Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall Blacks vs Boomers : Olympic qualifier 2015

Tale of the Tape: Tall Blacks vs Boomers
    It’s time to rumble! The famous line rattled out just before any big boxing match. For the Tall Blacks Olympic qualifying series vs the Boomers that starts in Melbourne this Saturday , it doesn’t get much bigger than this. (this could be the last direct Olympic qualifier series as FIBA moves to new format after Rio)
    Let’s breakdown the big game (a Tale of the tape of the big match so to speak) .

But first a look at the preparation: The Tall Blacks are back in Auckland before they fly out to Melbourne this Wednesday, after a grueling 3 week Europe and China build up. The team played a total of 8 games (1 practice game vs Great Britain), game days included morning practice while off days had 2 practice sessions a day, that’s a lot of basketball and Travel ! ) . The tour was a balancing act of having to give playing time on court to develop as a cohesive unit and ensuring players remain healthy. Aside from Leon Henry being unavailable for a few games and Corey Webster having minor health issues the team has been generally healthy. A late development however is backup forward Duane Bailey was hospitalised with suspected appendicitis. Dion Prewster, who was in Auckland, came in as training cover, Caoch Henare has a decision to make on a permanent replacement presumably between Henry and Prewster, as soon as more is known about Bailey's condition

Aside from Corey Webster being a scoring machine, a revelation in the tour was how offensive versatile and proficient big man Isaac Fotu is, despite the Tall Blacks and Isaac being undersize in the games vs Croatia, Slovenia and Mexico (had 2 quality bigs) the games demonstrated Isaac can more than hold his own inside the paint. . A revelation was his ability to create his own shots down low against bigger defenders. His constant motor to get rebounds was also impressive. How he matches up against Boomers Bogut and Baynes will really be key and intriguing. It would just be mind boggling if Isaac can hold his own against legitimate NBA starting centers. While Tai Wynyard got limited playing time in the tour he is virtually our only legitimate size center , don’t be surprised if we see Tai get some court time against Australia,. As they say you need all the bodies you can get.
    The Tall Blacks while obviously undersize., will use speed , smarts and good old Kiwi hustle to combat the disadvantage in size. While our team will be relying significantly on key players Fotu, Webster, Abercombrie and captain Vukona, Paul Henare has been able to develop a well balanced team with players knowing specifically their roles. Loe another stretch 4 type of big will be backing up Issac and Mika inside, Bartlet and Te- Rangi have proven to be able quality back-up wings to Thomas and Corey. While Tait and Kenny are likely to split duties at the point. Surprising though is Henare’s use of Reuben Te- Rangi for stretches as a point guard. That looks to be our main rotation with Ili, Bailey’s replacement and Tai rounding up the final line-up.

The return of San Antonio Spurs star Patty Mills to replace the injured Dante Exum kind of throws a wrench into the whole approach that the Tall Blacks were basing their preparations on.
    While the Tall Blacks were neither surprised with Mills inclusion , they’re not particularly concerned by the late addition of the Australian sharpshooter. Obviously Patty is dynamic scorer with NBA experience but he also changes their team’s planned approach a bit. Whether positively or negatively remains to be seen. While Mills has such an impact on how the Boomers play. They've only got a week to incorporate that into what they've been doing the last couple of weeks in Europe. From a tactical point of view a Patty Mills oriented team is a different dimension to what a more methodical Dante Exum game would present. It will be interesting to see how this pans out and it if it changes the approach the Tall Blacks execute in the game. Note the Tall Black preparations was geared to combat a Patty Mills less Australia team
    Aside from Mills and Bogut , NBA players Dellavedova, Ingles and Newley are expected to be the Boomers key contributors.
    After all the preparation it has come down to this : Saturday: Tall Blacks vs Boomers : It’s time to rumble !
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Nice write-up, man. Even tho timing is really bad to watch it in LT, looking forward to it too especially since my hometown club Zalgiris signed Boomer Motum recently and he plays not the last role in Boomers squad, so I'm interested how he'll do. I followed Australian games against our LT NT, quite surprisingly (since we were only couple of days after physical preps) we won both, wasn't too impressed by Aussies, sure couple of weeks gone by and now they're more ready, but this Mills addition I'm afraid can make them only worse, especially knowing how tough season he had and he loves to be leader in NT - it might be very harmful.
    Btw, what's up with Tall Blacks missings/injuries? I know Steven Adams didn't suit up again (why?), also don't see Kirk Penney, did he retired from NT or somekind of injury? Are there any others I'm missing?

Comment

^
      Thanks, Australia is a 15 plus favorite simply on talent alone, but whenever these 2 teams play it's always closer than expected. Nice to hear someone from Lithuania, i refered the Tall Blacks to play last year in Lithuania, and actually have a good friend there. Yes coming into this game NZ actually looked better than how Australia played in the warm up games, I think Aus lost 5 straight games which is unheard of .
      On steven Adams , he was supposed to play but because OKC thunder changed coaches, that approval was withdrawn at least unofficially , the new coach Donovan wants to see him early in camp. Kirk Penny has retired from international play. he in fact is moving back to the Australian NBL from Europe. Oh the key guys are the ones i mentioned , in terms of potential I think Fotu has a shot of making the NBA next year, while 17 year old Tai Wynyard is heading to Kentucky Uni and hopefully the NBA in 2 to 3 years.. I hope to visit your basketball crazy country oneday
      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

This qualification process is plain silly. It is well past time to fold Oceania into Asia and be done with this farce.
        The WC qualification is even more silly and I don't even know why they play a match when both teams effectively get auto-bids.

And the Tall Black's aren't concerned with Patty Mills? I highly doubt that as he is Oz's best player and light years better than Exum.

That's said...good luck Kiwi's. May you rain on Oz's parade once again.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
          This qualification process is plain silly. It is well past time to fold Oceania into Asia and be done with this farce.
          The WC qualification is even more silly and I don't even know why they play a match when both teams effectively get auto-bids.

And the Tall Black's aren't concerned with Patty Mills? I highly doubt that as he is Oz's best player and light years better than Exum.

That's said...good luck Kiwi's. May you rain on Oz's parade once again.
          For years, I've been on board with either eliminating the Oceania Zone or at least making it more challenging. I like how FIFA administers their qualification process: the winner of the Ocean Zone (9 times out of 10, New Zealand) has to play the fourth place team from CONCACAF to gain entry in the World Cup. FIBA should establish something similar, perhaps making the winner of the Oceania Zone play the fifth place Eurobasket team or the fourth place FIBA Americas Championship team.

Comment

If I recall correctly, it'll change in upcoming years, will be smth like Asia-Pacific championship

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              If I recall correctly, it'll change in upcoming years, will be smth like Asia-Pacific championship
              True... as of 2017 Asia+Oceania will be playing under Asia-Pacific... and 7 teams in total would qualify to next WC.

Qualification_WC.jpgschema_Qualif_WC_A.jpg

Comment

Somebody please post a replay of the full game when it's done. Thanks!

In a side note, Henare had merits when he said that the late addition of Mills could have a negative effect on the Boomers' team chemistry. We'll see later.
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                  Somebody please post a replay of the full game when it's done. Thanks!
                  Game will be broadcasted (you can watch after too) via livebasketball.tv, but not free for this event I'm afraid

Anyways, glad that I was wrong regarding starting time, daytime in LT, so will enjoy the show. Wishing a good game for Brock Motum, but have more sympathies for Tall Blacks tho

Comment

Boomers leading Tallblacks at halftime 34 to 26, Boomers laden with NBA players including Bogut,Mills andDe lavedova.

Comment

Boomers win 71 to Tallblacks 59, not looking good for Tallblacks, game 2 in Wellington on Tuesday.

Comment

Mills was killing his team in 1st half (shot 10FG in just 10mins!) but made some crucial baskets in last qtr, along with Andersen made last run and Boomers carries to Oakland quite safe lead. Sad that Kiwis couldn't held on those couple of last mins and went from -3 to -12

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          Game will be broadcasted (you can watch after too) via livebasketball.tv, but not free for this event I'm afraid

Anyways, glad that I was wrong regarding starting time, daytime in LT, so will enjoy the show. Wishing a good game for Brock Motum, but have more sympathies for Tall Blacks tho
                          Thank you very much.

Currently watching the replay of the Opals vs Tall Ferns before I move into the men's game.
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                            True... as of 2017 Asia+Oceania will be playing under Asia-Pacific... and 7 teams in total would qualify to next WC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7892[/ATTACH]
                            Maybe China NT will not participate Asia-Pacific championship in 2017-2018.

Comment

Originally posted by McCalebb2015 View Post
                              Maybe China NT will not participate Asia-Pacific championship in 2017-2018.
                              What is the reason for China not to participate?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information