Lithuanian NT 2016 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post

PS: Damn, Grigonis' has broken finger, but obviously he's about to play anyway. That's the spirit! Well if he could score with broken finger against Spain, he should be allright. He might miss next preparation games though...
    He will not practise for one week with the team
    so definitely misses vs Australia game and Argentina.. And then if the healing process is going good he will come back to practise but Kazlauskas will definitely cut his minutes big time for the rest of the friendlies.. Sounds like Grigonis will not be fully ready for Rio
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

Jess, Milano has some perverted traditions, any time I watch the team I get the same impression. Maciulis is what he is, he can't play at the level he did last Eurobasket all the time. Bricks and turnovers would come along with trying to do too much. But he can play tough and smart defence any time. Lithuania simply doesn't have that much offence (at the moment) as Real (though this summer I feel situation is much better) so Mačiulis role is different. This year with broader backourt rotation, peaking Kuzminskas, more aggressive Kalnietis - Maciulis' offensive role might reduce. Last summer he really was pushing things, but he happened to be on the top shape and things worked out for him, some crazy shots went in as well. I expect Maciulis to average 8-10ppg in Olympics while he vas averaging 14 last summer.
      So ,we agree?
      Anyways , I was thinking alongside the line as in -what if ...what if Maciulis was to be a scorer ,only attack minded player ?
      Imagine him playing relentlessly one on one near the basket ,driving and penetrating defense time and time again and shooting threes when he can't be bothered to do so. I know it seems unlikely ,but same way unlikely was him scoring 34 points against Georgia. Who knew he as capable of such feat . Probably not even him . But all of this is just my fantasy .
      And what is not my fantasy is the fact of how quickly Mantas had to adjust in Milano. Where numbers matters. Them 3 three pointers in a row against Spain ? That is Milano for you. He was never like that before. Good on him to survive in that shithole.
      And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Damn, Grigonis' has broken finger, but obviously he's about to play anyway. That's the spirit! Well if he could score with broken finger against Spain, he should be allright. He might miss next preparation games though...
        Not so sure it is all about his spirit though ...Especially when it was announced that he has just signed with Tenerife .
        Hiding injury upon signing a contract ? Not fair . And now I am siding with Sabonis Arvydas ,when he said that Milaknis had made biggest mistake in his life by leaving NT early . I felt it was a silly thing to say. I felt that his comment was driven by pettiness and being butt hurt. Milaknis left NT team camp ? How come ? How he dares ?
        I am not going to lie to you people - i sided with Milaknis . Boy ,when you are 30 ,you do not want to be that person who is just in case .
        I guess ,he regrets his decision now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modis View Post
          He will not practise for one week with the team
          (
          What ?
          Broken finger is nothing to stop him from training.
          If anything , he will be working out as much as anyone and plus extra on his weak hand.

Comment

• Didn't take too long to find out NT overrating articles on our basketball media. "Lithuania might have the best rotation since 2003" F*** idiot, I'm not exaggerating. Lithuania doesn't have a single solid basketball portal.

Sakote, nė velnio? Nebūkite tokie užtikrinti, nes ši vasara galimai yra pats tinkamiausias metas patikėti, jog Lietuvos vyrų krepšinio rinktinė į olimpines žaidynes vyksta ne tik dalyvauti, bet ir nugalėti. Iškovoję septynias pergales iš tiek pat galimų kontrolinėse rungtynėse Europoje, lietuviai šeštadienį Pietų Amerikoje nusileido su tikslu parsigabenti aukso medalius.
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Didn't take too long to find out NT overrating articles on our basketball media. "Lithuania might have the best rotation since 2003" F*** idiot, I'm not exaggerating. Lithuania doesn't have a single solid basketball portal.

https://www.basketnews.lt/news-99929...-laimesim.html
              Now we know the real face of G&B On a serious note, nothing new, been writing for years how amateurish our bball sites are... no pros working here, no some interesting analysis, even discussions died long ago cause of such stupid articles and then idiots fighting in comments, including even site owners

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                Now we know the real face of G&B On a serious note, nothing new, been writing for years how amateurish our bball sites are... no pros working here, no some interesting analysis, even discussions died long ago cause of such stupid articles and then idiots fighting in comments, including even site owners
                If you got some connections, let's get Maccabeo a gig to write for a portal in Lith He would be priceless

Comment

• Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                  If you got some connections, let's get Maccabeo a gig to write for a portal in Lith He would be priceless
                  Knowing how our sites are stealing info (rumours/signings) from here and writes "our sources/our reporter from Greece/Serbia/Italy/Israel or etc", wouldn't be really surprised that Maccabeo already wrote atleast few articles on Lith sites about Ohayon, but he still doesn't know it himself

Comment

I actually agree that JV is second best center. Valanciunas is a borderline franchise player for the Raptors which is among 4-6 best teams in the NBA right now. And he still getting better. Ilgauskas never had that impact for strong playoffs team - he was a solid peace, but surely not as important as JV for the Raptors. One thing in favour of JV - his NBA rebounding rate is better Sabonis and Ilgauskas had. Valanciunas barely will succeed more than Sabonis, because he is not even close in terms of IQ. Sabonis played with his head first of all, doing little smart things, like little taps, smart screens, perfect positioning at both ends, super quick first passes and ability to facilitate from any spot of the court, three point shooting which to be honest played a big role in his career, better defender. JV at the end of the career will be close though, because he has his own advantages - like better motor, quicker, power game which Sabonis avoided a little bit, more straight forward scoring insticts and ability to find most simple and easiest way to score, more funtamental post game, way better pick and roll player, slightly better rebounder and notably better offensive rebounder.
                    I doubt you ever seen Sabonis young play,what you wrote is old veteran Sabonis...In Fibas games Arvydas was standing wall inside with shooting,passing and IQ .Impossible to match for any big these days.I had never seen anything like that or after : with him just standing inside he was huge factor and game changer...With him your team always had a chance to win,because he tottaly controlled the game inside.I strongly disagree that Valanciunas is better rebounder,when Sabonis was his age and could run and jump,not only stand like in his midle 30s he was grabbing easily 15 rebounds per game.Sabonis avoided power game? yeah when he faced young Shaq in his 30s...but in fiba games everybody was falling after contact with him...Put young Shaq in front of Valanciunas now,Jonas will look like barberque chicken lieying on the ground,like Sabonis in his 30s or like entire world in Shaqs 20s Sabonis till 23 was fast center,doubt that slower than Valanciunas today.And surely Sabonis was way better defender and rim protector,everybody was scared of him in fiba inside and shoot baloons all game long...

If needed to take to built my team for next 15 years and could choose take 20 years old Sabonis or 20 yearls old Valanciunas,without even thinking i take Sabonis.I take young Sabonis over Pau Gasol too or any other european center.Only couple american centers was better than Sabonis in his prime.

All those talks that Valanciunas is close to match Sabonis career achieviements now at 24 years old are such nonsenses from mad max.

Btw on the same note i agree that 24 years old Valanciunas is top3 european center (with Gasol brothers) and surely top 10 worlds centers now.Raptors doing good job with him.

But....Sabonis at age of 21 in 1985 already was best european center by big margin and top5 worlds centers...
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 07-24-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• On national team 2016 Seibutis and Maciulis must step their games up starting from now,we will need them badly in Olympics when all the lights will turn on and younger fellows will show inexperience and nerviness .Seibutis showed some life in last game,but overall his speed and energetic impulse in not same as used to be.Those 2 boys were energetic boosts that usually wakens up our team when things wents badly.We need both of them on the right form in Olympics 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                        I doubt you ever seen Sabonis young play,what you wrote is old veteran Sabonis...In Fibas games Arvydas was standing wall inside with shooting,passing and IQ .Impossible to match for any big these days.I had never seen anything like that or after : with him just standing inside he was huge factor and game changer...With him your team always had a chance to win,because he tottaly controlled the game inside.I strongly disagree that Valanciunas is better rebounder,when Sabonis was his age and could run and jump,not only stand like in his midle 30s he was grabbing easily 15 rebounds per game.Sabonis avoided power game? yeah when he faced young Shaq in his 30s...but in fiba games everybody was falling after contact with him...Put young Shaq in front of Valanciunas now,Jonas will look like barberque chicken lieying on the ground,like Sabonis in his 30s or like entire world in Shaqs 20s Sabonis till 23 was fast center,doubt that slower than Valanciunas today.And surely Sabonis was way better defender and rim protector,everybody was scared of him in fiba inside and shoot baloons all game long...

If needed to take to built my team for next 15 years and could choose take 20 years old Sabonis or 20 yearls old Valanciunas,without even thinking i take Sabonis.I take young Sabonis over Pau Gasol too or any other european center.Only couple american centers was better than Sabonis in his prime.

All those talks that Valanciunas is close to match Sabonis career achieviements now at 24 years old are such nonsenses from mad max.

Btw on the same note i agree that 24 years old Valanciunas is top3 european center (with Gasol brothers) and surely top 10 worlds centers now.Raptors doing good job with him.

But....Sabonis at age of 21 in 1985 already was best european center by big margin and top5 worlds centers...
                        I don't think Sabonis was ever a top 5 world center. In 1985 that you mentioned Kareem, Moses, Parish, Olajuwon and Ewing are all ahead of him. Don't get me wrong he was as skilled or more than anyone. But that doesn't equate to actual performance. He was injury prone and never had the conditioning to be considered with the all time worlds best. He broke down in his career and then in a 4 year period from '88-'92 ballooned up and was unrecognizable. He was still in his 20's yet moved like a guy in his mid 30's. And since this all occurred in a workload about half of what the Nba is it can very easily be said that he probably wouldn't have been able to flourish with the extra games. This has to count against him.
                        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
                          I don't think Sabonis was ever a top 5 world center. In 1985 that you mentioned Kareem, Moses, Parish, Olajuwon and Ewing are all ahead of him. Don't get me wrong he was as skilled or more than anyone. But that doesn't equate to actual performance. He was injury prone and never had the conditioning to be considered with the all time worlds best. He broke down in his career and then in a 4 year period from '88-'92 ballooned up and was unrecognizable. He was still in his 20's yet moved like a guy in his mid 30's. And since this all occurred in a workload about half of what the Nba is it can very easily be said that he probably wouldn't have been able to flourish with the extra games. This has to count against him.
                          Also to be frank, Divac at the same time had a more successful professional career, especially in NBA. He played for a number of years on a high level. I agree that at one point Sabonis was the best European center (his early years mostly), but comparing him to NBA centers the story goes out of the window. In the mid 80s, Jabbar was still better than him, way better. Same goes with Moses Malone, Olajuwon, Ewing, Robert Parish as well. That is in mid and late 80's. As soon as we, get closer to 90s then new guys come in that easily blow him away on his level of performance. Another thing that goes down on Sabonis is the fact that outside of his brief playoff performance in his rookie year, he didn't show up in the playoffs that much and was visibly a much worse player there compared to regular season and his conditioning didn't hold up.

I do wonder what kind of careers both him and Vlade would've had if they had dedicated to conditioning and being in the best possible shape all of their careers. They were both uniquely skilled for big men, with unmatched vision and ability to play with the ball face up to the basket. I guess, we will never know that. Until a new prodigy rises, Pau Gasol is the best European center of all time.

Comment

• It's impossible to measure the talent. We talk about Sabas injuries that ruined his career, before it he already managed to win two Euroscars, bein' 19 and 20yo. But what's also important, rarely we remember in what kind of conditions he used to practise and live to reach that. Some our USA or Europeans friends probably doesn't even imagine in what kind of conditions we were living... I won't talk about general life, when you couldn't buy simple bread everytime you want, but imagine what kind conditions players had - no medicine, trainers, technologies, no serious practises - nothing. I can only imagine what could've been happened if just like Hakeem at 16yo, Sabas also would've been able to move away from that shitty Soviet system to USA... or even atleast in 1985 when he was first time drafted by Atlanta...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              It's impossible to measure the talent. We talk about Sabas injuries that ruined his career, before it he already managed to win two Euroscars, bein' 19 and 20yo. But what's also important, rarely we remember in what kind of conditions he used to practise and live to reach that. Some our USA or Europeans friends probably doesn't even imagine in what kind of conditions we were living... I won't talk about general life, when you couldn't buy simple bread everytime you want, but imagine what kind conditions players had - no medicine, trainers, technologies, no serious practises - nothing. I can only imagine what could've been happened if just like Hakeem at 16yo, Sabas also would've been able to move away from that shitty Soviet system to USA... or even atleast in 1985 when he was first time drafted by Atlanta...
                              I agree if he was integrated in his teens in the United States maybe he could have been a top 5 center in basketball history.
                              But that's just a projection and you can't rank him with other players who actually accomplished their feats. He is judged by his actual performance and accomplishments. There are plenty of players who due to a variety of factors never reached their potential but that's just the way it went. Many say that Earl the goat Manigault was the greatest basketball player that ever lived, but we will never know and he can't get credit for unrealized potential.
                              Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
                                I agree if he was integrated in his teens in the United States maybe he could have been a top 5 center in basketball history.
                                But that's just a projection and you can't rank him with other players who actually accomplished their feats. He is judged by his actual performance and accomplishments. There are plenty of players who due to a variety of factors never reached their potential but that's just the way it went. Many say that Earl the goat Manigault was the greatest basketball player that ever lived, but we will never know and he can't get credit for unrealized potential.
                                Yeah, that's true. I'm just talking about talent and right conditions. More like dreaming In reality, I agree with lot of things my fellow-countryman Shawshank wrote about Arvydas, but top5 center in the world... I'd go with you and CoachZ here. He could've been, maybe even was goin' to that direction, maybe, but never was IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information