Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA is a 52 point favorite tonight against Venezuela. This is getting ridiculous. 52 point spread in a 40 minute game ? I know Venezuela and China are bad teams and that these are just preparations, but if team USA rolls through this tournament like they did in 2014 while not being threatened or seriously challenged at all, I wouldn't be surprised if a 23 and under USA restriction is placed on future teams. The gap might just be too great.
    Last edited by usagre; 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
      USA is a 52 point favorite tonight against Venezuela. This is getting ridiculous. 52 point spread in a 40 minute game ? I know Venezuela and China are bad teams and that these are just preparations, but if team USA rolls through this tournament like they did in 2014 while not being threatened or seriously challenged at all, I wouldn't be surprised if a 23 and under USA restriction is placed on future teams. The gap might just be too great.
      Unless it's self imposed it's not going to happen. And for it to be self imposed it'll have to be in the CBA which would require the owners to give something up in exchange(yeah like that's going to happen). So the only way that happens is if FIBA imposes such a rule which really just makes it even easier for Team USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
        Unless it's self imposed it's not going to happen. And for it to be self imposed it'll have to be in the CBA which would require the owners to give something up in exchange(yeah like that's going to happen). So the only way that happens is if FIBA imposes such a rule which really just makes it even easier for Team USA.
        Yeah I am talking a USA self imposed rule. Maybe an age restriction or a maybe a rookie and sophomore nba team.
        It can easily happen. All that is needed is for the loss of interest in the tournaments. For example in the world championships prior to Nba play in 1994, the USA never sent its best collegians. They only went to the Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Federoy View Post
          Yeah...neither team benefits from these exhibitions. China is so badly overmatched that they can't work on their principles and the US gets no resistance or pressure to help them bond quicker. Had Canada taken care of business against Venezuela last summer, I'm convinced that they would've been apart of the US preparations instead of a poor Chinese squad. Puerto Rico would've also offered a better tune-up had their summer continued. This is the weakest preparation schedule we've had in years.
          If we able to win in Changsha, US would be playing Philippines in LA and Oakland both have high Filipino American communities..
          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

USA is a 52 point favorite tonight against Venezuela. This is getting ridiculous. 52 point spread in a 40 minute game ? I know Venezuela and China are bad teams and that these are just preparations, but if team USA rolls through this tournament like they did in 2014 while not being threatened or seriously challenged at all, I wouldn't be surprised if a 23 and under USA restriction is placed on future teams. The gap might just be too great.
            you seriously believe U 23 team would be a big force?
            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Yeah I am talking a USA self imposed rule. Maybe an age restriction or a maybe a rookie and sophomore nba team.
              It can easily happen. All that is needed is for the loss of interest in the tournaments. For example in the world championships prior to Nba play in 1994, the USA never sent its best collegians. They only went to the Olympics.
              As long as the players want to play it's not going to happen. They've done such a great job making players wanting to play for the national team and I don't see that changing all that much short of a worst host than the current and a lock out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Picek View Post
                you seriously believe U 23 team would be a big force?
                Yeah they would be right there with the top teams. Depending on the year they could be the favorite. For example injuries aside this year's team could have had guys like Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Bradley Beal, Calwell-Pope and many others. They would probably win as much as any other team. Like the old collegiate days when USA, Yugoslavia and Soviet Union were always the three favorites and alternated championships. I am not saying I am for it, but if the USA wins gold again this year that would be 5 straight world event titles. That's getting to be ridiculous and unprecedented in any other competitive sport. Really even team Canada in hockey can't claim that. When does it reach the point where it is no longer competitive? 20 years ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                  As long as the players want to play it's not going to happen. They've done such a great job making players wanting to play for the national team and I don't see that changing all that much short of a worst host than the current and a lock out.
                  But that's my point. Players want to go now but that can easily change if the dominance continues and the prestige of these tournaments wares off. Everybody wanted to do from 1992-1996. But take a look at 2000 until 2004. They never had the cream of the crop participating in those years. It took repeated eliminations until finally the best players decided to go in 2008 to redeem.

Comment

Yeah they would be right there with the top teams. Depending on the year they could be the favorite. For example injuries aside this year's team could have had guys like Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Bradley Beal, Calwell-Pope and many others. They would probably win as much as any other team. Like the old collegiate days when USA, Yugoslavia and Soviet Union were always the three favorites and alternated championships. I am not saying I am for it, but if the USA wins gold again this year that would be 5 straight world event titles. That's getting to be ridiculous and unprecedented in any other competitive sport. Really even team Canada in hockey can't claim that. When does it reach the point where it is no longer competitive? 20 years ?
                    There was a series of 7 titles in a row and during all the history of Olympics only 4 times USA didn't win gold - contraversial final in 1972, didn't participate in 1980 and then in fair way 1988 and 2004. Closest finals were last two vs Spain. But I'm sure you know it. So overall speaking, was it ever competitive at all? But I don't see any drop of interest or smth. Unless you're speaking about USA audience. However I doubt it'd increase it if some u23 will show up. What I'm sure of is that would only hurt the prestige of the tournament and basketball as Olympic discipline, would attract less people in arenas or infront of TV

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                      There was a series of 7 titles in a row and during all the history of Olympics only 4 times USA didn't win gold - contraversial final in 1972, didn't participate in 1980 and then in fair way 1988 and 2004. Closest finals were last two vs Spain. But I'm sure you know it. So overall speaking, was it ever competitive at all? But I don't see any drop of interest or smth. Unless you're speaking about USA audience. However I doubt it'd increase it if some u23 will show up. What I'm sure of is that would only hurt the prestige of the tournament and basketball as Olympic discipline, would attract less people in arenas or infront of TV
                      The two pros in favor of continuing the current system in my opinion are:
                      1) despite the dominance by playing against the best players the worlds players can only improve.
                      2) these tournament are a one and done knockout form so it's not a series and in one game anything can happen.

Comment

Possible. Because now with this well shooting USA team is not even close. They just perfectly adjusted to FIBA games and doing on more fashionable and dominant way something what some European teams like Lithuania, Spain, Serbia (and well Argentina) were doing in 00's. USA always had athletic advantage against any opponent, but they don't have any disadvantages anymore as they used to. However, it would have to be some insanely talented U23 or very good fit for FIBA games, like it would be composed of young Durants, Paus or Porzingis. But the thing is in 10's the level of European powerhouses dropped substantially compared to 00's. I expect at the start of new decade (or at the end of 10's) to see more powerful, complete and talented European NTs who could shoot the lights out and would have above average NBA bigs in the frontline.
                        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                        Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          Possible. Because now with this well shooting USA team is not even close. They just perfectly adjusted to FIBA games and doing on more fashionable and dominant way something what some European teams like Lithuania, Spain, Serbia (and well Argentina) were doing in 00's. USA always had athletic advantage against any opponent, but they don't have any disadvantages anymore as they used to. However, it would have to be some insanely talented U23 or very good fit for FIBA games, like it would be composed of young Durants, Paus or Porzingis. But the thing is in 10's the level of European powerhouses dropped substantially compared to 00's. I expect at the start of new decade (or at the end of 10's) to see more powerful, complete and talented European NTs who could shoot the lights out and would have above average NBA bigs in the frontline.
                          You make a good point. Early USA dominance from 1992-1996 was based on a style of play that no longer exists in the USA. Traditional low post 4's and 5's like Ewing, Robinson , Karl Malone, and Shaq don't exist anymore. I think the period when the world was beating the USA 2002-2006 was a transitional period. The old style was dying and eventually the USA now plays for the most part like Europe. Three point shooting, stretch 4's very few to none low post monsters. Now it seems the USA has mastered that style of game and the gap looks as big as it ever was.

Comment

The two pros in favor of continuing the current system in my opinion are:
                            1) despite the dominance by playing against the best players the worlds players can only improve.
                            2) these tournament are a one and done knockout form so it's not a series and in one game anything can happen.
                            I don't see a point of changing anything actually. Maybe for USA fan it's quite boring, but you can't sacrifise the idea of the tournament and create some artificial barriers in case have better chances of beating USA. If you're that better than let it be. Nobody had a problem with that till now. Players want to compete against the best too. Moreover, in Olympics not only gold that matters (except USA of course), the medal itself is really decent achievement bearing in mind how many teams are competing for it, I mean those with good chances of getting it. This year race again is very close and there'll be fierce battle already in group stage. I'm sure many fans all over the world are waiting for it eagerly, no matter if USA is again top candidate for the gold. For me, personally, any Lith medal would be like gold

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              I don't see a point of changing anything actually. Maybe for USA fan it's quite boring, but you can't sacrifise the idea of the tournament and create some artificial barriers in case have better chances of beating USA. If you're that better than let it be. Nobody had a problem with that till now. Players want to compete against the best too. Moreover, in Olympics not only gold that matters (except USA of course), the medal itself is really decent achievement bearing in mind how many teams are competing for it, I mean those with good chances of getting it. This year race again is very close and there'll be fierce battle already in group stage. I'm sure many fans all over the world are waiting for it eagerly, no matter if USA is again top candidate for the gold. For me, personally, any Lith medal would be like gold
                              Hey I love the current system. I like putting together great talented individuals and watching them try to become a great team. But I think Americans like me and others on this forum are a huge minority. Most American basketball media and fans don't care and eventually unfortunately I think that will have repercussions. If I had to guess it will go something like this. The quality of nba player on team USA will continue to decrease and then the World will beat the USA in a couple of these world tournaments and that would lead to the best players again composing the team in order to establish dominance again. Sound familiar ? It will just be a cycle.

Comment

• Ok, so is France and Serbia playing now. If so any GOOD links or box score?
                                Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
                                2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019
                                Winner! 2020 Olympics Prediction Game

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information