Abl 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abl 2015

Anyone knows when the new season is starting?

The 2014 season started at 16 July. But, no news for the 2015 season. Hopefully it is not scrapped due to lesser crowd or because the lack of a philippine team.
    The ABL showed that it can improve the standard of the ASEAN teams in the SEA games. I am pretty sure there will be revived interest due to increased competitiveness shown with the gilas cadets.

Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
    Anyone knows when the new season is starting?

The 2014 season started at 16 July. But, no news for the 2015 season. Hopefully it is not scrapped due to lesser crowd or because the lack of a philippine team.
    The ABL showed that it can improve the standard of the ASEAN teams in the SEA games. I am pretty sure there will be revived interest due to increased competitiveness shown with the gilas cadets.
    Nothing is set in stone, but what I have heard is that the Saigon Heat owner will be handling the ABL this year.
    Things were a bit rough with all the reasons you mentioned, but its been picking up steam and there should be 2 filipino teams in addition to 1 additional thai team and 1 less indonesian team.

Again, all rumours, but not exactly draw out of thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajjatam.k View Post
      Nothing is set in stone, but what I have heard is that the Saigon Heat owner will be handling the ABL this year.
      Things were a bit rough with all the reasons you mentioned, but its been picking up steam and there should be 2 filipino teams in addition to 1 additional thai team and 1 less indonesian team.

Again, all rumours, but not exactly draw out of thin air.
      Great news to hear. Probably Laksa Dreya is out as their standard is not ABL level.

Comment

Great news to hear. Probably Laksa Dreya is out as their standard is not ABL level.
        New update is that three former teams will be returning...biggest surprise is that it won't include defending champs Hi-Tech.

6 teams, 3 new, 3 old teams.
        KL Dragons (MYS)
        Singapore Slingers (SIN)
        Saigon Heat (VIE)

Mono Vampires (THA)
        Another team from PHL
        Another team from IND (Not the Indonesia Warriors or Laskar)

Again...not sure how credible my source is...but it pretty much correlates to the other rumors I've been hearing.

Comment

Manny Pacquiao will back a Mindanao-based ABL team: PH returns to ABL with Pacquiao-backed Mindanao Aguilas
          “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
          -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Philippines is back with 2 new teams.

Comment

Originally posted by athangonzales View Post
              Philippines is back with 2 new teams.
              Newest NEWEST update is that there will potentially be 8 teams in the ABL. With the addition of 2 new Philippines team (Racal Motors and PACMAN Mindanao Aguilas), a new Thai team (Mono Vampires), and a new Indonesian Team.
              Saigon Heat, KL Dragons, Singapore Slingers, and Hi-Tech are to return.

So YAY

Comment

Official Press Conference went down today in Kuala Lumpur.
                7 Teams
                Singapore Slingers (Singapore)
                KL Dragons (Malaysia)
                Saigon Heat (Vietnam)
                Racal Motors (Philippines)
                Pacman Mindanao Aguilas (Philippines)
                Mono Vampire Basketball Club (Thailand)
                Hitech Basketball Club (Thailand)

starting late October.

Anyone have any news on the Filipino Teams?

Comment

^ Wow, no Indonesian team? :O

Comment

No Indon team

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
                    ^ Wow, no Indonesian team? :O
                    Yeah, I think there was some conflict with their new Indonesian Basketball League (IBL). Sad.

Comment

Bad news for the ABL as Racal Motors Alibaba.com withdrew their team (http://www.spin.ph/basketball/abl/ne...-league-sudden) but good news is that legendary LIU Point God and Fil-Am Jason Brickman seems to be signing with the KL Dragons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajjatam.k View Post
                        Yeah, I think there was some conflict with their new Indonesian Basketball League (IBL). Sad.
                        that is too bad. they fielded two teams last season.
                        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                          After their SEA Games performance, I really expected to see more of them. That team was REALLY good and if only an indon team were to sign 3-4 of the top guys it would have been really fun. Especially if they added Brandon Jawato (Indon-Am) who just recently signed with CLS Knights after playing at Hawaii.

Alas, we can only hope for more next season.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                            They should field their best club team or the Indonesia national team to be competitive. Laskar Dreya (Or Hangtuah Mudah) is just not at the ABL level.

Besides the Indonesian team, I wished Cambodia would have a team with the ABL, they did pretty decent in the SEA games even beating Vietnam. It's good to spread the sport around the SEA region.

Comment

They should field their best club team or the Indonesia national team to be competitive. Laskar Dreya (Or Hangtuah Mudah) is just not at the ABL level.

Besides the Indonesian team, I wished Cambodia would have a team with the ABL, they did pretty decent in the SEA games even beating Vietnam. It's good to spread the sport around the SEA region.
                              Yeah, Laskar Dreya was a notch below the level of competition last year even though I didn't mind their participation. But yes, it would be fun to see a team like the CLS Knights or Aspac or the return of Satria Muda in the ABL. Indonesia probably has the second best managed league in the region and the ABL missing on that is quite a loss on all sides.
                              I suspect that the Indonesian basketball clubs are going through a phase from shifting from the NBL to the IBL which might have caused some difficulties? If so, I am hopeful for their return next year.

I'd also like to see a team from Cambodia as well! Their SEA Games team was entertaining and they have a nice domestic league going on even though the level might not be there yet. Their SEA Games team featured a lot of Cambodian-Americans and if that talent pool is deeper than we know, they could be a sleeper to make a boom in the region in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information