Vilnius Rytas Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    No suprise Zalgiris went for Vougioukas because Rytas frontline is really physical (Kavaliauskas, Gudaitis, Jucikas). I expect a lot from Gudaitis. He steadily adding skill and will start to outpowering and manhanling his opponents. Dude will be a tank. The question is who will feed him besides Janavicius, but he is already better at p&r than Lekavicius/Cherry. Is Laprovittola a good passer?

I see Zalgiris' backourt surely better than Rytas, but the frontline with Kavaliauskas and Gudaitis in the first place will go hard on Zalgiris. Will be fun to watch those matchups.
    I can assure you that Zalgiris signed Vougioukas not because of Rytas Club received additional money from Olybet, so could afford themselves another C, which was needed badly. Moreover Vougiuokas is not physical, he is quite soft, but can be very efficient in short periods of game, but tbh I wouldn't call Rytas frontcourt as such too. Kavaliauskas good offensive center, but foul prone at defense (like Vougioukas), Jucikas... nothing much to say here, Valeika in the making. Of course Gudaitis is toughest here, but as long as he won't improve his defensive skills, and won't start to be more versatile in offense, like creating his own shot, he won't be that hard to stop with team defensive efforts, especially against p'n'r, Gudaitis still too dependable on PG

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      I can assure you that Zalgiris signed Vougioukas not because of Rytas Club received additional money from Olybet, so could afford themselves another C, which was needed badly. Moreover Vougiuokas is not physical, he is quite soft, but can be very efficient in short periods of game, but tbh I wouldn't call Rytas frontcourt as such too. Kavaliauskas good offensive center, but foul prone at defense (like Vougioukas), Jucikas... nothing much to say here, Valeika in the making. Of course Gudaitis is toughest here, but as long as he won't improve his defensive skills, and won't start to be more versatile in offense, like creating his own shot, he won't be that hard to stop with team defensive efforts, especially against p'n'r, Gudaitis still too dependable on PG
      Well Zalgiris needed a center anyway. Vougioukas playing well back to the basket, skilled for a center, but also huge dude so should be tough enough even if not a power player. Kavaliauskas is though to handle. Zalgiris had troubles doing this last year. Again, Gudaitis is most intriguing. He's surely dependable on PG, but he made some steps further in terms of polishing his offence. I expect another strong leap and you never know how he will look at the end of the year. Too tough and too mobile to handle hopefully. I still think his position is 5 because he has advantage in mobility (quickness) playing this position. His feet is suprisingly fast, specially for offence. We'll see. However, Gudaitis migration made this season more interesting and he's by far highest upside big from Lithuanian top clubs this season (maybe Motum though, but I'm not sure yet who he is).
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

First title for Rytas. 85:84 beat Chimki and won Garastas' cup.

From what I've seen Rytas offence sucked (Lukauskis, Orelikas, Gailius, Giedraitis because of age...a lot of headless players that won't make a right decision unless some strange mood), but Laprovittola can play. Liked how Gudaitis was crashing the glass in some moments, he's getting stronger. Should work on his post game though to increase his offensive abilities. Well, beating Chimki is a real thing even for such tournament so a good start of the season.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Watched Rytas- Pieno Zvaigzdes match-up. Rytas is all about offence once again. Probably the biggest positive about this team is Laprovittola because he can pass and create. That's the biggest improvement since last season. Oveall I'm not impressed with this roster for some reason. I have an impression that Orelikas has no upside left anymore - he's playing the best basketball he can and I expect only slight improvement over years. Gailius, Runkauskas, Juskevicius, Janavicius, Lukauskas, washed out Ksistof are basically mediocre players, not those players you could get exited to watch the game, but probably a lot will depend on what this bunch can offer this year, the coherence. However, I still see this offensive minded and one-dimentional team (which simply can't play tough defence with this roster) standing little chance and after Laprivittola and Kavaliauskas due (not shinning at the defensive end to say the least) the only players who truly have serious and really intriguing upside are Giedraitis and Gudatis. If those latter won't make a serious leap (and it's hardly happening this year already) I can see Zalgiris taking the trophy again. However, it's already fun to watch Giedraitis. The guy is fast, agile, athletic, hungry. Hopefully Gudaitis can make some serious claims this season.
          Last edited by Straight forward; 10-08-2015, 08:06 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Yeah, been watching Giedraitis aswell. Seems he had no issues fitting in. Moves well without the ball, fights and is trigger happy wich I think at this age is a good thing. I expect big things out of him. Hands the the best prospect in LKL imo.

Comment

Writing this after 2nd quarter in game vs besiktas. You cant get mad that players are missing open looks and not delivering on the offence. But on defensive end... 49 pts allowed in a half... nothign has changed since last year.

Comment

Does Gudaitis understand in what kind of a shitty team he is right now.
                Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
                FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
                FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

Nicola is an idiot. More I watch Rytas, more reasons to say that. His obsession with Lukauskis can be grounded with anything, but the logic. Any time Lukauskis grabs the ball any combination stops, with his crab dribbling he usually end up doubled and locked, any time he's with the ball he wastes at least 4-5 seconds and he never creates anything simply passing out anywhere and possession is wasted, bricking shots. Like it wouldn't be enough he's slow coming of the screens, played crappy defence against Neptunas (the game is live now) and turned the ball over 3 times, but Nicola played him all 1rst quarter which was a nightmare. Yet Juskevicius and Runkauskas are not being used at 2 at all Combinations are primitive: either it's pick and roll or constant effort to derive three point shot. Off course, Juskevicius and Runkauskas are not very good defenders as well, but Lukauskas is just horrible, I don't understand how this washed out player (which didn't get NT invitations since 2009) still a starter in Nicolas team, he shouldn't be in the team in the first place. Off course, Rytas did "super job" letting Jasaitis go and they barely have solid options for 2. Now Orelikas is one of the most overrated Lith players at the moment. He's simply a stats padder, he can score when he's feeling it, but never plays good enough defence, usually chokes in important games and can't stick to rational basketball categories. Nicola can only scream and wave hands while he completely lost any control and any trust of the team and simply doesn't know what to do. I'm glad this mess happening right now because new coach still will have time at least to prepare Rytas properly for LKL knock out stage.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

And Nicola is out. It was more than obvious it's coming. Most players played below their abilities coached by Nicola. Rytas didn't have any identity. Good decision.

Now if rumours are correct - new coach is Pačėsas. Very ambivalent feelings come to my mind about this option. On on hand, he's strict, young, ambitious, not entirely inexperienced as Nicola was. On other hand, he's not known as great strategist to say the least, some of his remarks about NT candidates just goes beyond any reasons (he was one of those who seriously though Babrauskas is NT material), he tends to be overemotional during games and that might lead to inner conflicts. Currently Rytas would need high quality coach who would create priorities, hierarchy in the team and would make the best out of the best Rytas' players. I'm not sure Pačėsas can do it, but it's interesting if he's growing as a coach. He had couple of years just watching basketball and learning. He also watched how Kazlauskas with his academical basketball lead NT to great achievements. He might be a bit different than he was in Prokom. We'll see.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Here's my ideas what could be changed in terms of Rytas' system and rotation.

FOA, Lapravittola should be sifting from shoot-first PG to pass-first PG. He can really do it, at least skills wise, the question remains if he can do it mentally. He can really look for involving others in the first place because Rytas needs creators and he's the best one obviously. I've notice that when he's bringing his A game, Rytas can stay with any team and play really high level basketball. His problem however is that he tends to look for his shot too often and to make wrong decision, to take difficult shots. If Lapravittola can stick to passing and controlling offence - that would be a key moment for Rytas. Also, he's weak defensively and Pacesas should let him know that he's hitting the bench any time he's not trying in the defence. Janavičius should be the one who backs him up and sometimes even playing more because he's a good defender and controls the team pretty well. I wouldn't even use Juškevičius and Runkauskas at PG at all.

At 2 position Lukauskis moves out to the 3rd string SG or non rotational player from the starting line-up (a bit later about him). One of the main Rytas' problem is - very limited energy and ability to create in the perimeter. Lukauskis one of the biggest reasons here. I would probably put Gailius at 2 and would give him a bit of a green light here because he's probably the best slasher in the team and can really get it going when he's confident. Nicola tried to stick with Lukauskis because of defensive reasons, but it not only didn't work defensively, but entirely damaged Rytas' perimeter offence and eventually offence overall. Second SG should be Juškevičius who can really play well individually and be aggressive. He's best when he has offensive freedom and can look for his own shot. Also he is creative enough for a 2 position (experience at 1 helps him here). 3rd string SG should be Runkauskas/Lukauskis depending on situation because that's their level. Runkauskas is a low IQ player with limited motor. He can be useful, but I think he's just not exactly Rytas' material.

At 3 I would start Giedraitis who is terrific 3 point shooter and can be aggressive offensively. I also would let him do a lot offensively because he just feels the game and is effective scorer. He tends to have defensive problems and here Lukauskis could be handy. He could play more at 3 with his solid defence and in this position he wouldn't hurt offence so badly as he did while playing at 2.

As for 4 - I would consider starting Jucikas and maybe Gudaitis if he'll prove he can do it. Orelikas makes Rytas interior defence soft. Rytas needs some real body at 4 to make Rytas defence competitive. Orelikas should come of the bench and give offensive sparkle. Jucikas is one of the most pleasant surprises so far. With all respect to Ksistof, now he's kinda a ball stopper and very weak defensively, he also barely can hit his threes, he's basically done.

At 5 there should be no chances. It's solid position, just should be properly utilized.

Overall the hierarchy should be Kavaliauskas, Gudaitis, Gailius, Giedraitis and Lavravittola. Orelikas is very inefficient, opportunistic player. As I said with him Rytas is soft and offence sticks to his opportunistic individual efforts too much. Basically a lot will depend how Pačėsas can change the mind of Lapravittola and to make him more of a team player and how much leadership can such players as Gailius and Gudaitis (and hopefully Giedraitis) can put on their shoulders. They basically the only who hold that potential to rise Rytas to another level and the priority of new coach should be not only to find proper role for each player, but to make clear hierarchy. Now when Lukauskis has the same weight for the team as peaking Gailius, it's all mess...Looking forward to see how things turns out. Obviously this team won't be a great defensive team, but with bigger effort and coordinated offence - this team might look radically different after some time.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

And Nicola is out. It was more than obvious it's coming. Most players played below their abilities coached by Nicola. Rytas didn't have any identity. Good decision.

Now if rumours are correct - new coach is Pačėsas. Very ambivalent feelings come to my mind about this option. On on hand, he's strict, young, ambitious, not entirely inexperienced as Nicola was. On other hand, he's not known as great strategist to say the least, some of his remarks about NT candidates just goes beyond any reasons (he was one of those who seriously though Babrauskas is NT material), he tends to be overemotional during games and that might lead to inner conflicts. Currently Rytas would need high quality coach who would create priorities, hierarchy in the team and would make the best out of the best Rytas' players. I'm not sure Pačėsas can do it, but it's interesting if he's growing as a coach. He had couple of years just watching basketball and learning. He also watched how Kazlauskas with his academical basketball lead NT to great achievements. He might be a bit different than he was in Prokom. We'll see.

What about Pačėsas' relations to Dzūkija? Isn't he the owner (or co-owner) of the club? Would it be legal for him to be a head coach of Rytas (or any other LKL club but Dzūkija)?
                        Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

Comment

Here's my ideas what could be changed in terms of Rytas' system and rotation.

As for 4 - I would consider starting Jucikas and maybe Gudaitis if he'll prove he can do it. Orelikas makes Rytas interior defence soft. Rytas needs some real body at 4 to make Rytas defence competitive. Orelikas should come of the bench and give offensive sparkle. Jucikas is one of the most pleasant surprises so far. With all respect to Ksistof, now he's kinda a ball stopper and very weak defensively, he also barely can hit his threes, he's basically done.
                          I thought this bad rytas season start that 3 players laprovitola,giedraitis ad Ksistof was the only brighter players on the floor.He is almost done as players i agree,but still is effective for 15min game and not only makes 3pointers and but draws smart fauls and puts free throws in , in those moments when rytas cant score.But maybe we wathched different rytas games.Those games i watched Kssitof was very solid in his limited minutes. For example like game agains zenit ksistof played very important role in that 2 half comeback.In this years rytas their are way worse players than 36years old Ksistof including Orelikas...

Rytas wont win against zalgiris if they think they can put Orelikas against Jankunas.Paulius is destroying him everytime inside.

Who from rytas team can guard Jankunas ? if they wont find a player than can slow him down,they have no chance in the lkl final.
                          Last edited by Shawshank; 11-17-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                            I thought this bad rytas season start that 3 players laprovitola,giedraitis ad Ksistof was the only brighter players on the floor.
                            Yeah, I probably missed couple of good games by Kistof, he surely uses his experience while drawing fouls, can score here and there, but he' so slow, his perimeter shot became so flat (he missed everything against Siauliai) and it's not the first time I notice he's missing wide open threes which used to be a money for him. The thing is that he can only cover veteran's role and he won't fill 4 position. As for stopping Jankunas I would go with Jucikas and Gudaitis. Jankunas still would make trouble for them, but it would be better choice. On the positive note for Rytas, they didn't yet have Gudautis basically so it's a big reserve. He's having a horrific start of the season with little injuries. But when he's healthy he basically doesn't have competition at 5 in LKL. He will dominate LKL. And surely would give a lift in higher level as Eurocup and the games against Zalgiris/Neptunas in local competition.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Gudaitis right now got some kind of bad karma most likely of those childish excuses and his acts why he left zalgiris.For me that was mistake for this young player.Firstly he got injury in national team camp and coulndt normally compete for the spot with sabonis and now this injury.Leave zalgiris and euroleague to go to play in uleb very strange desicion.What will happen if rytas wont qualife from group? he will play 4 uleb games and thats all in entire season? Basically he would had have Vougiukas minutes in euroleague,if he would have stayed Vougiukas wouldnt even be in zalgiris team this year.Right now both zalgiris and vougiukas looks like winners in this situation and gudaitis losser after this his strange desicion.

That young men need to fix his head and his attitude and he should be ok in the future.I dont recall any other young lithuanian player that would say i dont wanna be part of zalgiris team.And last year he got really good minutes in euroleague and got some good games too (before injury).
                              Last edited by Shawshank; 11-18-2015, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                                Gudaitis right now got some kind of bad karma most likely of those childish excuses and his acts why he left zalgiris.For me that was mistake for this young player.Firstly he got injury in national team camp and coulndt normally compete for the spot with sabonis and now this injury.Leave zalgiris and euroleague to go to play in uleb very strange desicion.What will happen if rytas wont qualife from group? he will play 4 uleb games and thats all in entire season? Basically he would had have Vougiukas minutes in euroleague,if he would have stayed Vougiukas wouldnt even be in zalgiris team this year.Right now both zalgiris and vougiukas looks like winners in this situation and gudaitis losser after this his strange desicion.

That young men need to fix his head and his attitude and he should be ok in the future.I dont recall any other young lithuanian player that would say i dont wanna be part of zalgiris team.And last year he got really good minutes in euroleague and got some good games too (before injury).
                                Yeah, he srewed up big time. He will be a good example for other future talents that if you have a place in Zalgiris, dont leave it for fools gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information