Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympic Games [Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Aug 5-21]

Theres a chance Serbia would place 4th in their group avoiding any showdown with usa..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by SashKX View Post
    My feelings about the draw have already been expressed by others here.

As CoachZ, I'm happy Serbia is in the same group with USA, but this will most likely be a tough battle for 2nd spot, probably with France, and that will be massive as Dtown said.
    Also as usagre and R1ou concluded, group A has some heavy hitters on top, but also some not very strong teams, while group B is much more even and is going to be extremely unpredictable with more or less every match up.
    Knowing how Spain always starts these tournaments slow, it shouldn't be surprising to see them and USA meet up in first knockout phase.
    You will play smart, and I expect a upset loss against australia or Nigeria
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

For me the top 4 for each group are:
    1. USA
    2. France
    3-4. Serbia - Australia

1-2. Spain - Lithuania
    3-4 Croatia - Brazil

Chances for medals gold/silver/bronze/semifinal/...not to fall into the semi-finals

USA - 78/10/10/1/....1
    Spain - 10/45/30/10/...5
    Lithuania 10/45/30/10/....5
    France - 5/40/35/10/....10
    Serbia- 1/10/10/10/.....59
    Croatia- 1/10/10/10/.....59
    Australia- 1/10/10/10/.....59
    Brazil - 1/10/10/10/.....59
    Last edited by G&B; 07-11-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Expectations:
    -not qualifying to 1/4 finals- disaster
    -1/4 finals- ok, but i'd be disappointed
    -1/2 finals- great result and i think that should be our goal
    -secretly hoping for finals tho

If i have to chose an opponent for Serbia in 1/4 finals...

Spain- worst-case scenario for obvious reasons
    Brazil- second worst-case...very strong and unpredictable team playing quarterfinals in front of thousands fans...you can add a slight referee home court advantage...thanks but no thanks
    Croatia- on paper weaker than e.g. Lithuania, but capable of screwing everybody's dream in one game, especially as our mutual games bring additional motivation
    Argentina- farewell for one of my favorite generations in basketball...would love to see one last game against Manu & company...if we have to lose against someone, this would be the easiest lost to accept
    Lithuania- great old rivalry... with all the respect for this country of basketball, i'd still choose them first rather than mentioned above (except maybe Argentina)

This year we play the kind of basketball that i enjoy the most...for many years i haven't been looking forward to some tournament as i'm waiting for this one

@reamily

Not sure what are you suggesting with that play smart and be 4th to avoid USA, that Serbia might tank if we don't grab 2nd spot? If so, there's no way this will happen, for several reasons. One is that our team, and coach especially, are very proud and would never even consider something of that sort, it will definitely be a fight for every game. I mean, guy doesn't want to invite Boban simply cause he's super thick headed, he'd rather fail at the Olympics. Another reason is that 4th spot matches you with top spot from B group, which is not going to be a much easier game than meeting USA in semis.
    Also Serbia has a really favorable game schedule, first game is Venezuela and then Australia, so we can start slow and build up for third game with French, probably the most important one, so team should be ready by that time. Next one is USA, I'd prefer China there, to have some additional rest after tough game with France, before facing USA, but I can't complain, we shouldn't be trying too hard to beat USA in groups anyways.

As Ayrfon here said, I think that semis should be the primary goal of this team, everything less than that would be disappointing. Semis are well within this team's capability as there is no way to face USA before that, which is IMO the only team in this tourney to be favorite over Serbia. Spain, France and maaaybe Lithuania are all on similar level currently and those games can go either way. Lithuania not talent wise, but they have proven to be fighters and a tough match up.

As for preferable quarter finals opponent, Brazil, Argentina or Croatia, they're all very much beatable. Perhaps I'd prefer Croatia the most, simply cause our match ups are always special and we have a really really good track record against them. Some Croatians have said that they'd probably sooner beat USA than Serbia the way our games have been going lately.

If I have to chose an opponent for Lithuania in 1/4 Finals ...

US - I would not, for all the obvious reasons,
    France - inconvenient, athletic black-man's full team
    Australia - unknown team full of NBA players
    Serbia - the most by a familiar, defensive mastery maybe we lower, but the three-second zone can just crush them. Mutual match history as well as our side.

The basketball gods (or a conspiracy theorists would say FIBA/IOC) gave the US a very favorable opening schedule, starting with China followed by Venezuela, Australia, and then Serbia and France. If they have any chemistry/line-up problems leading into the tournament, the US will be given a chance to work on those before the competition stiffens. Coming off the US's weak training schedule, I wouldn't want them to face Serbia or France, both of whom started training a few weeks ago and have already seen competitive matches.

Is there a thread for selling/trading Rio tickets?

I'm selling my tickets for face value (4 x 100BRL = 125 USD) and will be shipped free from USA. Had changes in schedule and can't hold onto these anymore.

BK010 category C - Argentina x Nigeria
    BK030 category C - Argentina x Lithuania

basketball_tix.jpgbasketball_seats.jpg

It is well known that with a gold medal Carmelo Anthony will become the only 3 time winner. But a less known fact is that Carmelo and Kevin Durant are attempting to become 3 time champions in world events. Joining only David Robinson
    ('86, '92, '96) Sergei Belov ('67, '72, '74), Modestas Paulauskas ('67, '72, '74) and Kresimir Cosic ('70, '78, '80).

Irrelevant but as discussion brought it;Does anybody know why Greece didn't take part at the Olympics of 88',while being a European champion by that time?I hadn't born by that time so I couldn't know.If somebody elder knows please enlighten.

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Irrelevant but as discussion brought it;Does anybody know why Greece didn't take part at the Olympics of 88',while being a European champion by that time?I hadn't born by that time so I couldn't know.If somebody elder knows please enlighten.
    There was a separate Olympic qualifying tournament back then. Greece finished fifth and only the top three qualified:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/eve...Men/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    There was a separate Olympic qualifying tournament back then. Greece finished fifth and only the top three qualified:
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/eve...Men/index.html

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrfon View Post

If i have to chose an opponent for Serbia in 1/4 finals...

Spain- worst-case scenario for obvious reasons
    Brazil- second worst-case...very strong and unpredictable team playing quarterfinals in front of thousands fans...you can add a slight referee home court advantage...thanks but no thanks
    Croatia- on paper weaker than e.g. Lithuania, but capable of screwing everybody's dream in one game, especially as our mutual games bring additional motivation
    Argentina- farewell for one of my favorite generations in basketball...would love to see one last game against Manu & company...if we have to lose against someone, this would be the easiest lost to accept
    Lithuania- great old rivalry... with all the respect for this country of basketball, i'd still choose them first rather than mentioned above (except maybe Argentina)

+1.I believe chances winnings group B and getting Australia is slim.So normally we will get in 1/4 Usa/France/Serbia.Without any doubt we also choose play you Serbia, from this 3 teams we choose less evil .

France in 2011-2015 period was beating us almost every time we play and is bad matchup for Lithuania.

Usa is Usa we want to face them again,its always fun game but not in 1/4...

1/4 Serbia vs Lithuania would be old classic.And knowing this serbians generation havent been in Olympics, and we will have 7 players that have played in Olympics before,also knowing we have mental edge on them after last 2015 semifinal i like our chances.Serbians would be favorites,but not huge one and i see it would be open game with good shot to win for both teams.Olympic sweet memory from 2000 1/4 game vs Jugoslavia still is in my head

Btw do not sleep on Australia in group game,they are very dangeruos team we got punished in 2014 world cup in group againts them.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 07-17-2016 at 06:31 AM.

would anyone like to participate in a private league prediction game at http://www.prediction-game.com ? if there is interest i'll create one and start a new thread for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ByThor View Post
    would anyone like to participate in a private league prediction game at http://www.prediction-game.com ? if there is interest i'll create one and start a new thread for it.
    Sure, but might as well hand me the trophy though.
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16

Is there a fantasy game for the Olympic tournament???
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post

Are you in my mind ? I was searching for something like this all day long yesterday.Didn't find anything.

My tournament's prediction:

Group A

USA
    SRB
    FRA
    AUS

Group B

ESP
    BRA
    ARG
    LIT

USA vs.LIT
    SERvs. ARG
    ESP vs. AUS
    BRA vs. FRA

1/2 Final

USAvs. FRA
    SPA vs. SER

1rd place USA
    2nd place SER
    3rd place SPA
    4th place FRA

M.V.P Durant!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    After sportcity died, I doubt there's smth in English. We have one in Lithuania on krepsinis.net, not really hard to participate, rules are easy, prizes sucks tho, also there should be Spanish one on acb.com

krepsinis.net hasn't send me prize for Euroleague 2014-15 fantasy game as I live in Lithuania. No way they could send a prize to other country

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast