Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympic Games [Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Aug 5-21]

Default 2016 Olympic Games [Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Aug 5-21]

Last edited by Kings; 08-21-2016 at 08:30 PM.

At this point who has the easiest path to the finals?

It won't be easy for anyone, and we still don't know about those OQT placements. Apparently there will be a draw after that tourney to determine where will the winners be placed. Right now group B is completely unpredictable, and people will probably think USA has the easiest road, but that might not be the case if Serbia and France land in group A.

Quote Originally Posted by SashKX View Post
    It won't be easy for anyone, and we still don't know about those OQT placements. Apparently there will be a draw after that tourney to determine where will the winners be placed. Right now group B is completely unpredictable, and people will probably think USA has the easiest road, but that might not be the case if Serbia and France land in group A.
    Are you sure about there being another draw after the qualifying tournaments? Or are they already predetermined by qualifying tournament site? Example Belgrade tournament is OQT 1.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Are you sure about there being another draw after the qualifying tournaments? Or are they already predetermined by qualifying tournament site? Example Belgrade tournament is OQT 1.
    I thought they're predetermined like that up until like 20 minutes ago, there was conflicting info from different sources, but then FIBA posted their article and announced the draw, among other things.

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/ne...ll-tournaments

I thought they're predetermined like that up until like 20 minutes ago, there was conflicting info from different sources, but then FIBA posted their article and announced the draw, among other things.

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/ne...ll-tournaments
    Thanks didn't see that. By the way living in New York I got an opportunity to get a closer look at Jokic last week on tv since Denver played both New York City teams. The guy looks like a stud. Looks like there's not much on the court he can't do and he's only 21. His passing ability for a guy his size was impressive. Where many nba rookies hit the wall around this time of year he is playing his best basketball now. Seems like the steal of the draft right now. Hard to believe he wasn't scouted higher the only negative might be that he's not overly athletic but when you have everything else going for you, he can compensate. Plenty of others have proven that in the past.

Jokic was drafted in 2014, right before his breakout season. I've seen some estimations that he would be a top 10 pick in 2015. Regarding his athleticism, he was actually far far worse, he's lost 15kg of fat I think, in the summer with the Nuggets, before the season started, and has gained some muscle too. He's a hard worker and this will all probably get even better, that kid has a really bright future.

Regarding this draw, there are speculations that our original assumptions will end up being the same. OQT 1 probably stands for highest ranking winner, OQT 2 for 2nd, etc, so it means France and Serbia will land in group A, assuming they win their OQTs.

that doesn't really answer my question in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    that doesn't really answer my question in any way.
    I was trying to say that at this point no one really knows. You can't make an educated guess without knowing the remaining two teams in group A for sure. Maybe you should specify if you want to assume France and Serbia will be there, and then we can have a discussion, which would again be a difficult one, because in my opinion that would make the two groups very much equal.

If you want the best Olympic basketball tournament with the best teams and quality then Serbia and France had to be in it.
    I am glad it worked out that way.

+ 3 European nations to Olympic games. No surprises here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    + 3 European nations to Olympic games. No surprises here...
    and almost half are from europe. 5 out of 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    and almost half are from europe. 5 out of 12.
    There were 6 European teams in 2008.

There were 6 European teams in 2008.
    Yes but in 2016 system there were no chances for more than 5 places from europe side.Fiba one and last time all semifinalist from eurobaskets must have direct places to Olympics ! Usa is strongest team and i wouldnt be even suprised if next 4 teams in powerankings are from europe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Yes but in 2016 system there were no chances for more than 5 places from europe side.Fiba one and last time all semifinalist from eurobaskets must have direct places to Olympics ! Usa is strongest team and i wouldnt be even suprised if next 4 teams in powerankings are from europe side.
    That's right. Just like in 1996 only 4 spots were allocated to Europe.

That's right. Just like in 1996 only 4 spots were allocated to Europe.
    That was before the OQTs were instituted. Now, if only the IOC isn't so adamant at keeping the Olympic teams at 12...
    #NowIsTheTime #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    That was before the OQTs were instituted. Now, if only the IOC isn't so adamant at keeping the Olympic teams at 12...
    I would do it this way. No host automatic spot. Automatics only for 5 continental champions. Then one big qualifying tournament with the top 7 teams getting births. So theoretically you could have up to 8 European teams in. Imagine the battles that would go on in the preliminary round of the Olympics.

They just completed the draw.

Group A:

1. USA
    2. France
    3. Serbia
    4. Venezuela
    5. Australia
    6. China

Group B:

1. Spain
    2. Argentina
    3. Nigeria
    4. Croatia
    5. Brazil
    6. Lithuania

This will be fun.

They just completed the draw.

Group A:

1. USA
    2. France
    3. Serbia
    4. Venezuela
    5. Australia
    6. China

Group B:

1. Spain
    2. Argentina
    3. Nigeria
    4. Croatia
    5. Brazil
    6. Lithuania

This will be fun.
    So this draw just fucked us. Basically if we want any chance to medal we need to finish 2nd in the group and beat France. I like the idea to be in group with USA, so that would take the pressure off and we won't have to feel like we are doomed in later phases. So finish 2nd in the group and then take care of business vs Lith/Croatia/Argentina whoever is 3rd in Group B. Finish 3rd in the group and we are looking at USA again in the Semis.
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast