64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lithuania

25 39.06%
  • Serbia

39 60.94%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [1/2 Finals - Day 2] Lithuania - Serbia

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    no, those are Russian ones in history books.
    same as all yugoslavian ones are serbian ones.
    we got the independence, they got the medals.
    it's pity i know ....

I would argue that old Yugoslavian ones (SFRY) go to no single country, but the ones after 1995. are definitely Serbian ones. I mean how many Montenegrin players were in post 1995 teams? Out of those that were, how many were really important players? Out of those, how many declare themselves as Montenegrins today instead of Montenegro Serbs (which is a whole other crazy topic but needs to be mentioned).

Quote Originally Posted by Defke View Post
    I would argue that old Yugoslavian ones (SFRY) go to no single country, but the ones after 1995. are definitely Serbian ones. I mean how many Montenegrin players were in post 1995 teams? Out of those that were, how many were really important players? Out of those, how many declare themselves as Montenegrins today instead of Montenegro Serbs (which is a whole other crazy topic but needs to be mentioned).
    1 and in letters one in 10yrs period - Vlado Scepanovic.

Serbia playing very well, but they are still on its way not played with a well-organized defense.
    Rightly been observed here - a lot depends on Teodosić and Bjelica, but history shows that M.Kalnietis can completely disable Teodosić, and then this brings more harm than good for Serbia. With Bjelica will be difficult but we have a stronger front line with the NBA star level Valančiūnas ,which can to send on the bench Bjelica and Raduljica
    Yet history shows that Lithuania not lost from Jugoslavia in an important match after questionable 1995 Finals !!!
    Lithuania has one of the best coaches in Europe who perfectly knows when the team has to reach peak.

Seems we have no chance, we'll be outcoached and our stars will exit with 5 pfs early on. Shall we conceed the game then right away?.

Quote Originally Posted by G&B View Post
    Serbia playing very well, but they are still on its way not played with a well-organized defense.
    Rightly been observed here - a lot depends on Teodosić and Bjelica, but history shows that M.Kalnietis can completely disable Teodosić, and then this brings more harm than good for Serbia. With Bjelica will be difficult but we have a stronger front line with the NBA star level Valančiūnas ,which can to send on the bench Bjelica and Raduljica
    Yet history shows that Lithuania not lost from Jugoslavia in an important match after questionable 1995 Finals !!!
    Lithuania has one of the best coaches in Europe who perfectly knows when the team has to reach peak.
    How many important games did we play since then? I can't find a full list, but I don't remember many games with Lithuania, we were mostly in opposite sides of brackets. The only one I remember is World cup 2010 bronze match, where we were completely down after losing a controversial qt game, while Lithuania was fresher after one-sided US match.

Regarding reaching peak, I think Serbs are yet to get there, while Liths are already playing their max, but will see.

How many important games did we play since then? I can't find a full list, but I don't remember many games with Lithuania, we were mostly in opposite sides of brackets.
    Since 2000:

2000 Olympics 1/4 Finals: Lithuania 76:63 Yugoslavia
    2003 EuroBasket 1/4 Finals: Lithuania 98:82 Serbia & Montenegro
    2009 EuroBasket Group game: Lithuania 79:89 Serbia
    2010 World Cup Bronze game: Lithuania 99:88 Serbia
    2011 EuroBasket Group game: Lithuania 100:90 Serbia
    2013 EuroBasket Group game: Lithuania 56:63 Serbia

So, in last 15 years Lithuania is ahead 4-2. I have to say I would be quite surprised if it was 5-2 after this EuroBasket. Serbia is tough this year.

Quote Originally Posted by yessuz View Post
    like kalnietis. but he didn't play last season at all...
    And he is having a good tournament? Cmon be serious...

I think this game is 50-50. Two great basketball nations, which know how to play then it matters. It will be very interesting tactical battle between two smart teams. I'm looking forward to see it.

Actually scratch that last post of mine, I went a little further back to when Lithuania got their independence back and since then we also lost to Yugoslavia two times in 1995 EuroBasket, one time in 1996 Olympics and once in 1997 EuroBasket.

So, the overall historical score is Lithuania 4-6 Serbia. Although, you could argue that counting Yugoslavia's wins as Serbia's doesn't make the most sense, because then you could probably start counting Soviet Unions accomplishments as Lithuania's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Kalnietis is still in a pretty terrible shape, but he's the best option at PG we've got. I think with top-shape Kalnietis and Motiejunas (possibly with Kleiza as well) we would look like a completely different team, one that might be considered on par with Serbia. As of now though, we're major underdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by omgsomuchpotential View Post
    Actually scratch that last post of mine, I went a little further back to when Lithuania got their independence back and since then we also lost to Yugoslavia two times in 1995 EuroBasket, one time in 1996 Olympics and once in 1997 EuroBasket.

So, the overall historical score is Lithuania 4-6 Serbia. Although, you could argue that counting Yugoslavia's wins as Serbia's doesn't make the most sense, because then you could probably start counting Soviet Unions accomplishments as Lithuania's as well.
    Well, it was Yugoslavia in name with Serbia & Montenegro in actual sense. Also since that 1995 the roster was always Serbian 95%+ (the only player who had an important role on those teams since 1995-2005 was Vlado Scepanovic, from Montenegro). So it is pretty crazy not to consider those games. Anyway, you can play around with statistics both ways, it leads nowhere. That was then, this is now. And already after the Eurobasket it will be in the past. All that will not matter in the next tournament if we are to meet again.

Look three posts above, post-1991 Yugoslavia is basically Serbia with one occasional Montenegrin player. Soviet union was not that one sided.

Kalnietis is still in a pretty terrible shape, but he's the best option at PG we've got. I think with top-shape Kalnietis and Motiejunas (possibly with Kleiza as well) we would look like a completely different team, one that might be considered on par with Serbia. As of now though, we're major underdogs.
    Kalnietis even at his bet I think wouldn't change you a lot as a team. Monti is the key, since he is your only big man who can stretch and be an effective passer and with him yes you would be a much much better team. In general the downside of your national team is in the G spots where you are, compared to Lith backcourts of the past, not doing so well. Not much talent, and not performing at the high level consistently.

Kalnietis even at his bet I think wouldn't change you a lot as a team. Monti is the key, since he is your only big man who can stretch and be an effective passer and with him yes you would be a much much better team. In general the downside of your national team is in the G spots where you are, compared to Lith backcourts of the past, not doing so well. Not much talent, and not performing at the high level consistently.
    Don't we know it We really need some good guards... Perhaps Sedekerskis/Varnas will fix those wing spots for us.

how funny this sounds xD
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

That was then, this is now. And already after the Eurobasket it will be in the past. All that will not matter in the next tournament if we are to meet again.
    fully agree

Don't we know it We really need some good guards... Perhaps Sedekerskis/Varnas will fix those wing spots for us.
    Sedekerkis will probably end up playing SF a lot (SG/SF swingman at least), mostly due to his shooting mechanics which are slow and inefficient. I think in more near future Tomas Dimsa can contribute maybe. He is a good slasher/transition guy and he is very athletic and can have excellent on the ball defense. He is a spot shooter though and can't do it well off the dribble. It's a little worrying that he doesn't use the fool floor to shoot, but rather depends on his 3point shot.

of course not. he's having below average one. well, assists are good.
    problem is, that he's too important for the team.

Look three posts above, post-1991 Yugoslavia is basically Serbia with one occasional Montenegrin player. Soviet union was not that one sided.
    well - 1988 Olympics gold. 4 of 5 starting 5 players for Soviet team - Lithuanians.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast