View Poll Results: Who will be the 3 Qualifiers?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Canada

13 23.21%
  • Croatia

7 12.50%
  • Czech Republic

0 0%
  • France

37 66.07%
  • Greece

16 28.57%
  • Italy

25 44.64%
  • Latvia

3 5.36%
  • Mexico

0 0%
  • New Zealand

0 0%
  • Phillippines

7 12.50%
  • Puerto Rico

2 3.57%
  • Serbia

44 78.57%
  • Turkey

2 3.57%
  • Other (Iran, Japan, Senegal, Tunisia)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to Rio 2016: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Default Road to Rio 2016: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

The format for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Men will see three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs) consisting of six teams each, with the winning team from each event earning a berth for Rio 2016. The Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Women will remain with its proven format of a 12-teams tournament, from which 5 teams will qualify to Rio 2016. The four tournaments (3 men and 1 Women) will be held in June/July 2016.
    http://www.fiba.com/news/decisions-a...oard-concludes

Quote Originally Posted by Federoy View Post
    I'm interested to see how this will work. I wonder if it'll be three opportunities during three separate tournaments (dates spaced apart) for teams to earn an Olympic berth or will it be three tournaments running simultaneously, and out of those three, the victorious teams receive an Olympic berth. I hope that doesn't sound confusing.
    I guessit will be just 3 separate groups playin' at the same time and winner gets it all. Anyway what's interested me the most for now - how these 6 new places will be shared? Continentanl competitions is just around the corner so would be good to know

I'm not sure if I like this. IMO every group should be created 2 teams from Europe, 2 South America/Canada, 1 Asia/Oceania and 1 Africa. In Europe and South America this makes sense. If you win your eight final game you will achieve something. And is it just every team against every team or is there final for best two?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyh View Post
    I'm not sure if I like this. IMO every group should be created 2 teams from Europe, 2 South America/Canada, 1 Asia/Oceania and 1 Africa. In Europe and South America this makes sense. If you win your eight final game you will achieve something. And is it just every team against every team or is there final for best two?
    There'll be no finals, just 3 different groups - who wins each - goes to Rio. So a draw will mean A LOT here

A group of six teams after 2, 3 days becomes meaningless for the teams, which have lost their first couple of games. And it becomes boring for the viewers. This would be a very unattractive competition system. You cold create two groups of 3 and then in a final between the two group winners decide, who goes to Rio. And that in three different tournaments (located in three different contintents, which would be fair)? At the end of June / beginning July (right after NBA playoffs)?

For me this is a little too high-flown for determining only the last three teams for Rio. I don't like this.

I don't get why 18? If you want some expansion - make it regular 16 (4 of 4), winners and runner ups goes throught, quarterfinals, semis and 3rd place game to decide final ticket to Rio. The same 5-6 games, but most very important/exciting, also the ones which lost their chances doesn't have to bother themselves and play few more meaningless games after long season. I guess FIBA with this decision tried to get rid of only one hosting continent, cause there were lot of noise 4 years back, when Olympics were held in Europe, qualies in Venesuela, cause they just paid more...that resulted only into lot of unnecessary travelling, let alone that winners should've reached top shape two times in ~4 weeks. It was insane and nearly impossible

Fiba obviously decided not to let go of the Olympic tournament but monetize a qualification tournaments instead. Imo they should stick to their original plan and made U20 teams participate at the olympics, making the world championship the no.1 tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Wow fiba going nowhere with this... basically eurobaskets from 2017 will be meaningless...no stars will play there.What will be the point for best european players play in eurobaskets? no tickets to nowhere.Most likely this eurobasket2015 will be the last one true eurobasket that we all are used to.
    2018 summer will be without any men tournament.

Fiba is doing everyhting that World cup would become main event in basketall,not olympics or pre olympic eurobasket.I dont like it. And that 6 teams group is funny and only winner gets olympic ticket.

Actualy come to think of it, they probably can't make the changes for Rio already, but it will be interesting how the competition will be played in 2020.

Shawnshark, I understand them in this case. Olympic comitee has repeatedly declined expansion to 16 teams, while they are taking loads of money on behalf of basketball, Fiba is left with 0 and less money for the world championship which is considered as a second tier accordingly, that's like giving out money for free. I think if they want the sport to grow, creating a better world championship as a top1 tier NT competition is a must. However without that idiotic wild cards and simmilar things.
    Changing the pace to a big competition every 2 years is a courageous move, we'll see how it'll work out, however with all the absences which are partly due to those tournaments being played every single year, it might just bring something positive.
    We'll see how all of this will pan out, however from stricktly marketing perspective a lot of stuff they are doing makes sense. As much as I love the fact I'm able to watch a major tournament every year, that brings an inflation of the attention to most regulary fans.
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Actualy come to think of it, they probably can't make the changes for Rio already, but it will be interesting how the competition will be played in 2020.
    It'll be for Rio already as they stated in their announcement - mens qualies will change, womens will stay the same. Regarding those new 6 places, it'd be freaking "amazing" if FIBA will make them as wildcards

FIBA are just launching a new World Cup, which from 1919 on shall be the qualification tournament for the Olympics. Is there really any need to change the recent system in a panic reaction one year before it will be buried forever? I remember a lot of empty seats in the recent "Additional Olympic qualification rounds" in Caracas 2012 as well as in Athens 2008, when the hosts were not on court. And it will be same in 2016 - it doesn't matter, where these three tournaments will be located. Why blow this joke up to 18 teams?

What major tournaments every year are you looking forward to, @JPF?

Eurobasket (like the other continental championships ) will be played only every four years. Without the thrill of the Olympic tickets these tournaments will become more meaningless. Already in recent years you could see, that the Eurobasket editions, where the Olympic tickets were at stake, had much more NBA players. If it's only about becoming Eurobasket Champ, they prefer to go to the beach.

And how thrilling this new huge World Cup will be with 32 clubs, when in the first rounds Spain or France destroy teams like Taiwan or Cameroon 100-50?

Read again what I've wrote regading looking forward to a major tournament every single year with the whole context You might want to do that instead of believing you already know my opinion about everything related with Fiba.

They want to spread the tournament to more countries based on how eurobasket worked for them. And since they're halving the number of their tournaments, do you believe it would be good to exclude as many teams?
    Haven't seen all that many blowouts as you're suggesting and eventhough I haven't paid particular interest to Taiwan, they'll probably have to qualify there first before being blown out. On the opposite I've seen some improvements and some good performances from some of the teams you consider unworthy of participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I guessit will be just 3 separate groups playin' at the same time and winner gets it all. Anyway what's interested me the most for now - how these 6 new places will be shared? Continentanl competitions is just around the corner so would be good to know
    Another thought occurred to me. How will FIBA divide the teams? If they use a simple random draw system to select six teams per group, I could see a scenario where a group of death could be created randomly, thereby making it more difficult for more deserving teams to compete at the Olympics.

FIBA should opt for one of two paths:

DIVERSITY

A) Divide the three groups by zones featuring only teams from those zones: European, Americas, Asian/Africa & New Zealand

B) Use a "weighted" combination where the better teams from each zone (say Tunisia) are pitted against moderate teams from another zone (say Ukraine) in group play.

STRENGTH

A) Use a pot or tiered method where the strongest teams are separated in different groups, ensuring that the better teams have greater odds to earn a bid.

B) Instead of a round-robin, establish a single-elimination system where FIBA chooses two top seeds in each group and gives them a bye.
    Last edited by Federoy; 08-13-2015 at 12:23 AM.

I can't imagine random draw, it'd be too much even for FIBA I guess it will be the same way they did in previous OQTs, in one pot they'll put all Euro teams, in other Americas+Oceania, in 3rd Asia+Africa. Of course, for that to happen these 6 new places should be divided by 2 in each pot. I think that would be fair way to do.

Ok, so judging by this new "Road to Rio" picture

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/road_t...io2016_men.jpg

Europe, Asia and Africa have got additional places + 3 hosts (if qualified, then place goes to best non-qualified team)

So now we know, why FIBA changed the qualification round: They need money! They want to sell the three qualification tournaments and the hosts in return will earn a wild card

Let me guess - the hosts will be ... Qatar, Germany and Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
    Qatar, Germany and Russia?
    Qatar is valid choice but I think China is even more likely. Turkey is second host and Canada is third.

I'm not fan of this system but in the other hand; more games, more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Fiba obviously decided not to let go of the Olympic tournament but monetize a qualification tournaments instead. Imo they should stick to their original plan and made U20 teams participate at the olympics, making the world championship the no.1 tournament.
    I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan. No matter what age restrictions they place on the Olympic tournament the World Championships can never equal the prestige of an Olympic gold medal to an American player. Therefore if it's the only game in town it will lead to the USA fielding B and C teams.
    You will never again see the worlds greatest players in international tournaments. That's the flaw in the thinking that since the nba greats are not eligible for the Olympics they will now participate in the fiba cup. I guarantee you they won't. The draw for the American player is that Olympic gold medal that has tradition and meaning. You can't manufacture that. But like I said it would give the world an opportunity to win again, something that over the recent years is starting to look impossible again similar to the 1990's.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan.
    Since Olympics are way more important in Lithuania (and Europe), I believe you rarely could meet a person who would like to see some U20 or like in football U23 teams with 3 senior players playin' in Olympics instead regular NT. The same goes to majority of players. That feeling of importance, spirit of the Olympics itself would be much bigger loss than some better placing or even gold medal. It'd be almost regular youth tournament

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan. No matter what age restrictions they place on the Olympic tournament the World Championships can never equal the prestige of an Olympic gold medal to an American player. Therefore if it's the only game in town it will lead to the USA fielding B and C teams.
    You will never again see the worlds greatest players in international tournaments. That's the flaw in the thinking that since the nba greats are not eligible for the Olympics they will now participate in the fiba cup. I guarantee you they won't. The draw for the American player is that Olympic gold medal that has tradition and meaning. You can't manufacture that. But like I said it would give the world an opportunity to win again, something that over the recent years is starting to look impossible again similar to the 1990's.
    I've noticed many articles claiming that dropping the olympics is in accord with the NBA as they don't like the fact int. olympic comitee gets all the $ there. I'm sure you'll be glad to explain to me where exactly is Adam Silver coming from than?

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast