2016-17 season wil start with only 16 teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrorizer View Post
    Nailed it. 4 round robin, a lot of exciting games, like Zalgiris - Milano, closed league, NBA-lite. Wow, sounds great!

I think there is a fierce competitor in CBA since it's their initial idea to be poor man's NBA with all the retardiness of the latter but almost none of the chic and PR successes, but Jordi's IMG Turkish Airlines Zalgirio-Dogus League (it seems like a great name) could at least compete with them mighty Pilipinos for the title of the second best NBA's parody (or second worst, doesn't matter). Like that retarded overseas flying circus ain't enough...

They only need Manchester United BC and Saint Petersburd Lions in. I hope that won't be a huge deal.

On a more serious note, I pray to God that it's a disinformation (directed at FIBA obviously) or that at the very least this dirty deal won't be finalized and put into reality. If my hopes would be in vain, then I won't watch this sham league, not even Final Fours. And I don't care if Khimki would be invited to join or not. The saddest reality that ir ruins domestic championships more than anything else.

Last but not least, there are a lot of teams with A Licenses which are nowhere near a top European status (Efes, Fener, Milano, and - to a lesser degree - Baskonia, MTA and Pao of their current selves) but even risking getting Lithuanian hordes on IBN extremely butthurt once again - why the fuck Zalgiris? WHAT THE FUCK? I mean, the last time that team was in EL play-offs was when Domantas Sabonis was a Portland's kindergarden toddler and they still get a free pass for 10 years of European's lame-ass fake NBA. Get a life, Jordi, maybe you have a man crush on Sabonis the Elder but that's not a reason to treat Zalgiris like that. Maaan, it's not even funny.

Basketball for basketball fans, not for ULEB crooks! And, Jordi, you won't be reading it but still I have something to say, well, to quote sadly forgotten grindcore pioneers Righteous Pigs, 'I hope you die in a hotel fire!'

P.S. This very well could be the end of the baketball as we've known it. The plot sickens. And the curtain is about to fall.
    I wonder what happened to you that you can not post a single post without specifically hating on Lithuanian national team or Zalgiris.
    It is not a healthy, objective criticism, it is blind hate as you did not hate all the other teams combined as much as you hated Lithuanian NT and Zalgiris.
    Something personal must have happened to you in Lithuania or by Lithuania/Lithuanians.
    It is getting out of control.

Comment

Some ideas for the new rules of Jordi's basketball.

Zone defense is banned. Defensive three and a half second rule (you can't spend more than 3,5 seconds in your paint when defending - hence, more dunks! thanks, Guaiqeres for idea). Dunk equals three points. Lay-up after going coast-to-coast equals four points. Dunk after going coast-to-coast equals five points. Alley-oop dunk equals six points. Both alley-oop tomahawk or windmill dunks equal seven points. Buzzer-beater equals 8 points, buzzer-beater after isolation play equals 9 points and fadeaway buzzer-beater after isolation play equals 10 points. And offensive possesion lasts 12 seconds (coupled with new brand buzzer-beating scoring system it certainly means more entertaining buzzer-beaters obviously!). There are licenses for goal-tending which can be bought directly from ULEB (no more than five per game, or in the case of whatever team Vesely plays for - seven per game; hence, more flashy block shots). No more than 3 assists per possesion allowed (European game is so slow, calculated and boring with all the tiresome ball movement and consecutive screens when you just need isos for stars to be a premier show and entertainment). Travel is re-formulated as anything with more than 6 steps without dribbling the ball (by the way, some unwhistled travels in NBA would still be whistled if such a rule was enacted). On-court HD cameras hidden in stars' underwear. Only chants 'M-V-P!', 'De-fense' and 'Vi-va Jor-di' are allowed for the fans. There has to be a gay player in any EL team who comes out only in the case his team emerges as a champion, after a final whistle (it would put NBA to shame and show that Europe is much more forward-thinking and LGBT-concerned). After winning the title Jordi's IMG Turkish Airlines Zalgirio-Dogus EuroLeague champions are obliged to play play-off series (best of 7 format) with reigning NBDL, CBA and PBA Governor's Cup champions (a nice substitute of Eurobaskets which would be discontinued, World Cup would be held once in every 8 years). Draft which would rival NBDL's one has to be established.

And what do you guys think aboust such propositions? I think it will stimulate huge positive trend in stagnant and degrading continental basketball whcih will bring dreary and sloppy European game significantly closer to NBA standards of quality entertainment and flashy show.

P.S. Teams have to be renamed obviously. Their current names are so retrograde and boring. For example, Fenerbahce would be Istanbul Flying Janissaries and Real Madrid's new name would be San Miguel (TM) Drunk Toreros.

P.P.S. Ahh, I forgot about the last one. Game will be played for 56 minuted (4 periods of 14 minutes each) and there would be big fines if no one in your team had played more than 48 minutes and if less than three players played more than 40 minutes (basketball fans desrve to see stars playint to the full, in true NBA-ish way, not some sloppy nonames with all that Barca-like rotations when difference between playing time of the first and eighth players is often less than five minutes).

P.P.P.S. Wow, I've just came up with totally new idea. You know the bullits in ice hockey, right? We need to get something similar in Jordi's basketball. If the game is tied after 56 minutes of play, overtime is played in 1-on-1 format (team's main stars are playing, of course) and a team gets a win if its leader is the first to score 3 baskets (each one coasts one point with the only exception in windmill dunk after backboard alley-oop to yourself which will earn you two points, also the rule 'no blood - no foul' is enacted for the overtime).
      Last edited by Terrorizer; 11-11-2015, 02:47 AM.
      2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

Originally posted by thegreekmeister View Post
        I wonder what happened to you that you can not post a single post without specifically hating on Lithuanian national team or Zalgiris.
        It is not a healthy, objective criticism, it is blind hate as you did not hate all the other teams combined as much as you hated Lithuanian NT and Zalgiris.
        Something personal must have happened to you in Lithuania or by Lithuania/Lithuanians.
        For the better or for the worse, I've never been to Lithuania. And I'm definitely not having this country in my long 'to visit' list

All my real life interaction with Lithuanians is limited to visiting basketball fans or ethnic Lithuanians who live in Russia. The latter are totally indistinguishable in their behaviour and lifestyle from Russians (with the sole exception of my Tver' region village's 'kulak' who was born in Siauliai and is a perfect impersonation of 'impudence is a second happiness' Russian saying but I doubt that it has something to do with his ethnic background) and with the former I have only respectful and sometimes even cordial conversations (quite surprisingly - or not? - no one of them trashtalked Russia/Soviet Union or bitched about 'St. George's ribbon' on my backpack ). Moreover, when talking to Liths who live in Lithuania I didn't get a feeling that there is a some sort of mental barrier between us (which is typical for conversations with many Western Europeans), they made an impression of just regular post-Soviet folks with funny accents when speaking Russian. There was totally no bad blood between me and your compatriots whom I've met in person.

And, putting my presumed anti-Lithuanian bias aside, do you really believe in all sincerity that Zalgiris deserves to be among this 'crem della crem' (c) rayo1985 of European basketball?
        Last edited by Terrorizer; 11-11-2015, 03:14 AM.
        2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

Last but not least, there are a lot of teams with A Licenses which are nowhere near a top European status (Efes, Fener, Milano, and - to a lesser degree - Baskonia, MTA and Pao of their current selves) but even risking getting Lithuanian hordes on IBN extremely butthurt once again - why the fuck Zalgiris? WHAT THE FUCK? I mean, the last time that team was in EL play-offs was when Domantas Sabonis was a Portland's kindergarden toddler and they still get a free pass for 10 years of European's lame-ass fake NBA. Get a life, Jordi, maybe you have a man crush on Sabonis the Elder but that's not a reason to treat Zalgiris like that. Maaan, it's not even funny.
          I prefer any of the team you mentioned over Khimki in any league that want to become successful. When Maccabi play against Turkish / Greek / Ex-Yugoslavian / Lithuanian / Spanish teams I am as a fan get excited. On the other half when they have to play Russian teams I just hate every minute of the game (And not just because of the fact that they loosing by 30 most of the times). Russian courts look like graveyards, So much success for Russian teams and still CSKA playing in a shitty 5K arena (Its not like there are not enough bigger arenas in Moscow) Most of the other Russian teams look the same. It seems that team basketball just doesn't have enough potential in Russia.

Successful product should create passion, you want to have great atmosphere, and you want to be popular enough. And guess what, if you are creating a great product you will have more money and then you would be able to bring better players, you would also be able to give more money to teams from difficult markets, and I would prefer to give money to Lithuanian / ex-Yugoslavian team or even to Mancheter united BC than to throw it away to some club that had a few successful years but has no fan base no arena and would probably be crashed as soon as the current oligarch will start having business problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rayo1985 View Post
            Thank you Euroleague. This is totaly extraordinary format to play between europeans best teams! Eurocup teams will be very hell strong (eg. Bayern, Loko, Darussafaka, Unicaja, Zvezda, Khimki) and overall competition will be much much interesting! Euroleague matches will be crem della crem without easy matches. This Euroleague format will include in the near future "ready" teams like FC Bayern, Khimki and in long term teams like ALBA, PSG maybe team from GB (Manchaster UTD) and team from Balkans like Crvena Zvezda or Partizan. It's time to look on Eurocup like on elite competition! Euroleague will become best league in the world I have no doubts!!!
            u are right but i guess 18 teams with less licence a and playoff at best on 5 ,would be perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Guaiqueries View Post
              30 useless meaningless games ?
              Why not 82 ?
              Yeah it is not like 90% of the first round today (10 games) and big portion of the second round (16 games) are totally useless already.

Permanent franchise? Like in the NBA ? The league that managed to lose a few games vs teams whose star was way behind their 12th man ?
              You right there is no real value to permanent franchise.
              Because every time Panathinaikos / Olympiacos / Maccabi / Real Madrid / Barcelona / Fener loose a playoff series because some fluke we would prefer not to see those teams in the Euroleague. Basketball is not football, 2-3 bad injuries in a bad time and you can loose a series to the 8 seeded teams and finish in the bottom half of the league.

And we sure don't need to learn anything from the NBA, the league in which the worst team bringing more fans per game than 95% of the teams in the Euroleague (even though there are much more games in the NBA), The league that has all the talent and rising in each year more than the Euroleague rise in the last half century, the league where a game between any of the top 20 teams is fascinating since even the 20th teams is so good that it has a realistic chance to win. We better not learn anything from them, lets continue Euroleague style it is much better to have a league that can't sell half of the tickets to its main event of the year.

And I guess the NBA teams that lost to Euroleague teams, prepared really hard for those games.

Also, they could put a zone under the basket where teams can't defend so there are more dunks.
              I don't think that the rule is great, but who decided that having a small arch and fat ass that stands 20s of the time in the middle of the paint is necessarily better than having more open game with more place to operate and play ball? The rule just add more complexity to the defence.

And they could fine the teams that don't use the rosters you usually see on TV because kids who go to the circus are going to be disappointed.
              What a terrible idea, to have a league wide responsibility for the product it supply. NBA understands that if they want to continue with current situation in which every summer the US Baksetball garbage flying to Europe in exchange for the best players Europe can offer, this little kid need to have passion for the game! He is the client of the game, as much as the most craziest fan in the stands, and if he want to see his hero, and his hero is healthy he should see it.

And it is also good to demand teams to put their finest roster, since it is more fair to the other teams that competing in the league.

Comment

Nailed it. 4 round robin, a lot of exciting games, like Zalgiris - Milano, closed league, NBA-lite. Wow, sounds great!

I think there is a fierce competitor in CBA since it's their initial idea to be poor man's NBA with all the retardiness of the latter but almost none of the chic and PR successes, but Jordi's IMG Turkish Airlines Zalgirio-Dogus League (it seems like a great name) could at least compete with them mighty Pilipinos for the title of the second best NBA's parody (or second worst, doesn't matter). Like that retarded overseas flying circus ain't enough...

They only need Manchester United BC and Saint Petersburd Lions in. I hope that won't be a huge deal.

On a more serious note, I pray to God that it's a disinformation (directed at FIBA obviously) or that at the very least this dirty deal won't be finalized and put into reality. If my hopes would be in vain, then I won't watch this sham league, not even Final Fours. And I don't care if Khimki would be invited to join or not. The saddest reality that ir ruins domestic championships more than anything else.

Basketball for basketball fans, not for ULEB crooks! And, Jordi, you won't be reading it but still I have something to say, well, to quote sadly forgotten grindcore pioneers Righteous Pigs, 'I hope you die in a hotel fire!'

P.S. This very well could be the end of the baketball as we've known it. The plot sickens. And the curtain is about to fall.
                Take a dope like all russians athletes does and relax

Comment

When I said American basketball, I didn't mean NBA. It is just an utopia to believe European basketball teams will have the same amount of revenue with NBA teams under these circumstances. European players will never keep themselves away from having cross-continental adventure unless a big economic crisis occurs there or Kim Jong-Un fires one of his fancy nuclear bombs to the center of Washington. NBA teams have 30 A licences but is the system same with European basketball or should I call it Euroleague Company basketball? There are a lot of tones which make NBA more attractive. I don't believe that we can reach NBA's level but at least by applying some innovative rules, we can maximize the potential. Basketball is the second popular sport in the continent however the interest that it has been drawn towards it can't be compared with football. Just because these 11 capitalists, let sleeping dogs lie mentality clubs, we can't attract more people. I will just give one example. In Turkey, the fan base of Galatasaray and Beşiktaş is something like 45 million. That's a huge market. Instead of using this kind of huge fan base, every year you invite a team that doesn't have a fan base. Efes. It is just because financial concern of Jordi. Beşiktaş or Galatasaray can't promise him to spend 30 million Euro every year. But Efes can promise on this. Since Euroleague is a profit seeking company, automatically they don't want to lose this kind of treasure. When Efes gets fancy names, Euroleague is making the biggest impact on the market instead of the clubs. I also don't or can't understand some guys under this thread. A Polish guy is coming here and appears as the biggest defender of Jordi and Euroleague. ''Euroleague will be the best league in the world xD xD''. Maybe in your dreams uh? How many Polish team have gotten a chance here to represent Poland? Not just Poland. What about other countries? As far as Turkish teams go, I am okay with the number of Turkish teams in this competition. From 16 teams, most probably 3 of them will be Turkish teams. The number is okay but where is the justice? Fener and Efes will be here even if they will be eliminated in Quarter Finals in domestic league. So, if you are okay with this kind of consequence then I have no words for you guys who think these news ''sound better''. I don't think these news will make good impact on competitiveness between teams. If teams want to save the future of European basketball, some of them should seriously think the FIBA's offer. Euroleague seeks money but theoretically FIBA doesn't ask. Some kind of organization like Champions League should be created.

11 A licences team means same ''customer base''. All those fans of 11 teams are the loyal obedient customer of Jordi. When FIBA takes the helm, we will have a chance to expand the base. From Jordi's side, it is a safe investment. He and his customers' know that even if they will fail this year, they will still be here regardless of their shameful unsuccessful actions from last year. Why do I have to watch a team who is spending 30 million Euro every year and even can't reach Top 8 most of the times? And should everyone be happy with the huge gap between Euroleague teams's budget? CSKA and Fenerbahçe Ülker are simply ruling the transfer market by getting whoever they want. A salary cap should be here. Anyway, since there are a lot of Euroleague clappers, those 11 teams will continue to ridicule us.

Btw, why Euroleague teams care how much they will take in their pockets? They are making loss one way or another. Why teams are begging for 2 million Euro where each of them spend at least 7 or 8 million Euro?
                  Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
                  Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

ABA, German and French champion will play this new euroleague, probably.

Comment

This format are great! The only thing I would like to change is the anthem that should go back to the anthem from the previous euroleague edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvXY5-Sl6Q

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
                        Btw, why Euroleague teams care how much they will take in their pockets? They are making loss one way or another. Why teams are begging for 2 million Euro where each of them spend at least 7 or 8 million Euro?
                        Actually, it's the difference between constantly losing money and having marginal profit, at least for Olympiacos and I'm sure a few other teams too.

11 A licenses are too many but even FIBA's offer gives out 8 of them (to the same teams excluding Armani, Kutxa and Zalgiris).

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
                          I will just give one example. In Turkey, the fan base of Galatasaray and Beşiktaş is something like 45 million. That's a huge market. Instead of using this kind of huge fan base, every year you invite a team that doesn't have a fan base. Efes. It is just because financial concern of Jordi. Beşiktaş or Galatasaray can't promise him to spend 30 million Euro every year. But Efes can promise on this. Since Euroleague is a profit seeking company, automatically they don't want to lose this kind of treasure. When Efes gets fancy names, Euroleague is making the biggest impact on the market instead of the clubs. I also don't or can't understand some guys under this thread. A Polish guy is coming here and appears as the biggest defender of Jordi and Euroleague. ''Euroleague will be the best league in the world xD xD''. Maybe in your dreams uh? How many Polish team have gotten a chance here to represent Poland? Not just Poland. What about other countries?
                          It seems you're suggesting an A license simply for having fans because it would suit the team you support.
                          And Zielona Gora represents Poland's basketball but can't make it past the regular season. Football is more popular in Poland but they haven't had a team in the Champions League for years because their coefficient isn't high enough.

We don't need to make sure Poland has one team and Slovenia has one team and every other country too. It should be the other way around, it shouldn't be a certainty that France gets a team(let alone two!) when they are consistently among the worst.

Comment

This move was expected.
                            The most rational move for Bertomeu in order to improve his chances fighting Fiba was going towards a 16 teams league. 16 most profitable ones, however, anyone that got himself through the "economics 101" course (in US considered s the starting lesson of economics) can realise that with 11-12 A licenced teams you're not really able to constantly explore the market searching the potential next "big spender" as Slice me nice pointed out on Gala and Besiktas case and that model just never will be the optimal as far as growth is concerned. Be it financial or sportive growth that is.

Fiba obviously tried to lure these top10-11 teams by giving them an A licence as well, however the likely outcome by now should be an attempt of a champions league model, they can't be that stupid to lure themselves into trying to buy some of those top teams into the competition.
                            If Fiba goes hard core and manages to get the leagues (The actual ULEB) on their side, Bertomeu's vision is done, nothing changed there.

Clubs aren't unanimous in all of this, they just don't want to get caught betting on the future looser in this conflict as it might cost them dearly. However as soon as Bertomeu loses just 2-3 clubs out of his precious 11, his financial scheme likely collapses. Just as in 2000, the money one or the other side promises is relatively irrelevant, the winner will likely promise more than he can pay, just in order to kick the oponent out of the market.

@Oly_fan: Zielona gora isn't exactly all that competitive, however pay in mind that the Polish league as a whole has made a noticable step forward in the last decade, just look at their NT for example. Various teams competing in euroleague played a role there. It might take time for them to be more competitive, however achieving that with an organic growth of basketball through the country as a whole compared to one team spending millions of € they can't afford to stay competitive, is the real dilema that should be set here.
                            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
                              It seems you're suggesting an A license simply for having fans because it would suit the team you support.
                              And Zielona Gora represents Poland's basketball but can't make it past the regular season. Football is more popular in Poland but they haven't had a team in the Champions League for years because their coefficient isn't high enough.

We don't need to make sure Poland has one team and Slovenia has one team and every other country too. It should be the other way around, it shouldn't be a certainty that France gets a team(let alone two!) when they are consistently among the worst.
                              Basketball is for fun. Logically, in this kind of competition there should be the variety and polyphony among basketball fans. I do want to see more teams with huge fan base of course. Every year 20 million Beşiktaş fans become distanced towards basketball. Do you know what will happen if you pull these fans into the basketball? Basketball grows. Maybe in short term, this growth doesn't transmit as revenue to clubs but in long term, since the fan base is expanded, the clubs will generate more revenue from TV rights let's say the first thing that spring to my mind. I just gave the example of Beşiktaş but I can tell you any other 10 teams with huge fan base. Beside the fan base, representation of countries makes sense too. Let's imagine Zalgiris is out of top tier European competition for a while. You simply lose the attraction from Lithuania if something like that happens. I also see this move as the threat in front of basketball countries. Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia and even Lithuania won't have a chance to send second team to this competition. That's just pathetic. That's pure monopoly. Only Turkish, Greek, Russian, Spanish and Italian team or teams are here and every year we will see the same story here. 100th game between Fenerbahçe Ãœlker and Barcelona in five years period. How exciting WOW!

I won't tell anything about football since I don't have much knowledge on it but popular sport doesn't mean that the country is successful at it that we are on the same line. Even though Poland doesn't see basketball as the popular sport, they still have an average team in basketball when they are not represented bu any team in football. That can be called as success. So no need to break the success line of a country by decreasing the number of teams.
                              Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
                              Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                                @Oly_fan: Zielona gora isn't exactly all that competitive, however pay in mind that the Polish league as a whole has made a noticable step forward in the last decade, just look at their NT for example. Various teams competing in euroleague played a role there. It might take time for them to be more competitive, however achieving that with an organic growth of basketball through the country as a whole compared to one team spending millions of € they can't afford to stay competitive, is the real dilema that should be set here.
                                So has Finland or the Netherlands. Why don't they get a spot? FYROM was far more successful, why didn't they get one?

I don't think a european league's purpose is to assist in the organic growth of national basketball. This is the primarily the job of national federations and local clubs.
                                A european league's purpose is to bring together the best teams in Europe in a competitive tournament. The regural season as it is now is hardly competitive (and I'm not going by this season only, since we've had a few surprise results). It was a common theme to have teams casually stroll in a 10-0 run. What this does is essentially postpone the start of the season to January.

Moving to 16 teams means there are one or two teams that we might miss but I don't think anyone will feel sorry for not seing Strasbourg or Sassari.
                                THe 11 teams that get an A license have a constant presence in the top 16 anyway so no one can say they're robbing someone else of their spot.
                                Last edited by Oly_fan; 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information