Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 364

Thread: Vilnius Rytas Thread

  1. #141
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,173
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    I think we sort of got used to that and yet ...another shuffle in lrytas ,which by no means comes as a surprise . Or is it ? Pacesa is out /Kurtinaitis is in . As i said before , I became quite fond of Pacesa . He is a character that you do not find many nowadays . I like the fact that he really tried to change things around in the club and was quite brutal in doing so . In some of the games i watched lrytas was really decent and entertaining (Eurocup particularly ) . I think loosing to Hapoel at home after being in front by 20 ,that was the game that was decisive for him. Jhe never recovered after that .Plus ,he had some bad luck with player's injuries as well . And, you know , resigning to make a space for Kurtis , who by all means is the better as a coach of them too ...Anyways , I think he left with dignity and his reputation intact . I hope he can continue to coach teams instead of managing them as some media implies that he might come back to lRYTAS in some other capacity . And to part in good terms with Vainauskas sn ? Thats something I have never heard before .
    Pacesas proved many times that he is better manager than coach... Or better say - less worse GM than coach

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    I do not think that lrytas really wanted to win against Utena in KMT tournament yesterday . I know ,the game was close and so on ,but really ,Kurtis needs time to reset the team in order to prepare them for LKL finals . Now they have 10 day break until the game vs Lietkabielis ,with another 10 ? daybreak until next game . So there is plenty of time to get things in order ,rest and refresh players and get them to play the way Kurtis wants .
    I am glad Logan is gone . Especially if they got some money out of it . I like him as a player ,going all the way back when he played in Soppot for Pacesa . But ,at 34 , it was too much to ask for him to do everything all the time .
    Aren't you a bit forcing things with finals? I mean Rytas failed to qualify there 2 out of 3 times lately. Losing Logan is huge. I mean motivated Logan. Age means nothing here at all. I saw no signs of him bein' some 34yo or so. He carried the team in first part of the season. Baron is nowhere close. Only good thing for LR that they bought one of Neptunas key players, obviously weakening main rival. That Neptunas crisis makes Rytas chances much bigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Vainauskas is expecting Kurtinaitis to build a winner, which is impossible With all these mediocare players. They need to invest a lot more if they want results. For all the hate Vainauskas Jr was getting for snorking cocaine and playing dirty games With Zalgiris, he atleast was decent in finding talent.
    He was good GM, but not magician either. He failed many times having way bigger budget. And morever with him Rytas became Raznatovic's and beobasket slave, which pushed Rytas into troubles too. One really decent GM, with whom Rytas rose to fame was late Lizaitis. Actually the same vainauskas jr was living on job Lizaitis did many years. Of course, current one Purlys is a joke. But as I wrote lot of times, real cancer of the club is vainauskas sr. I hope Vilnius community, bussinesmen, municipality will establish new club to represent our capital or re-establish the same Statyba, which was respected club with big history. Sadly it's realy hard to do with all the influence vainauskas sr has


  2. #142
    Senior Member auris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,219
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I hope Vilnius community, bussinesmen, municipality will establish new club to represent our capital or re-establish the same Statyba, which was respected club with big history. Sadly it's realy hard to do with all the influence vainauskas sr has
    Wasn't Statyba re- established few (maybe more ) seasons ago and were playing in NKL only to disappear once more ?
    I do not think that it would be fair for municipality to support such idea financially as well , just because ...Lrytas is well established club nowadays ,with titles and all them bells and whistles , whether you like or not .
    And at their heyday , for whole 3 seasons starting 2006 , lrytas was most attended team in LKL .
    http://www.lkl.lt/komandu-statistika/
    So there is an issue I see - the club just does not have big fan appeal . They do not generate enough money to compete with Zalgiris that way either . Maybe Vilnius as a city is not interested in basketball that much ? There are better things to do ? Yet...Zalgiris Vilnius FC was revived ,right ? Winning titles year after year .
    For me , I think it is about time for lrytas to get into LKL finals once more . I feel like they deserve a break too , because they ,as a club , are trying hard . I do not think they ever gave up either ,as a club , to try and beat Zalgiris . Which is a good thing in my eyes . Which , i realize ,wont be popular though in this forum

  3. #143
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Never wanted bad Things for this Club, but they bring it upon themselves. Management is terrible. I always supported and will support them in europe. However bringin in Kurtinaitis is not neceserally gonna save this Club.

  4. #144
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,173
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Wasn't Statyba re- established few (maybe more ) seasons ago and were playing in NKL only to disappear once more ?I do not think that it would be fair for municipality to support such idea financially as well , just because ...Lrytas is well established club nowadays ,with titles and all them bells and whistles , whether you like or not .
    And at their heyday , for whole 3 seasons starting 2006 , lrytas was most attended team in LKL .
    http://www.lkl.lt/komandu-statistika/
    Statybas was re-established, but it didn't have much of support from sponsors, municipality. The same like Sakalai. Of course with latter it's not the only reason, their owner was to blame too. But do you know why in Vilnius there's no other club for years and the ones which tries to do smth are just shut down? Thnx to vainauskas. It was harder for him to blackmail Zalgiris' sponsors, even tho it even lead to that big Zalgiris crisis in 2008, when Snoras, main sponsor of Zalgiris unexpectedly left without payin' promised money, only to join Rytas a bit later. But if Zalgiris survived, it was much harder to do the same for smaller clubs in Vilnius. He simply doesn't want any competition and has big influence in capital city. He is destroyin' basketball there, just like destroyin' the same Rytas now, even if doin' it unintentionally. There were atleast few times when other bussinesmen tried to take over Rytas, invest even more, revive the club, but vainauskas simply refused, telling them to fck off. I know some of Rytas diehard fans and I know from them that all this vainauskas crap made even some of such longterm fans to turn their back to club.

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    So there is an issue I see - the club just does not have big fan appeal . They do not generate enough money to compete with Zalgiris that way either . Maybe Vilnius as a city is not interested in basketball that much ? There are better things to do ? Yet...Zalgiris Vilnius FC was revived ,right ? Winning titles year after year .
    It's not football to blame for sure, it lacks fans badly too. Only some European cups game gathers full stadium, ordinary local league game is usually watched by ultras and some random fans. Yeah, there's an old excuse, that in Vilnius there's more interesting things to do than basketball... But c'mon, if I'd understand current low attendance, it's not a new thing, the same was happening few years back in Euroleague, vs teams like Barca it was half empty arena. Obviously club doesn't know how to attract fans and overall management just sucks. But the same vainauskas is stubborn as goat to leave or change smth.

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    For me , I think it is about time for lrytas to get into LKL finals once more . I feel like they deserve a break too , because they ,as a club , are trying hard . I do not think they ever gave up either ,as a club , to try and beat Zalgiris . Which is a good thing in my eyes . Which , i realize ,wont be popular though in this forum
    I don't think they are tryin' hard enough, I stated the reasons above. With their stubborness they are just killing basketball in Vilnius. That is really painfull to me as bball fan. I don't see the things changing with vainauskas in charge and I don't think that making into finals will change smth in longterm. It didn't change anything in 2015 f.e. Vice versa, it might even be worse as vainauskas will think that he does everything fine and will eventually stay - look we made it to finals and lost to Zalgiris, which has few times higher budget, the same old excuse. But I mean, how club from Vilnius, where flows way bigger money than in Kaunas, can't have similar budget too? Once it could, even bigger, why not now? I think it's obvious.
    I'm sharing your opinion about Vilnius club giving a fight and even beating Zalgiris in finals, if that would help bball to rise there like in 2000, but at the same time I can't wish any success to such s*** like vainauskas, who did so much damage to LT bball overall. So as I wrote, I just don't see bright future for Rytas and Vilnius bball as long as he will stay. I don't care if there'll be Statyba or new project will appear, even the same Rytas will remain, just with new owners. I think that could be a revival. sadly, currently it looks quite utopical


  5. #145
    Senior Member auris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,219
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Mindozas , i sort agree with you on almost everything you have said ,bar that bit about where you said that
    " vainauskas did so much damage to LT bball overall"
    .
    Before I go into overdrive of why i disagree with ,for once i thought maybe i can ask you to expand on that and explain why you think this way . Maybe some other might chime in on this topic as well .
    As an argument against your opinion i would throw something like - competition is good . LKL seems to be very competitive - more than ever . Even if Vainauskas is a bloody cunt ,who was willing to destroy Zalgiris no matter what , how is it different to normal business /need to beat competition for survival ,playing dirty because winners are not judged and all that similar malarkey ? Plus -you always want some good guy to win against bad one ,right ?It makes you feel good where you think justice prevail .
    I know i might sound very selfish ,but i do miss them good old times when lrytas was good in LKL finals . Them games were exciting and worth watching . I did not mind Neptunas playing in finals first time ,but last year it was just meh .Utena or Panevezys replacing Neptunas does not make it more attractive .

  6. #146
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,173
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    As an argument against your opinion i would throw something like - competition is good . LKL seems to be very competitive - more than ever . Even if Vainauskas is a bloody cunt ,who was willing to destroy Zalgiris no matter what , how is it different to normal business /need to beat competition for survival ,playing dirty because winners are not judged and all that similar malarkey ? Plus -you always want some good guy to win against bad one ,right ?It makes you feel good where you think justice prevail .
    I know i might sound very selfish ,but i do miss them good old times when lrytas was good in LKL finals . Them games were exciting and worth watching . I did not mind Neptunas playing in finals first time ,but last year it was just meh .Utena or Panevezys replacing Neptunas does not make it more attractive .
    I get what you are sayin', I realise that Zalgiris vs Rytas, Kaunas vs Vilnius is the most interesting thing for fans and I'm all for competition, the bigger it will be the better for LT bball, league and Zalgiris itself, but I'm totally against such dirty kind of competition, when you try to destroy your rival off the court. It's sports, everything must be decided on court. I know it might sound naive, nobody were and is a saint, it's bussiness, but vainauskas, both of them, were simply goin' over any possible lines here. It was really ugly back in the days, at first with Zalgiris, then dirty stuff via media and directly against federation, NT and etc., that's why I'm simply hoping for them to dissapear from bball scene, the sooner the better


  7. #147
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    From what I've been reading on this board, Rytas' struggles in the last two to three years are largely due to Gedvydas Vainauskas' player selection. Most Rytas fans have been calling for Vainauskas' head for several years.


  8. #148
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    From what I've been reading on this board, Rytas' struggles in the last two to three years are largely due to Gedvydas Vainauskas' player selection. Most Rytas fans have been calling for Vainauskas' head for several years.

    Its not just Rytas fans. Everyone of us understands that a city like Vilnius could have a team equal to todays Zalgiris. The resources are enormous, however buisinesses avoid Vainauskas, cause he uses his own media to bash people.

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,910
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    From what I've been reading on this board, Rytas' struggles in the last two to three years are largely due to Gedvydas Vainauskas' player selection. Most Rytas fans have been calling for Vainauskas' head for several years.

    Exactly bacause of this Gedvydas should be somehow punished not because of his words.

  10. #150
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    How is this not a racism?
    Because Americans are a multitude of races.

    We Canadians though like to make fun of Americans because in general they tend to think that the world revolves around the United States. The country is also so big that they don't need to speak anything but English. As a result, Americans have a tendency to be insular and are therefore overall very weak in geography. (My cousin's 27 year old son living in Detroit once asked me whether Ontario or Toronto was the city. He said he always got mixed up on that score.) Yes, yes, I know I'm generalizing, but that's the stereotype of Americans which we have in Canada.

    Last edited by Hepcat; 06-19-2017 at 06:29 PM.

  11. #151
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Light one. At least not worth going it for the world. I also meant all this stuff generally.

    Bit like slghtly missed gam winning free throw at last second

  12. #152

    Default

    Wow, globalisation reaches new levels. Some dude from third best Lithuanian basketball team says some racist thing and after a day most appreciated USA BB reporters discuss that. I mean 10 years ago Garastas was openly spitting racists comments and no-one really cared. I guess twitter and facebook changed the world for good:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLAhhcS46I8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  13. #153
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Question

    Now my understanding is that Gedvydas Vainauskas is to a large extent himself responsible for Rytas' struggles on the basketball court because he's been either influencing or interfering with player selections/signings and not doing a very good job of it. Yet he stated in the interview that it was coach Tomas Pačėsas who wanted the four black players on the team. Was Vainauskas telling the truth here? What do you think?


  14. #154
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I hope Vilnius community, bussinesmen, municipality will establish new club to represent our capital or re-establish the same Statyba, which was respected club with big history. Sadly it's realy hard to do with all the influence vainauskas sr has
    Resurrect Sakalai, that's the real answer!



    Last edited by Hepcat; 06-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Question

    What's Tomas Pačėsas doing these days anyway? Anything other than fishing and gardening? He's far too young for retirement.




  16. #156
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Default

    So I see that Gedvydas Vainauskas has now resigned from his position as president of Rytas basketball club. Šarūnas here might be a good replacement:



    Personally though I'd rather he resurrected Sakalai.


  17. #157
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    764
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    So I see that Gedvydas Vainauskas has now resigned from his position as president of Rytas basketball club. Šarūnas here might be a good replacement:



    Personally though I'd rather he resurrected Sakalai.

    You probably missed the news, that Antanas Guogas (TonyG) is the new owner. We quite frankly dont know what to expect from him, he has been involved with severall clubs, but he allways quits without accomplishing anything.

  18. #158
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    I thought that the appointment of Antanas Guogas was as the acting president though, meaning it was intended to be temporary until a permanent candidate for the position was found.



    If I'm wrong, then I guess the only hope for long suffering Vilnius basketball fans is to resurrect Sakalai.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 06-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.

  19. #159

    Default

    Rytas badly needs some-one who knows something about how to build a real team. So far the signings are primitive, maybe as complimentary peaces they could be justified. Rytas needs creative players who can move the ball, who can play D. From Guoga's interview I understood that he has no ideas what he's doing yet. I predict another big mess.

    PS: Good news is that the new GM (unknown yet) and Kurtinaitis will form the roster. The improvement is inevitable in this case. You can't fucked up more than Purlys and Co. did like last 5 years...
    Last edited by Straight forward; 06-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  20. #160
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,965
    Country: Canada

    Default

    So I see that within a year's time the club will be changing its name from "Lietuvos Rytas", probably in an effort to distance the club from its news syndicate ownership group. This is good. While "Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania's Morning)" is a good name for a newspaper, it's a really lousy name for a sports team.

    I'd suggest "Geležiniai Vilkai(Iron Wolves)" which would not only be a dynamic name but would reflect imagery traditionally associated with the city of Vilnius. Or to make the name less difficult for non-Lithuanians, simply "Vilkai". Vilnius Vilkai, now that's a team which I'd have no trouble supporting!



    Last edited by Hepcat; 06-21-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •