Canada is the next international basketball powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
    Who do you consider first tier powers then? Apart from USA, that is ? Because if France is in a second tier ,Spain would have to be in a third for me.
    For me Spain is in the first tier....but just barely. How they do in Eurobasket this year matters. They have to at least medal. Anything less and they get demoted to second tier though I'm not sure I would promote anyone else to the top tier. The top euro teams are for the most second tier with a few (Lith France and Serbia) always on the cusp on moving up. Being in the same zone has a habit of preventing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
      For me Spain is in the first tier....but just barely. How they do in Eurobasket this year matters. They have to at least medal. Anything less and they get demoted to second tier though I'm not sure I would promote anyone else to the top tier. The top euro teams are for the most second tier with a few (Lith France and Serbia) always on the cusp on moving up. Being in the same zone has a habit of preventing that.
      I'd have Spain solidly in the second tier. They are slipping but I still think the Gasol brothers are the best non-american players in the world (Nowitzki and Parker are well past their prime). Marc is in his prime and arguably the best center in the world. It hasn't seemed to translate too well to FIBA recently, but any Spanish team fielding both of them should be a favorite in European or World competitions.

Tier 1:
      USA

Tier 2(a)
      Spain
      France

Tier 2(b)
      Serbia
      Greece
      Croatia
      Lithuania

Tier 3
      Australia
      Canada
      Brazil
      Argentina
      Italy
      Turkey
      Russia
      Solvenia

Comment

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
        Who do you consider first tier powers then? Apart from USA, that is ? Because if France is in a second tier ,Spain would have to be in a third for me.
        I'll put it this way...the USA is Tier 1A and Spain is Tier 1B. Keep in mind, for as much as the US has dominated international basketball since 2007, the Spanish have come close to defeating the US in the 2008 and 2012 Olympic gold medal game. Those games were in doubt well into the latter stages of the 4th quarter.

Comment

Lots of intriguing prospects for Canada like Thon Maker and Jamal Murray.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Thon Maker is playing for Australia
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Yeah, Thon Maker does not have Canadian citizenship. He only moved to Canada last September to play at a high school in Canada.

Comment

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Cory Joseph and then another really good prospect in Jamal Murray, they do have the potential to field a really good team but they need some guys to develop to be a powerhouse.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information