Page 344 of 466 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394444 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,880 of 9302

Thread: The Kai Sotto Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    So shoot instead of driving?

Guards and forwards will want to challenge that interior defense,see if you can get the 5or4 farther out of their comfort zone by penetrating their defense,hence you see them trying even tho between Kai and Jordan will produce close to 20 blocks a game.With Jordan the opponents will almost will release the ball just before the full contact,with Kai they really want to push it,but it seems Kai is getting better in reading the trajectory or path of the opponent.If this keeps up he might games with double digit blocks,might even break the TSF records of most blocks in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    Yeah,but the physical contact against a big man is something a little not looking forward to,even TR realized his 175lbs.frame takes a beating everytime he makes contact,hence the bulkup.At least against the skinnier Kai,you can still see the ring,with Jordan,you looking up at a widebodied blocking the sun kinda guy.
    When you drive and you get contact that's most probably freethrows. I think players will choose to drive where there's better chance to score whether it from layup or freethrows.

I suggest you need to take your medicine

Outside the PBA do they have “The man with the million moves” Papa James Yap or Mark The Spark Caguiao!? WALA

PBA the best league in Asia maybe even the world.

Quote Originally Posted by geohunk View Post
    That dude plays soccer...this is a basketball forum. So to you fricken believers in here..where are our locally produced talents who have been given D1 offers in basketball??Name me even one the past 30 year...ano wala??Nga nga kayo noh??

Face it Kai is an exception because he is over 7 feet tall with rare skills and talent for a filipino player and he is fully supported by his family and local sponsors. But outside of him meron pa ba?? WALA!

Quote Originally Posted by geohunk View Post
    Teka...supposedly we have the oldest professional basketball league in Asia, and it is supposed to be our national pastime...why is it that this hasn't happenned for the past 30 years that I've been actively observing this sport locally? Why have we not been a producer of world class talents since then? Why have we not even produced one locally born talent in the NBA? Bakit kulelat parin tayo in the World or even the Asian stage the past 30 years? We can't even get a Gold medal in the Asian Games for crying out loud!! O sige go ahead and give me a rebuttal you fricken PBA die hards!!

Yes you have a valid point and I totally agree with you with this statement:

why is it that this hasn't happenned for the past 30 years that I've been actively observing this sport locally? Why have we not been a producer of world class talents since then? Why have we not even produced one locally born talent in the NBA? Bakit kulelat parin tayo in the World or even the Asian stage the past 30 years?

And the reasons for that has been discussed extensively in several threads in these forum.

Let me elaborate though, on the point of my post.

Since the discussion was if we don't have enough talents that can make D1 scouts come here, I suggested why not do this option like what this company is doing wherein they "sort of force" them to come here and take a harder look (I used "sort of force" because I believe that company sold the idea to the scouts to come here since there are golf talents here and the company has a valid point since we have and had several former golf whiz kids playing in D1 schools). So yeah, I was suggesting to why not explore the same idea in basketball.

As for my statement: I think if they do this for basketball we will also get a handful D1 offers every year.

While I believe that our grassroots and player dev't program has lead us (and one of the main reason) to, as you mentioned kulelat in basketball, I still believe that we have a handful of players worthy of D1 offers.

By handful I mean around 2-4 players a year.

Like if we force those scouts to come here. We showed them 30-50 of our best players, around 2-4 of them will get at least lukewarm D1 inquiries maybe a serious offer if exceptional potential like Kai. The scouts will consider giving them an offer coz they will see that even if these 2-4 players are undersize for their position, raw, lacks necessary skillset for a certain position but they will see potential. Not good enough for NBA kind of potential but can-contribute-to-our-team-right-now kind of potential.

IMHO, I believe a LeBron Lopez, Dave Ildefonso or Tamayo is worthy of D1 lukewarm inquiries. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ricci and Arvin Tolentino got D1 inquiries too? That's considering they are undersize and lacks some important skillset for their position.

So in short, I don't see those 2-4 player D1 offers having a Remy Martin contribution/impact to an D1 team, not even a AJ Edu impact but barely to good enough to crack a D1 team like Troy Rike.

my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by crush View Post

Let me elaborate though, on the point of my post.

As for my statement: I think if they do this for basketball we will also get a handful D1 offers every year.

While I believe that our grassroots and player dev't program has lead us (and one of the main reason) to, as you mentioned kulelat in basketball, I still believe that we have a handful of players worthy of D1 offers.

By handful I mean around 2-4 players a year.

Like if we force those scouts to come here. We showed them 30-50 of our best players, around 2-4 of them will get at least lukewarm D1 inquiries maybe a serious offer if exceptional potential like Kai. The scouts will consider giving them an offer coz they will see that even if these 2-4 players are undersize for their position, raw, lacks necessary skillset for a certain position but they will see potential. Not good enough for NBA kind of potential but can-contribute-to-our-team-right-now kind of potential.

IMHO, I believe a LeBron Lopez, Dave Ildefonso or Tamayo is worthy of D1 lukewarm inquiries. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ricci and Arvin Tolentino got D1 inquiries too? That's considering they are undersize and lacks some important skillset for their position.

So in short, I don't see those 2-4 player D1 offers having a Remy Martin contribution/impact to an D1 team, not even a AJ Edu impact but barely to good enough to crack a D1 team like Troy Rike.

my two cents.
    I actually don't disagree with the assessment , (we would get 2- 4 players getting so called lukewarm or in the bubble interest), Recruitment is very much about establishing a relationship with a program...for none high recruits , (guys who may get little PT as freshmen) the difference from those who are recruited and not , really isn't so much about talent, but is more about commitment to the program, relationship and character , attitude. The thing is those things cannot happen unless the coach or selectors have some kind of established program , relationship or channel with the prospects. (similar to St Mary's with Australia)- It's not actually unfeasible to set-up a similar like Set-up , where maybe 1 to 3 colleges (mid majors maybe) hold annual camps in Manila that includes the best prospects getting opportunity to train 1 or 2 months in the US ( school) during summer annually.. If you set something like that and it's done annually ( US and Manila camp) and there are no Manila schools that dangle " money" to these top prospects , then yeah it's feasible.. Put it this way if AJ grew up here and Lasalle made the similar offer of dangling money , security for their family- parents (and they were of need) , chances are he won't be playing in the US now!
    Last edited by analyzed; 11-17-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

^
    some might take my post in the wrong way , suggesting then it means we have the "talent" , what we have is potential players who need to be developed that could be prime talents. That's different from just mere raw talent and abundance of it , which isn't the case for the Philippines and neither is it the case that there is an abundance of "developed talent" - which unfortunatley we don't have the development environment to produce these developed talent.
    Last edited by analyzed; 11-18-2019 at 12:08 AM.

To be clear on the difference between "developed talent and "high recruitable talent. Use the illustration of comparing Tall Blacks - 6' 4 " Tai Webster (developed talent who was NBA undrafted but developed nicely in Nebraska and palying in FIBA) with 6'4 ish RJ Hampton (18 yr old- New Zealand breaker - whose a projected 2020 NBA lottery pick) .

If you were to make an objective assesment of who's better between the 2 during their draft class ( R J Hampton- 2020 or Tai Webster- 2017) many will vote it Tai Webster was the better player , he was producing much better in OQT than RJ is doing for the Breakers- yet Tai was undrafted and RJ is likley to be a top 10 pick in 2020.. why? NBA drafts based on potential! RJ at 18 yrs old is showing much of that.

Why am i talking about all of this.? People need to understand the different levels of talent we're talking about... and basically the rate of the top high raw and developed tier level of talents from our rival nations in the region far out number that we have in our country. it's just blatantly obvious.
    Having said that , of course we can improve our producing of "developed talent" if we get our act together
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

TSF national (kai’s team) will be playing TSF pro. 1:00 am manila time

Edit livestream:https://youtu.be/lF5kHTZpI2M
    Last edited by TheRodster21; 11-18-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    TSF national (kai’s team) will be playing TSF pro. 1:00 am manila time
    oh wow against a pro team. this will test kai.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279 View Post
    i'm shaking my head with how kai is playing. he was not running back to defend quickly. he also was even trying to defend or may be tad slow. his posture is also big no - he is slouch. i know rudy gobert is a bit slouch but he is damn athletic and quicker while sotto is not. i think tsf should work on kai's cardio in order for these kid to increase his speed and quickness. if they cannot do that, i think kai won't make it to the nba.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    i'm shaking my head with how kai is playing. he was not running back to defend quickly. he also was even trying to defend or may be tad slow. his posture is also big no - he is slouch. i know rudy gobert is a bit slouch but he is damn athletic and quicker while sotto is not. i think tsf should work on kai's cardio in order for these kid to increase his speed and quickness. if they cannot do that, i think kai won't make it to the nba.
    Huh? The game hasn't started yet....

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    Huh? The game hasn't started yet....
    i am referring to the other game.

i am referring to the other game.
    Which one? IMG, or ABI

Which one? IMG, or ABI
    kai played fine in both those games.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Which one? IMG, or ABI
    the img game. stats, sometimes, can be deceiving to how a player actually played inside the court. kai can have 20 blocks or more but one on one, his opponent will get past into his d. his posture is much closer than haddadi than porzingis - hukot. do you think nba gm's, scouts and coaches will like that?
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by B L A C K S U N View Post
    Well, tbf Japeth and Kobe are rare types of athlete here in the Philippines.
    He was replying to this dude geohunk who said
    where are our locally produced talents who have been given D1 offers in basketball??Name me even one the past 30 year...ano wala??Nga nga kayo noh??

Give the kid a break, he has been continuous improving his game and is giving a good account of himself against some of the best HS players in the US. his stats are not lying.

I agree, at this age (17 or 18) he should be full of energy and should be really active. It doesn't mean that Kai won't improve but it's a bad sign and is a good indication on what Kai's game might be 5 years down the line which might be a wang zhizhi type of player instead of a Porzingod/thon maker type of player

the img game. stats, sometimes, can be deceiving to how a player actually played inside the court. kai can have 20 blocks or more but one on one, his opponent will get past into his d. his posture is much closer than haddadi than porzingis - hukot. do you think nba gm's, scouts and coaches will like that?

Any good defender can be taken out of his D once in awhile specially if the opponent has a quick step.His posture is much imporved compared to what we saw back in U16-U19,when he gets frustrated he just sinks a couple inches shorter.Its just a habit,he's much better in standing tall nowadays.

Page 344 of 466 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394444 ... LastLast