No announcement yet.

Slo players abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emir Preldzic and also Gasper Vidmar look inspiring this summer. May be it is too early to say that but this can be the season that both take a big step for being important parts of Fenerbahce and Slovenian NT in the near future. Ömer Asik is out for 6 months, that means Gasper will be given more playing-times by Tanjevic, especially at high-level games. Things are similar for Emir who is usually used by Tanjevic in four different spots. His versatility is the best speciality of him and makes him important for squad-rotation. Also he has fairly improved his shooting skills, it is told that he had worked with Solomon on this. I am getting exciting news about their preseason performances, i hope both will have a better season...
    Last edited by MarkoMilic; 09-17-2008, 07:55 AM.
    Blog

Comment

• nice to hear that.
      They are a NT potential for the upcoming years, no doubt about it. It'll also be interesting to watch Fener's development though that period, considering all those youngsters Tanjević gathered in the club.
      Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
      That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Do we need to make a new 2008/2009 Slo Players Abroad thread?

So, the Dragic deal is done:
        Suns Sign Young Dragic -- By BOB BAUM, AP, September 23, 2008

PHOENIX (AP)—The Phoenix Suns have signed Slovenian point guard Goran Dragic to a multiyear contract and say he will play for the team this season.

The Suns acquired rights to the quick, sharp-shooting 22-year-old left-hander in a draft-day trade with the San Antonio Spurs. The contract is for three years with a team option for a fourth.

The Suns see the 6-foot-3, 190-pound European as a backup and eventual replacement for 34-year-old Steve Nash.

Dragic reached a $2 million buyout agreement with his Spanish team TAU Ceramica. The Suns contributed the NBA limit of $500,000. That doesn’t count Dragic’s salary which no doubt covered in the remainder of the deal.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr said Monday night that the deal took longer than expected but added “we knew it was just a matter of time.”

Although Dragic was the 45th overall pick overall, the Suns considered him second only to No. 1 pick Derrick Rose among point guards in the draft.

In a video shown on YouTube of the Suns headquarters during the draft, Kerr clenched his fist in triumph, then exchanged high-fives with everyone in the room after completing the trade that nabbed Dragic in the second round.

The Suns quietly brought Dragic to Phoenix for a workout just before the draft.

“He didn’t work out for any other NBA teams because he wanted to play for us,” Kerr said. “He flew from Slovenia to Phoenix and basically worked out the next day, then flew back there.”

Other NBA teams didn’t show interest because Dragic’s Spanish contract didn’t allow a buyout until next summer, but Dragic let it be known through his agent that he wanted to play with Nash and the Suns. Dragic also felt he could negotiate a buyout for this year.

Kerr called Dragic “a great kid—really, really competitive.”

The Suns sent San Antonio their second-round pick—the 48th overall—along with a 2009 second-round choice and cash. The Spurs used that pick to select forward-guard Malik Hairston of Oregon.

Dragic had been part of the Slovenian national team since 2006. During the 2007 European championships, he played 28 minutes in Slovenia’s upset of Tony Parker-led France.

Dragic spent last season with Union Olimpija, helping the team win the Slovenia League championship and the Slovenian Cup. He averaged 9.7 points, 3.1 assists and 1.2 steals in 13 games. He also averaged 12 points, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals in 28 Adriatic League games.

“When I was a kid, it was my dream to play in the NBA,” Dragic told the Arizona Republic after he was drafted. “It was my wish that the Suns pick me.”

But Kerr noted that Dragic will have to earn his playing time.

“He hasn’t done anything yet,” Kerr said. “He’s a prospect. We’re very high on him but he has to prove it. If he doesn’t, somebody else will. He’s not guaranteed anything.”

The Suns, in their first season under coach Terry Porter, hold their media day next Monday, then begin a five-day training camp in Tucson on Tuesday.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

• Bad start of the season for Samo Udrih, he'll be out for 4 weeks after injuring his left hand in training yesterday.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

• Why most of slovenian players who were or are in NBA have serbian names (Marko Milic, Radoslav Nesterovic, Aleksandar Vujacic, Goran Dragic)?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlbionGate
              Why most of slovenian players who were or are in NBA have serbian names (Marko Milic, Radoslav Nesterovic, Aleksandar Vujacic, Goran Dragic)?
              What do you mean Serbian names?
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Why most of slovenian players who were or are in NBA have serbian names (Marko Milic, Radoslav Nesterovic, Aleksandar Vujacic, Goran Dragic)?
                Marko Milic - his father is Serbian, mother Slovenian, he was born in Slovenia (Kranj)
                Radoslav Nesterovic - his parents are Bosnian Serbs, he was born in Slovenia (Ljubljana)
                Aleksandar Vujacic - his father is Montenegrin, mother Serbian, he was born in Slovenia (Maribor)
                Goran Dragic - his parents are Serbian, he was born in Slovenia (Ljubljana)

Most importently they all perfered Slovenian citizenship therefore playing for Slovenia instead of Serbia (it's logical that you play for country where you grew up)... well, I'm sure Vujacic would rather play for Italy than Serbia/Montenegro or Slovenia.

All of them are children of Serbs who left their home country (emigrants) seeking better life already in past Yugoslavia... (a lot of such cases in Slovenia) therefore were born in Slovenia. Except for Marko Milic's case, as I know his mother and father were both Yugoslavian NT athletes...

Comment

• For Nesterovic I'm not sure, you have to remember he left Slovan to join Partizan, but at the time (from 1992 to 1995) Yugoslavia (only Serbia & Montenegro) was under UN sanctions and was banned from all competitions. Then he moved to Greece (PAOK) where he became "Makris". He played for the first time for Slovenia during this period (in 1994).

To Elaj, I hope you won't see anything nationalistic in my post, because I consider that the slovenian basketball school and slovenian coaches are the ones who made this accomplishment possible (sending so much players in NBA)

Comment

Man i hate people who make such arguments damn.

They rather play for Slovenia deal with it.

Its like saying why players from the US have dutch african english etc. names.

Originally posted by AlbionGate
                    For Nesterovic I'm not sure, you have to remember he left Slovan to join Partizan, but at the time (from 1992 to 1995) Yugoslavia (only Serbia & Montenegro) was under UN sanctions and was banned from all competitions. Then he moved to Greece (PAOK) where he became "Makris". He played for the first time for Slovenia during this period (in 1994).

To Elaj, I hope you won't see anything nationalistic in my post, because I consider that the slovenian basketball school and slovenian coaches are the ones who made this accomplishment possible (sending so much players in NBA)
                    if it wasn't meant as nationalistic what was the point of the question you knew the answer already, so either you are a smart-ass or a nationalistic pig you decide.
                    My homage to The heroes:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

• I won't answer.

Comment

• I think it's easy to say sth. like one third of people living in Ljubljana's urban region has at least one of the parents of ex-Yu origin. Even Ljubljana's mayor was born in Serbia. So it's not really something unussual... try to look at the roster of our football NT
                        Than for example you've got guys as Nebojša Joksimović born in Koper, also to Serbian parents...
                        even in ice hockey Sabahudin Kovačević is a proud member of Slovenian NT... with guys as Murajica Pajić as one of our biggest hockey legends...

Did Nesterović actually play any games for PAOK, anyone? if i recall correctly Greeks were pretty pissed since he abandoned them as soon as he received the Greek passport...

in general... guys, calm down... it's worthless to argue about all that...
                        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Let's change the subject.

Emir and Gasper during Turkish Cup:

Emir Preldzic:

Vs. Erdemir: 12 pts(3/5 2pts, 2/4 3pts), 3rebs (1 of,2 def), 2st, 1as in 13:12 minutes
                          Vs. Kepez: 14 pts(5/5 2pts, 0/3 3pts, 4/4 ft), 5rebs (2 of,3 def), 4as in 22:26 minutes
                          Vs. Banvit: 5 pts (0/2 2pts, 1/3 pts, 2/2 ft), 8rebs (2 of, 6 def), 3as in 24:01 minutes

Gasper Vidmar:

Vs. Erdemir: 9pts (4/4 2 pts, 1/2 ft), 4rebs (3 def,1 of), 2st, 1 blk in 16:10 minutes
                          Vs. Kepez: 6pts (1/3 2 pts, 4/4 ft), 1 reb(def), 1 blk, 3 to in 15:19 minutes
                          Vs. Banvit: 10 pts (3/6 2 pts, 4/4 ft), 2 rebs (2 def), 1as, 1blk in 16:23 minutes

Tanjevic uses every player on rotation and it was only Giricek, who played more than 26-27 minutes during these games. Emir and Gasper are given important playing times but Gasper still has the same problem; taking easy and early fouls...
                          Blog

Comment

Those are some examples of our slovenian ignorance. These players are recognized as slovene, other with non-slovene surnames as a remains of former Yugoslavia are called "chefurji" (has to do smth with word cifut) by other slovenian population.

Because serbian-montenegro-bosnian minority is not recognized by Slovenia, in basketball they can prove themselves and gain some respect, so their community sticks together like hell. They had also a lot of great coaches like Todorovic, Lazic, Milovic, Sekulic, Subotic who always promote their players.

Not to mention their knowledge about this sport.Few years back there was one great slovenian forum for basketball on www.adriaticbasket.com, which was lead by famous Fidel, who admitted once that one of his parents was serbian.So......do the math

I read once that Goran Dragic mother is pure slovenian, she was well know volleyball player once. Small lapsus by elaj

Comment

• Dominant game for Rašo Nesterović scoring 21 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, dishing 5 assists, stealing 2 balls and blocking 3 shots. All-around game! He's been feeling quite confortable in Indiana's scheme.
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by rikhardur
                                Dominant game for Rašo Nesterović scoring 21 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, dishing 5 assists, stealing 2 balls and blocking 3 shots. All-around game! He's been feeling quite confortable in Indiana's scheme.
                                He had 12 points, 12 rebounds the other night, too. I think he missed some of the first games in the season, though. I'd really like to see him get the ball more. I think Rasho can be quite passive sometimes, but when he's allowed to back into the paint, he's very effective. He can just raise those long arms up and get a nice shot off the glass.

Udrih had 11 points (4-5), 4 steals, 5 assists[/b] in a loss to Memphis last night. Udrih had a game the other week with 30 points, 7 assists. When you take away his 2 and 4 point games in the first week of the season, he's averaging something like 16 points, 5 assists.
                                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information