Suzuki Cup against the Thais, and they they still won.

Don't discount also the power of the 6th man. The Azkals were the underdog against North Korea, but we beat them on our home turf with the help of our home crowd.

Remember that North Korea is a WORLD CUP TEAM, they participated in the 2010 World Cup, and yet we beat them ...

Comment

Let us relive one of the greatest moments in Azkals history just this year, when we BEAT a WORLD CUP TEAM ...

Comment

Not really, as long as you have good finishing, you can always upset a stronger team. The Malaysians were the underdog in the 2014 Suzuki Cup against the Thais, and they they still won.

Don't discount also the power of the 12th man. The Azkals were the underdog against North Korea, but we beat them on our home turf with the help of our home crowd.

Remember that North Korea is a WORLD CUP TEAM, they participated in the 2010 World Cup, and yet we beat them ...
                        Not to mention we held a WORLD CUP TEAM to a scoreless draw on their home turf UNDER FREAKING DURESS in a VERY hostile territory.

A long time criticism of the Azkals is the Fil-Fors playing for the team. As Philippine Football is still improving, I like it that the PFF is slowly adding more and more homegrown talent as time passes on. The time will come when we can field a competitive full-strength football team with most if not the whole team composed of homegrown players, and I strongly believe it will come in our generation as more and more kids are now into football and more people are seeing the potential of the Filipino footballer to succeed internationally in a game where height is only one advantage, and is therefore not required.

Philippine Azkals. Slow and Sure. Sa Tamang Panahon.
                        Last edited by judasmartel; 05-28-2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Not to mention we held a WORLD CUP TEAM to a scoreless draw on their home turf UNDER FREAKING DURESS in a VERY hostile territory.

A long time criticism of the Azkals is the Fil-Fors playing for the team. As Philippine Football is still improving, I like it that the PFF is slowly adding more and more homegrown talent as time passes on. The time will come when we can field a competitive full-strength football team with most if not the whole team composed of homegrown players, and I strongly believe it will come in our generation as more and more kids are now into football and more people are seeing the potential of the Filipino footballer to succeed internationally in a game where height is only one advantage, and is therefore not required.

Philippine Azkals. Slow and Sure. Sa Tamang Panahon.
                          Yeah, the rise of the Azkals is also improving our homegrown Football scene, and this is most obvious in the UAAP. A couple of years ago the competition there tend to be limited to just a few teams with a deep tradition of Football. But this year, the competition for the Final Four went right down the wire, with six teams vying for it on the last day.

Also you can see the improvement in the play: Better passing and better finishing, and more use of real tactics and strategies rather than just throwing the ball out front and waiting for luck to happen ...

Comment

This is a good example of a good Football game even if the scores ended up being nil-nil simply because there were a LOT of exciting combination plays that resulted in good shots at the goal that were prevented only at the last second ...

Comment

So, I have decided to follow football now that basketball these days suck, but I have no idea what each position in football does other than the GK being the last line of defense and the strikers and midfielders as the main offense players. So any clarifications on what each position does on the football field and what are their equivalent positions and jobs in basketball, like the GK being the rim protector and the strikers and midfielders being the scoring guards and forwards, respectively?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information