Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 780

Thread: Lithuanian NT 2016 Olympics

  1. #21
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    782
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    We will see how he performs for Zalgiris this season..His defence looks really good. Just needs to work on his shooting, and take more responsibility.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  2. #22

    Default

    How about Milaknis? The guy is continuing to prove he's a real deal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qAFViHTdB8

    Jasaitis continues to play well.

    And Grigonis continues to be really solid in ACB. Do you think he'll get invitation this year? Highly unlikely though it would be nice just to get feet wet in the camp already before seriously competing for the spot in 2017.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  3. #23
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    How about Milaknis? The guy is continuing to prove he's a real deal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qAFViHTdB8

    Jasaitis continues to play well.

    And Grigonis continues to be really solid in ACB. Do you think he'll get invitation this year? Highly unlikely though it would be nice just to get feet wet in the camp already before seriously competing for the spot in 2017.
    I hope he does get invited just to see what he is like. I dont think I have ever seen him play.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    1,845
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    To Straight forward

    Still Jankunas need to proove something after this performances on the road in euroleague or eurobasket 2015 ? Jankunas right now is on the peak of the powers ,when he still has all his abilities and very valuable experience.Very smart,solid,tough nose PF. He is lock for our Olympic 2016 team.Never seen Jankunas playing so smart and good in entire his career (on both ends of the floor).

    Kuzminskas and Jankunas both had briliant starts of new season.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-30-2015 at 11:25 AM.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    To Straight forward

    Still Jankunas need to proove something after this performances on the road in euroleague or eurobasket 2015 ? Jankunas right now is on the peak of the powers ,when he still has all his abilities and very valuable experience.Very smart,solid,tough nose PF. 100 % national team player in Olympics 2016 doesnt matter who comes to the camp.He is lock for our Olympic 2016 team.Never seen Jankunas playing so smart and good in entire his career (on both ends of the floor).

    Kuzminskas and Jankunas both had briliant starts of new season.
    Kuzminskas so far is perfect (we'll see tonight what he'll bring) and Jankunas very solid. He's not perfect because he had a crappy game against Lokomotiv and shoots threes only 16,7%. But yeah he's probably playing his best basketball. Jankunas will surely make a team if healthy. There's a good chance D-MO won't be in Olympics, Kleiza might not be there as well. However, in the best case scenario I would want exactly those 2 to fill 4 position in the first place. No idea if Kleiza still can be a good player though, he's doing his rehab and that leaves hope alive. Ready to go Kleiza coming of the bench and giving offensive boost would still be huge for Lithuania.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  6. #26

    Default

    BTW, this guy still can be deadly in transition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0_PmqmSKA

    I expect Kalnietis to regain his physical and technical tools completely and to be better player in Olympics. He specially needs to regain his optimal physical condition, he can be one step more athletic than he currently is. The most importantly not to overuse him and that's what Krapikas does right now exactly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  7. #27
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    BTW, this guy still can be deadly in transition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0_PmqmSKA

    I expect Kalnietis to regain his physical and technical tools completely and to be better player in Olympics. He specially needs to regain his optimal physical condition, he can be one step more athletic than he currently is. The most importantly not to overuse him and that's what Krapikas does right now exactly.
    I don't see any problem here, everything is fine with Kalnietis. He is not some oldie, so these 25-30mins in the beginning of the season won't harm him and so far he doesn't show any signs that it does. Moreover he is main PG, coming into new team after missing whole preparations phase, so naturally he needs more time on court and afterall we don't have any good substitution for him. When Zalgiris will have easier games, no one will force him to play too long. Most likely it'll happen already in next 3 LKL games vs Pasvalys, Nevezis and Lietkabelis. It should also be a chance for Lekavicius finally to wake up


  8. #28
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    1,845
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    So far dissapoints Pocius a lot atleast me...He was preparing for a new season entire summer (he said that himself),but all those that played for national team looks way better.Pocius lost basicaly all this athletism of 2010.He looks slow and dont show that explosiveness anymore.Hopefully he will find his form,because otherwise again Kalnietis and Seibutis will have to play30+ min in Olympics...Kalnietis dunk againts turkish teams,showed slowly, but he is coming back to better form.As i said before eurobasket it will take him atleast year to comeback to prevous form,after not playing more than a year.So i wont put to many hopes on kleiza as 2016 Olympics goes,when you are not playing basketball for so long,1-2 months traning wont help to get to prevouss form...You will lose feel for the game when you are not playing seriuos basketbal.

    If Motiejunas wont play because of new contract/injury... kleiza very questionable in many aspects...Darjus will be 36 next summer.Again will be same problems in PG and PF positions. God protect Kalnietis and Jankunas health

  9. #29
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    So far dissapoints Pocius a lot atleast me...He was preparing for a new season entire summer (he said that himself),but all those that played for national team looks way better.Pocius lost basicaly all this athletism of 2010.He looks slow and dont show that explosiveness anymore.Hopefully he will find his form,because otherwise again Kalnietis and Seibutis will have to play30+ min in Olympics...Kalnietis dunk againts turkish teams,showed slowly, but he is coming back to better form.As i said before eurobasket it will take him atleast year to comeback to prevous form,after not playing more than a year.So i wont put to many hopes on kleiza as 2016 Olympics goes,when you are not playing basketball for so long,1-2 months traning wont help to get to prevouss form...You will lose feel for the game when you are not playing seriuos basketbal.
    IMO it's not fair, atleast so far, to compare Kleiza and Kalnietis situations. First of all it's different injuries - Kalnietis with shoulder injury of shooting hand = big problem not only for his shooting abilities, but he lost his agressiviness at offense (not explosiviness), was (and still is) tryin' to avoid contact. Kleiza's injury is more serious, cause there's no known deadline when he'll be ok, might be month, might be end of career, but it'll be easier for player like Kleiza to comeback to playin' shape when healthy. He won't lose his shooting touch, which is important for him, he will lose speed, quickness, part of explosiviness, but he can live with that, cause he was never speedy/quick player.
    Another thing - both are having very different roles in NT, one is brains of it, so with Kalnietis in poor shape all the teamplay is suffering, meanwhile Kleiza isn't that crucial anymore, he won't show up - there'll be other players that can step up.
    Also Kleiza missed only few months so far, not entire year like Kalnas, so he still has lot of time to be in quite good shape till summer, even if he will play only since some March. Of course if he'll decide to play for NT at all. So let's wait a bit.

    On a good note. Pocius and Lekavicius today showed some signs of bein' alive. Of course Pasvalys is not some big team, but you must start from smth I guess For Pocius it was all these small injuries, which damaged his start of the season, he was in quite good shape in preps, but when real games started all that problems began. Lekavicius problems was in his head, heared that coach was asking him to take few days off, to relax a bit, clear his mind after all busy summer, tough start of the season, but he refused, kept practising, blamed himself, was nervous. Hope with this game he will shake it all off


  10. #30

    Default

    I could argue that peaking Kleiza (playing for Nuggets) was pretty quick even for 3 position in NBA, but it's not all that important. Kleiza still can shoot threes and that's very important because most of our 4 are inconsistent 3 point shooters (except D-MO hopefully who shot 37% last season and hopefully will keep it up). Jankunas, Kuzminskas, Sabonis are simply not good 3 point shooters, they are average. Kleiza shot 35% last season and that's decent number and he had tournaments where he was shooting over 40% from downtown. So Kazlauskas would have a very solid option when he would want to stretch the flour which is a great fir for either JV or D-Mo as both nearly unstoppable in the paint. We all remember how Jankunas was missing those open threes in the final against Spain. That's where reality ticket appears - we need players who just makes those shots. Spain had those and Lithuania lacked such players as D-MO and Kleiza who could make things done. Defensively Kleiza might not be good, but playing with Spain, France, not to mention USA, you won't win only with defence, you have to compete offensively as well. We needed 34 points ffromMačiulis to pass Georgia at the end of the day. So if we'll have both JV and D-MO, I would take even current Kleiza just for his ability to stretch the floor.

    As for guard rotation, It's very realistic Jasaitis might face some time at 2 if he finally can be a scoring player again. Let's face it, 100% ready Jasaitis can compete with both Pocius and Milaknis. But he needs to bring both offence and defence just as he used to do in 2006-2012.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  11. #31
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post

    As for guard rotation, It's very realistic Jasaitis might face some time at 2 if he finally can be a scoring player again. Let's face it, 100% ready Jasaitis can compete with both Pocius and Milaknis. But he needs to bring both offence and defence just as he used to do in 2006-2012.
    100% ready Jasaitis from 2006-2012 would be a lock in NT. Anyway not sure how much of that old himself Jasaitis still has in him. Offensivelly he seems like brough his confidence and shooting touch back, but in quite mediocre team and no idea how good he is defensivelly nowadays. But if he still has it, addition of Jasaitis instead of Gailius would be quite an imporvement in SF/SG. I'd really like guards rotation with Kalnietis, Seibutis (SG/PG), Pocius, Milaknis, Jasaitis (SF/SG), if all of them will be healthy and ready of course. There's enough skills in defense, offense, slashers/shooters, and more than enough experience to handle psichologically such tournament like Olympics


  12. #32
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    1,845
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    100% ready Jasaitis from 2006-2012 would be a lock in NT. Anyway not sure how much of that old himself Jasaitis still has in him. Offensivelly he seems like brough his confidence and shooting touch back, but in quite mediocre team and no idea how good he is defensivelly nowadays. But if he still has it, addition of Jasaitis instead of Gailius would be quite an imporvement in SF/SG. I'd really like guards rotation with Kalnietis, Seibutis (SG/PG), Pocius, Milaknis, Jasaitis (SF/SG), if all of them will be healthy and ready of course. There's enough skills in defense, offense, slashers/shooters, and more than enough experience to handle psichologically such tournament like Olympics
    Yeah this guard lineup would be upgrade comparing it to 2015 team .And the end of the day tournaments showed that those lkl level Pointguards is not doing any impact on final team results.When Olympics starts kalnietis and seibutis will have to do playmaking. Kalnietis-Seibutis-Pocius-Milaknis most likely will be in a team so left 5 th guard position ,do we need real pointguard (when kalnietis is playing 30min+) or take better level other positions player? So far coaches always were taken real 2nd PG that was not level is required for highest basketball... and which of them made real impact in last 5 tournaments? Exactly.Kazlauskas will have to decide,because if Jasaitis IN,we will have to say "no" to 2nd PG,because Sf position is full with Maciulis and Kuzminskas.

    Hopefully Pocius and Lekavicius game versus pasvalys wasnt a fluke.Because right now krapikas heavily relys on Kalnietis,Seibutis,Hanlan in euroleague.

  13. #33
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Yeah this guard lineup would be upgrade comparing it to 2015 team .And the end of the day tournaments showed that those lkl level Pointguards is not doing any impact on final team results.When Olympics starts kalnietis and seibutis will have to do playmaking. Kalnietis-Seibutis-Pocius-Milaknis most likely will be in a team so left 5 th guard position ,do we need real pointguard (when kalnietis is playing 30min+) or take better level other positions player? So far coaches always were taken real 2nd PG that was not level is required for highest basketball... and which of them made real impact in last 5 tournaments? Exactly.Kazlauskas will have to decide,because if Jasaitis IN,we will have to say "no" to 2nd PG,because Sf position is full with Maciulis and Kuzminskas.
    I also don't see a point in taking 2nd PG to Olympics, if we don't have one, who really deserves to be there, who could handle huge pressure. It'd be just another tourist, who wouldn't get a chance to play, unless we would lead comfortabily, but how many games will be like this? Most likely 0-1. So it's better to strenghten other positions or to take a player like Javtokas, who even without stepping on court, would be usefull in lockeroom, like he was this year with helping to handle the pressure after tough start.
    Just to pass the halfcourt line and give the ball away to teammate (or not) like its usually done by our back-up PGs is a job which could be done by any other backcourt player


  14. #34
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I also don't see a point in taking 2nd PG to Olympics, if we don't have one, who really deserves to be there, who could handle huge pressure. It'd be just another tourist, who wouldn't get a chance to play, unless we would lead comfortabily, but how many games will be like this? Most likely 0-1. So it's better to strenghten other positions or to take a player like Javtokas, who even without stepping on court, would be usefull in lockeroom, like he was this year with helping to handle the pressure after tough start.
    Just to pass the halfcourt line and give the ball away to teammate (or not) like its usually done by our back-up PGs is a job which could be done by any other backcourt player
    I strongly dissagree giving a free ticket to Javtokas, just because he is a a great lockerroom guy. These players are men, not kids, they dont need babysitter. I am sure that other players like Jankunas and Kalnietis already could replace him as emotional leaders.

    I would use that spot for a 2nd PG instead. God forbid if something would happen to Kalnietis. Seibutis and Pocius would be our PG's? Ok, I can live with Seibutis, but not Pocius.

  15. #35
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    I strongly dissagree giving a free ticket to Javtokas, just because he is a a great lockerroom guy. These players are men, not kids, they dont need babysitter. I am sure that other players like Jankunas and Kalnietis already could replace him as emotional leaders.
    Yeah, we saw how they didn't need a "babysitter" in group phase this year, how they almost screwed up, couldn't handle the pressure and were emotionally/psychologically dead. Luckily we had one, who helped our team big time, managed to get the team together. Don't underestimate psychological factor in tournaments of such caliber. Coaches always wants to have experienced players in teams, which can help to deal with that, moreover Javtokas is not totally washed-up. Tho, I'm not sayin' that only this should guarantee him a place in NT, but if i had to choose between him or other benchwarmer, I'd pick Javtokas anytime

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    I would use that spot for a 2nd PG instead. God forbid if something would happen to Kalnietis. Seibutis and Pocius would be our PG's? Ok, I can live with Seibutis, but not Pocius.
    Thinking this way, we can take 4 centers, what if JV will get injured... But atleast we have smth to choose from, while with PGs the thing is - there's no 2nd PG who could contribute on such stage as Olympics. All these Lekavicius, Juskevicius, Vasiliauskas or whoever else can do he same thing that Seibutis/Pocius could do - cross the halfcourt line and give the ball away. None of them is capable of running NT's offense, with some we are left 4vs5 in offense overall, atleast it looks like that for now, maybe by May/June someone will be there, but now with Seibutis/Pocius you can atleast be sure that they won't come out on court with pants full of sh..t. Afterall we are talking here not about LKL, EL or even some World Cup. Personally I'd feel way more comfortable seein' experienced guard with ball than some rookie tryin' to be PG


  16. #36
    Senior Member Italian Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Jasaitis is playing very well in italian league,but our league iisn't high level like 10-15 years ago!

  17. #37

    Default

    I agree about the psychological factor. Look how exhausted Kazlauskas felt after the tournament (good news he's coming back after Holidays). Every year Lithuanian BB is becoming more and more popular and this year not only Olympic tickets were at stake, but I also felt the local fan base in Riga kinda took everything possible from players emotionally. You could feel the greatness of those loudly sung anthems, but also the huge pressure. Also local attention from media, interviews, advertisement making - that takes a hell out of you. I'm happy Olympics will be held in Rio at this point, only slightly worried how FIBA (and Brazil) will handle this in terms of refs and other details. Not to take anything from Javtokas, JV is really becoming a boss of the NT. I felt he's basically stepping up as vocal and mental leader in the team and this year he looks very confident in the Raptors. D-Mo even in 2014 showed some good signs of being a good team player, one of vocal leaders. Those 2 becoming monster players and they know it and they feel it and they will start handling all the mental upside of the team soon if not already, obviously with the help of Jankunas, Maciulis, Kalnietis and maybe some other veterans. Kleiza's presence here would be huge as well. The guy used to be the boss of the NT few years back. Showed a lot to JV while being together in Toronto.


    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    Jasaitis is playing very well in italian league,but our league iisn't high level like 10-15 years ago!
    It will be hard task to Kazlauskas, but if Jasaitis will be one of the best Italian league players, I think he should be in the camp. Also scouts will do their job.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 11-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  18. #38
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Yeah, we saw how they didn't need a "babysitter" in group phase this year, how they almost screwed up, couldn't handle the pressure and were emotionally/psychologically dead. Luckily we had one, who helped our team big time, managed to get the team together. Don't underestimate psychological factor in tournaments of such caliber. Coaches always wants to have experienced players in teams, which can help to deal with that, moreover Javtokas is not totally washed-up. Tho, I'm not sayin' that only this should guarantee him a place in NT, but if i had to choose between him or other benchwarmer, I'd pick Javtokas anytime
    Wow. Javtokas is our saviour. He was the one who solved all the problems we had and Mindozas is our insider, saw how Javtokas used his magic spells on this team!


    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Thinking this way, we can take 4 centers, what if JV will get injured... But atleast we have smth to choose from, while with PGs the thing is - there's no 2nd PG who could contribute on such stage as Olympics. All these Lekavicius, Juskevicius, Vasiliauskas or whoever else can do he same thing that Seibutis/Pocius could do - cross the halfcourt line and give the ball away. None of them is capable of running NT's offense, with some we are left 4vs5 in offense overall, atleast it looks like that for now, maybe by May/June someone will be there, but now with Seibutis/Pocius you can atleast be sure that they won't come out on court with pants full of sh..t. Afterall we are talking here not about LKL, EL or even some World Cup. Personally I'd feel way more comfortable seein' experienced guard with ball than some rookie tryin' to be PG
    Do you even think before you write? We dont need to take 4 centers... BECAUSE WE HAVE 2 GOOD ENOUGH...
    I dont get it how can you praise Pocius so much... If you think this ballstoper can run our offence , you have to be out of your mind. By the way reading your comments I would go with the later.

  19. #39
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I agree about the psychological factor. Look how exhausted Kazlauskas felt after the tournament (good news he's coming back after Holidays). Every year Lithuanian BB is becoming more and more popular and this year not only Olympic tickets were at stake, but I also felt the local fan base in Riga kinda took everything possible from players emotionally. You could feel the greatness of those loudly sung anthems, but also the huge pressure. Also local attention from media, interviews, advertisement making - that takes a hell out of you. I'm happy Olympics will be held in Rio at this point, only slightly worried how FIBA (and Brazil) will handle this in terms of refs and other details. Not to take anything from Javtokas, JV is really becoming a boss of the NT. I felt he's basically stepping up as vocal and mental leader in the team and this year he looks very confident in the Raptors. D-Mo even in 2014 showed some good signs of being a good team player, one of vocal leaders. Those 2 becoming monster players and they know it and they feel it and they will start handling all the mental upside of the team soon if not already, obviously with the help of Jankunas, Maciulis, Kalnietis and maybe some other veterans. Kleiza's presence here would be huge as well. The guy used to be the boss of the NT few years back. Showed a lot to JV while being together in Toronto.
    JV is likeable guy in NT, he has good sense of humour afaik, he is key guy on court, but so far he is not the leader in lockeroom, atleast when situation gets hot. He might be such in the future, but so far Javtokas is the man, followed by Jankunas, Kalnietis. Latter also is more of JV type of leader, when it comes to jokes part, having fun and etc.


  20. #40
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,155
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Wow. Javtokas is our saviour. He was the one who solved all the problems we had and Mindozas is our insider, saw how Javtokas used his magic spells on this team!
    It's always wiser to keep your mouth shut if you don't know smth, than try to act like a smartass. You failed at it

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Do you even think before you write? We dont need to take 4 centers... BECAUSE WE HAVE 2 GOOD ENOUGH...
    I dont get it how can you praise Pocius so much... If you think this ballstoper can run our offence , you have to be out of your mind. By the way reading your comments I would go with the later.
    Do you even understand what you read?


Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •