View Poll Results: Who will be the 3 Qualifiers?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Canada

13 23.21%
  • Croatia

7 12.50%
  • Czech Republic

0 0%
  • France

37 66.07%
  • Greece

16 28.57%
  • Italy

25 44.64%
  • Latvia

3 5.36%
  • Mexico

0 0%
  • New Zealand

0 0%
  • Phillippines

7 12.50%
  • Puerto Rico

2 3.57%
  • Serbia

44 78.57%
  • Turkey

2 3.57%
  • Other (Iran, Japan, Senegal, Tunisia)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to Rio 2016: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

while the idea of changing the Olympic basketball tournament into a U22 competition is not considered at this point. As the head of FIBA communications Patrick Koller said: “If you ask Messi he will tell you he wants to win the World Cup. If you ask LeBron James he will tell you that he wants to win the Olympics, so we will go the other way and try to grow our World Cup, not make the Olympics an U22 tournament”.
    http://www.eurohoops.net/2015/09/featured/125602

Atleast smth good

Turkish federation has applied for one of the group hosting.

With Canada, Greece, France, Italy and the Serbia-Lithuania loser all vying for just 3 Olympic spots, the qualifying tournaments are gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    With Canada, Greece, France, Italy and the Serbia-Lithuania loser all vying for just 3 Olympic spots, the qualifying tournaments are gonna be awesome.
    It ought to be an interesting summer next year. It'll be tough sledding for the Canadians going up against the European powers. But confidence is as important as skill/talent, and if Canada can get past these traditional powers during qualifying stage, they can build upon that entering the Olympic tournament. As far as talent and depth, Canada may not be as stacked as the US, but most of them have been schooled in the tactics of North American basketball (pressure defense, emphasis on rebounding, attacking the rim, fast-breaking and secondary breaking). If they can implement some effective half-court sets, Canada should be in good shape.

And if Asian World-level regulars Iran and China fail to win it all in FIBA Asia this year, things just might get even more crazier.

Wow, the Olympic qualifiers is definitely going to be crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    And if Asian World-level regulars Iran and China fail to win it all in FIBA Asia this year, things just might get even more crazier.

Wow, the Olympic qualifiers is definitely going to be crazy.
    With all the respect to Iran or China, I don't think they stands a chance to give some good fight to these teams. It's all or nothing for them in this year's FIBA Asia IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    With all the respect to Iran or China, I don't think they stands a chance to give some good fight to these teams. It's all or nothing for them in this year's FIBA Asia IMO
    Agreed. That was just me hoping our team wins it all this year. All or nothing for everyone in Asia this year.

By the way, I like it how things are different for Asia in the next Olympic Games. For one, AUS and NZL don't qualify for the 2020 Olympics at the same time. At least we only need to be in the Top 3 of our group in the WC qualifiers, then become the best Asian team in the 2019 WC and Tokyo, here we come.

I have a question, though. Can AUS and NZL qualify at the same time in the 2024 Olympics?
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Agreed. That was just me hoping our team wins it all this year. All or nothing for everyone in Asia this year.

By the way, I like it how things are different for Asia in the next Olympic Games. For one, AUS and NZL don't qualify for the 2020 Olympics at the same time. At least we only need to be in the Top 3 of our group in the WC qualifiers, then become the best Asian team in the 2019 WC and Tokyo, here we come.

I have a question, though. Can AUS and NZL qualify at the same time in the 2024 Olympics?
    Thread title: OQT - Road To Rio 2016

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    If they bring their teams back I wouldn't dismiss the Czech Republic/Latvia winner either, and then there's the possibility of a country like Turkey hosting. It will definitely be intense.
    Pistons: 2019-2020 Blow it up, just blow it all up.

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojado View Post
    Thread title: OQT - Road To Rio 2016
    Yeah, IKR.

I hate to admit it, but Asian teams are the weakest in the world stage, lol.

I mean, our ancestors in the 1950's and 1960's were pretty much the only good Asian team back then, until everyone else in Asia learned how to play the game and they eventually have overtaken us. In the 2000's we sucked hard, but at least we're gaining some ground in the 2010's.

Now in our present generation pretty much the only good teams in Asia are Iran and China. Never mind that China actually beat Spain in 2008, Lebanon actually beat France in the 2006 WC (IIRC), and did Becirovic say that Iran actually beat Serbia before, cant remember when exactly or if it did really happen.

"The way for the weak to beat the strong and remain weak", indeed.

Yeah, IKR.

I hate to admit it, but Asian teams are the weakest in the world stage, lol.

I mean, our ancestors in the 1950's and 1960's were pretty much the only good Asian team back then, until everyone else in Asia learned how to play the game and they eventually have overtaken us. In the 2000's we sucked hard, but at least we're gaining some ground in the 2010's.

Now in our present generation pretty much the only good teams in Asia are Iran and China. Never mind that China actually beat Spain in 2008, Lebanon actually beat France in the 2006 WC (IIRC), and did Becirovic say that Iran actually beat Serbia before, cant remember when exactly or if it did really happen.

"The way for the weak to beat the strong and remain weak", indeed.
    Dude, this thread is about the Olympic Qualification Tournament, please stay on that topic, thank you.

In other news: France won't be hosting one of those tournaments since it's too expensive according to their fed-president.

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

(IIRC) did Becirovic say that Iran actually beat Serbia before, cant remember when exactly or if it did really happen.
    Yes...I believe it was the 2008 FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament in Nanjing.

Regardless of how the Final QT ends FIBA America will have 4 teams at the Olympics. What are the odds Europe beats that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Regardless of how the Final QT ends FIBA America will have 4 teams at the Olympics. What are the odds Europe beats that?
    Beats it? Decent odds. Ties it? Good odds.

Really Canada's the only team outside of Europe I see snagging one of those three spots, but hey Nigeria broke through last time so who knows.

The Canadians gained some valuable fiba experience this summer. If the same core players return next year and sprinkle in Tristan Thompson and Jamal Murray, they will be a monster next summer.

Spain and Lithuania go to Rio. The next five advance to qualifiers . So happy Lithuania will not need to play these qualifiers. Saves us some time .
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

So it seems it will be 2 groups of 3 in each of tournament. If that's true, that's really good decision, less useless games, more intrigue that it would be in round robin format with 6 teams

So it seems it will be 2 groups of 3 in each of tournament. If that's true, that's really good decision, less useless games, more intrigue that it would be in round robin format with 6 teams
    Not to mention Round Robin is much more tiring to the teams.

So two groups of three then the top teams play each other? That actually makes a good deal of sense. Cuts it down to a manageable three games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Beats it? Decent odds. Ties it? Good odds.

Really Canada's the only team outside of Europe I see snagging one of those three spots, but hey Nigeria broke through last time so who knows.
    Europe would have to get all three of the spots to beat it. I think that would be highly unlikely unless the draw just screws over Canada. The 15 teams that qualify this year and the three host spots(or extra spots if one of the already qualified teams host) could shake out in such that France and Serbia in up in the same event.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast