Page 196 of 243 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4853

Thread: The Kai Sotto Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    If we were to remove any bias, he carried his team to a 13th out of 15 place finish and 2 wins. That’s not really impressive not to mention the fact that he wasn’t really consistent in his dominance and choked against Oumar Ballo. I can see where the scout is coming from since he’s probably used to watching higher level teams.
    The other teams had several good players, even Ballots had another dominant team mate. If ballo player for batang gilas and Kai played for Mali, ballo will struggle worse as he can't create shots for himself. On the other hand, Kai would've done better as he is not the only focus of the defense.

I suggest watching the Adidas Next Gen Tournament, Valencia leg on the Valencia basket youtube channel. The Europe based bigs in that tournament, born 01/02, are more polished than Ange Kouame. That's the level of play the scout is most probably used to.

Quote Originally Posted by c_d View Post
    I suggest watching the Adidas Next Gen Tournament, Valencia leg on the Valencia basket youtube channel. The Europe based bigs in that tournament, born 01/02, are more polished than Ange Kouame. That's the level of play the scout is most probably used to.
    kung polished ang pag uusapan wala ang college imports natin jan unless youre named ben mba who is a more of a forward..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    kung polished ang pag uusapan wala ang college imports natin jan unless youre named ben mba who is a more of a forward..
    Coz most of the college imports statrted playing basketball late, perhaps already in college. Even kuoame, it's obvious that he is still very raw. He's just doing well because of his superior size, strength and athleticism. Comparing him even to 16yo Kai sotto, the latter is by far a lot more polished both skill wise and in the understanding of the game despite the former being older by 3 or 4 years

nice fake and drive to the hoop by kai..

https://twitter.com/abscbnsports/sta...351848960?s=21

Watching the UAAP juniors games its getting more evident that its high time for Kai Sotto to move to an environment where he'll grow more as a player.

From the stats that's he's been producing (25 ppg, 13 rpg) he'll be the run-away MVP of the UAAP juniors barring Ateneo for any will not make it into the finals.

Its not that he's been dominating every opponent but its because noone can really match him height-wise when he's 10 ft or nearer from the goal.
    Actually there is much to be desired. At his height (7'2'') he should be dominating all his match ups every time because all of them are at most at his shoulder level at most.
    His height is imposing but he clearly needs to add mass to impose his will inside the paint and not be pushed away just like he's been most of the time (means getting more rebounds and put-backs).
    Well his skill and decision making is a cut above the rest in the UAAP juniors pool given his mobility and non-akwardness considering his height and youth, that's why he's making wonders for his team.
    But that advantage is what is barring him to be of his potential. He needs quality opposition to be among the best.
    Well everything is stating the obvious.

All will agree that STAGNATION is the ultimate fear for this kid. He has to improve at a certain RATE ( skill level over time).

SKILL
    Skill-wise he has to develop a steady jumper to offshoot when he's denied an inside position. ( btw he has a very good shooting stroke)
    He also needs to develop the skill of putting the ball on the floor which is very handy when he's playing in international competitions when he's given a chance to drive inside against opponents near or of the same size.
    Consistent 3 point shot ( btw he's shooting 50% (4/8) from the 3 this season)
    Polished post move.

TIME
    Well its now or ASAP. The future and hype ( internationally ) is on his side at the moment.

I hope he'll really move after this juniors season. Echoing an article in Thestepien :

" but until Sotto proves that he can use his excellent size and mobility on both ends of the floor at a top level of junior competition, he won’t be moving up my rankings "
    Last edited by cireeex; 01-17-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Eye test on uaap junior competition... Kai Sotto shouldve leave immediately, in his case kasi he needs the same competition which is in europe or us..His right competition locally will be a 5-8 minute run in seniors team just like his game against lebanon.. just testing the waters.. few bumps from senior counterparts but the mentality and decision making should be the same as the pros.

If guys like Scottie Pippen asking Zion to shut down and prep for nba as what Bol Bol have done, I will advise the same to kai sotto, just do development drills after school, his stock will not go up even after winning the juniors championship and a risk of fallling down in just one injury..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Talking about Kai's improvement,

The best way to milk a "downgraded" competition, if that is really the case, is to make almost impossible goals in order to elevate one's game and skill.
    A common thing is say, having a guaranteed 7 blocks per game, 8 assists per game, and possible 5 made three points per game. These are mere examples though, but Another set goal, is what Bill Russell said in one of his interviews - He pursues 0 field goals on the opponents first 5 attempts. these kinds of "GOALS" can help Kai to be more focused and improve his game.

Another thing, if Kai will not go abroad, I hope he will be allowed to represent Gilas youths in SEABA and SEAG. I agree with the others that the SEAG should be the Olympics for our National player high schoolers and college students.

One thing I’d like to point out about Kai that I’ve noticed for a while now but Kai doesn’t block easy shots. His timing seems fine but sometimes he’ll just put his hands up and even if the shot is easy to block he does not swipe it. He’s got for develop that killer instinct more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    One thing I’d like to point out about Kai that I’ve noticed for a while now but Kai doesn’t block easy shots. His timing seems fine but sometimes he’ll just put his hands up and even if the shot is easy to block he does not swipe it. He’s got for develop that killer instinct more.
    Agree, he should have some degree of gigil, assert his presence. He should have the kg-like intensity

He should always be part of Senior pool team right now. But for his first test for Senior competition, I think Jones cup with the Ateneo Senior team. Next is SEA games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    Agree, he should have some degree of gigil, assert his presence. He should have the kg-like intensity
    Nikola Jokic
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001

Quote Originally Posted by balong View Post
    I like the demeanor of TD instead. KG is all noise, after a while the league has gotten used to it. What i do like about kai is he has a mean streak. He will leave an elbow here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Nikola Jokic
    Jokic is very talented but intense he is not

Quote Originally Posted by cireeex View Post
    Watching the UAAP juniors games its getting more evident that its high time for Kai Sotto to move to an environment where he'll grow more as a player.

From the stats that's he's been producing (25 ppg, 13 rpg) he'll be the run-away MVP of the UAAP juniors barring Ateneo for any will not make it into the finals.

Its not that he's been dominating every opponent but its because noone can really match him height-wise when he's 10 ft or nearer from the goal.
    Actually there is much to be desired. At his height (7'2'') he should be dominating all his match ups every time because all of them are at most at his shoulder level at most.
    His height is imposing but he clearly needs to add mass to impose his will inside the paint and not be pushed away just like he's been most of the time (means getting more rebounds and put-backs).
    Well his skill and decision making is a cut above the rest in the UAAP juniors pool given his mobility and non-akwardness considering his height and youth, that's why he's making wonders for his team.
    But that advantage is what is barring him to be of his potential. He needs quality opposition to be among the best.
    Well everything is stating the obvious.

All will agree that STAGNATION is the ultimate fear for this kid. He has to improve at a certain RATE ( skill level over time).

SKILL
    Skill-wise he has to develop a steady jumper to offshoot when he's denied an inside position. ( btw he has a very good shooting stroke)
    He also needs to develop the skill of putting the ball on the floor which is very handy when he's playing in international competitions when he's given a chance to drive inside against opponents near or of the same size.
    Consistent 3 point shot ( btw he's shooting 50% (4/8) from the 3 this season)
    Polished post move.

TIME
    Well its now or ASAP. The future and hype ( internationally ) is on his side at the moment.

I hope he'll really move after this juniors season. Echoing an article in Thestepien :

" but until Sotto proves that he can use his excellent size and mobility on both ends of the floor at a top level of junior competition, he won’t be moving up my rankings "
    I think they have been doing it the right way, focusing first on skills, mobility and athleticism. If Kai grows muscles right now, he can just do away with dribbling, shooting those mid range and three point shots, he'll just bulldoze his way in the post and he'll get his points easily. That's how I see it, his lack of strength today forces him to use skills, finesse and outside shooting, that's very evident in their game against NU. And kai is still growing, body mass and strength will come once he stop growing vertically and his body starts to widen. for now I'd like to see Kai put that ball on the floor and shoot more of those running jumpers

That amusing moment when your power forward is taller than your center

link

Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post

link
    I think he's been playing four whenever chiu is also playing. They can't put chiu at four simply because he is smaller because he is also a lot slower. Did you see Kai's three point attempt from the bench LOL kid really has got to range. And he now has pretty good handles close to that of prime kerby Raymundo. I think Jun limpot's handles should be good enough but kid is just 16, he can be even better

Kai is MVP of the UAAP jrs.

“The 7-footer averaged 25.1 points, 13.9 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks per game for the defending champion Blue Eaglets, which finished the elimination round with an 11-3 win-loss record and the second seed in the Final 4.”

https://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/02/1...ap-juniors-mvp

Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post

link
    happens often with KG, duncan, dirk, pau gasol

Quote Originally Posted by magic_chiongson View Post
    happens often with KG, duncan, dirk, pau gasol
    Still find it unusual, since it's been ingrained in me that the center is the tallest player, though I do understand why it has to be done at times (ex. taller player is a better stretch player, more agile, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    I think he's been playing four whenever chiu is also playing. They can't put chiu at four simply because he is smaller because he is also a lot slower. Did you see Kai's three point attempt from the bench LOL kid really has got to range. And he now has pretty good handles close to that of prime kerby Raymundo. I think Jun limpot's handles should be good enough but kid is just 16, he can be even better
    I've actually seen him make a three in the R2 UST game. I like the fact that he's added that option to his arsenal

Page 196 of 243 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast