Serbian NT 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
    In terms of national teams, I don't think anyone does Spain is the closest to it, but with the over-reliance on Pau Gasol, that also goes out of the water kind of.
    Appreciate . But...
    Lets just talk about national teams then as such...And Europeans,for that matter of fact .
    That is a bit of different ball game they play there, and maybe for a reason ? Maybe there is no time/reason for them teams to try and play "modern" game as they are there for only short term for one task - get that team to work together and win as many games as possible in a short period of time?
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by auris1 View Post
      Appreciate . But...
      Lets just talk about national teams then as such...And Europeans,for that matter of fact .
      That is a bit of different ball game they play there, and maybe for a reason ? Maybe there is no time/reason for them teams to try and play "modern" game as they are there for only short term for one task - get that team to work together and win as many games as possible in a short period of time?
      Well if you just look at the tournaments for NT and what you can do in such a short time, and get the whole team on board to achieve something things have to be simple. I think if you play a good straight up defense and your players are good at it, you will way easier prepare the team for competitions defensively. With that in place, you will be able to rely on your defense most of the tournament to keep you in games. What we see with NT is the opposite. Most teams try to implement some zone schemes that take way too long to learn and a lot of times just don't work vs teams that can exploit zone defenses. Man-to-man defense, solid defense, will not be lights out every game, there will be matchups that teams can exploit but in the end will always over the course of the tournament work out better. Also, like I said it takes less time to implement and have it run efficiently by NT.

On offense, things get very complex. It is impossible over one camp to implement an offensive system that will be complex enough and give you enough options like you do in club teams. So all the offensive systems are simplified to the bone and teams run actually very few set plays. The teams with continuity and same faces year after year can upgrade the playbook under same coach, but most of them do not have that luxury. Teams like Serbia are 80% PnR based offenses and movement off of that. We rely on PnR to be the base of things we do on offense way too much and we run about 6 sets that I have counted as pre-called plays in offense (not counting inbound and sideline plays, which are specialty play anyway). If you want to have a diverse offense, you need to have sets created for different lineups and guys you want plays to be called for. Then you have to adjust them according to the defense you are facing. This takes way too much time and most of the teams cannot afford that much time to the offensive playbook. So what happens is that teams run the PnR, they run the sideline screen action, they run the weave outside, they run ISO for few players and that is about it. So if your stars are in form and have good matchups that looks good on the floor, otherwise you look pretty bad.

I think the best compromise is that when putting a playbook for NT on offense you have to identify some of the key plays and sets that are run for your star players on the club level, and where they operate most efficiently on, then build something around that so they are familiar and pick it up quickly. Identify players you want to matchup vs other and run ISO for and then also deliver some screen game. The rest you leave to PnR, transition and ball movement after the play breaks down. That is the best you can hope for. That is why Americans blow everyone away, since they excel at the ISO, PnR, Transition even without preparation on offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
        Well if you just look at the tournaments for NT and what you can do in such a short time, and get the whole team on board to achieve something things have to be simple. I think if you play a good straight up defense and your players are good at it, you will way easier prepare the team for competitions defensively. With that in place, you will be able to rely on your defense most of the tournament to keep you in games. What we see with NT is the opposite. Most teams try to implement some zone schemes that take way too long to learn and a lot of times just don't work vs teams that can exploit zone defenses. Man-to-man defense, solid defense, will not be lights out every game, there will be matchups that teams can exploit but in the end will always over the course of the tournament work out better. Also, like I said it takes less time to implement and have it run efficiently by NT.

On offense, things get very complex. It is impossible over one camp to implement an offensive system that will be complex enough and give you enough options like you do in club teams. So all the offensive systems are simplified to the bone and teams run actually very few set plays. The teams with continuity and same faces year after year can upgrade the playbook under same coach, but most of them do not have that luxury. Teams like Serbia are 80% PnR based offenses and movement off of that. We rely on PnR to be the base of things we do on offense way too much and we run about 6 sets that I have counted as pre-called plays in offense (not counting inbound and sideline plays, which are specialty play anyway). If you want to have a diverse offense, you need to have sets created for different lineups and guys you want plays to be called for. Then you have to adjust them according to the defense you are facing. This takes way too much time and most of the teams cannot afford that much time to the offensive playbook. So what happens is that teams run the PnR, they run the sideline screen action, they run the weave outside, they run ISO for few players and that is about it. So if your stars are in form and have good matchups that looks good on the floor, otherwise you look pretty bad.

I think the best compromise is that when putting a playbook for NT on offense you have to identify some of the key plays and sets that are run for your star players on the club level, and where they operate most efficiently on, then build something around that so they are familiar and pick it up quickly. Identify players you want to matchup vs other and run ISO for and then also deliver some screen game. The rest you leave to PnR, transition and ball movement after the play breaks down. That is the best you can hope for. That is why Americans blow everyone away, since they excel at the ISO, PnR, Transition even without preparation on offense.
        All good .
        Let me just ask you one simple question .
        How come did we win last year vs Serbia ?
        And how come Serbia did that much better this year compared to Lithuania?
        And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information