No announcement yet.

FIBA Americas 2015 (Mexico)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a game! What a thriller! What an ending! That's why I'm a basketball fan

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    Canada got robbed! What the hell was that foul?
    A controversial call (even though Venezuelan who fought for rebound was shoved down before the final whistle, so it's not THAT controversial, it's only controversial since this kind of off-the-ball fouls rarely got whistled in dying seconds of regulation time - and for a good reason, I have to add) but that doesn't make Canadian players behaviour after the final whistle any more justified. Such a bad attitude, such an abysmal, infamous conduct... sore losers who haven't shook hands with Venezuelans. It looks like Northern American national teams often have no moral dignity to show some respect to their victorious international opponents even if the loss was bitter and, according to them, unjust.

By the way, I rooted for Venezuela all the way long since this game looked like a perfect David vs Goliath story. The fact that I liked the way this Venezuelan team was playing under the reasonable guidance of husky-voiced coach Nestor Garcia only added to this feeling. And they shown that they deserve this win much more than Canadians. Venezuela outhustled, outworked, outwilled (he-he, just coined a term) Canada. While being nothing near Canada in terms of individual talent, they were much more hard-working and efficient as a team. After all, they played much smarter and Garcia just totally outwit Triano. In those moments when Canada was able to fire up a game and get into transition, it was quite obvious that Venezuela would have nothing to set off against Canada in such an uptempo game. But Venezuelans were successful in imposing 'their' game on disoriented and lacking mental strength and stamina Canadians. This win is really, really logical. Yes, Guillent have nailed some otherworldly threes to keep Venezuela in the game but wasn't Canada also overrelying on Kelly Olynyk's individual heroics too much?

What Venezuela lacks in pure individual talent (and they are inferior not only to Canada or Argentina, teams like Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are also clearly better if only this parameter is concerned), it makes up with an excellent team chemistry, winning mentality and smart, team-oriented way of playing.

Congratulations, Venezuela! You're a tough nut to crack for gringos in any way - political or sportive No offense, North American basketball fans, but I guess that Canadians not shaking hands with the opposing team after the game gives me a moral right to add some spicey, un-PC joke here

Vamos, Venezuela!
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

• Venezulea won without their best players, Greivys Vazquez(NBA), Gregory Echenique, Donta Smith, Luis Bethelmy...this just show you that having nba players do not necessarily mean success.
      sigpic

Comment

• I'm also happy that Venezuela had this historic success without Greivis Vazquez. With this guy, whose primadonna mentality in NT I definitely don't like, on board there would be no such a brilliant team chemistry and most probably, they would have failed.

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrorizer View Post
          -snip-
          Here's to hoping we beat China and Iran in FIBA Asia in this similar fashion.

Basically, only 5 players from our WC team made it back to the team this year, mostly due to injuries and BS basketball politics (causing local pro team owners to hoard our nation's best players for their respective PBA championship runs). Most of our guys are new, and yeah, Blatche is back, but his WC form is pretty much gone.

What we lack in talent we WILL make up with HARD work and TEAM work.

Anyways, congratulations, Venezuela. You really deserved this win and the Olympic berth.

Vamos Venezuela! Laban Pilipinas!
          Originally posted by gideon
          Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• One thing about Canada losing is it potentially sets up a group of death next summer for the OQT. Think of a group with 2 European teams and Canada potentially in Toronto? Still possible.
            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
              One thing about Canada losing is it potentially sets up a group of death next summer for the OQT. Think of a group with 2 European teams and Canada potentially in Toronto? Still possible.
              Oh, dear. Canada really has the worst luck in FIBA Americas.
              Originally posted by gideon
              Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• The qualifiying tournament next year is going to be pretty crazy, i dont see my team making it to rio, even with our best players.
                sigpic

Comment

One thing about Canada losing is it potentially sets up a group of death next summer for the OQT. Think of a group with 2 European teams and Canada potentially in Toronto? Still possible.
                  Well there is always 2019 and 2020.

Comment

Yep, but there is a positive aspect to it. If Canada will manage to go through this OQT 'group of death', it would give them a huge confidence boost and medal finish would be not that unlikely for them. If they fail, then it would be a clear indication that they are not ready for Olympic medals contender role they are groomed for. Many people say that this Canadian team could be especially dangerous in 2020 Olympics, maybe, they are right, who knows.

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrorizer View Post
                      Yep, but there is a positive aspect to it. If Canada will manage to go through this OQT 'group of death', it would give them a huge confidence boost and medal finish would be not that unlikely for them. If they fail, then it would be a clear indication that they are not ready for Olympic medals contender role they are groomed for. Many people say that this Canadian team could be especially dangerous in 2020 Olympics, maybe, they are right, who knows.
                      For me their first test of their long term success will be the first time that they play Team USA in a game that matters and for now I don't think that's going to be in Brazil next year.

Comment

• Canada reminds me of an, admittedly less talented, 2006 USA team. Young, full of potential, but not ready to play in hard fought games. Both games that were not settled by the fourth quarter they lost. That shows a distinct lack of leadership and experience. Given that they have an average age of about 23 that's forgivable, but they're not winning shit until they address that. USA in 2014 is the exception and not the rule, and even they had close games through 3 games, you will play tight games in the 4th quarter you need to know what to do.

Comment

• Mexico 40 Argentina 35...If Argentina loses, I will admit to being extremely excited about next year's OQT.

Comment

• Canada just wasn't ready to play a championship-intensity game after a bunch of 50%-intensity group stage games where the opponents didn't really play defense. They don't have the talent required to play a Team USA-style offense in a serious game against a decent team. Corazon y huevos gap between the teams was massive as well.

This is where Venezuela was at the start of the summer, getting blown out by Spain's U18 team:
                            Originally posted by Fedfan
                            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                            Originally posted by GuTO
                            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• congrats to those old Wiley vets Argentina. Even if it was for one last ride it was well deserved. Bad night for North America, though Mexico City is another attractive host.

Comment

• Must say did not see Venezuela winning this one. Wiggins only 8 points and not bringing a game the Canadians needed. Will be interesting to see if Canada can get its NBA guys to play in the QTs. Steve Nash has to be fuming right now after getting this team together. Almost Mexico and Venezuela advancing that would have been crazy.
                                Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
                                2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019
                                Winner! 2020 Olympics Prediction Game

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information