Page 349 of 349 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349
Results 6,961 to 6,978 of 6978

Thread: The Kai Sotto Thread

  1. #6961
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    416
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    Its gonna be the advantage of kai in the long run. The Philippines is an untapped market for an actual player. Us teams will see kai as the Wang zhizhi of Philippine basketball. Even though he will be a fringe nba player to fringe rotation player, the amount of dollars he will rake in will be much more than the money he will make as a player on a rookie scale contract
    Seriously what do you mean by that statement? how did you come up with the idea that he will bring money in?
    sure he's got some pinoy fans but do you think those fans are going to spend money?
    and what untapped market are you talking about? we have 3 NBA stores before all gone because nba products are not marketable here,
    I am not a six footer, so I play heavy metal instead...

  2. #6962
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,962
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monsoonxvi View Post
    Sneaker companies, teams and executives are paying attention to social media popularity. You'll notice how Kai is being headlined even by TSF now. This will make execs notice how rabid/loyal Pinoy fans are, if they haven't already.
    Hopefully Kai keeps his focus on actual skills development rather than "building his brand." coughkobecough. Sorry makati ang lalamunan ko.

  3. #6963
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    19,283
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beansent View Post
    Seriously what do you mean by that statement? how did you come up with the idea that he will bring money in?
    sure he's got some pinoy fans but do you think those fans are going to spend money?
    and what untapped market are you talking about? we have 3 NBA stores before all gone because nba products are not marketable here,
    some nba pinoy fans rather buy fake nba jerseys in greenhills or divisoria than spending 2k for a jersey(correct me if i'm wrong)

  4. #6964
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beansent View Post
    Seriously what do you mean by that statement? how did you come up with the idea that he will bring money in?
    sure he's got some pinoy fans but do you think those fans are going to spend money?
    and what untapped market are you talking about? we have 3 NBA stores before all gone because nba products are not marketable here,
    Sad reality. If only likes and shares could be converted to cash..

  5. #6965
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,825
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    Hopefully Kai keeps his focus on actual skills development rather than "building his brand." coughkobecough. Sorry makati ang lalamunan ko.
    Correct. Becoz those possible product endorsements will vanish in thin air if Kai doesn't turn-out to be the player everyone envisions him to be. His basketball skills/potential would still be his bread & butter.

    So Kai registered 15 pts., 9 rebs & 3 blocks while ranged against a former legit NBA big man in Josh Smith with an NBA career average of 14.5 ppg & 7.4 rebs/game. That's no mean feat for a 17-year old kid. Even if it was just a pick-up game, coming-up with such stats against a retired legit NBA center, who is not that old anyway (33 years old), is no mean feat.

    I think if Kai continues to play high level basketball, if he gets used to playing against big & quality opposition, he will no longer have the so called intimidation factor that had hounded most of our National team big men in the past.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  6. #6966
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    when is the next game?
    On the 22nd - 23rd

  7. #6967
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beansent View Post
    Seriously what do you mean by that statement? how did you come up with the idea that he will bring money in?
    sure he's got some pinoy fans but do you think those fans are going to spend money?
    and what untapped market are you talking about? we have 3 NBA stores before all gone because nba products are not marketable here,

    This is the truth,Kai's popularity and money will be from the US or other Asian countries,Pinoy fans will not shell out loads of money for his merchandise,and the NBA can ignore the Philippine market and that's not a big loss.Its the Filipinos who needs the NBA,US NCAA,US HS,so its still the rich Pinoy basketball phenom who can have access to stardom in the US,if they can afford to bankroll their way in.Its not the Pinoy fans who will contribute a peso here and there.

  8. #6968
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,396
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    This is the truth,Kai's popularity and money will be from the US or other Asian countries,Pinoy fans will not shell out loads of money for his merchandise,and the NBA can ignore the Philippine market and that's not a big loss.Its the Filipinos who needs the NBA,US NCAA,US HS,so its still the rich Pinoy basketball phenom who can have access to stardom in the US,if they can afford to bankroll their way in.Its not the Pinoy fans who will contribute a peso here and there.
    Kai will help his nba team at least on the gates specially if he ends up playing for a city that has big Filipino population. I'm sure filams will buy his authentic jerseys too

  9. #6969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    If you take away all the media attention hype the level of prospect output being developed is really really thin from the Philippines, we can have all the alibi, but what it really comes down to is we simply do not produce enough reasonable NBA level prospects. The lack of Size and athelicisim is one aspect but it is also our lack of development environment for high school players
    So, we should send all our UAAP, NCAA and HS College and etc... basketball talents to New Zealand, where there’s ample environment for development... and so it will please you to finally just shut you up... it’s in my prayers.

  10. #6970
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,396
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Correct. Becoz those possible product endorsements will vanish in thin air if Kai doesn't turn-out to be the player everyone envisions him to be. His basketball skills/potential would still be his bread & butter.

    So Kai registered 15 pts., 9 rebs & 3 blocks while ranged against a former legit NBA big man in Josh Smith with an NBA career average of 14.5 ppg & 7.4 rebs/game. That's no mean feat for a 17-year old kid. Even if it was just a pick-up game, coming-up with such stats against a retired legit NBA center, who is not that old anyway (33 years old), is no mean feat.

    I think if Kai continues to play high level basketball, if he gets used to playing against big & quality opposition, he will no longer have the so called intimidation factor that had hounded most of our National team big men in the past.
    I thnk Kai is already better than slaughter. A couple of years more and he's already better than junmar

  11. #6971
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    507
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    The fatal weakness lies in baller development, and coaching, in the high school level. The best players of good collegiate teams like letran and ust are very short players. Nonoy, like other 5'8 midgety guards will eventually be included in national teams to take on 6'5 and taller PGs like 6'10 aussie simmons.

    As it is very obvious that there are thousands of pinoy six footers from 14-17, the fault obviously lies in coaching itself. In serbia, they directly discourage small players from entering formal school pools, as they just take away baller development spots from taller youths with more upside. Nonoy's reflexes and agility actually looks promising for a gymnast, like the pinoy gold medalist trained in japan. Of course recognition from friends and schoolmates and pro money in the philippines applies almost always to basketball and occasionally, boxing, so most boys will kill for a varsity spot in basketball only. It is a heavy cultural thing, as almost no coach or parent discourages short players from looking for engagement in other sports where height matters less. Even rarer is a pinoy coach who will require himself, as a matter of professional pride, to develop at least 2 doncic level players EVERY YEAR from 6'5 and taller boys. More often than not, he will let bigs become donkeys and not doncics.

    It will break your heart seeing other world class pinoys like a disheveled bata reyes fighting for meal allowances in small time betting in dirty billiard halls in youtube. This does not happen to mere pba level stars, and all pinoy baller dreamers know this.
    Last edited by ccharmed; Today at 11:37 AM.

  12. #6972
    Senior Member tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
    So, we should send all our UAAP, NCAA and HS College and etc... basketball talents to New Zealand, where there’s ample environment for development... and so it will please you to finally just shut you up... it’s in my prayers.
    Even Fil-foreigners raised and developed in basketball elite countries are having a hard time landing a spot in NBA. Scuba Holt, Mikh Mckinney, DJ Fenner, Mike Williams, Aaron Craft, Pringle, Hermoso, Banchero, Barefield, etc. I'll be glad if New Zealand basketball will produce a Fil-Kiwi who would play in NBA. Pinoy basketball players in New Zealand are small in size compare to players in Philippines but they have an advantages in proper nutrition, proper basketball training and environment..

  13. #6973
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Lots of scouts from NBA team on the national prep showcase.
    Exciting...

  14. #6974
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beansent View Post
    Seriously what do you mean by that statement? how did you come up with the idea that he will bring money in?
    sure he's got some pinoy fans but do you think those fans are going to spend money?
    and what untapped market are you talking about? we have 3 NBA stores before all gone because nba products are not marketable here,
    You have the first full blooded Filipino to make the NBA. TV deals to broadcast all of his games,the media following his progress, Jersey sales not only in the Philippines, but all around the world, additional ticket sales(if ofw community is big).

    There is a reason why satham was drafted by the mavs and BRP was the second choicr and it is not because of talent

  15. #6975
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,817
    Country: Austria

    Default

    I don’t think Kai has been ranked yet but I found some ranking for his teammate Jordan Wilmer the other big

    https://247sports.com/player/jordan-wilmore-46058350/

    3star ranked 59 for centres and 400 whole country

    I imagine Kai would be top 10 for centres and top 100 for players

  16. #6976
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    https://www.prephoops.com/2021-ranking

    Saw this today apparently chet holgrem is on the 2nd spot

  17. #6977
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    785
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    You have the first full blooded Filipino to make the NBA. TV deals to broadcast all of his games,the media following his progress, Jersey sales not only in the Philippines, but all around the world, additional ticket sales(if ofw community is big).

    There is a reason why satham was drafted by the mavs and BRP was the second choicr and it is not because of talent
    For those unaware, Filipinos are a market that the NBA recognizes. Teams with Pinoy populations usually have "Filipino Heritage Nights." The Clippers just had one this week...

    https://www.nba.com/clippers/special...lipinoheritage

    Shoe companies also make Filipino edition shoes like the LeBron Nikes showing it's viability. Compared to China it may be small but compared to most other countries, the Filipino market is pretty good. And with our growing economy it can only get better.

  18. #6978
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    785
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Sad reality. If only likes and shares could be converted to cash..
    It can. That's why there's hundreds of amateur youtubers capitalizing on Kai's popularity.

Page 349 of 349 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •