The upcomimg merger between oceania and asia, FIBA is destroying bball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The upcomimg merger between oceania and asia, FIBA is destroying bball

The next world cup is going to be held in 2019 with an increase to 32 teams.

7 teams from asia-pacific, 5 from africa, 7 from americas.

I dont think this is good for the world cup to have 5 teams from asia and africa each, 3 is the best number imo. Oceania should have 2 and stay by themselves.

Also americas is argentina, brazil, now emerging canada. With periodic good teams from PR, but not 7 teams! I think 5 is fair.

Now this is NOT the biggets problem, but the Olympics!

Fiba and the ioc is STILL insisting to have 12 teams in the olympics.

Now with the merger of oceania and asia you will have only ONE team (australia most likely) from asia-pacific. 1 from africa, 1 from americas, 1 from europe PLUS the first seven teams in the world cup in 2019 , plus the host in 2020!

Why SEVEN first teams from the world cup and not Six ?

Six first (mostly euros+usa)
    Host
    Africa
    Europe
    Americas
    Asia
    Oceania

Having SEVEN is like saying screw Asia we dont need you! Just bring the aussies from asia-pacific, which is a terrible terrible idea to merge the 2.

Just like having TOO many teams from one continent is bad, its WORSE than not having a single team from asia in the olympics !
    Last edited by sexylebanese69; 09-29-2015, 08:50 PM. Reason: null

Fiba has no say regarding the number of teams for the Olympics, they wanted to reach 16 teams in the past, but the olympic comitee disagreed. I do understand your point there in case Oceania and Asia get merged, Australia is in an advantage there.

I dissagree about 7 teams from Asia or America's is too much though.
    The same has been said about eurobasket being enlarged from 16 to 24 teams, yet those 8 new teams offered some great upsets out there.
    Macedonia 4th in 2011 and Finland 9th
    Ukraine 6th in 2013 and Belgium 9th
    Czech republic 7th in 2015
    ...and probably none of those teams would have made it to the eurobasket if it wasn't for that expansion.
    There was a lot of talk back than that by expanding the tournament the quality level will drop, now there is basicaly noone that would want it to switch back as those 17th-24th team are prooving to be competitive when given a chance. Fiba was encouraged by the succes of the enlarged eurobasket and I believe they rightfully expect the same outcome from enlarged world championship.

I believe Mexico, Venezuela, Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico deserve a chance there just as numerous Asian teams do, for the same reason.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

With the new qualifying format, who knows? The Aussies may not be able to get their NBA players for the mid-season qualifying games, but perhaps the other Asian countries without NBA players will be able to get their best players together.
      We The North

Comment

Expanding the tournament and giving teams to higher level of competition elevates their own skill. This isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sexylebanese69 View Post

Fiba and the ioc is STILL insisting to have 12 teams in the olympics.

Now with the merger of oceania and asia you will have only ONE team (australia most likely) from asia-pacific. 1 from africa, 1 from americas, 1 from europe PLUS the first seven teams in the world cup in 2019 , plus the host in 2020!

Why SEVEN first teams from the world cup and not Six ?

Six first (mostly euros+usa)
          Host
          Africa
          Europe
          Americas
          Asia
          Oceania

Having SEVEN is like saying screw Asia we dont need you! Just bring the aussies from asia-pacific, which is a terrible terrible idea to merge the 2.

Just like having TOO many teams from one continent is bad, its WORSE than not having a single team from asia in the olympics !
          olympics.jpg

Look at this

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]8168[/ATTACH]

Look at this
            That only means AUS and NZL cannot directly qualify for the Olympics at the same time, and practically only one Asian team can be in the Olympics, because there's no way an Asian team will ever win an Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Sure, more Asian slots have been opened with the Asia-Oceania merger, but more EU and Pan-American slots have been opened as well.

On the brighter side, it will expose more Asian teams to higher level of competition.
            Originally posted by gideon
            Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
              That only means AUS and NZL cannot directly qualify for the Olympics at the same time, and practically only one Asian team can be in the Olympics, because there's no way an Asian team will ever win an Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Sure, more Asian slots have been opened with the Asia-Oceania merger, but more EU and Pan-American slots have been opened as well.

On the brighter side, it will expose more Asian teams to higher level of competition.
              Well, I posted this cause OP thought that Asia won't have any place in Olympics at all, after merging with Oceania, but nothing will change in this direction, regarding any continent - just direct qualification will go throught World Cup instead of continental champs. I actually find this change quite dumb - selecting best continent teams in world wide event... The luck factor comes into play even more.
              Regarding number of places, if we are talking about 12 teams tournament, I'm sorry, but that's all that Asia can ask for (for now). Europe f.e. could complain more here

Comment

Well, I posted this cause OP thought that Asia won't have any place in Olympics at all, after merging with Oceania, but nothing will change in this direction, regarding any continent - just direct qualification will go throught World Cup instead of continental champs. I actually find this change quite dumb - selecting best continent teams in world wide event... The luck factor comes into play even more.
                Regarding number of places, if we are talking about 12 teams tournament, I'm sorry, but that's all that Asia can ask for (for now). Europe f.e. could complain more here
                It gives the unwanted risk of Asian teams playing only good enough to qualify for the Worlds (top 3 in each group in Round 2 + winner of the 7th place game among #4 teams will qualify, after all), then go BEAST MODE from there to try and get that lone Olympic spot via the WC.
                Last edited by judasmartel; 09-30-2015, 07:38 AM.
                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
                  It gives the unwanted risk of Asian teams playing only good enough to qualify for the Worlds (top 3 in each group in Round 2 + winner of the 7th place game among #4 teams will qualify, after all), then go BEAST MODE from there to try and get that lone Olympic via the WC.
                  Yes, but it's like that in any continent. FIBA tried hard to make World Cup more valuable and they did so

Comment

Bottom line,
                    something had to be done about the nonsense that was FIBA Oceania. For the longest time only two teams have regularly participated.

Comment

Look at this

Look at this

Look at this
                      Ok! I thought the first 7 finishers from the 2019 WC will directly qualify to the olympics and asia would be excluded (more or less) if it was asia-pacific qualifiers with australia. I thought it was the champions from 4 zones, africa, euro,americas,asia-pacific + host + 7 teams from WC, in the order they finish from each zone.

Now it makes more sense to include 5 teams from africa and asia each, and 7 from americas and 12 from europe in WC. So the world cup will serve as olympic qualifier. But the honor of winning your continental championship will only be every 4 years instead of every 2 years.

But the chart says every team plays 1 home game and 1 away game, it only takes 2 games to qualify to the world cup ? And the qualification span is 2 years! So they're trying to copy FIFA ?

Comment

Originally posted by sexylebanese69 View Post
                        Ok! I thought the first 7 finishers from the 2019 WC will directly qualify to the olympics and asia would be excluded (more or less) if it was asia-pacific qualifiers with australia. I thought it was the champions from 4 zones, africa, euro,americas,asia-pacific + host + 7 teams from WC, in the order they finish from each zone.

Now it makes more sense to include 5 teams from africa and asia each, and 7 from americas and 12 from europe in WC. So the world cup will serve as olympic qualifier. But the honor of winning your continental championship will only be every 4 years instead of every 2 years.

But the chart says every team plays 1 home game and 1 away game, it only takes 2 games to qualify to the world cup ? And the qualification span is 2 years! So they're trying to copy FIFA ?
                        Hm, don't know what chart did you look at, but in Asian World Cup qualifiers there will be two rounds, at first 4 groups of 4 (6 games for each team), then 2 groups of 6 (another 6 games)

Comment

Before this thread, I thought I had it figured out.

I am even more confused now.

I wish the NBA would come in and takeover international basketball, cut this FIBA bullshit. I put up with it because I love international basketball but FIBA reffing, planning, and systems all seem so confused and unprofessional.
                          We The North

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco View Post
                            Expanding the tournament and giving teams to higher level of competition elevates their own skill. This isn't a bad thing.
                            I agree. Expanding the tournament allows countries that otherwise wouldn't get an opportunity to play against elite level competition a chance to grow and improve.

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
                              Before this thread, I thought I had it figured out.

I am even more confused now.

I wish the NBA would come in and takeover international basketball, cut this FIBA bullshit. I put up with it because I love international basketball but FIBA reffing, planning, and systems all seem so confused and unprofessional.
                              And then what, do a QUADRUPLE ROUND ROBIN for every single basketball NT in the world in an NBA-style home-and-away format?

That's insane, man.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information