• so 1/8 final matchups are

SLO-ITA/GEO/UKR
    FIN-ITA/GEO
    FRA-GER
    LTU-GRE/POL

Comment

• Pau Gasol is already the top scorer in the history of all Eurobaskets

Comment

• BiH isn't on this Eurobasket because we couldn't beat Russia(now in the quarter-finals) in the qualifications, in some other groups it was enough to beat national teams made of semi - professional players
        Due to his elegance and imagination, Mirza Delibasic was one of the continent's greatest ever players.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiHBasket View Post
          BiH isn't on this Eurobasket because we couldn't beat Russia(now in the quarter-finals) in the qualifications, in some other groups it was enough to beat national teams made of semi - professional players
          I don't like the system with 24 teams and round of 16. First of all, it's cruel that you have to risk all your options in a single game so the teams that are not especially inspired that day get simply eliminated. It was more interesting the tournament with 16 teams that had a group stage, a second phase with other 3 games and finally the knockout rounds since quarterfinals. If you made a mistake in the second phase you had time to fix the problem so was regularity what really mattered. Apart from that, you had the possibility to see more interesting match-ups as thrashing Iceland or Romania is particularly pointless.

Anyway i guess that basketball is a business and FIBA Europe wants to develop a bigger market.

Comment

• Yes but at the same time, that system allowed many favorites to take it easy (Spain did often, so did Serbia in the past etc.) and then push harder later on. It gives a huge advantage to strong and deep teams since they can conserve their energy and then turn it on later. Weaker teams have very few chances to perform well in that system, since they cannot withstand so much high pressure games before the knockout phase. Makes the Eurobasket utterly predictable more or less.

I don't think that 24 teams is a bad choice. Yes, there will be always easy games but this is why the draw evens out the groups more or less and gives a chance for smaller NTs to have a minute on the European and World stage. That can only be good for basketball in the long run. Having a few more meaningless games in terms of results doesn't hurt anyone and gives teams a chance to work on some sets, rotations etc. On the other hand, there might be a scenario that one of these cannon-fodder teams makes a step up in the years to come and that is good for basketball. Where was Finland until recently? Should anybody discount what Hungary did?

Comment

• I guess I'll have to be cheering from Serbia from here on in because Serbia is the only remaining team that's never had a questionable "national" on its roster. The Serbian players as a whole should shave more often, however....

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                I guess I'll have to be cheering from Serbia from here on in because Serbia is the only remaining team that's never had a questionable "national" on its roster. The Serbian players as a whole should shave more often, however....

Still going through that Lumbersexual phase

Comment

• Refs are tragic on evey single game. FIBA rules.

Comment

• This year (2016-2017) i watched alot NBA for first time.
                    I watched almost all the games of Bucks and the playofs.
                    I have to say that NBA rules are much better than FIBA rules. There are many simple things that can be changed
                    The first one is the use of the video. Nobody's crying about refs when they have the time to watch the slowmotion from every angle and then they decide
                    41st place - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game!!

Comment

• the 24 team tournament is a nice effort of exploring basketball in new territories. we shouldn't be elitists, there wasn't basketball tradition in Greece before 80s, there wasn't turkish basketball back in 90s, and now we have Latvia.

On the other hand, what is going to happen from November and on, is really a complicated mystery. International bball is in danger of devaluation, and really hard to find out who to blame for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valexander View Post
                        the 24 team tournament is a nice effort of exploring basketball in new territories. we shouldn't be elitists, there wasn't basketball tradition in Greece before 80s, there wasn't turkish basketball back in 90s, and now we have Latvia.

On the other hand, what is going to happen from November and on, is really a complicated mystery. International bball is in danger of devaluation, and really hard to find out who to blame for.
                        FIBA, since knew there was no chance on earth for NBA players to play, yet they decided to introduce the new format. As a result the NTs which are heavily relient on NBA and EL players (basically half of Europe) will field teams 2-3 times worse, quality wise and will be in danger of missing the tournament.
                        1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                          FIBA, since knew there was no chance on earth for NBA players to play, yet they decided to introduce the new format. As a result the NTs which are heavily relient on NBA and EL players (basically half of Europe) will field teams 2-3 times worse, quality wise and will be in danger of missing the tournament.
                          The question is why NTs don't do something about it? Who can forces them to play this qualifications? Fiba without NTs is dead and buried.
                          previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                            So i guess that National championships will be off during this qualification tournaments, but Euroleague will still be on. Am i right?

And if i am right, for example, Greek NT would be represented basically from AEKs, PAOKs, Aris' etc players, that compete to fiba's tournaments?

And additionally, if these players manage to play and qualify (doubtful), how can you ask them to step aside when WC begins? And if they already know that this will happen how can you convince them to play and not to focus to their team goals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Valexander View Post
                              So i guess that National championships will be off during this qualification tournaments, but Euroleague will still be on. Am i right?

And if i am right, for example, Greek NT would be represented basically from AEKs, PAOKs, Aris' etc players, that compete to fiba's tournaments?
                              Yes, this NT will be a mix of AEK, Aris and PAOK players with some dudes who play abroad (Jankovic, maybe Bramos, Perperoglou, Bourousis)
                              1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
                                The question is why NTs don't do something about it? Who can forces them to play this qualifications? Fiba without NTs is dead and buried.
                                i just heard today on radio that the federations of France, Germany, Italy, Greece, and maybe Turkey, will have a meeting about this matter on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information