View Poll Results: Who will be the 3 Qualifiers?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Canada

13 23.21%
  • Croatia

7 12.50%
  • Czech Republic

0 0%
  • France

37 66.07%
  • Greece

16 28.57%
  • Italy

25 44.64%
  • Latvia

3 5.36%
  • Mexico

0 0%
  • New Zealand

0 0%
  • Phillippines

7 12.50%
  • Puerto Rico

2 3.57%
  • Serbia

44 78.57%
  • Turkey

2 3.57%
  • Other (Iran, Japan, Senegal, Tunisia)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to Rio 2016: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    I've noticed many articles claiming that dropping the olympics is in accord with the NBA as they don't like the fact int. olympic comitee gets all the $ there. I'm sure you'll be glad to explain to me where exactly is Adam Silver coming from than?
    That's fine but it will never change the fact that the cream of the crop of nba players will never treat a fiba World Cup like the Olympics no matter what financial arrangement is arranged. And my biggest point is that if I am a European or South American basketball fan I want to continue the current formats because this is the only way they can make strides. I truly believe that the 2002,2004, and 2006 USA defeats never occur without the bludgeonings of 1992, 1994, and 1996.

I personaly believe that was a mix of coaching, sub-optimal talent, underestimation and lack of training at that point. While those old dream teams trully had the talent european countries just couldn't compare with.

I don't want to see the US lose to other teams because they'd brind a D, E, or Z team, while I'd be glad if they lost due to one team closing the gap, as impossible as that sounds at this moment.
    It's kind of the same with the olympics, I'm not entirely indifferent to the subject as Olympic tournaments were one of the best bball competitions I've seen, however I can understand FIba having troubles by marketing the 2nd tier competition. World championship might never have the reach of the olympics, but has the room to grow imo and I see the logic in what FIFA has done in 92' I believe... Won't be the end of the world either way this plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

philippines will win the gold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]NEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

FIBA announced the criteria to participate in the three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.

Five teams from Europe will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 3rd to 7th at Eurobasket.

Three teams from Africa will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 2nd to 4th at Afrobasket.

Three teams from America will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 3rd to 5th at Americas Championship.

One team from Oceania will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: the second at Oceania Championship.

Three teams from Asia will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 2nd to 4th at Asia Championship.

All teams participating at 2015 FIBA Continental Championships are elegible to host one of the three 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQT). Organisers will be selected in principle amongst teams already qualified for the OQT or amongst the best non-qualified teams for the OQT. If a team already qualified is approved as host, the best non-qualified team(s) from the respective continent will be invited to participate.

If Brazil finishes in the top 2, the 3rd place team will qualify for Rio 2016 and the 6th place team will participate in the OQT. If Brazil finishes 3rd to 5th place, the 6th place team will qualify for the OQT.

The winners of each OQT will get the pass for Rio 2016.
    http://www.sportando.com/en/national...urnaments.html

This is not correct i'm afraid.

Europe 3rd to 7th=5 teams
    America3rd to 5th=3 teams
    Africa + Asia 2nd to 4th=6 teams
    Oceania= runner-up
    Total=15 teams... Something is missing. FIBA released a OQT of 18 teams.

The format for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Men will see three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs) consisting of six teams each, with the winning team from each event earning a berth for Rio 2016. The Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Women will remain with its proven format of a 12-teams tournament, from which 5 teams will qualify to Rio 2016. The four tournaments (3 men and 1 Women) will be held in June/July 2016.
    My point of view: Asia and Africa ,both with 3 teams. America with 5 teams, Europe with 6 teams and Oceania's runner-up.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    This is not correct i'm afraid.

Europe 3rd to 7th=5 teams
    America3rd to 5th=3 teams
    Africa + Asia 2nd to 4th=6 teams
    Oceania= runner-up
    Total=15 teams... Something is missing. FIBA released a OQT of 18 teams.
    +3 hosts of OQT, almost equal to wildcards

Sabonis said that to organize OQT would cost around 1.7mln euros, it would be too expensive for Lithuania

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Sabonis said that to organize OQT would cost around 1.7mln euros, it would be too expensive for Lithuania
    I don't really want this to happen in Lithuania knowing how NT performs at Zalgiris Kaunas arena Just unnecessary, maximum pressure...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I don't really want this to happen in Lithuania knowing how NT performs at Zalgiris Kaunas arena Just unnecessary, maximum pressure...
    Yeah, our NT is like Brasil NT in football, is doin' better away from home, without all that unnecessary pressure. Also this 1.7mln is just starting price, it might get higher if more candidates will make a bid. So if we would qualify to OQT better play it somewhere else in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
    So now we know, why FIBA changed the qualification round: They need money! They want to sell the three qualification tournaments and the hosts in return will earn a wild card

Let me guess - the hosts will be ... Qatar, Germany and Russia?

Get used to it. There was no need for change. Big sports organizations like FIBA FIFA make changes when only there is a new opportunity to make more money.

Definite money grab, one interesting thing about it is that if one of the teams that qualifies for the tournament also hosts the next best team from that region gets an invite. So hypothetically if Greece finished third at Eurobasket and won the rights to host the 8th best team from Europe would get to participate.

As for who's going to host I imagine if China doesn't win Asia Basket they're a lock for one.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Toronto suddenly looks like a very appealing host.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Toronto suddenly looks like a very appealing host.
    Berlin might be too. Was listening to Dirk's interview after the game vs Spain, reporter asked him if he'd play if Germany would host OQT next year... Dirk was intrigued for a moment as he wasn't aware of such possibility, said smth like "we'll see, don't want to talk about it now". I guess Germany has it in plans too

I do hope this is not yet the last for Dirk in FIBA.
    #NowIsTheTime #WeBelieve #China2019 #LabanPilipinas! #PUSO

So I would like to ask you guys, what would convince the best NBA players today (esp the US ones) to play for their national teams in the WC and treat it with just as much prestige as the Olympics?

Now, please don't say it's just plain impossible, let me know what you think about this first.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    So I would like to ask you guys, what would convince the best NBA players today (esp the US ones) to play for their national teams in the WC and treat it with just as much prestige as the Olympics?

Now, please don't say it's just plain impossible, let me know what you think about this first.
    I can ask myself, what me, as a fan, would convince to take World Cup as seriously as Olympics? The answer is - nothing. From now on (2017 onwards) I'll take World Cup more seriously than pre-Olympic Eurobasket, cause they've exchanged seats as Olympics qualifiers, but it still remains as qualifier to Olympics. The same way players are thinking, atleast that I know from our NT. I suppose it's not much different World-wise. Olympics are Olympics, it's dream of every sportmen, nothing can change that.
    Only thing that can forbid players to play there, some age restrictions

I can ask myself, what me, as a fan, would convince to take World Cup as seriously as Olympics? The answer is - nothing. From now on (2017 onwards) I'll take World Cup more seriously than pre-Olympic Eurobasket, cause they've exchanged seats as Olympics qualifiers, but it still remains as qualifier to Olympics. The same way players are thinking, atleast that I know from our NT. I suppose it's not much different World-wise. Olympics are Olympics, it's dream of every sportmen, nothing can change that.
    Only thing that can forbid players to play there, some age restrictions
    What do you think of making Olympic qualifiers U23 (excluding WC itself I think) if Olympic ball itself will be U23? Won't that force NBA players over 23 to play for their NT's in the WC instead of the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    What do you think of making Olympic qualifiers U23 (excluding WC itself I think) if Olympic ball itself will be U23? Won't that force NBA players over 23 to play for their NT's in the WC instead of the Olympics?
    I don't know, it's individual. IMO prohibition to play in Olympics won't make World Cup more valuable. As I said - Olympics is Olympics. Way more prestigious event, so players who didn't care about World Cup before won't care after IMO.
    Anyways, I hope that no restrictions will be taken

I don't know, it's individual. IMO prohibition to play in Olympics won't make World Cup more valuable. As I said - Olympics is Olympics. Way more prestigious event, so players who didn't care about World Cup before won't care after IMO.
    Anyways, I hope that no restrictions will be taken
    I hope so too. Olympic ball is just too important to be thrown down the drain.

I think for FIBA it is very important to build a strong image around the World Cup, in order to turn it interesting for the televisions worldwide. Included in the Olympics, the basketball tournament itself will never have the media highlight when compared to what a solo basketball competition would atract. This is what moves FIBA to promote the WC as its flagship event, instead of the Olympics. Beside the fact that the Olympics run in a very strict logistics and schedule which impede FIBA to adjust format (eg, increasing the number of participants, etc.) and manage it as a conventional FIBA competition. In this particular issue, I support FIBA in its campaign to promote the WC as the major basketball competition, instead of a simple Olympic Qualifier.
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast