Page 361 of 585 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,220 of 11683

Thread: The Kai Sotto Thread

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    I think he's saying that we should use the Asia Cup to give exposure to the young players, something I've been saying ever since.
    Do you think the Gilas with younger players could qualify for 2021 FIBA ASIA CUP without veteran players? The rules state that to qualify; after three (3) windows, the Top two (2) teams from each group will qualify for the FIBA Asia Cup 2021.
    The six (6) third placed teams will advance to play a final qualifying tournament in February 2021 and the Top four (4) from this tournament will qualify for FIBA Asia Cup 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Do you think the Gilas with younger players could qualify for 2021 FIBA ASIA CUP without veteran players? The rules state that to qualify; after three (3) windows, the Top two (2) teams from each group will qualify for the FIBA Asia Cup 2021.
    The six (6) third placed teams will advance to play a final qualifying tournament in February 2021 and the Top four (4) from this tournament will qualify for FIBA Asia Cup 2021.
    Young guns should take over now after SEA games with a mix of vet and young PBA studs.

C - Kai
    PF- EDU
    SF-Paras
    SG - Naturalized (brownlee, clarkson, Mccullough, Blatche)
    PG - ravena

SG - Parks
    SG- Ildefonso
    PG - JGDL
    C- JMF
    PF- Japeth

PG - Tamayo
    SG abando

I do.

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    To me the heights are adequate already, it's more do the players mentioned for a position already play those positions? AJ - plays center, Kobe plays 4, Thirdy
    plays 3. Additionally have they've played significantly together using those positions.. (has Kobe ever played with Kai?
    Unless both happen and regularly then it's really pointless and wishful thinking

That's where a regular national team program is so so critical! Kung wala, it's really just fantasy style basketball
    AJ can play the 4 position, he even played the 4 position in their team's NIT game last season. Kobe played the wing position in US(High school and college), yes he played the 4 position with UP Maroons but it is not the traditional 4 position that limited only in post-up plays, he played in the perimeter(slashing to the basket and shooting threes), defending the perimeter and post with his help defense. As for Thirdy, 2 and 3 position are the same(swingmen), small forward are just taller than shooting guard..

I do.
    I respect your opinion but for me a mixed-up of veterans and young guns should be the core group for the 2021 and future Gilas..

Quote Originally Posted by cireeex View Post
    I thought I was watching Hakeem Olajuwon.
    Who wouldn't be impressed by that kind of moves?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

AJ can play the 4 position, he even played the 4 position in their team's NIT game last season. Kobe played the wing position in US(High school and college), yes he played the 4 position with UP Maroons but it is not the traditional 4 position that limited only in post-up plays, he played in the perimeter(slashing to the basket and shooting threes), defending the perimeter and post with his help defense. As for Thirdy, 2 and 3 position are the same(swingmen), small forward are just taller than shooting guard..

AJ definitely a 4,Kobe played a combo forward last SEAG,but it looks he's comfortable in playing 3,if only he can be a combo Forward/Guard,that would raise the height in the 2 position for sure.Hopefully Thirdy grow into a fulltime 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Porzingis has no post up game so maybe the comparison isn't good after all haha. Seriously though Kai has elite passing as well.

So what would you suggest sir, forget about the FIBA Asia Cup 2021 and concentrate on FIBA World Cup 2023? And I think only Kai and Edu are good enough for the 2023 starting lineup while the 2 and 1 position are still reserve or better for a veteran or with experience players. The 3 position should be for the naturalized player..
    I think he's saying that we should use the Asia Cup to give exposure to the young players, something I've been saying ever since.
    I think, by that it means that the Gilas kids will come in not try to simply gain experience, but also to come in trying to compete and win.
    Its like with the 2014 Asian Games, where our Gilas seniors competed with a very young chinese lineup. Those chinese kids won against Gilas with a very young lineup that time (18 [youngest] and 25 [oldest], 21-24 [ave. range age]).
    Imagine, the two oldest chinese players were 25 years old, while the two youngest in Gilas, were 25 years old.
    Hence, I think, in 2021, if we are already qualified, let us also bring in 19-24 yr old Gilas Cadet kids, to play in FIBA ASIA. That would be a good, competition and training ground for them. It would be great if they can reach the semis during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaVi View Post
    I think, by that it means that the Gilas kids will come in not try to simply gain experience, but also to come in trying to compete and win.
    Its like with the 2014 Asian Games, where our Gilas seniors competed with a very young chinese lineup. Those chinese kids won against Gilas with a very young lineup that time (18 [youngest] and 25 [oldest], 21-24 [ave. range age]).
    Imagine, the two oldest chinese players were 25 years old, while the two youngest in Gilas, were 25 years old.
    Hence, I think, in 2021, if we are already qualified, let us also bring in 19-24 yr old Gilas Cadet kids, to play in FIBA ASIA. That would be a good, competition and training ground for them. It would be great if they can reach the semis during that time.

For me I want to see the majority of the Cadets at the 2022 Asiad,with JC and RM and a about 3 PBA vets,so about 7 of the best Cadets.

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    Porzingis has no post up game so maybe the comparison isn't good after all haha. Seriously though Kai has elite passing as well.
    I think Kai at 17 years old is more skilled than when either Zhou Qi or Hamed Hadadi were at the same age. I've seen Zhou Qi's game when he was 18 & I think his skill level wasn't in the same level as Kai possesses at this stage.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

So what would you suggest sir, forget about the FIBA Asia Cup 2021 and concentrate on FIBA World Cup 2023? And I think only Kai and Edu are good enough for the 2023 starting lineup while the 2 and 1 position are still reserve or better for a veteran or with experience players. The 3 position should be for the naturalized player..
    I think with some preparation we can compete.
    If ateneo can get to the semis of a jones cup competition, what more a fully prepared gilas youth, were some of them had competed in the world level of u19. I think, some u19 teams are far better than the likes of a kazakh, india, or qatar senior team. So, we can maybe, be as competitive as other seniors national team come FIBA-ASIA 2021

We are grouped with what, Korea, Indonesia & Thailand, and as you said, 2 teams from each group would qualify?

If we get the young stars in the PBA right now like CJ Perez, Parks, Kiefer, to play alongside Kai, Edu, Thirdy, Dave ildefonso, Kobe Paras, then reinforced the team with National team veterans' Junmar, Almazan, Pogoy, Wright & Stanhardinger (as our NP), I think we won't have problems sweeping our games against Thailand & Indonesia. I'm very confident about that.

It would be a shame if we don't make it to the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup

Quote Originally Posted by PaVi View Post
    I think with some preparation we can compete.
    If ateneo can get to the semis of a jones cup competition, what more a fully prepared gilas youth, were some of them had competed in the world level of u19. I think, some u19 teams are far better than the likes of a kazakh, india, or qatar senior team. So, we can maybe, be as competitive as other seniors national team come FIBA-ASIA 2021
    A national team composed of a PBA-select & cadet players, say 7 PBA players & 5 cadets can accomplish the job, in my opinion.

That's why we are saying that Kai's skillset is a mix of Jokic and Porzingis.

That comparison probably stems from the fact that they have similar height, so therefore, because they have the same height they probably have the same moves, tendency and whatnot which is a very wrong to compare two people.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I think it's perfect to match a player like Kai with a SG who plays like MJ or Kobe Bryant. That duo would be unstoppable imo.

Jalen Green and Kai in the same team maybe?

Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous123 View Post
    I think it's perfect to match a player like Kai with a SG who plays like MJ or Kobe Bryant. That duo would be unstoppable imo.
    I prefer someone who attract defense who can also pass the ball like Lebron or Luka. Hoping Lakers or Mavs will pick him on 2021 draft.

For the sake of those who don't want comparing pinoy to NBA Superstars. Let's just use the scouting report said that Kai is a rich man's Alexis Ajinca. And I think they are right. But hopefully Kai will play in NBA longer than Ajinca though.

We could have our tallest lineup in history with twin towers Kai and Blatche and a 6'9 SF in Aj. While Kobe might not fit at the SG spot, Parks can sub in if needed..

My fantasy lineup would be:

Coach: tab

C - Kai 7'2
    PF - Blatche 6'10
    SF- EDU 6'9
    SG-Paras 6'6
    PG - ravena 6'1

C- JMF - 6'10
    PF- Japeth 6'9
    SG - Parks - 6'4
    SG- Ildefonso 6'3
    PG - JGDL 6'1