No announcement yet.

Linas Kleiza Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in interview kleiza said he is still doing rehab and time to his return in unknown.More and more i dont believe he is doing anything If you dont have a surgery and only trying to make your body stronger its more than enough time for that those 5 months or your body is so broke that you cant recover it anymore to play professionaly...I have a feeling kleiza just enjoys live without basketball right now and if he still will return,its wont be this season. Wouldnt be suprised to see kleiza photo now with more weight and totally out of basketball shape He was very good player, but he never was able fully to recover from that injury in 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      Today in interview kleiza said he is still doing rehab and time to his return in unknown.More and more i dont believe he is doing anything If you dont have a surgery and only trying to make your body stronger its more than enough time for that those 5 months or your body is so broke that you cant recover it anymore to play professionaly...I have a feeling kleiza just enjoys live without basketball right now and if he still will return,its wont be this season. Wouldnt be suprised to see kleiza photo now with more weight and totally out of basketball shape He was very good player, but he never was able fully to recover from that injury in 2011.
      I feel it has a lot to do with salaries players get these days. He was set for life when he was 26... Past couple of years he was more concerned with the way he looks, then basketball. I hope Im wrong and he makes me eat my words.

Comment

• I doubt Kleiza is resting, but he wants to be strong and athletic again. Let's face it, he must be different than he was last 2 years to crack Zalgiris rotation competing with Jankunas, Motum, not to mention NT with Motiejunas, Jankunas, Sabonis and maybe Darjus.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
          I feel it has a lot to do with salaries players get these days. He was set for life when he was 26... Past couple of years he was more concerned with the way he looks, then basketball. I hope Im wrong and he makes me eat my words.
          This is true..Some players do stop trying harder and lose that motivation when they get these kind of cheques in their pockets.
          Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
          FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
          FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Well It's Almost Certain Now that Kleiza wouldn't be able to compete for the National Team anymore. We don't live in stone age, with the medical technology that we have today he should be able to tell if at all its worth coming back. With Macijauskas it was different he told the public straight away the truth and he retired.. He might comeback for Zalgiris but I really doubt he could compete for the National Team.
            Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
            FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
            FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modis View Post
              With Macijauskas it was different he told the public straight away the truth and he retired.. He might comeback for Zalgiris but I really doubt he could compete for the National Team.
              Macijauskas was tryin' to comeback the same way Kleiza is. His last game was probably in 2008, but he officially retired only in 2010, when he needed another surgery and was forced to miss atleast a year again, but he just had enough of it. He even admitted later that he never said how serious health issues he had.
              It's just sad how many big talents we lost in their peak due to health issues - Karnisovas, Macas, now Kleiza. The same Marciulionis could've played atleast few years more on highest level if not knee troubles

Comment

• Good interview with Kleiza about 2010 bronze campaign. I like how Kleiza not directly attacking traditional basketball through centers and emphasize Javtokas' value, as a good defensive center. To be fair, today we don't have such good defensive center as Javtokas. I think 2010 WC campaign kinda shows how sometimes very simple, but spot on role wise basketball can be effective. We had a star player at 4, who could shoot and could score inside, and couple of aggressive athletic guards in Kalnietis, Pocius and a good defensive center at the middle. Boom, that's a winning formula. Actually, even against USA we had moments, we lost only minus 15 while Durant was completely going nuts and Kleiza was completely shut down. I will remember 2010 as one of the most refreshing tournaments, because it was fun to watch it. So many young and agile legs, so much energy at both ends of the floor. I would dear to say that it was the most athletic roster we ever had: Kalnietis, Pocius, Maciulis, Kleiza, Javtokas, plus Seibutis, Jasaitis, Jankunas. All in their prime or pre prime young and agile legs days. This team was ready to outhustle the opponents.

Prieš dešimt metų Turkijoje prasidėjusiame pasaulio čempionate beveik niekas neturėjo didelių lūkesčių dėl šios komandos. Lietuvos rinktinei tada trūko aštuonių žvaigždžių. Tačiau...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• thats way its important to have strong generation that peaking same time and have fresh legs in same time .Even if your tallent is not overhelming,but have main players that age diffrence only 2-3 years it can really work in those short tournaments.

It usually wont work when 4 players will be 31+ and other 5 players will be 24-26 old age.Diffrence generations,diffrent mindsets.One group wants to run ,other group wants to play positional basketball.Eventually teams ends up somewhere in the middle and without strong chemistry like ltu 2011-2012 was or similiar story with 2017-2019 teams was roster wise.

2010 was year when 85 generation players turned 25 and they were at their peak of physical abilities and already not kids mentally.

Kleiza 19pts average was by far the highest in LTU NT in 2000-2020 years that helped alot.We had real fiba superstar player in our uniform in that tournament.

Comment

• ...and we didn't have that superstar player in 2011 and only half of him in 2012. That was the key, not different generations. In example, chemistry between the same Saras and JV on court was great. But no Kleiza, also no Maciulis meant that we were simply worse than all main contenders - Spain, France and Russia. Also pressure was simply enormous, you could feel it in the air being in arenas and watching LT games, especially the one vs Macedonia. Even vets like Saras, Songaila and co couldn't cope with that properly. In 2010 nobody expected anything from that squad, it's huge advantage when you play like you have nothing to lose

Comment

• I agree with with both of you, it can go either way. Sometimes young and agile core of more or less similar age players can be super spot on, sometimes mix of different age can be advantage. But another thing, 2011 format was very bad for our vets, really long tournament, and in the second round we faced Serbia, France and Germany with Dirk. We lost to France, but managed to beat really strong Serbia, and also Germany. It was nearly as a knock out stage and it took a lot from Saras, Kaukenas and probably Singaila. So not only pressure, but I think the legs were really getting heavy as well, some TOs that Saras made was not only the factor of pressure, but also tiredness likely. Objectively we were TOP 4 team in that tournament, but screwed against MKD.

Kleiza was carrying the team like no one did in 10's, but we shouldn't overlook Kalnietis' effort in OG, 18pts, 7.5as. The problem was that no one helped him. JV sucked big time, Maciulis had crappy tournament, Seibutis as well, Kuz was inconsistent, Sabonis was still too young.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        ...and we didn't have that superstar player in 2011 and only half of him in 2012. That was the key, not different generations. In example, chemistry between the same Saras and JV on court was great. But no Kleiza, also no Maciulis meant that we were simply worse than all main contenders - Spain, France and Russia. Also pressure was simply enormous, you could feel it in the air being in arenas and watching LT games, especially the one vs Macedonia. Even vets like Saras, Songaila and co couldn't cope with that properly. In 2010 nobody expected anything from that squad, it's huge advantage when you play like you have nothing to lose

With old veterans that demanded alot like Sharas,So gaila,Kaukenas and NT 2010 had to adjust to their playing styles and speeds .Nobody knew who had the keys to power it was too mixed feeling in those teams 2011-2012.

That 85 group players reach atleast semifinal 2010,2013,2014,2015

In 2016 they didn't ,but themself they were already in 30s by that point.

Kleiza 2012 was better than Kleiza 2013 .2013 we won medal.

Some veterans who is not demanding can play helpers role and don't try to put his power on the team Javtokas,Brothers comes to mind they had no problems to go to helpers role and let peaking 25+ player's lead.

Not every veteran can be like that.From today's veterans Kalnietis is very suitable to play Darjus/Javtokas role.

Maciulis is more Jasikevicius Songaila type, not sure he could play only helpers role and not demand attention.

I'm just saying what I saw with 2011-2012 and 2019 teams when 2 different generations was on the team.Its very mixed feeling watching such teams.Those 25-26 old ones already ready to take and lead how they want,but there are still older 32+ generation like 4players in a way to some degree . 1-2 veterans with good characters sure they can help,but 3-4 veterans too much especially if some of them is not the easiest characters.

In such situation hard to built strong real brotherhood,its hard to say "pasol n.." to older generation player in emotional heated moments.And its easy to say same thing to guy who you know since you both were teenagers and 10min later say to him i dont meant it.Those things matter in brotherhood building :when you dont need to pretend nothing,say what you feel and dont need to listen for month to 8 years older washed up players what to do all the time
                        Last edited by Shawshank; 09-01-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                          With old veterans that demanded alot like Sharas,So gaila,Kaukenas and NT 2010 had to adjust to their playing styles and speeds .Nobody knew who had the keys to power it was too mixed feeling in those teams 2011-2012.

That 85 group players reach atleast semifinal 2010,2013,2014,2015

In 2016 they didn't ,but themself they were already in 30s by that point.

Kleiza 2012 was better than Kleiza 2013 .2013 we won medal.
                          C'mon, mate, how can you compare that? 2012 Olympics was miles stronger competition for a medal than in 2013, when huge number of star players was missing. Typical stuff for post-Olympic Eurobasket in 10s. Moreover in 2012 we had to go through qualifiers, peak twice in one summer, we've lost backbone of our defense Javtokas. Kleiza was great in Venezuela, whole team was really good, exactly those veterans like Saras, Songaila carried us in a game vs Puerto-Rico. In London Kleiza was already a bit of a shadow of himself, he couldn't handle such marathon physically, his knee started to bother him, it had major influence on our game. 2013 was absolutely different story

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                          Some veterans who is not demanding can play helpers role and don't try to put his power on the team Javtokas,Brothers comes to mind they had no problems to go to helpers role and let peaking 25+ player's lead.

Not every veteran can be like that.From today's veterans Kalnietis is very suitable to play Darjus/Javtokas role.

Maciulis is more Jasikevicius Songaila type, not sure he could play only helpers role and not demand attention.

I'm just saying what I saw with 2011-2012 and 2019 teams when 2 different generation was on the team.Its very mixed feeling watching such teams.Younger already ready to take and lead how they want,but there are still older generation players in a way to some degree .In such situation hard to built strong real brotherhood.
                          Yes not every veteran can deal with a fact that he is done. But it's strange that you call Songaila demanding, he never was. He had no problems to accept his role. He always was a role player in NBA, he could've been easily such in NT. He is surely more like Javtokas type than Saras. Saras yes, most of his career he was a leader on the court, but not in the latest stage of his career or his last stint with NT in 2011-2012, he acted more like a coach already, talked a lot from the bench, in both - clubs he played and NT, maybe that distracted Kemzura a bit, that could be questionable, but talking about his game he realized that he is not that difference maker anymore, he never complained about his playing time. Overall, I get where you are heading, that such mixes of vets and youngsters not always works, that's true, but talking about that 2011-2012 team I don't consider it an issue. Let's be realistic that 2011 team needed that experience push, moreover most of those vets were still playing in decent level like NBA/EL. 2010 guys without injured Kleiza would've been killed in 2011, I'm quite sure about it, and hardly would've been able to deal with that sick enormous pressure from our press, fans and etc. Even vets had some problems with it, it was simply overwhelming. Like I previously wrote - one thing is to play when nobody expects anything from you, other when tournament is held in Lithuania and masses demands gold, even tho it was not that realistic, but nobody really cared. I doubt we even would've had a chance to go to OQT if not those vets, let alone Olympics. Of course that's subjective, you might think different and we'll never know who's right, but I still believe that the major problem in 2011 was missing of Kleiza, that was the key why we didn't get a chance to fight for podium. Lot of people forgets about how good and how vital Kleiza was, especially after that one season in Olympiacos when he moved to PF, his ideal position on international scene. He was unstoppable. While going back to generations for the last time, the biggest abyss between generations in NT was felt in 1992-1996, it never came even close to that in later years IMO

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information