Greek NT 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek NT 2016

Should the Greek NT rebuild in 2016 or continue with the the same group that has consistently underperformed since 2007? Should the coach be changed?

A rebuilding team would not be able to compete for medals right away, but hopefully they would become competitive in a few years.

In order to rebuild, Zisis, Bourousis, Spanoulis, Perperoglou, Kaimakoglou would have to leave the team. New additions would be: Papapetrou, Pappas, Agravanis. And in 2017-2018, we could add Charalampopoulos, Papagiannis, Bochoridis.

The early retirement from the NT of shadow-of-his-former-self Papanikolaou also needs to be seriously considered.

Potential 2016 rebuilding squad:
    Calathes, Mantzaris
    Sloukas, Pappas, Papapetrou
    Antetokounmpo
    Printezis, Agravanis
    Koufos

Gaps in backup small forward and backup center will eventually be filled by Charalampopoulos and Papagiannis.

At this moment Greece simply has one of the best rosters out there. Therefore the team should stick together and make some minor adaptations. After that, give it another try next year. There's really like around 4 teams in the world that can really pose problems for Greece. Spain is one of them. With a little luck, if Greece avoids one of these teams in QF, then Greece can make the SF and play with less pressure. Consider the fact that in 2005, 2006, 2009 when Greece made at least the semi finals, they had to play teams like Russia, Slovenia, and Turkey in the QF. Teams who were clearly on a lower level compared to Spain, Argentina and even Lithuania then. Even so, they had a hard time beating them. The games were not much different than the one against Spain yesterday. So one can't take anything away from them. Yesterday was a game between two medal candidates, and one team lost. You don't change the roster because of that.

Key players should continue playing for Greece. Needless to say, Kaimakoglou and Papanikolaou were not in good shape this year and they didn't get in good shape during the tournament. But if Papanikolaou has a good season in the NBA, he needs to be part of the team. Also, I would also be open to players like Pappas and Agravanis joining the team if they make progress.

Putting young talented players on the team just for the sake of it is not going to help. Right now I don't see the younger generation being ready for this level yet. They will simply be outplayed. Greece would have lost by 20 yesterday if the strongest squad was not used.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Well, imho the problem lies in Katsikaris. I don't have any objection for Zisis, Spanoulis, Bourousis to be there next year. Let's not forget that it's going to be an olympics year, so if they want to be there (and of course they are on a certain level of ability), no one can take it from them for the sake of rebuild. As for Papanikolaou, what early retirement??? He is 23,24 years old?? OK, he might be out of form, but I suppose he can find his old self.
      The most important thing for me is the coach. I don't like him, way too overestimated.

Comment

I think Katsikaris will stay for the pre-olympic tournament, if the team fails to qualify then he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo64 View Post
          I think Katsikaris will stay for the pre-olympic tournament, if the team fails to qualify then he's gone.
          there are some rumors about Giannakis taking over. http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/baske...thniki/3109514

Comment

The problem lies in Katsikaris for sure. At least right now and after this Eurobasket tournament. For me it was unacceptable how bad he managed this roster. We all know the limited rotation he chose to proceed in the QF, so there is no need to continue this conversation.

I believe that Bourousis can retain his spot in the team, as long as he remains at a top level this upcoming season. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on other Cs right now. Players like Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis, Kavvadas, are not NT material. We cannot predict how good Papagiannis will be at the future, but he does not belong in the NT squad just yet. The same applies on Agravanis, too. Of course, he is a PF and not a C, but I don't know if he could have a better impact than Kaimakoglou did this year.

Papanikolaou belongs to this team. Just because he faced two injuries that led him lose his minutes in the NBA, does not mean he forgot balling.

Papapetrou is a SF and not a SG, as you rank him in you post dear christodoulou76. On the contrary, I believe that Giankovits is more SG than Papapetrou if needed. But both are native SFs.

Potential 2016 squad:
            Calathes, Mantzaris, Athinaiou
            Sloukas, Pappas
            Antetokounmpo, Giankovits, Papapetrou
            Printezis, Agravanis
            Koufos, Bourousis

Comment

Finally the Black Age of Spanoulis has ended, so NT can restart with some fresh air and, possibly, with some bright players. There won't be so many changes, anyway, but the absence of Spanoulis may lead Hellas to play a different basketball. Actually, basketball: we have watched those 20 seconds of oil drilling for too many years and, at least, the hope is that not only Printezis will be able to receive a pass. Incoming season will reveal who might be part of the team at the Preolympic tournament: Lountzis and Haralampopoulos (but Papagiannis too) represent the most interesting U20 names that the country has, together with Dorsey who showed to be really interesting at Crete's WC.
              From the actual national team, after the awesome news coming from Spanoulis' retirement, there are three names that are in sort of waiting list: Zisis, Mpourousis, Kaimakoglou. The first one has probably still something to give, as Mpourousis (mostly, in this case, there are not alternatives); Kaimakoglou had a bad season in Russia and a bad EB. Personally, I'd keep the center because in some way he always have above average performances with NT. I'd give a last chance to Zisis, who could be the same player he was without Spanoulis. Or, at least, not to be a negative presence. About Perperoglou, I think that his time is over, about Papanikolaou it's quite clear that he's not a basketball player anymore (but he was not a basketball player even before injuries).

The arrival of Giannakis could be quite helpful: the last Hellases were Olympiacos-centered squads. Giannakis has been awesome in removing the PAOvsOSFP battle from national team giving the keys of leadership to someone not belonging to this bipolar system: Kakiouzis was the leader, born in AEK, playing abroad. May a Hellas with some different leadership exist? Yes, it happened. So, for this reason, the occasion not to have Spanoulis anymore in the team may change this balance.
              This is why I think that sort of "American oriented" team can born: Antetokounmpo (who, at least, won't have some Golden Dawn playmaking in the future), Calathes, Koufos can represent the skeleton for the next five years. This is why I strongly hope that Dorsey's freshman season will show him on court, because this guy after tomorrow may become a key element of the team (I personally adore him).

I also think that the "12 best players" team is a totally fucked up idea: Spain and Lithuania had absences but got a lot from some role-normal players. I mean, Spain was awful at WC with the full roster and excellent at EB without some "stars". Lithuania had for example that shooter (that I can never remember his name) who probably is not among 12 Lithuanian best players who gave a huge contribute. So, Hellas can learn something, from itself too: in 2009 they got a bronze medal with Kalampokis and Glyniadakis in the roster.

It's too soon to imagine who may be at Preolympic, but if I had to share my list right now, including my personal hopes about the incoming season, I'd go with:
              N.Calathes, Mantzaris, Lountzis (Zisis)
              Sloukas, Dorsey, Pappas
              G.Antetokounmpo, Giankovits (Papapetrou)
              Printezis, Agravanis
              Koufos, Mpourousis (Mpogris, Papagiannis).

The return to basketball of Mpramos (Venezia, Italy) and the possibility to add a "naturalized" player opens various possibilities: Mpramos if something goes wrong with guards, Pat Calathes if something goes wrong with power forwards and - of course - the possibility to have Zach Auguste eligible in the future (if not already) also gives more options to Hellas. A nation that can finally see the end of the tunnel now, after the retirement of Spanoulis.
              Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lebowski View Post

It's too soon to imagine who may be at Preolympic, but if I had to share my list right now, including my personal hopes about the incoming season, I'd go with:
                N.Calathes, Mantzaris, Lountzis (Zisis)
                Sloukas, Dorsey, Pappas
                G.Antetokounmpo, Giankovits (Papapetrou)
                Printezis, Agravanis
                Koufos, Mpourousis (Mpogris, Papagiannis).

The return to basketball of Mpramos (Venezia, Italy) and the possibility to add a "naturalized" player opens various possibilities: Mpramos if something goes wrong with guards, Pat Calathes if something goes wrong with power forwards and - of course - the possibility to have Zach Auguste eligible in the future (if not already) also gives more options to Hellas. A nation that can finally see the end of the tunnel now, after the retirement of Spanoulis.
                The dark age of spanoulis? Why being so negative, all failures are caused by him?. But anyway.
                If papanikolaou was never a basketball player, then bramos and pat Calathes are basketball players??

And I don't see why you put loutzis for next year he is way far from level of even mantzaris who is smart but average player offensively.

Dorsey neither won't play next year that's obvious.

My only hopes are about Pappas and Papapetrou to come back healthy and at least at same level, they are huge offensive weapons, players with a lot of confidence it's what we were missing in NT.

Comment

Basically the Greek team next year can be the same as this year. Pappas can substitute Spanoulis and that's that. If Zisis resigns then the damage is also minimal. Sloukas, Pappas, Calathes, Mantzaris will do the job. That would leave a place open in the center position. Perhaps Agravanis or Papagiannis can take that place. Although Papagiannis is not ready yet at this level. Neither will he be ready by next year, in all probability. Bourousis is definately going to play one more summer at least.

Kaimakoglou seems to be in decline. If Agravanis develops he can win a place as a PF.

The Greek team of 2016 may seem a bit thinner, but it was packed this year so it doesn't make a difference.

Comment

With out Spanulis Greece might run into problems next few years. Calathes aint the player who can win importent games such as 1/4 or 1/2 final. Do not trust him unstable. + rotation problem wil show up..
                    When Borus leave problems will show up at possition 5. But erven if he plays olimpics he wil be one year older next year.
                    FAMILY AERODROM

Comment

Yes, indeed this are the two things which are a problem for Greece. Bourousis will be 32. Hard to say how much it will impact him. Some players will get older, while some others will get more mature. We have yet to see if the overall effect is positive or negative.

Spanoulis is a top player any way you look at it. But then again, his absence may help the team chemistry. Perhaps though, Greece will be a bit more of an underdog next year without Spanoulis. So this compensates for something. And Pappas can prove to be a good player.

I think that Greece can win KO games if they meet the right opponent. Lats year Serbia reached the finals, this year Spain won it all. In recent years, Greece was knocked out five times against Spain, once against Argentina and once against Serbia. Perhaps Greece can be somewhat more lucky. This might be more crucial than what players Greece will assemble. One way or the other, Greece can always gather great squads in basketball.

Comment

Katsikaris let the 3 heroes play the most important game of the tournament. Every coach would have done the same thing : you win and you loose with your leaders (Collet with Parker&Diaw this year...). So that's a fact that we had to deal with it. The problem is that they played a very bad game. Bouroussis gives the momentum to Spain every time he has been on the floor. He also ruins the mood of the team... Spanoulis has played an hero ball game.... Sorry, now he's a veteran, he knows how good are some of his teammates (he plays with them all the year...)... so, we have the answer to the summer : the Greece we saw in 2014 played better (passing game, chemestry...) and Spanoulis did not adapt his game for the team, except during the preparation games, when it doesnt matter... As usual... Greece plays, has played and will play better (in the form - I don't care about results) without him and the fact that with Zisis and Boroussis the games are so predictable.... even if Bouroussis screen is shitty, they have to give him the ball =>turnovers... This is a universal Law^^!

Bouroussis and Spanoulis are the main reasons Greece failed an other time. Zisis has played a very good basket this summer, nothing to say against. Greece has many players to replace VSpan now : Pappas of course... and Sloukas should have more leadership in offense too. That's great. Calathes (with a full year and big responsabilty with PAO... unlike the last two years) and Mantzaris (very solid, smart and usefull for this team...) give a great rotations at PG.

Even if Zisis also retires (does he really ? and Bouroussis also, really.... I read it on some websites, but not in the greek sites... could I have missed the articles ?!), it does not change anything... Guard position are full of great (to see know with responsabities on the top level) and "young" players : Calathes - Mantzaris - Sloukas - Pappas and maybe Athinaiou for the last spot...

At F position : Papanikolaou is not finished ! He has to be one of main player of the new team... The reason he has played so few minutes (despite Katsikaris' small ball lineups) is a mystery... He was very decent against Belgium for 5minutes... anyway... Jankovic is great for a rotation, and he's versatile... And lets see Papapetrou this year for the scoring.

I would like to see Adeto playing now at PF... Pap'-Jankovic and Papapetrou (or Charalambopoulos) are enough for wings. SF spot is full...
                        Agravanis and Charalambopoulos -maybe later -( in the next years, he could play at this place ?) have a big chance for a back-up : 5-10minutes behind Adeto in 2016.

What about Printezis... I don't see him being the veteran of the team... and with probably less minutes, will he be enough motivated ?

The C position if the main problem. Koufos played 3 good games in do or die games. It's the firt time, he's that positive with the national team. Great progress. He was focused and has been better games after games. He doesnt derserve critics I think. Too bad, he doesnt play in "offense" with Memphis during the whole year...
                        For 25-30min, he is ok now... and with the new generation of guards, he should have a better impact.
                        For the last spots : Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis and Kavvadas are the young with the most chances... We don't care, maybe some young and motivated players are better for a team chemestry than mister B.
                        Role players that do their job at 100% are more usefull than any player who doesnt play defense, doesnt give a fuckin' good screen (hey Billy,big B. is not Hines nor Dunston nor Hunter, don't you know... to play good p'n'roll and to save your ass in defense...), forgive his teammates in offense and ruins all the chance by his behaviour on the floor...
                        It would be the "black point" of the team of course the newt two years, but they can develop their game (especially Papagiannis).
                        For next year... Mavrokefalidis or even Sofoklis... if they have a good season and are motivated to join the team are some options we can't forget (a two years project if the team go to the Olympics (far from being certain).

Katsikaris has been a disapointment to my eyes this year... maybe he was not free (impact of Troika)... but he still has other rotations to do/try (Pap or Kaimak instead of Perpe.... and more Sloukas...) and a better game plan to execute.... At the end of the game, he seems totaly lost during the time out : Priftis and Skourtopoulos showed him some things on the tablet and spoke a lot).
                        If he stay one more year ok... I think it would be easier for him to coach.... If not Giannakis (despite he was not very good at a moment) is the guy in Greece... he's not stupid he knows the potential of the team, and maybe a 2-3 years project is something he can achieve much more taking a middle generation or a team with many old stars....

So, after all, for the TQO, hypothetically, I would like to see this core 8 players and then we'll see :

Calathes - Mantzaris - Athinaiou
                        Pappas - Sloukas
                        Papanikolaou - Jankovic - Papapetrou
                        Adetokounbo - Agravanis/Printezis
                        Koufos - Sarikopoulos/Kavvadas/Papagiannis - Vougioukas/Mavrokefalidis/Schortsianitis

Oh... edit... I forget my sweety sloppy sloppy Vougioukas... Keep eyes on him with Zalgiris
                        Last edited by achelim niabass; 09-24-2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by achelim niabass View Post
                          Katsikaris let the 3 heroes play the most important game of the tournament. Every coach would have done the same thing : you win and you loose with your leaders (Collet with Parker&Diaw this year...). So that's a fact that we had to deal with it. The problem is that they played a very bad game. Bouroussis gives the momentum to Spain every time he has been on the floor. He also ruins the mood of the team... Spanoulis has played an hero ball game.... Sorry, now he's a veteran, he knows how good are some of his teammates (he plays with them all the year...)... so, we have the answer to the summer : the Greece we saw in 2014 played better (passing game, chemestry...) and Spanoulis did not adapt his game for the team, except during the preparation games, when it doesnt matter... As usual... Greece plays, has played and will play better (in the form - I don't care about results) without him and the fact that with Zisis and Boroussis the games are so predictable.... even if Bouroussis screen is shitty, they have to give him the ball =>turnovers... This is a universal Law^^!

Bouroussis and Spanoulis are the main reasons Greece failed an other time. Zisis has played a very good basket this summer, nothing to say against. Greece has many players to replace VSpan now : Pappas of course... and Sloukas should have more leadership in offense too. That's great. Calathes (with a full year and big responsabilty with PAO... unlike the last two years) and Mantzaris (very solid, smart and usefull for this team...) give a great rotations at PG.

Even if Zisis also retires (does he really ? and Bouroussis also, really.... I read it on some websites, but not in the greek sites... could I have missed the articles ?!), it does not change anything... Guard position are full of great (to see know with responsabities on the top level) and "young" players : Calathes - Mantzaris - Sloukas - Pappas and maybe Athinaiou for the last spot...

At F position : Papanikolaou is not finished ! He has to be one of main player of the new team... The reason he has played so few minutes (despite Katsikaris' small ball lineups) is a mystery... He was very decent against Belgium for 5minutes... anyway... Jankovic is great for a rotation, and he's versatile... And lets see Papapetrou this year for the scoring.

I would like to see Adeto playing now at PF... Pap'-Jankovic and Papapetrou (or Charalambopoulos) are enough for wings. SF spot is full...
                          Agravanis and Charalambopoulos -maybe later -( in the next years, he could play at this place ?) have a big chance for a back-up : 5-10minutes behind Adeto in 2016.

What about Printezis... I don't see him being the veteran of the team... and with probably less minutes, will he be enough motivated ?

The C position if the main problem. Koufos played 3 good games in do or die games. It's the firt time, he's that positive with the national team. Great progress. He was focused and has been better games after games. He doesnt derserve critics I think. Too bad, he doesnt play in "offense" with Memphis during the whole year...
                          For 25-30min, he is ok now... and with the new generation of guards, he should have a better impact.
                          For the last spots : Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis and Kavvadas are the young with the most chances... We don't care, maybe some young and motivated players are better for a team chemestry than mister B.
                          Role players that do their job at 100% are more usefull than any player who doesnt play defense, doesnt give a fuckin' good screen (hey Billy,big B. is not Hines nor Dunston nor Hunter, don't you know... to play good p'n'roll and to save your ass in defense...), forgive his teammates in offense and ruins all the chance by his behaviour on the floor...
                          It would be the "black point" of the team of course the newt two years, but they can develop their game (especially Papagiannis).
                          For next year... Mavrokefalidis or even Sofoklis... if they have a good season and are motivated to join the team are some options we can't forget (a two years project if the team go to the Olympics (far from being certain).

Katsikaris has been a disapointment to my eyes this year... maybe he was not free (impact of Troika)... but he still has other rotations to do/try (Pap or Kaimak instead of Perpe.... and more Sloukas...) and a better game plan to execute.... At the end of the game, he seems totaly lost during the time out : Priftis and Skourtopoulos showed him some things on the tablet and spoke a lot).
                          If he stay one more year ok... I think it would be easier for him to coach.... If not Giannakis (despite he was not very good at a moment) is the guy in Greece... he's not stupid he knows the potential of the team, and maybe a 2-3 years project is something he can achieve much more taking a middle generation or a team with many old stars....

So, after all, for the TQO, hypothetically, I would like to see this core 8 players and then we'll see :

Calathes - Mantzaris - Athinaiou
                          Pappas - Sloukas
                          Papanikolaou - Jankovic - Papapetrou
                          Adetokounbo - Agravanis/Printezis
                          Koufos - Sarikopoulos/Kavvadas/Papagiannis - Vougioukas/Mavrokefalidis/Schortsianitis

Oh... edit... I forget my sweety sloppy sloppy Vougioukas... Keep eyes on him with Zalgiris
                          Zisis and bourousis have not retired.

Comment

Ok, thank you !

Do we know more about Papanikolaou' statement during the tournament ?
                            Katsikaris benched him just because he judged he was not in great shape/confidence, or for some other reasons : his "future" in NBA, status in the team he does not accept ,which I highly doubt but ... ?
                            He was the MVP of the Greek bench and tried to motive his teammates as long as he can...
                            I still asking me how the hell hasn't he played (a little bit) more (Perpe' minutes for example).

Comment

It seems Katsikaris is staying for one more year. So I don't think many changes are coming. Bourousis and Zisis may also stay.
                              If Greece is going to do a reshuffle, it will be at the Eurobasket in 2017. For next year, one or two players will be replaced. And the team will try to find better chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information