No announcement yet.

Abl 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just came across this young Thai-American basketball player on Youtube, he's pretty good. He just played in this year's Thai League and from what I've heard from the locals here he just finished playing high school ball in the US. Interesting to see if he will play for the Thai teams here like Hitech... What do you guys think?
    Check him out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT5tL-ep6Tc

Comment

Originally posted by basketballjonesss View Post
      Just came across this young Thai-American basketball player on Youtube, he's pretty good. He just played in this year's Thai League and from what I've heard from the locals here he just finished playing high school ball in the US. Interesting to see if he will play for the Thai teams here like Hitech... What do you guys think?
      Check him out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT5tL-ep6Tc
      He looks pretty good. From the few minutes of video, looks like a smart player who is pretty quick, can shoot and pass well and understands spacing and how to use screens to his advantage. Weakness probably his athleticism and physicality, doesn't get much lift in his drives (Got blocked a few times easily in the video but the foul was given). Anyway you can't really scout a person by highlights, you have to watch a full game to get a better idea of his tendencies.

If he just came out of high school I don't he will be ready for the ABL just yet, maybe a few seasons of roughening up in the Thai league would do him good before bringing his game here.

Comment

Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
        He looks pretty good. From the few minutes of video, looks like a smart player who is pretty quick, can shoot and pass well and understands spacing and how to use screens to his advantage. Weakness probably his athleticism and physicality, doesn't get much lift in his drives (Got blocked a few times easily in the video but the foul was given). Anyway you can't really scout a person by highlights, you have to watch a full game to get a better idea of his tendencies.

If he just came out of high school I don't he will be ready for the ABL just yet, maybe a few seasons of roughening up in the Thai league would do him good before bringing his game here.
        Ken's been a really nice young player in the Thai League this year. A flashy type of point guard, but he's still a bit too small. He was taking a summer break in Thailand and his parent got him on a Hitech sister affiliate team. However, since Ken was only going to be here for one year before going to back to the States to start his collegiate studies, Hitech kind of limited his playing time to develop other players.

Ken then moved to the Dunkin' Raptors after the season's first leg and exploded. He went from averaging 3.2 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 1.2 apg to averaging 16.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, and 3.0 apg while tripling his minutes.

It might be a solid 4 more years before Thailand gets to see him play in the league again but if he grows up and hets accustomed to the American style of ball, he will be a very nice piece for Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajjatam.k View Post
          Ken's been a really nice young player in the Thai League this year. A flashy type of point guard, but he's still a bit too small. He was taking a summer break in Thailand and his parent got him on a Hitech sister affiliate team. However, since Ken was only going to be here for one year before going to back to the States to start his collegiate studies, Hitech kind of limited his playing time to develop other players.

Ken then moved to the Dunkin' Raptors after the season's first leg and exploded. He went from averaging 3.2 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 1.2 apg to averaging 16.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, and 3.0 apg while tripling his minutes.

It might be a solid 4 more years before Thailand gets to see him play in the league again but if he grows up and hets accustomed to the American style of ball, he will be a very nice piece for Thailand.
          Hey, just wondering, is this your blog? https://tonesanddefinition.wordpress.com/
          Your name looks pretty similar lol. I must say, your work is quite interesting. Are you Thai yourself? What got you interested with Thai basketball since not many people are crazy about it?

Comment

Will ABL games be broadcasted online? I will be traveling back to Europe these next few months but I would still like to stay updated with Southeast Asian basketball.

Comment

I completely agree with you. Do you know who the youngest players in the ABL are? I know its quite a competitively league around Southeast Asia, but we have 18 year olds competing in the NBA LOL! So crazy if you think about it!

Comment

Hahaha, yep that's my blog. Glad to know there are people that actually read those.
                And yes, I myself am thai but I grew up in the States so I picked up the passion for bball and it kind of stuck with me...even if not that many people here are into it. (Sadly)

ABL games will be broadcasted on Youtube as they have been for the past 2-3 seasons unless something goes horribly wrong. Just search up ASEAN Basketball League on youtube and watch some games as appetizer before the league kicks of at the end of October lol.

As for the youngest players...last year, the KL Dragons had a local, Yi Hou, who should be 18 if I am correct and he was a pretty good shooter. Played really limited minutes though.
                It's pretty rare to see players younger than 20 playing decent minutes in the ABL.

Comment

Hahaha, yep that's my blog. Glad to know there are people that actually read those.
                  And yes, I myself am thai but I grew up in the States so I picked up the passion for bball and it kind of stuck with me...even if not that many people here are into it. (Sadly)

ABL games will be broadcasted on Youtube as they have been for the past 2-3 seasons unless something goes horribly wrong. Just search up ASEAN Basketball League on youtube and watch some games as appetizer before the league kicks of at the end of October lol.

As for the youngest players...last year, the KL Dragons had a local, Yi Hou, who should be 18 if I am correct and he was a pretty good shooter. Played really limited minutes though.
                  It's pretty rare to see players younger than 20 playing decent minutes in the ABL.
                  Singapore's center Delvin Goh who also played in this year's Fiba Asia is only 20. Russel Low another SG Center/PF is also pretty young at 22.

Anyway, by any chance do you have all the team's rosters (With imports)?

Comment

Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
                    Singapore's center Delvin Goh who also played in this year's Fiba Asia is only 20. Russel Low another SG Center/PF is also pretty young at 22.

Anyway, by any chance do you have all the team's rosters (With imports)?
                    I don't expect any of the team rosters to be solidified until about 15 weeks before gameday, so we just have to hang in there an speculate but here are the signings we have so far

KL Dragons: Justin Brickman (ASEAN), Matthew Wright (ASEAN), Calvin Godfrey (World)
                    Singapore: Xavier Alexander (World)
                    Saigon: David Arnold (ASEAN)
                    Hitech: Chris Charles (World), Steve Thomas (World)
                    Mono: Anthony McClain (World)
                    Aguilas: Jamar Warren (World/Unofficial Announcement)

Hitech will be pretty much returning all locals except Montien Wongsawangtham (waived) and Wattana Suttisin (injury). Expect a couple of 20 year olds to fill in for a youth transition.
                    Mono will be fielding 5 Thai SEA Games players (Ratdech Kruatiwa, Nattakarn Meungboon, Kannut Samerjai, Chanachon Klahan, and Darongphun Apiromwilaichai).
                    KL will losing Oi Ban Sin, John Ng, and Wong Wee Seng to retirement and Loh Shee Fai to injury. So that's going to be a roster overhaul. Keuk Tian Yuan, Kwann Yoong Jing, and Tong Wen Keong are the biggest returnees.
                    From what I've heard, Singapore could be missing out Larry Liew and Wu Qing De to national Services (not confirmed) but the other guys should all be back. Looking forward to if Leon Kwek, a nice looking 20 year old prospect, gets the call up
                    Saigon is getting a local overhaul as well. They'll be adding a number of SEA Games player (most notably Hanh Minh Trieu), but most of the locals last year will be gone.

I have absolutely nothing on Aguilas except the speculations of who is making the roster (Rudy Lingannay? Willie Miller?).

Exactly one more month to go.

Comment

I don't expect any of the team rosters to be solidified until about 15 weeks before gameday, so we just have to hang in there an speculate but here are the signings we have so far

KL Dragons: Justin Brickman (ASEAN), Matthew Wright (ASEAN), Calvin Godfrey (World)
                      Singapore: Xavier Alexander (World)
                      Saigon: David Arnold (ASEAN)
                      Hitech: Chris Charles (World), Steve Thomas (World)
                      Mono: Anthony McClain (World)
                      Aguilas: Jamar Warren (World/Unofficial Announcement)

Hitech will be pretty much returning all locals except Montien Wongsawangtham (waived) and Wattana Suttisin (injury). Expect a couple of 20 year olds to fill in for a youth transition.
                      Mono will be fielding 5 Thai SEA Games players (Ratdech Kruatiwa, Nattakarn Meungboon, Kannut Samerjai, Chanachon Klahan, and Darongphun Apiromwilaichai).
                      KL will losing Oi Ban Sin, John Ng, and Wong Wee Seng to retirement and Loh Shee Fai to injury. So that's going to be a roster overhaul. Keuk Tian Yuan, Kwann Yoong Jing, and Tong Wen Keong are the biggest returnees.
                      From what I've heard, Singapore could be missing out Larry Liew and Wu Qing De to national Services (not confirmed) but the other guys should all be back. Looking forward to if Leon Kwek, a nice looking 20 year old prospect, gets the call up
                      Saigon is getting a local overhaul as well. They'll be adding a number of SEA Games player (most notably Hanh Minh Trieu), but most of the locals last year will be gone.

I have absolutely nothing on Aguilas except the speculations of who is making the roster (Rudy Lingannay? Willie Miller?).

Exactly one more month to go.
                      Thanks for the updates. Looks like its going to be a very competitive year. Aguilas will have pacman for sure haha xD

Comment

singapore will be very competitive this season as they are basically the National Team with imports. with the experience they gained from FIBA Asia they will surely compete.
                        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Dijon Thompson representing not only Saigon but the ABL with Maccabi Haifa tonight. 10pts vs the Grizzlies and counting.
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                            singapore will be very competitive this season as they are basically the National Team with imports. with the experience they gained from FIBA Asia they will surely compete.
                            I heard they are going to be without Larry Lieu (National Service) and Russel Low (Preparation for University), so that is two VERY huge blows. The development of Delvin Goh will be more intriguing though, now that the team can't depend on Low to pick up his slack.

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                              Dijon Thompson representing not only Saigon but the ABL with Maccabi Haifa tonight. 10pts vs the Grizzlies and counting.
                              Would be more interesting if it was a player who played in more than two games, but it's still representing. Go Dijon!

Comment

The Asian Basketball, often abbreviated to the ABL, is a men's professional basketball league in Southeast Asia, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

New abl website is up.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information