No announcement yet.

[Round 1 - Day 1 - Group B] Spain - Serbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really happy how we played, despite the worst imaginable defense by Raduljica, Kuzmić and Erceg on Gasol and Reyes. Bjelica was magnificient, he completely destroyed Mirotić, and proved that he indeed is an NBA-caliber player. Nedović, Marković, Teodosić and Bogdanović were also very good, if they continue to play this way i can't see us loosing a game in this group (with all due respect to Italy and Turkey).

Comment

Congrats Serbs brothers! Its great win!
      https://twitter.com/MicaHack

Comment

True that CoachZ. I'll reconsider my opinion regarding Serbian speed
        I really missed some system within Spain. If you ask me, I'd run PnR through Teo and Raduljica defending just about every time they're on court. Various switches for Mirotić/Pau or Reyes under the rim to create missmatches... but than again as you said the energy was not there, they might have been trying some stuff, but I haven't noticed it. While we're at it, Bjelica even if I don't consider him as some excelent defender ussualy, was a poison for Mirotić on the defensive side as well, as far as my count goes, Mirotič was mostly scoring on others, at least that part of Spanish plan (i suppose) was present there to some degree and for some limited time span.

Spain does tend to switch one gear up when it matters however, you can't play succesfull basketball when your scoring depends on streaks and most often that streak even being connected to succesfull defense to a large degree + some 1 on 1 solutions that might get you somewhere, but unless Dirk in his prime is the one doing it, that somewhere won't be near the medals imo.

Serbia obviously has fans in the arena, 3-4,5 great players they can rely on in clutch situations, some others just as importantly that are good doing their roles and is able to play with a lots of variety in game, which is also ussualy the trademark for succesfull teams. I don't think games vs. Turkey, Italy or Germany will be easy, but Serbia just made a big step towards winning the group B.
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Serbia rules

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
            True that CoachZ. I'll reconsider my opinion regarding Serbian speed
            I really missed some system within Spain. If you ask me, I'd run PnR through Teo and Raduljica defending just about every time they're on court. Various switches for Mirotić/Pau or Reyes under the rim to create missmatches... but than again as you said the energy was not there, they might have been trying some stuff, but I haven't noticed it. While we're at it, Bjelica even if I don't consider him as some excelent defender ussualy, was a poison for Mirotić on the defensive side as well, as far as my count goes, Mirotič was mostly scoring on others, at least that part of Spanish plan (i suppose) was present there to some degree and for some limited time span.

Spain does tend to switch one gear up when it matters however, you can't play succesfull basketball when your scoring depends on streaks and most often that streak even being connected to succesfull defense to a large degree + some 1 on 1 solutions that might get you somewhere, but unless Dirk in his prime is the one doing it, that somewhere won't be near the medals imo.

Serbia obviously has fans in the arena, 3-4,5 great players they can rely on in clutch situations, some others just as importantly that are good doing their roles and is able to play with a lots of variety in game, which is also ussualy the trademark for succesfull teams. I don't think games vs. Turkey, Italy or Germany will be easy, but Serbia just made a big step towards winning the group B.
            It is very important that we split the draw with Spain. The worst that can happen is that we are on the same side, because the second game will be a whole another monster. So we should go for 1, and send Spain to the bottom of the draw in knockout. I still prefer France in the Semis to Spain.

Comment

Serbia a better team, Bjelica player of the game, IDEMO SRBIJA!

Comment

Spain's crappy preparation schedule made them soft. Serbia had a much tougher prep schedule and they were battle-hardened.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                  It is very important that we split the draw with Spain. The worst that can happen is that we are on the same side, because the second game will be a whole another monster. So we should go for 1, and send Spain to the bottom of the draw in knockout. I still prefer France in the Semis to Spain.
                  Interesting, why is that so?
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                    Interesting, why is that so?
                    Well I think we have France's number for quite some time now, we even beat them in the prep game in Belgrade where we exposed the weak rotation at guard. Parker is a phenomenal player but he has shown for some years now that any time he gets over 22-23 minutes in continuity he loses a lot of his value and makes mistakes, forces shots etc. Same story like Gasol/Reyes today. We have to run at Parker, and with him not on the floor we have a big advantage in the backcourt.

I also think on the coaching/tactical side they are not close to Spain either. Spain will be a completely different team in the second game vs them. If we get the first spot in the group we might run into them only in the Final game, and if we get there then it's mission accomplished already. I like how we matchup vs France, they have a very athletic frontcourt but none of them are pure scorers to be able to put a dent in our weak D at C (outside of Kuzmic who seems adequate). With Westerman being backup PG, and forcing De Colo to run with ball more once Parker is tired, we will shorten their backcourt rotation and have a decent chance to repeat last year.

Comment

One of the most important difference between two teams is the coach.
                      Djordjevic got all the benefits from his players, but Scariolo - terrible coach imo - did nothing...
                      Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                        Well I think we have France's number for quite some time now, we even beat them in the prep game in Belgrade where we exposed the weak rotation at guard. Parker is a phenomenal player but he has shown for some years now that any time he gets over 22-23 minutes in continuity he loses a lot of his value and makes mistakes, forces shots etc. Same story like Gasol/Reyes today. We have to run at Parker, and with him not on the floor we have a big advantage in the backcourt.

I also think on the coaching/tactical side they are not close to Spain either. Spain will be a completely different team in the second game vs them. If we get the first spot in the group we might run into them only in the Final game, and if we get there then it's mission accomplished already. I like how we matchup vs France, they have a very athletic frontcourt but none of them are pure scorers to be able to put a dent in our weak D at C (outside of Kuzmic who seems adequate). With Westerman being backup PG, and forcing De Colo to run with ball more once Parker is tired, we will shorten their backcourt rotation and have a decent chance to repeat last year.
                        that would be perfect revenge for 2005
                        Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Comment

Makes sense CoachZ. I forgot that you already played 2 games against them, that ussualy exposes some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
                            Spain's crappy preparation schedule made them soft. Serbia had a much tougher prep schedule and they were battle-hardened.
                            Agreed. .. They didn't play any serious opponent
                            4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
                              He was like that in his first year in Laboral.
                              I remember in 2010, when Teodosic killed us with his long three, a young Bjelica played a great great game and he was only 21.

Comment

This game was amazing! A great way to start the competition!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information