• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Basketball now vs 10 - 15 years ago

China, Lebanon weaker..
    Iran stronger
    Phillipine a new addition which wasn't there

overall i think weaker.

China had like wang zhi, yao ming to the nba..
    now nothing in nba

Comment

Originally posted by eshmawi View Post
      China, Lebanon weaker..
      Iran stronger

overall i think weaker.
      The Philippines actually used to be a powerhouse from the 1950s-1980s, until everyone in Asia learned how to play basketball. I think we did well in the 90s, though I agree we weren't there in the 2000s, FIBA hitting us with the ban hammer in 2005 really hurt PH basketball.

It's really a nice thing we came back now, but we're still a long way to go before reclaiming our throne as the kings of Asian basketball.
      Originally posted by gideon
      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by eshmawi View Post
        China, Lebanon weaker..
        Iran stronger

overall i think weaker.
        Overall, I think the competition became stronger. One or two players (Yao, Wang Zhi Zhi) don't constitute the whole level of play of a tournament. Teams like Chinese Taipei, Kazakhstan, Qatar and Palestine are coming up as pretty good teams. You can say that China possibly became weaker, but I think their losses are more of the reason that the other teams are improving rather than their decline.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
          The Philippines actually used to be a powerhouse from the 1950s-1980s, until everyone in Asia learned how to play basketball. I think we did well in the 90s, though I agree we weren't there in the 2000s, FIBA hitting us with the ban hammer in 2005 really hurt PH basketball.

It's really a nice thing we came back now, but we're still a long way to go before reclaiming our throne as the kings of Asian basketball.
          I think we have to stop living in the 50-80's. Filipinos bring this up every chance they get. Basketball's up and down, even Bahrain used to beat us and India was stronger in the 90's too.

Comment

Always thought it was weird how Saudi Arabia made the semifinals in 1997 and 1999 and then basically disappeared. They were one of the first West Asian teams to be a major factor in this tournament.
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
              Always thought it was weird how Saudi Arabia made the semifinals in 1997 and 1999 and then basically disappeared. They were one of the first West Asian teams to be a major factor in this tournament.
              Did they use Saudi players or purchased Africans/foreign arabs/black Americans like Qatar is doing today? That might be an explanation. Saudis, and Persian Gulf Arabs in general, are the most inactive societies on earth. They literally don't move or play sports. You look at Saudi and they suck at 99% of the sports in the world. The one sport where they had some success on the Asian stage was soccer, and that stopped in mid-2000's as well (since then they've dropped off the map in soccer as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Nimaa View Post
                Did they use Saudi players or purchased Africans/foreign arabs/black Americans like Qatar is doing today? That might be an explanation. Saudis, and Persian Gulf Arabs in general, are the most inactive societies on earth. They literally don't move or play sports. You look at Saudi and they suck at 99% of the sports in the world. The one sport where they had some success on the Asian stage was soccer, and that stopped in mid-2000's as well (since then they've dropped off the map in soccer as well).
                The actually had a golden generation of Saudi players with some names like Ali Moughrabi and Adel Johani... the Saudi basketball league was at it's best in those days... before Joe Vogel came to play in Lebanon and represented the Lebanese NT he was playing with Ittihad in Saudi Arabia and they were one of the top teams in Asia... it just happened that the level of basketball wasn't that high back then and the interest in basketball wasn't as popular as it is now

Comment

I think overall stronger because of all the imports (including American-born players). Also Palestine's good performance, though not all that surprising to me as I had predicted their emergence a few years back.

SE Asia (Malaysia, Singapore) and Gulf (Kuwait) did not improve, I think their berths should be given to Central Asia (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan) or East Asia (Mongolia, North Korea), these teams cannot possibly do worse than Malaysia/Singapore. (Mongolia was somewhat competitive in the 2014 Asian Games, and Afghanistan did well when they played in Asian Games in 2010? 2006?) Too bad Syria and Iraq aren't in a situation to play basketball because they really have potential to be competitive.
                  Last edited by sinobball; 10-02-2015, 03:04 AM.
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information