Page 210 of 252 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 5028

Thread: The Kai Sotto Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Porzingis is just flash for now. The guy just had a major knee injury in his 2nd year. I dont think his play is sustainable at his 7'3 height. So why do we want Kai to model his game on this guy?

There’s been rumours that the knicks have been tanking and as a result been keeping Porzingis sidelined.

I mean there’s video evidence online of him sprinting when he’s supposed to be recovering according to the knicks.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.espn.c...3fplatform=amp

Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    the headline says Barcelona and Madrid 'fight' for Kai Sotto, the future basketball star". with flojo saying ".go to Spain and get fit for the Real's youth team. Madrid"
    so i am assuming flojo has an inside info regarding the recruitment.
    I dont think Kai will grow to 7'3. Even if he stays at 7'1 I would be happier. Pinoy players in general dont grow after their 16 so I hope he doesnt grow anymore.

Being among the tallest humans on earth has always come with its challenges, but it used to be a golden ticket to basketball stardom. Not anymore, as Boban Marjanovich, Tacko Fall and all of the game's new era 7-footers are finding out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...re-is-changing

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    There’s been rumours that the knicks have been tanking and as a result been keeping Porzingis sidelined.

I mean there’s video evidence online of him sprinting when he’s supposed to be recovering according to the knicks.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.espn.c...3fplatform=amp
    We'll see next season. I prefer he be compared to players who have a longer body of work. Porzingis had an incredible rookie year. But even then injuries have crept in. The NBA has not been kind to players 7'2 and up. Porzingis style of play doesnt seem to be knee friendly. I prefer Kai model himself to more earthbound but effective players.

Look, there's only one eternally successful strategy-cum-skill in basketball and Queen sang about it. It's the "i wanna break free" repeatedly fatal moves. PGs and SGs with superior ballhandling and body control abilities are natural with this, as the stupendous success of a midget like iverson well establishes.

Sotto and the rest of our bigs just have to hone to perfection their one-second freeing moves and their shots are unstoppable.

But they have to develop the freakish athleticism of say giannis and KAT because blue-collar industriousness in rebounding and ego-crushing blocking PREVENTS the opposing teams from winning.

The games are much easier if they are just yours to lose.

Kai needs his father for one year at most in spain or germany. Any pinoy who worked or studied abroad knows this simple adjustment. The older sotto, for crying out loud, is not the ceo or coo of a multibillion dollar holding group in the philippines. He can drop his local job because his family is hardly risking millions of pesos in that job. Even the slow witted knows the younger sotto loses out on good chances of earning several hundred thousands or millions of usds if he stays here.
    Last edited by ccharmed; 03-13-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    I dont think Kai will grow to 7'3. Even if he stays at 7'1 I would be happier. Pinoy players in general dont grow after their 16 so I hope he doesnt grow anymore.
    I think it would still be better for Kai to end up as a legit 7-foot-3 than ending up being just 7-foot-1. A 2-inch height disparity has a significant effect on a player.

I think if Yao Ming was 2 inches shorter, he would not have been that "big" a player in the NBA.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Umm to prolong his career? Would you rather have him bang low against monsters? With his current physique I'd rather have him avoid excessive contact IMO
    Was thinking, if we look at the local guys, Kai can patern his game after arwind Santos (he doesn't bulk up but improves ability and speed) but that might be prone to injuries. How about Ramon Fernandez? Not a explosive, not that strong either but isn't slow and exudes in "gulang"

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Was thinking, if we look at the local guys, Kai can patern his game after arwind Santos (he doesn't bulk up but improves ability and speed) but that might be prone to injuries. How about Ramon Fernandez? Not a explosive, not that strong either but isn't slow and exudes in "gulang"
    I think "El Presidente" did very well during his era becoz players then weren't as tall, hefty, physical & strong as they are today. Not to take away anything from Mon Fernandez, he is such a special player, a true legend. I think he is the most versatile player of all time for Philippine basketball. What made him such special is that for height & position, he had such a pretty decent dribbling skills & passing. But I strongly believe that if a prime Mon Fernandez plays in the PBA today, he would have some trouble banging bodies with the current big men in the PBA. Also, Mon couldn't use his quickness & dribbling skills operating in the perimeter (as he used to during his era) as there a lot of mobile & good size forwards in the PBA today who could easily keep in step with him. Guys like Kelly Williams, Norwood, Dilinger, Sean Anthony, Arwind Santos would be able to guard Mon Fernandez in the perimeter.

Sorry for the OT
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    right. and my ideal built for kai is like that of gobert. he also must watch his diet as he told is an interview he can consume 12 cups of rice in one sitting, which i say is bad for an athlete
    Last edited by balong; 03-13-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    right. and my ideal built for kai is like that of gobert. he also must watch his diet as he told is an interview he can consume 12 cups of rice in one sitting, which i say is bad for an athlete
    He and his family go out for samgyupsal once or twice a week, which means he's also getting proteins.
    Keep running, big boy.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I think "El Presidente" did very well during his era becoz players then weren't as tall, hefty, physical & strong as they are today. Not to take away anything from Mon Fernandez, he is such a special player, a true legend. I think he is the most versatile player of all time for Philippine basketball. What made him such special is that for height & position, he had such a pretty decent dribbling skills & passing. But I strongly believe that if a prime Mon Fernandez plays in the PBA today, he would have some trouble banging bodies with the current big men in the PBA. Also, Mon couldn't use his quickness & dribbling skills operating in the perimeter (as he used to during his era) as there a lot of mobile & good size forwards in the PBA today who could easily keep in step with him. Guys like Kelly Williams, Norwood, Dilinger, Sean Anthony, Arwind Santos would be able to guard Mon Fernandez in the perimeter.

Sorry for the OT
    Quite ironic that players today spend hours in the gym to build their bodies yet basketball is being played so soft while in the past, players were mostly thin yet Basketball was rugged. Anyway, Ramon Fernandez was like 6'5" but if you have a 7'3" version of him and maybe even a bit quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    ... But I strongly believe that if a prime Mon Fernandez plays in the PBA today, he would have some trouble banging bodies with the current big men in the PBA. Also, Mon couldn't use his quickness & dribbling skills operating in the perimeter (as he used to during his era) as there a lot of mobile & good size forwards in the PBA today who could easily keep in step with him. Guys like Kelly Williams, Norwood, Dilinger, Sean Anthony, Arwind Santos would be able to guard Mon Fernandez in the perimeter.

Sorry for the OT
    Mon Fernandez skills, speed, strength, toughness, and agility was a product of his environment at that time. It means that all those things that made him a legend during his time is because he adjusted his capabilities to rise up to the challenge.
    Hence, a prime El Presidente playing in today's PBA would most likely be a point forward/ sf type of player. He would also most likely be more skilled in his ball handling, shooting, and defensive capabilities. And he would be a taller, and smarter rebounder than Bong Hawkins. Most probably he would also be shooting the 3.
    In short, he is most likely a more skilled, fundamentally sound, and game changer Arwind Santos. Remember that El Presidente was able to apply his game in the asiad and I believe he had also played in the WC.
    So, players like Mon Fernandez, and Caloy Loyzaga WILL definitely be able to stomp their class in todays pba. Add in Benjie, Samboy, Kenneth, and Vergel to that mix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    He played that way because that was how he was trained, According to the head scouter of stellazura academy they're more or less the same at the same age. Once kai goes to Europe they'll work on his physical weaknesses, honestly I really do think hes similar athletically and mobility wise to Porzingis. Porzingis though has the benefit already of training in Europe by this age. It'll be interesting how much Kai's physical attributes will improve in Europe.

* head scout not head of the academy also the same scout by the way who discovered Porzingis
    Exactly, that's why I'm excited to see what Kai's potential is and to reach that he needs to train abroad. Here, the only skill set our local coaches will let him develop is his post move and how to use his height advantage over our 6'3 - 6'8 centers.

Abroad they will work on his dribbling, shooting, how to defend properly using your feet, etc. They will train him to become a modern big man which I think is the only way he can crack the NBA.

Right now, I disagree, he isn't as mobile as Porzingis was at 16 but with proper training abroad, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post
    Exactly, that's why I'm excited to see what Kai's potential is and to reach that he needs to train abroad. Here, the only skill set our local coaches will let him develop is his post move and how to use his height advantage over our 6'3 - 6'8 centers.

Abroad they will work on his dribbling, shooting, how to defend properly using your feet, etc. They will train him to become a modern big man which I think is the only way he can crack the NBA.

Right now, I disagree, he isn't as mobile as Porzingis was at 16 but with proper training abroad, who knows.
    This is my expectation as well, maybe they could develop him to a better Athlete.Making him more mobile and improving his strength while gaining experience in going up against quality bigs who are as big as him.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post

If 16 year old Porzingis played all his formative years in the PHILIPPINES too he'd probably look worse than Kai right now

Kai himself said he's 7'2 and his father told in one of his interviewed Kai is 7'2...which one is true?

Quote Originally Posted by onggok View Post
    Kai himself said he's 7'2 and his father told in one of his interviewed Kai is 7'2...which one is true?
    I will guest, both?
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by onggok View Post
    maybe 7'2 with shoes, 7'0.5" w/o shoes and a 7'4" wingspan..

A Pau Gasol type of outcome might be a reasonable expectation if Kai trains in Spain. Let's hope Kai's dream would be bigger than Ateneo's greed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow, there is so much hype with his decision. It is like the LBJ decision when he moved to Miami from Cleveland. Where will Kai bring his talents?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 210 of 252 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast