Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2017 - General Discussion

Default Eurobasket 2017 - General Discussion

The venue of the upcoming tournament is announced today. The host nations are Israel, Finland, Romania and Turkey in group phase. The Final phase will take place in Istanbul. It is nice to see Finland will host one of the group phase. Well deserved.

Banned

We will play in final again

Quote Originally Posted by INTEGRAL View Post
    We will play in final again
    Hey I wouldn't count it out. Magical things happen when you are hosts, ref wise

lol this is funny
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Romania comes as surprise, not really known for basketball except Gheorghe Mureșan. Vlad Moldoveanu is their best player? Should probably go with some naturalised player, has couple of solid players from Romanian league. Obviously Romania is a long time project, but federation works well since 2012 or so.

Finland really deserves this. As for the final stage...well, Turkey surely has some nice places to play basketball and that's the time for them to start all over again, probably going with really young team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Romania comes as surprise, not really known for basketball except Gheorghe Mureșan. Vlad Moldoveanu is their best player? Should probably go with some naturalised player, has couple of solid players from Romanian league. Obviously Romania is a long time project, but federation works well since 2012 or so.

Finland really deserves this. As for the final stage...well, Turkey surely has some nice places to play basketball and that's the time for them to start all over again, probably going with really young team.
    Based on my 3.5 years spent in Romania, I can say that Romania is one of the few countries in Europe that is too concerned about its image, and they're working (too) hard to change it. That's why they probably paid lots of money for this, too.

Having seen a few of Ploiesti's Eurocup games, I'm pretty sure they'll fill up the arenas though, as it's gonna be national event, more than a bball one.

Overall, not a bad choice for Euro basketball, but timing-wise not really a good kick-start option for Romania's long term ambitions. They don't have the players to make any kind of a surprise.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    Based on my 3.5 years spent in Romania, I can say that Romania is one of the few countries in Europe that is too concerned about its image, and they're working (too) hard to change it. That's why they probably paid lots of money for this, too.

Having seen a few of Ploiesti's Eurocup games, I'm pretty sure they'll fill up the arenas though, as it's gonna be national event, more than a bball one.

Overall, not a bad choice for Euro basketball, but timing-wise not really a good kick-start option for Romania's long term ambitions. They don't have the players to make any kind of a surprise.
    It is also kind of a tradeoff for Balkan Countries which are important basketball nations, and it will be close for them to attend as well.

Seein' Romania tries to get back to European bball map, I see nothing wrong in giving them this push. The same like Turkey hosting the final event. That's the least thing we should worry about. I just hope it won't turn into the worst Eurobasket in modern era. It's a trend after Olympics what so ever, but now with all the system has been changed, lot of major stars retirering, I'm afraid this could become even worse than 1993. Let's hope those two tickets for Olympics qualies will help players to decide to play for their countries

Draw for qualifications will be held on this Friday. Seedings:

Quote Originally Posted by BiHBasket View Post
    Draw for qualifications will be held on this Friday. Seedings:

Kosovo with a national team in basketball?Since when ?

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Since last year

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Since last year
    Pretty sure you searched it before you answer
    Just kidding,thanks for the info

They were already competing as NT in youth categories, and it was mentioned in one of threads about them.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Group A: Belgium, Iceland, Switzerland, Cyprus

Group B: Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark

Group C: Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sweden

Group D: Poland, Estonia, Belarus, Portugal

Group E: Slovenia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Kosovo*

Group F: Georgia, Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Albania

Group G: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Hungary, Great Britain, Luxembourg

Kosovo* can't get recognition from the UN, but it can get it from FIBA. Go figure!

Anyway with Slovenia and Ukraine in their group they no chance to qualify to Eurobasket, even if FIBA allows Kosovar Albanians who already played for other countries to be eligible. I guess that Slovenia's General Secretary Rašo Nesterović, head-coach Igor Kokoškov and players of Serb descent such as the Dragić brother, Aleksej Nikolić and especially Luka Dončić whose paternal familly roots are in Kosovo and Metothija, will enjoy to play there.

Quote Originally Posted by serbianhoops View Post
    Group A: Belgium, Iceland, Switzerland, Cyprus

Group B: Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark

Group C: Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sweden

Group D: Poland, Estonia, Belarus, Portugal

Group E: Slovenia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Kosovo*

Group F: Georgia, Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Albania

Group G: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Hungary, Great Britain, Luxembourg
    For the 1st place.

Group A: Easy group for Belgium, guaranteed first place, they might have a problem with Switzerland if C.Capela plays but still they should win.

Group B: Easy for Germany

Group C: Favorites Russia and Bosnia, it will all depend on who has their full roster if Russia brings all of its players they should win against Bosnia.

Group E: Easy for Slovenia, Ukraine might give them problems but Slovenia should finish 1st.

Group F: If Peković, and Vučević help Montenegro they will walk trough this group, and they will be dangerous in the tournament .

Group G: Will be tight between Macedonia and Britain.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

With all the respect,please at least write it FYROM as it is internationally recognized and not Macedonia
    With all respect, pretty much everyone does recognize the country as Macedonia rather than FYROM and that does not mean they want to offend Greek people and its great, historical roots - even if it does.

Guys, we have a special thread for this issue http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...e-think/page36

Please continue there

I didn't mean it to provoke,just asked him politely to change the name into the internationally recognized one
    I get it but it's quite usual thing when such discussions turns into big OT, so just in case I introduced relevant thread for that

Group E: Slovenia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Kosovo

FIBA allowed 6'4" SG Darban Berisha ('88), who is the son of a Kosovar Albanian father and a Polish mother, to switch national team. And, according to Serbian media, Kosovar officials have contacted Manresa's 7'0" Serbian C Dejan Musli ('91) through his agent Miško Ražnatović and offered him to play for them.

Groupe F: Georgia, Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Albania

Montenegro's head coach Bogdan Tanjević has stated that he will call up Real Madrid's Germany-born 6'7" SF Dino Radončić ('99) in the team for the qualifiers.

7'0" Serbian C Uroš Luković ('89), whose mother hails from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, is said to have applied for citizenship in order to play for MZT Skopje without his presence counting against domestic league’s quota of foreigners, giving rise to all kinds of speculation regarding his future national team status.

Rumour has it that Crvena Zvezda Belgrade's 6'10" combo F Quincy Miller is Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia 'first pick' to replace 6'8" PF Richard Hendrix as naturalized player.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast