View Poll Results: are you fine with political avatars on IBN?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

2 22.22%
  • i don't care

7 77.78%

Thread: Political avatars

Default Political avatars

It is getting more about politics,which we don't want to see here

That photo of Aya Sofia without the minarets and a sky looking like the greek flag is hilarious tho.

Disgusting discussion.Why every week 12 out of 14 pages have a mix with politics and by far OT posts?Anyway I remembered something about last yearr's F4 and I am pretty sure you also do.Fener and Olympiacos fans sitting together before the match of CSKA with Fener and enjoying themselves.And now,in a forum we have a PAO fan with very stupid comments the last 2 weeks and the idiot with the political avatar.Mods to take place

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Disgusting discussion.Why every week 12 out of 14 pages have a mix with politics and by far OT posts?Anyway I remembered something about last yearr's F4 and I am pretty sure you also do.Fener and Olympiacos fans sitting together before the match of CSKA with Fener and enjoying themselves.And now,in a forum we have a PAO fan with very stupid comments the last 2 weeks and the idiot with the political avatar.Mods to take place
    I visited Athens and Pireaus last year, great locations and mostly very kind people. I regard nationalism as one of the things that hold back human evolution and prosperity of countries. People may possess very different merits, regardless of birth place.

Finally we will have on topic discussions tonight. Go Khimki!

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    I was in Madrid last year in F4.
    My initial expectation was tension, clashes, fight etc. After all two big clubs with a lot of supporters from TR and GR were in the F4.
    To my utmost surprise, it was an atmosphere of complete friendship and a basketball "brotherhood" was in the air.
    We have chanted with (and against Oly supporters), and I have not seen a single skirmish as everybody seemed to behave.

Madrid F41.jpg

Little did I know...I was not aware that the real danger would be coming from Real fans.
    I did not know how, but I turned a corner and I was all of a sudden in a "mob of Real supporters" and my life was in danger...

Really I get 3 bans in a row and this MYK13 guy is still on this forum? Is this serious? Look at his avatar... this is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny7 View Post
    Really I get 3 bans in a row and this MYK13 guy is still on this forum? Is this serious? Look at his avatar... this is a disgrace.
    look at saras' avatar too?

Fenerbahçe İstanbul

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny7 View Post
    He got 3 bans in a row too . maybe you should realize you guys are feeding each other, and then suffering together.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

It is going in a direction where mods will need to define a rule about Avatars as well.
    It should either all be free, or within the boundaries of the rule whatever it is (sports related etc.)
    If we can not behave and there is a rule on this, it would be a shame.
    For example, I would hate to lose Adon's unhappy cat just because people are ignorant.

There are a few avatars that are controversial...

1. Slice Me Nice's avatar (semi-bjk logo, semi-Ataturk) Ataturk is the founder of modern Turkey, and should not be offending to anybody. I certainly would not be offended to see e.g. George Washington in somebody's avatar. In my opinion Ataturk is not political, but Greek friends may tend to differ, I can understand that.

2. Then there is CoachZ's avatar (Sindjelic, a Serbian patriot who, upon realizing that they were about to lose a battle, fired the gunpowder kegs and blew up himself, his regiment, and a whole bunch of Ottoman soldiers.) An ancient suicide bomber is not something I would put up as an avatar, but the guy claims if Ataturk can be used, so can Sindjelic. I can't equate founder of a country to a guy who blew himself up to kill others, but I am not disturbed by Sindjelic either. Whatever...

3. MYK13's avatar (is a banner from a Fenerbahçe Panathinaikos football game from 10 years ago). Fenerbahçe supporters, sick of Istanbul being called Konstantinople, hand painted this banner that depicts Fatih the Conquerer on his signature white horse conquering Istanbul in 1453, thus the words ISTANBUL SINCE 1453 on the banner. While I agree with the content (the name is Istanbul), I find the user to be continuously flaming others so this is just another item in a long list of disruptive behavior.

4. Saras's avatar (A picture of Haghia Sophia -without the minarets- with a GR flagged sky). I do not know what his intentions are but this is a Turkish national monument. This is like painting a Turkish flag on Athens skies and carving Crescent Stars on the Parthenon...i.e. not nice. Similar to my comments in item 3, this is an issue with the user, who upon just arriving at this forum, is very aggressive in his/her behavior in flaming others.

And there is one with Obama and Castro's awkward arm moment, which is quite funny but can be regarded political.

Guys...if WE don't put a stop to this...MODS WILL.

I believe i'm %100 free to make my avatar my own city

But if it's disturbing for some members over here. i can change it, its ok
    Vazgeçemem ki senden Fener, işlemişsin kalbime.
    Silinmez yazılarla yazılmış, senin adın kaderime.
    Sensiz yaşanmaz bu dünyada, adı cennet olsa da.
    Razıyım ben cehennemlere, yanarım senin uğruna.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuneyt View Post
    2. Then there is CoachZ's avatar (Sindjelic, a Serbian patriot who, upon realizing that they were about to lose a battle, fired the gunpowder kegs and blew up himself, his regiment, and a whole bunch of Ottoman soldiers.) An ancient suicide bomber is not something I would put up as an avatar, but the guy claims if Ataturk can be used, so can Sindjelic. I can't equate founder of a country to a guy who blew himself up to kill others, but I am not disturbed by Sindjelic either. Whatever...
    At least tell how the whole story ended, if you decided to talk about it. People should know the truth

Also, believing that Ataturk is a hurtful topic for Greeks only is extremely ignorant, but historical revisionism is after all a quite strong suite of Turkish state since forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuneyt View Post
    I was in Madrid last year in F4.
    My initial expectation was tension, clashes, fight etc. After all two big clubs with a lot of supporters from TR and GR were in the F4.
    To my utmost surprise, it was an atmosphere of complete friendship and a basketball "brotherhood" was in the air.
    We have chanted with (and against Oly supporters), and I have not seen a single skirmish as everybody seemed to behave.

Madrid F41.jpg

Little did I know...I was not aware that the real danger would be coming from Real fans.
    I did not know how, but I turned a corner and I was all of a sudden in a "mob of Real supporters" and my life was in danger...
    I think this post was copied here by mistake. It actually is NOT discussion about avatars etc. Just an anectode, and a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    At least tell how the whole story ended, if you decided to talk about it. People should know the truth

Also, believing that Ataturk is a hurtful topic for Greeks only is extremely ignorant, but historical revisionism is after all a quite strong suite of Turkish state since forever.
    How did the story end?
    Bunch of people dead for something as stupid as nationalism. That is how it ended.

Taking my remark about Ataturk in an avatar, and turning it to a discussion about "Turkish State" is exactly what I am talking about.

Look...I actually find you unpleasent, hateful, and butthurt about a lot of things in general. Your generalisations are in the verge of ignorant racism anyway.
    So, I would rather not get involved in petty discussions with you. Go away and continue with your self-satisfting b.s. with somebody else.

P.S: I apologise to the moderators for taking this off-topic even in this section of the forum.

LOL. As always a pleasure to read your lines. First, Battle of Cegar (the one where Sindjelic blew up the gunpowder warehouse) had nothing to do about nationalism, but is one in a series of battles where Serbs (and others under Ottoman rule) wanted to get their freedom back, after centuries of subjugation, genocide, forced labor, blood tax etc. etc. Basically you were the conquerors and people wanted their freedom back, nothing speaks about nationalism there. Yes, people died, as they do in all wars unfortunately.

Since you have decided to remain ignorant about the event, here is the epilogue. Since, the Battle of Cegar was won by Ottomans, despite a lot of casualties due to Sindjelic's sacrifice, the Ottoman regime decided it was a good opportunity to teach some people a lesson and spread some more fear. So they went to the battlefield, cut off the heads of dead Serbian soldiers and decided to play some morbid architecture game and build a Tower made out of skulls in the City, as a reminder to the people not to try anything again. The Skull Tower remains in place even today (although significantly damaged by raiders, bombings of WWI and WWII etc.) and is a one of the unique monuments of its kind in the world.

So yeah, basically you were right, Sindjelic was a crazy suicide bomber who killed a lot of people for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post

Atatürk is not a hurtful or controversial historical persona. He is a pacifist politician who spent his life for creating better relationships with neighbors. Not with just neighbors but with countries that we have cultural deep connection. This is where Atatürk differentiates from the current politicians. After the Greco-Turkish War, the first thing that he did was creating a strong relationship with Greece in order to maintain a long term peaceful environment in the region. It is not historical revisionism though this idea is coming about from the countries who are the real historical revisionist. To make their own people to believe in their stories, they claim that opposite side is lying and creating alternative history. You know, when you can't produce a counter-argument, it is always a good alternative to hide behind the sweetness of ad hominem. I may understand all those hateful motives for the Ottoman Sultans but when it comes to Atatürk, I can't find any valid ground for that type of execration.

Also, my avatar is not politically controversial. There is no contempt towards the specific groups. I am using my idol as my avatar and it just refer Atatürk's Beşiktaş love. Lastly, I need to add I have no problem with nobody's avatar here as you can see I have never complained about it slimily like some people did. This is an international forum and it is not a problem for me to see a simple Serbian rebellious in someone's avatar. He can be proud of him which is his god-given right.

My sincere congrats on Victory Day! Huge respect to our dear veterans, to whose who,showing courage and heroism,had stood in the battle for freedom and independence of our homeland! С Днем Победы!