Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBA Americas 2015 (Mexico)

Default FIBA Americas 2015 (Mexico)

Can we get a subforum started?!? About time we start talking about it!

It will be interesting to see if a Canadian roster loaded with young nba talent can translate into a great team.

Talent wise, I would say Canada and Brazil are the favorites assuming both have their full squads. If Brazil officially gets that automatic host country berth, we may not see their full squad in this tournament.

Any news about preliminar rosters/missings? So far saw only Uruguaian one with 15 players there, tho Batista bein' doubtfull due to insurance problems. Also some month ago there were Panamas and DR lists with around 30+ players each, but after that nothing

Canada is highly interesting, they have the talent to win but the international experience is a question. If Brazil gets an auto-spot I can see them qualifying for the Olympics, if not...well it will be something to watch.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

FIBA playing games with the Brazil auto-spot like they did with GB is a total joke.

Hard to say anything before we know the rosters but never count out Argentina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    FIBA playing games with the Brazil auto-spot like they did with GB is a total joke.

Let me be the first to count out Argentina. I think they are finished and will not qualify no matter who their roster consists of.
    It was a wonderful run for them but they are still relying on players from a decade ago.

I guess everything will be solved when (if) Brazil will pay the debt to FIBA

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I guess everything will be solved when (if) Brazil will pay the debt to FIBA
    The brazilian basketball confederation is a shame. But Nike and Bradesco (2nd biggest brazilian private bank), the sponsors of the team, will pay the debt.

If we get the automatic berth, I hope we send the squad that played the pan games to Mexico with just 2 or 3 changes.

Raulzinho, Alex Garcia and Marquinhos would be fine.

I can understand FIBA's position in both situations. GB doesn't really have a basketball team and after the Olympics they seemingly cut funding for the National Team.

Brazil needs to pay what it owes. plain and simple.

Dominican training camp invites. Some players have not yet confirmed their participation. Horford is out.

Francisco García y Eulis Báez lideran el grupo de los que hasta ahora han dado el sí al llamado de la Selección, donde también se incluyen Eloy Vargas, Víctor Liz, Edgar Sosa, James Feldeine, Orlando Sánchez, Gerardo Suero, Manuel Fortuna y Edward Santana.

También Luis Flores, Rigoberto Mendoza, Ronald Ramón, Juan Miguel Suero, Dagoberto Peña, Juan José García y Kelvin Peña. Algunos de ellos ya se encuentran en Atlanta participando en entrenamientos voluntarios.

El resto de los convocados pendientes a confirmar su participación son: Karl-Anthony Towns, Al Horford, Juan Coronado, Luis David Montero, Ronald Roberts, Charlie Villanueva y Manny Quezada.
    http://www.cdn.com.do/noticias/2015/...olimpico-2015/
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Puerto Rico squad for training camp in Louisville:

El grupo quedó compuesto por los bases José Juan Barea, Carlos Rivera, Guillermo Díaz; los escoltas: Larry Ayuso, John Holland, Isaac Sosa, Mike Rosario, los aleros: Maurice Harkless, Ángel Vassallo y Richard Chaney; los delanteros: Ramón Clemente, Devon Collier, Renaldo Balkman y Kevin Young; los centros: Luis Villafañe y Jorge Bryan Díaz.
    http://fibaamericas.com/noticiasread...A4374F128458AF

Puerto Rico squad for training camp in Louisville:

http://fibaamericas.com/noticiasread...A4374F128458AF
    No Arroyo? Or he will join later?

No Arroyo. I think I read somewhere that the coach, Rick Pitino, did not see Arroyo on the team since Arroyo is already 36 years old.

Mo Harkless is a nice add. I never knew he was from PR.
    When did that happen? Is he naturalized? Wouldn't he need to live there for that?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Mo Harkless is a nice add. I never knew he was from PR.
    When did that happen? Is he naturalized? Wouldn't he need to live there for that?
    He was born in New York, but his grandmother is from Puerto Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7984 View Post
    He was born in New York, but his grandmother is from Puerto Rico.
    One grandparent gets you the right to play for another country? Interesting.
    Seems a little desperate maybe? Maybe Lebron or Durant has a Canadian granny in their past - I should do some digging.

On a serious note - it may be worthwhile to do that research on some midlevel players that may never play for Team USA. Perhaps they do have some Canadian history that can be exploited. However, Canada is not to apt to dishing out citizenship quite so disgracefully as some of these countries. I am looking at you Philippines!

Is PR even a country? Do you they have separate or distinct citizenship (or any identification) from the US? Or can they really just snag anyone who may have a loose thread or two to the island?

Just curious - not hating. Do what you gotta do as long as it is in the rules...

Harkless' situation is actually not uncommon in FIBA tournaments. If I remember correctly, Nick Calathes is a similar situation. Calathes plays for the Greek national team because his great-grandfather was born in Greece, even though he, his parents, and his grandparents were born in the US. There is a whole thread debating this type of situation: http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...aturalisations

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7984 View Post
    Harkless' situation is actually not uncommon in FIBA tournaments. If I remember correctly, Nick Calathes is a similar situation. Calathes plays for the Greek national team because his great-grandfather was born in Greece, even though he, his parents, and his grandparents were born in the US. There is a whole thread debating this type of situation: http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...aturalisations
    It is pretty crazy and loads of grey area.
    This is from a couple years ago, but an article showing leading up to the 2014 World Cup no less than 66 US born players played for 37 different national teams (than the USA). It is almost free agency.
    http://hoopshype.com/2013/09/04/plen...a-tournaments/

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Is PR even a country? Do you they have separate or distinct citizenship (or any identification) from the US? Or can they really just snag anyone who may have a loose thread or two to the island?
    FIBA Eligibility regulations for dependent territories:

Special Provisions for Players from Dependent Territories

25. In order to represent the territory in the Competitions of FIBA or in other international
    competitions organised within their Zones, subject to other following provisions, a player
    must fulfill the following conditions:

a. Have the legal nationality of the country on which the territory is dependent (the “main
    territory”); and

b. Have:
    i. been born in the dependent territory; or
    ii. been born in the main territory of at least one parent born in the dependent
    territory; or
    iii. been born of parents both of whom were born in the dependent territory,
    regardless of the place of birth of the player; or
    iv. at least one grandparent who was born in the dependent territory, regardless of
    the place of birth of the player.

c. Be able to demonstrate traditional or customary residency in the territory.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast