Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 107

Thread: 2016-17 season wil start with only 16 teams

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaiqueries View Post
    30 useless meaningless games ?
    Why not 82 ?
    Yeah it is not like 90% of the first round today (10 games) and big portion of the second round (16 games) are totally useless already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaiqueries View Post
    Permanent franchise? Like in the NBA ? The league that managed to lose a few games vs teams whose star was way behind their 12th man ?
    You right there is no real value to permanent franchise.
    Because every time Panathinaikos / Olympiacos / Maccabi / Real Madrid / Barcelona / Fener loose a playoff series because some fluke we would prefer not to see those teams in the Euroleague. Basketball is not football, 2-3 bad injuries in a bad time and you can loose a series to the 8 seeded teams and finish in the bottom half of the league.

    And we sure don't need to learn anything from the NBA, the league in which the worst team bringing more fans per game than 95% of the teams in the Euroleague (even though there are much more games in the NBA), The league that has all the talent and rising in each year more than the Euroleague rise in the last half century, the league where a game between any of the top 20 teams is fascinating since even the 20th teams is so good that it has a realistic chance to win. We better not learn anything from them, lets continue Euroleague style it is much better to have a league that can't sell half of the tickets to its main event of the year.

    And I guess the NBA teams that lost to Euroleague teams, prepared really hard for those games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaiqueries View Post
    Also, they could put a zone under the basket where teams can't defend so there are more dunks.
    I don't think that the rule is great, but who decided that having a small arch and fat ass that stands 20s of the time in the middle of the paint is necessarily better than having more open game with more place to operate and play ball? The rule just add more complexity to the defence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaiqueries View Post
    And they could fine the teams that don't use the rosters you usually see on TV because kids who go to the circus are going to be disappointed.
    What a terrible idea, to have a league wide responsibility for the product it supply. NBA understands that if they want to continue with current situation in which every summer the US Baksetball garbage flying to Europe in exchange for the best players Europe can offer, this little kid need to have passion for the game! He is the client of the game, as much as the most craziest fan in the stands, and if he want to see his hero, and his hero is healthy he should see it.

    And it is also good to demand teams to put their finest roster, since it is more fair to the other teams that competing in the league.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    459
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    Nailed it. 4 round robin, a lot of exciting games, like Zalgiris - Milano, closed league, NBA-lite. Wow, sounds great!

    I think there is a fierce competitor in CBA since it's their initial idea to be poor man's NBA with all the retardiness of the latter but almost none of the chic and PR successes, but Jordi's IMG Turkish Airlines Zalgirio-Dogus League (it seems like a great name) could at least compete with them mighty Pilipinos for the title of the second best NBA's parody (or second worst, doesn't matter). Like that retarded overseas flying circus ain't enough...

    They only need Manchester United BC and Saint Petersburd Lions in. I hope that won't be a huge deal.

    On a more serious note, I pray to God that it's a disinformation (directed at FIBA obviously) or that at the very least this dirty deal won't be finalized and put into reality. If my hopes would be in vain, then I won't watch this sham league, not even Final Fours. And I don't care if Khimki would be invited to join or not. The saddest reality that ir ruins domestic championships more than anything else.

    Last but not least, there are a lot of teams with A Licenses which are nowhere near a top European status (Efes, Fener, Milano, and - to a lesser degree - Baskonia, MTA and Pao of their current selves) but even risking getting Lithuanian hordes on IBN extremely butthurt once again - why the fuck Zalgiris? WHAT THE FUCK? I mean, the last time that team was in EL play-offs was when Domantas Sabonis was a Portland's kindergarden toddler and they still get a free pass for 10 years of European's lame-ass fake NBA. Get a life, Jordi, maybe you have a man crush on Sabonis the Elder but that's not a reason to treat Zalgiris like that. Maaan, it's not even funny.

    Basketball for basketball fans, not for ULEB crooks! And, Jordi, you won't be reading it but still I have something to say, well, to quote sadly forgotten grindcore pioneers Righteous Pigs, 'I hope you die in a hotel fire!'

    P.S. This very well could be the end of the baketball as we've known it. The plot sickens. And the curtain is about to fall.
    Take a dope like all russians athletes does and relax

  3. #23
    Senior Member slice me nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    1,677
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    When I said American basketball, I didn't mean NBA. It is just an utopia to believe European basketball teams will have the same amount of revenue with NBA teams under these circumstances. European players will never keep themselves away from having cross-continental adventure unless a big economic crisis occurs there or Kim Jong-Un fires one of his fancy nuclear bombs to the center of Washington. NBA teams have 30 A licences but is the system same with European basketball or should I call it Euroleague Company basketball? There are a lot of tones which make NBA more attractive. I don't believe that we can reach NBA's level but at least by applying some innovative rules, we can maximize the potential. Basketball is the second popular sport in the continent however the interest that it has been drawn towards it can't be compared with football. Just because these 11 capitalists, let sleeping dogs lie mentality clubs, we can't attract more people. I will just give one example. In Turkey, the fan base of Galatasaray and Beşiktaş is something like 45 million. That's a huge market. Instead of using this kind of huge fan base, every year you invite a team that doesn't have a fan base. Efes. It is just because financial concern of Jordi. Beşiktaş or Galatasaray can't promise him to spend 30 million Euro every year. But Efes can promise on this. Since Euroleague is a profit seeking company, automatically they don't want to lose this kind of treasure. When Efes gets fancy names, Euroleague is making the biggest impact on the market instead of the clubs. I also don't or can't understand some guys under this thread. A Polish guy is coming here and appears as the biggest defender of Jordi and Euroleague. ''Euroleague will be the best league in the world xD xD''. Maybe in your dreams uh? How many Polish team have gotten a chance here to represent Poland? Not just Poland. What about other countries? As far as Turkish teams go, I am okay with the number of Turkish teams in this competition. From 16 teams, most probably 3 of them will be Turkish teams. The number is okay but where is the justice? Fener and Efes will be here even if they will be eliminated in Quarter Finals in domestic league. So, if you are okay with this kind of consequence then I have no words for you guys who think these news ''sound better''. I don't think these news will make good impact on competitiveness between teams. If teams want to save the future of European basketball, some of them should seriously think the FIBA's offer. Euroleague seeks money but theoretically FIBA doesn't ask. Some kind of organization like Champions League should be created.

    11 A licences team means same ''customer base''. All those fans of 11 teams are the loyal obedient customer of Jordi. When FIBA takes the helm, we will have a chance to expand the base. From Jordi's side, it is a safe investment. He and his customers' know that even if they will fail this year, they will still be here regardless of their shameful unsuccessful actions from last year. Why do I have to watch a team who is spending 30 million Euro every year and even can't reach Top 8 most of the times? And should everyone be happy with the huge gap between Euroleague teams's budget? CSKA and Fenerbahçe Ülker are simply ruling the transfer market by getting whoever they want. A salary cap should be here. Anyway, since there are a lot of Euroleague clappers, those 11 teams will continue to ridicule us.

    Btw, why Euroleague teams care how much they will take in their pockets? They are making loss one way or another. Why teams are begging for 2 million Euro where each of them spend at least 7 or 8 million Euro?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,971
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    ABA, German and French champion will play this new euroleague, probably.

  5. #25
    Senior Member rayo1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    160
    Country: Poland

    Default

    This format are great! The only thing I would like to change is the anthem that should go back to the anthem from the previous euroleague edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvXY5-Sl6Q

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    Btw, why Euroleague teams care how much they will take in their pockets? They are making loss one way or another. Why teams are begging for 2 million Euro where each of them spend at least 7 or 8 million Euro?
    Actually, it's the difference between constantly losing money and having marginal profit, at least for Olympiacos and I'm sure a few other teams too.

    11 A licenses are too many but even FIBA's offer gives out 8 of them (to the same teams excluding Armani, Kutxa and Zalgiris).

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    I will just give one example. In Turkey, the fan base of Galatasaray and Beşiktaş is something like 45 million. That's a huge market. Instead of using this kind of huge fan base, every year you invite a team that doesn't have a fan base. Efes. It is just because financial concern of Jordi. Beşiktaş or Galatasaray can't promise him to spend 30 million Euro every year. But Efes can promise on this. Since Euroleague is a profit seeking company, automatically they don't want to lose this kind of treasure. When Efes gets fancy names, Euroleague is making the biggest impact on the market instead of the clubs. I also don't or can't understand some guys under this thread. A Polish guy is coming here and appears as the biggest defender of Jordi and Euroleague. ''Euroleague will be the best league in the world xD xD''. Maybe in your dreams uh? How many Polish team have gotten a chance here to represent Poland? Not just Poland. What about other countries?
    It seems you're suggesting an A license simply for having fans because it would suit the team you support.
    And Zielona Gora represents Poland's basketball but can't make it past the regular season. Football is more popular in Poland but they haven't had a team in the Champions League for years because their coefficient isn't high enough.

    We don't need to make sure Poland has one team and Slovenia has one team and every other country too. It should be the other way around, it shouldn't be a certainty that France gets a team(let alone two!) when they are consistently among the worst.

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    This move was expected.
    The most rational move for Bertomeu in order to improve his chances fighting Fiba was going towards a 16 teams league. 16 most profitable ones, however, anyone that got himself through the "economics 101" course (in US considered s the starting lesson of economics) can realise that with 11-12 A licenced teams you're not really able to constantly explore the market searching the potential next "big spender" as Slice me nice pointed out on Gala and Besiktas case and that model just never will be the optimal as far as growth is concerned. Be it financial or sportive growth that is.

    Fiba obviously tried to lure these top10-11 teams by giving them an A licence as well, however the likely outcome by now should be an attempt of a champions league model, they can't be that stupid to lure themselves into trying to buy some of those top teams into the competition.
    If Fiba goes hard core and manages to get the leagues (The actual ULEB) on their side, Bertomeu's vision is done, nothing changed there.

    Clubs aren't unanimous in all of this, they just don't want to get caught betting on the future looser in this conflict as it might cost them dearly. However as soon as Bertomeu loses just 2-3 clubs out of his precious 11, his financial scheme likely collapses. Just as in 2000, the money one or the other side promises is relatively irrelevant, the winner will likely promise more than he can pay, just in order to kick the oponent out of the market.


    @Oly_fan: Zielona gora isn't exactly all that competitive, however pay in mind that the Polish league as a whole has made a noticable step forward in the last decade, just look at their NT for example. Various teams competing in euroleague played a role there. It might take time for them to be more competitive, however achieving that with an organic growth of basketball through the country as a whole compared to one team spending millions of € they can't afford to stay competitive, is the real dilema that should be set here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  9. #29
    Senior Member slice me nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    1,677
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    It seems you're suggesting an A license simply for having fans because it would suit the team you support.
    And Zielona Gora represents Poland's basketball but can't make it past the regular season. Football is more popular in Poland but they haven't had a team in the Champions League for years because their coefficient isn't high enough.

    We don't need to make sure Poland has one team and Slovenia has one team and every other country too. It should be the other way around, it shouldn't be a certainty that France gets a team(let alone two!) when they are consistently among the worst.
    Basketball is for fun. Logically, in this kind of competition there should be the variety and polyphony among basketball fans. I do want to see more teams with huge fan base of course. Every year 20 million Beşiktaş fans become distanced towards basketball. Do you know what will happen if you pull these fans into the basketball? Basketball grows. Maybe in short term, this growth doesn't transmit as revenue to clubs but in long term, since the fan base is expanded, the clubs will generate more revenue from TV rights let's say the first thing that spring to my mind. I just gave the example of Beşiktaş but I can tell you any other 10 teams with huge fan base. Beside the fan base, representation of countries makes sense too. Let's imagine Zalgiris is out of top tier European competition for a while. You simply lose the attraction from Lithuania if something like that happens. I also see this move as the threat in front of basketball countries. Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia and even Lithuania won't have a chance to send second team to this competition. That's just pathetic. That's pure monopoly. Only Turkish, Greek, Russian, Spanish and Italian team or teams are here and every year we will see the same story here. 100th game between Fenerbahçe Ülker and Barcelona in five years period. How exciting WOW!

    I won't tell anything about football since I don't have much knowledge on it but popular sport doesn't mean that the country is successful at it that we are on the same line. Even though Poland doesn't see basketball as the popular sport, they still have an average team in basketball when they are not represented bu any team in football. That can be called as success. So no need to break the success line of a country by decreasing the number of teams.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    @Oly_fan: Zielona gora isn't exactly all that competitive, however pay in mind that the Polish league as a whole has made a noticable step forward in the last decade, just look at their NT for example. Various teams competing in euroleague played a role there. It might take time for them to be more competitive, however achieving that with an organic growth of basketball through the country as a whole compared to one team spending millions of € they can't afford to stay competitive, is the real dilema that should be set here.
    So has Finland or the Netherlands. Why don't they get a spot? FYROM was far more successful, why didn't they get one?

    I don't think a european league's purpose is to assist in the organic growth of national basketball. This is the primarily the job of national federations and local clubs.
    A european league's purpose is to bring together the best teams in Europe in a competitive tournament. The regural season as it is now is hardly competitive (and I'm not going by this season only, since we've had a few surprise results). It was a common theme to have teams casually stroll in a 10-0 run. What this does is essentially postpone the start of the season to January.

    Moving to 16 teams means there are one or two teams that we might miss but I don't think anyone will feel sorry for not seing Strasbourg or Sassari.
    THe 11 teams that get an A license have a constant presence in the top 16 anyway so no one can say they're robbing someone else of their spot.
    Last edited by Oly_fan; 11-11-2015 at 01:11 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    Basketball is for fun. Logically, in this kind of competition there should be the variety and polyphony among basketball fans. I do want to see more teams with huge fan base of course. Every year 20 million Beşiktaş fans become distanced towards basketball. Do you know what will happen if you pull these fans into the basketball? Basketball grows. Maybe in short term, this growth doesn't transmit as revenue to clubs but in long term, since the fan base is expanded, the clubs will generate more revenue from TV rights let's say the first thing that spring to my mind. I just gave the example of Beşiktaş but I can tell you any other 10 teams with huge fan base. Beside the fan base, representation of countries makes sense too. Let's imagine Zalgiris is out of top tier European competition for a while. You simply lose the attraction from Lithuania if something like that happens. I also see this move as the threat in front of basketball countries. Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia and even Lithuania won't have a chance to send second team to this competition. That's just pathetic. That's pure monopoly. Only Turkish, Greek, Russian, Spanish and Italian team or teams are here and every year we will see the same story here. 100th game between Fenerbahçe Ülker and Barcelona in five years period. How exciting WOW!

    I won't tell anything about football since I don't have much knowledge on it but popular sport doesn't mean that the country is successful at it that we are on the same line. Even though Poland doesn't see basketball as the popular sport, they still have an average team in basketball when they are not represented bu any team in football. That can be called as success. So no need to break the success line of a country by decreasing the number of teams.
    It is Besiktas' basketball club's job to pull its fans closer. Not Euroleague's job to give Besiktas an A license when Besiktas isn't at that level yet.
    Bayern also has many fans and they're actually a pretty decent team, they're not getting an A license either. And imagine if they were going to give a Manchester United Basketball Club an A license without any kind of investment beforehand, simply to try and pull its fans.

    What could pull fans and what will keep the current fans here is a good competition.

    Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia and even Lithuania won't have a chance to send second team to this competition. That's just pathetic. That's pure monopoly. Only Turkish, Greek, Russian, Spanish and Italian team or teams are here and every year we will see the same story here. 100th game between Fenerbahçe Ülker and Barcelona in five years period. How exciting WOW!

    I won't tell anything about football since I don't have much knowledge on it but popular sport doesn't mean that the country is successful at it that we are on the same line. Even though Poland doesn't see basketball as the popular sport, they still have an average team in basketball when they are not represented bu any team in football. That can be called as success. So no need to break the success line of a country by decreasing the number of teams.
    Zielona Gora is not average in the current euroleague format. They're traditionally among the top candidates to get out immediately. It's not a success because nothing tells me they won their place, I don't think their previous appearances justify their spot. They're just there in the regular season, end up with something like 2-8 and carry on in the Eurocup anyway. I'm not saying this to offend any team of course but the differences in strength among some clubs are pretty big.

    Greece only has one team in the UEFA champions league because that's how many teams we can have, even if Spain has 4. Spain has 4 teams that can all be competitive whereas if Greece sent a second team they'd be cannon fodder. Of course other national leagues, like Poland, don't even have that. How could any league be guaranteed more spots than it deserves simply for diversity?

    The problem with A licenses is that they're mostly inflexible. If a league were to grow stronger, we wouldn't get more teams from there and that's wrong. That's why we need coefficients in some manner.
    But instead of asking that, some fans want an even more extreme version of the A licenses where their team is guaranteed a spot no matter how weak it might be.
    I don't think that's either doable or something we should want.

  12. #32
    Senior Member str8diah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Athens / Greece
    Posts
    108
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    P.S. Teams have to be renamed obviously. Their current names are so retrograde and boring. For example, Fenerbahce would be Istanbul Flying Janissaries and Real Madrid's new name would be San Miguel (TM) Drunk Toreros.
    I was reading seriously this topic suddenly i read this and cracked up like hell . ROFL
    "Winners train, Losers complain"

  13. #33
    Senior Member slice me nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    1,677
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    It is Besiktas' basketball club's job to pull its fans closer. Not Euroleague's job to give Besiktas an A license when Besiktas isn't at that level yet.
    Bayern also has many fans and they're actually a pretty decent team, they're not getting an A license either. And imagine if they were going to give a Manchester United Basketball Club an A license without any kind of investment beforehand, simply to try and pull its fans.

    What could pull fans and what will keep the current fans here is a good competition.


    Zielona Gora is not average in the current euroleague format. They're traditionally among the top candidates to get out immediately. It's not a success because nothing tells me they won their place, I don't think their previous appearances justify their spot. They're just there in the regular season, end up with something like 2-8 and carry on in the Eurocup anyway. I'm not saying this to offend any team of course but the differences in strength among some clubs are pretty big.

    Greece only has one team in the UEFA champions league because that's how many teams we can have, even if Spain has 4. Spain has 4 teams that can all be competitive whereas if Greece sent a second team they'd be cannon fodder. Of course other national leagues, like Poland, don't even have that. How could any league be guaranteed more spots than it deserves simply for diversity?

    The problem with A licenses is that they're mostly inflexible. If a league were to grow stronger, we wouldn't get more teams from there and that's wrong. That's why we need coefficients in some manner.
    But instead of asking that, some fans want an even more extreme version of the A licenses where their team is guaranteed a spot no matter how weak it might be.
    I don't think that's either doable or something we should want.
    How did you surmise that I asked direct participation for my team? I didn't ask A licence. I just stated the who deserves it should be there. If they cancel these licences, believe me one of these two A licenced Turkish teams will be out of competition almost every year. I just said it. You don't get Euroleague participation invitation even if you play final in Turkish league. That's worse than foolery. If my team is better than those two teams, they should be there. Not the one who failed. Simple.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,215
    Country: Italy

    Default

    about us. sure, actual format allowed us to often get playoff even spending few pennies. it would be impossibile with new format but i think it will be a better format

  15. #35
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    A few notes
    1)IMG is the new Telefonika it seems..If anyone believes that a company in current economic world will just donate 600 millions(!!) to a marginal league like Jordi Cup better wake up.Whole thing will turn out to be a scam,i give it 1 year before IMG withdraws..
    2)This joke of a format changes nothing for leagues like Germany,France,Adriatic League.On the other hand if you're an ambitious club of a country where other clubs hold A licences you;re simply screwed.Valencias,Gran Canarias,russian teams,Lietuvos,Galata,Paok,Italian teams,Hapoel Tel Aviv.The chances of joining El for them are like 0.5%.I see no reason for these clubs to continue supporting Jordi's monstrosity and play in Eurocup.
    3)FIBA's handling of the situation was stupid,they should have proposed an champions league like format open to everyone,then the whole fans and national leagues would be behind them.Instead they tried to appease to the same old clubs and it came to bite them in the ass.

  16. #36
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    So has Finland or the Netherlands. Why don't they get a spot? FYROM was far more successful, why didn't they get one?
    I said that the step forward Polish national league has done within the last decade helped with their NT strenght and sending in a champion instead of Prokom every single year, contributed there. If Finns and Dutch will make their league competitive it will surely improve their NT as well, never claimed they have to be given an automatic place in euroleague automaticaly in order to achieve that, but will always be strongly in favour of them at least getting a chance for it as having a basketball team at the highest euro club level in my opinion isn't some "by God given right" as some see it, but has to be earned on court instead.

    I don't think a european league's purpose is to assist in the organic growth of national basketball. This is the primarily the job of national federations and local clubs.
    A european league's purpose is to bring together the best teams in Europe in a competitive tournament. The regural season as it is now is hardly competitive (and I'm not going by this season only, since we've had a few surprise results). It was a common theme to have teams casually stroll in a 10-0 run. What this does is essentially postpone the start of the season to January.
    Well, I disagree with those few clubs being entitled to representing the whole of europe and exploiting the organic growth created through other ways (NBA, players, NT, dedicated smaller fanbases etc.). Some clubs got their interests to protect and are absolutely entitled to sharing your opinion, however would that make it any less partial of an interest? I, and I dare to say many more fans, don't see those clubs entitled to it, based on their spendings and some past glory. They are representatives of the best basketball in europe, not THE european basketball.

    Also, you do realize that a large portion of that "competitiveness" of the top10 clubs is achieved exactly through licences? Having a licence means you'll get a player for a 300k € instead of 500k € non-euroleague teams should pay to lure the man in their roster. It also makes the long term signings cheaper for the licence-holding team, on the expense of everyone else. They get a better sponsorship deals (on the expense of other clubs once again) as well as TV contracts and those uneven playing ground largely makes club basketball uninteresting for majority of basketball fans.
    What's wrong with the champions league model? if these 10 teams are long term best thing for basketball, I'm sure they'll be able to qualify over and over again? And i they don't, some other team obviously deserved it more.

    And you see that's the point, those biggest clubs are in fact interested in euroleagues model, however majority of other smaller teams aren't. Euroleague's management has created an impression that european club basketball consists of no more than 10-20 teams and their interests, however I think it does not and that the opposition represents such a majority it really takes Fiba to screw up bad to lose this one. The future developments this summer will eventually tell if I'm wrong on this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  17. #37
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metec View Post
    Yeah it is not like 90% of the first round today (10 games) and big portion of the second round (16 games) are totally useless already.



    You right there is no real value to permanent franchise.
    Because every time Panathinaikos / Olympiacos / Maccabi / Real Madrid / Barcelona / Fener loose a playoff series because some fluke we would prefer not to see those teams in the Euroleague. Basketball is not football, 2-3 bad injuries in a bad time and you can loose a series to the 8 seeded teams and finish in the bottom half of the league.

    .
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  18. #38
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    A few notes
    1)IMG is the new Telefonika it seems..If anyone believes that a company in current economic world will just donate 600 millions(!!) to a marginal league like Jordi Cup better wake up.Whole thing will turn out to be a scam,i give it 1 year before IMG withdraws..
    True! However these "600M" are a sum of prognosed income over the 10 years and in 2025 when you've got only one player, I don't think any club will be there saying, hey we only got 15 millions instead of 50.

    2)This joke of a format changes nothing for leagues like Germany,France,Adriatic League.On the other hand if you're an ambitious club of a country where other clubs hold A licences you;re simply screwed.Valencias,Gran Canarias,russian teams,Lietuvos,Galata,Paok,Italian teams,Hapoel Tel Aviv.The chances of joining El for them are like 0.5%.I see no reason for these clubs to continue supporting Jordi's monstrosity and play in Eurocup.
    +1
    However Fiba can screw up badly if they go in a war trying to outbid euroleague for Real, Barcelona and in the end come up with the same A-licence competition model, as you're saying in the 3rd point...

    3)FIBA's handling of the situation was stupid,they should have proposed an champions league like format open to everyone,then the whole fans and national leagues would be behind them.Instead they tried to appease to the same old clubs and it came to bite them in the ass.
    +1000
    I might be a bit orthodox on this matter and was always strongly in favour of such model. However through commentaries on various Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian forums or talking about it with various people, I'm getting a feeling that quite a noticable majority actualy prefers it champions league way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"
    +10^100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    On the other hand if you're an ambitious club of a country where other clubs hold A licences you;re simply screwed.Valencias,Gran Canarias,russian teams,Lietuvos,Galata,Paok,Italian teams,Hapoel Tel Aviv.The chances of joining El for them are like 0.5%
    lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    A few notes
    1)IMG is the new Telefonika it seems..If anyone believes that a company in current economic world will just donate 600 millions(!!) to a marginal league like Jordi Cup better wake up.Whole thing will turn out to be a scam,i give it 1 year before IMG withdraws..
    No one is donating anything.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,833
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post

    Well, I disagree with those few clubs being entitled to representing the whole of europe and exploiting the organic growth created through other ways (NBA, players, NT, dedicated smaller fanbases etc.). Some clubs got their interests to protect and are absolutely entitled to sharing your opinion, however would that make it any less partial of an interest? I, and I dare to say many more fans, don't see those clubs entitled to it, based on their spendings and some past glory. They are representatives of the best basketball in europe, not THE european basketball.

    Also, you do realize that a large portion of that "competitiveness" of the top10 clubs is achieved exactly through licences? Having a licence means you'll get a player for a 300k € instead of 500k € non-euroleague teams should pay to lure the man in their roster. It also makes the long term signings cheaper for the licence-holding team, on the expense of everyone else. They get a better sponsorship deals (on the expense of other clubs once again) as well as TV contracts and those uneven playing ground largely makes club basketball uninteresting for majority of basketball fans.
    What's wrong with the champions league model? if these 10 teams are long term best thing for basketball, I'm sure they'll be able to qualify over and over again? And i they don't, some other team obviously deserved it more.

    And you see that's the point, those biggest clubs are in fact interested in euroleagues model, however majority of other smaller teams aren't. Euroleague's management has created an impression that european club basketball consists of no more than 10-20 teams and their interests, however I think it does not and that the opposition represents such a majority it really takes Fiba to screw up bad to lose this one. The future developments this summer will eventually tell if I'm wrong on this subject.
    No tournament can represent european basketball in general because european basketball involves hundreds of teams. It can however represent the best in european basketball.
    Saying that having an A license means you can attract more players sounds quite funny because it seems to me that the secret to attracting players is being based somewhere in eastern europe with a flat tax rate and an endless supply of money.

    I already said a club-nation coefficient system would be better. I just don't think it would change the participants by much, perhaps not at all in the short term.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •