Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithuanian NT 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    No one
    Agreed.

But for my tastes both Milaknis and Gailius had to play more. Coach should have more patience with shooter as Milaknis. Let him run for 3, 4 minutes and he'll give you 6 points in a minute when the time will come. Gailius should be used at 3 sometimes when the offence is too toothless like today (not mentioning bigs). I would love a bit more flexibility - like bringing in Kavaliauskas against Ukraine while Javtokas' option obviously didn't work. Like letting Gailius in today instead of tolerating only 3 guards who couldn't score today. Kazlauskas sticks to pre game decisions like it's apriori accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Who knows really that Kazlauskas and Kalnietis work with one agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Agreed.

But for my tastes both Milaknis and Gailius had to play more. Coach should have more patience with shooter as Milaknis. Let him run for 3, 4 minutes and he'll give you 6 points in a minute when the time will come.
    Milaknis can't handle defensive duties, that's the reason he is not playin' more

Quote Originally Posted by Mika Hakinen View Post
    Who knows really that Kazlauskas and Kalnietis work with one agent?
    Sorry, but didn't understand your exact question

Sorry, but didn't understand your exact question
    Kalnietis looks terrible, so looked in summer League too, the season he missed, why not take in the roster of well-played Juskevicius? I don't understand it.

Kalnietis looks terrible, so looked in summer League too, the season he missed, why not take in the roster of well-played Juskevicius? I don't understand it.
    When did Juskevicius played well as PG? Let alone that he is not a pure PG. Last season he was horrible in this role in Rytas, even Janavicius looked better. The same happened in NT camp - Juskevicius just couldn't handle the team, it led to chaos most of the times he was at PG role.
    Kalnietis wasn't terrible overall, he had ok game vs Latvia, he was not bad yesterday with 13 assists!!! (that's almost as much as Juskevicius did last year in 9 games (14)) Only terrible thing he did was in last possesion

Mindozas, I agree. And I understand why Kazlauskas was keeping Lukas in the 4th quarter while he played well (specially defensively) for the biggest part of it (I still think it was a must to bring back rested Seibutis and not to keep a kid into that fire), but do you agree Kazlauskas doesn't really control the team in the most important minutes of the game? Against Ukraine he just got emotional and sit JV on bench while things even got worse after that while Lithuania didn't have any offensive solution for those minutes left and after the game Kazlauskas simply had to go with an excuse he had no ways to bring JV back. Against Belgium, Lithuania forced at least 4 or 5 possesions (Maciulis drive, Maciulis three, Lukas' "fast brake", Kalnietis' three and I think I still miss one here). I mean I understand one wrong possession and players not always listen to what coach says, but 4 or 5 in a row instead of going for JV or Jankunas even though Kazlauskas was trying to establish that? ("Kalnietis cannot shoot before five seconds. All the balls we sent to the middle, we finished. It is stupid" - Lithuania coach Jonas Kazlauskas on his team's final offence (Official Eurobasket page)). That just means he couldn't control the team for about 2 clutch minutes...That's biggest surprise for me how lost Kazlauskas looked at the end of the games against Ukraine and Belgium. For such an experience coach. I didn't expect to see that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry but that's a terrible post. Even though Kalnietis is in a pretty bad form right now, he's still miles ahead of Juskevicius/Janavicius.

Mindozas, I agree. And I understand why Kazlauskas was keeping Lukas in the 4th quarter while he played well (specially defensively) for the biggest part of it (I still think it was a must to bring back rested Seibutis and not to keep a kid into that fire), but do you agree Kazlauskas doesn't really control the team in the most important minutes of the game? Against Ukraine he just got emotional and sit JV on bench while things even got worse after that while Lithuania didn't have any offensive solution for those minutes left and after the game Kazlauskas simply had to go with an excuse he had no ways to bring JV back. Against Belgium, Lithuania forced at least 4 or 5 possesions (Maciulis drive, Maciulis three, Lukas' "fast brake", Kalnietis' three and I think I still miss one here). I mean I understand one wrong possession and players not always listen to what coach says, but 4 or 5 in a row instead of going for JV or Jankunas even though Kazlauskas was trying to establish that? ("Kalnietis cannot shoot before five seconds. All the balls we sent to the middle, we finished. It is stupid" - Lithuania coach Jonas Kazlauskas on his team's final offence (Official Eurobasket page)). That just means he couldn't control the team for about 2 clutch minutes...That's biggest surprise for me how lost Kazlauskas looked at the end of the games against Ukraine and Belgium. For such an experience coach. I didn't expect to see that.
    Kazlauskas wasn't perfect of course, made mistakes. Can't write a lot about Ukraine game, couldn't watch it properly, but yesterday in final minutes it was obviously players who screwed up. Even not bein' Kazlauskas, any regular fan understood that it wasn't coach who gave such instructions for Lekavicius or Kalnietis in last minute of the game, it's solely on them

Kazlauskas wasn't perfect of course, made mistakes. Can't write a lot about Ukraine game, couldn't watch it properly, but yesterday in final minutes it was obviously players who screwed up. Even not bein' Kazlauskas, any regular fan understood that it wasn't coach who gave such instructions for Lekavicius or Kalnietis in last minute of the game, it's solely on them
    This. You can be the best coach in the world, but if players will make stupid decisions and forget your instructions you can't do anything. Kazlauskas didn't lose game control - Lukas was in game because of his speed defending against small oponents and he did that not bad, the only thing he did bad was his attempt to atack basket with 2 oponents in the face. I was really surprised by this - Lekavicius usually is clever player, but his age took control over the head this time. On the other hand - how many times our fans were crying about young players not having playing time in crucial minutes of the game (I can remember one, who was not happy about that in game against Ukraine ), so he got these minutes and showed that Kazlauskas was right in that game.
    Good thing is - he learned a lot in this game and we didn't loose anything yet.

If you ask me i would say kazlauskas made mistake,not sitting valanciunas when score was 74-68 when 2;05 left to play and belgium timeout.First of all Valanciunas was very tired im was in arena saw that and also he was having big problems guarding 3point line...We do not need points at that point,we need defencem stops and without valanciunas it would have been easier to guard 3point line...belgium coach did risky move,putting no valanciunas 2m02 almost half of the game,that has no chance guard valanciunas inside,but on the other side valanciunas have no chance guard that 2m02 near 3point line...When other were running to cover 2m02 valanciunas guy than balls was moving and they were getting good looks all game long...

ironically best streak vs latvia was having when valanciunas was on the bench,same happend with belgium in 2 querter when sabonis played C...we got that lead +13,because sabonis is fast enough to cover 3point line,valanciunas is not...With Sabonis as C belgium wasnt getting same looks,as they did when valanciunas was on the floor...Very similiar things happend with Italy in eurobakset 2013 (only Motiejunas At C stopped that italians pickerool,valanciunas was too slow all the time),I know he scored alot and dominated,but because Jonas cant guard 3point line,we were having big problems guarding belgium team overall yesterday...

Valanciunas was dominated offensively,but Kazlauskas have to find better moments and overall better manage his minutes,when to use Jonas and when to sit him.Because when we playing smalls teams,in defence Valanciunas is worst defender we have.I liked how kazlauskas used valanciunas versus latvia,way more than versus belgium.And those teams playing similiar style.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Shawshank, a lot of things are true which you say, but let's remember JV scored very important points in the clutch and in those moments when Lithuania trailed. It's way easier to be in the court on a good wave when you build the distance and different when you have to deliver in the pressure. JV is doing very good job so far as a leader and so far he is even little underperforming, missing some bunnies which he usually makes. JV needs to look more for passing out though. We need balance and more ball movement. That's his next step to the greatness.

As for benching him while having +6 could be an idea, but it was easier and safer just to go with him offensively when we had those 6 points. We wasted plenty of possessions after that and the ball never came to JV inside. For my tastes Kazlauskas also makes the same mistake as he did in last year small final - that is putting in JV from the very start of 4 quarter and keeping him for entire 10 minutes. For FIBA games where JV gets tons of pressure and has to work very hard it's too much. JV was dead tired against France last summer at the end and almost the same happened yesterday as well. However, Lithuania just had to stick with tactics and send the ball inside. It's not only players to blame if 3-4 possessions going wrong...It's the coach to make players do the right thing. I'm just saying Kazlauskas wasn't able to do that. Shit happens.

BTW, let's give credit to Sabonis a bit! 19yo is playing like a stud. If he will add consistent jumpshot he'll be a beast at 4. Even for NBA standards. Not an all star material, but he's above average NBA player material.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shawshank, a lot of things are true which you say, but let's remember JV scored very important points in the clutch and in those moments when Lithuania trailed. It's way easier to be in the court on a good wave when you build the distance and different when you have to deliver in the pressure. JV is doing very good job so far as a leader and so far he is even little underperforming, missing some bunnies which he usually makes. JV needs to look more for passing out though. We need balance and more ball movement. That's his next step to the greatness.

As for benching him while having +6 could be an idea, but it was easier and safer just to go with him offensively when we had those 6 points. We wasted plenty of possessions after that and the ball never came to JV inside. For my tastes Kazlauskas also makes the same mistake as he did in last year small final - that is putting in JV from the very start of 4 quarter and keeping him for entire 10 minutes. For FIBA games where JV gets tons of pressure and has to work very hard it's too much. JV was dead tired against France last summer at the end and almost the same happened yesterday as well. However, Lithuania just had to stick with tactics and send the ball inside. It's not only players to blame if 3-4 possessions going wrong...It's the coach to make players do the right thing. I'm just saying Kazlauskas wasn't able to do that. Shit happens.

BTW, let's give credit to Sabonis a bit! 19yo is playing like a stud. If he will add consistent jumpshot he'll be a beast at 4. Even for NBA standards. Not an all star material, but he's above average NBA player material.
    But you understand that distance you are talking was builted when jonas was sitting on the bench in the last 2 games? Yesterday when 3 minutes left to play Valanciunas was tired ,his body language wasnt good ,passing the ball was not an option no more to him.Option was sit out tired player for me looks way more logical,especially when we know how jonas strugle to defend 3 point line and than belgium made 2 treepointers... But ofcourse all of are smart when the game is over

examples that he was tired: valanciunas throw bad inbounding ball when score 71:74 we lost the ball and got second treepointer...in the last attack valanciunas begin to run to kalnietis when their still was 10s left to make a pick..why the hell run when their still left 10seconds?? not when 5-6seconds...it wasnt only kalnietis fault that he shoot so early,why Valanciunas run to do pick so early ? because he was tired and couldnt think anymore...
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-08-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    But you understand that distance you are talking was builted when jonas was sitting on the bench in the last 2 games? Yesterday when 3 minutes left to play Valanciunas was tired ,his body language wasnt good ,passing the ball was not an option no more to him.Option was sit out tired player for me looks way more logical,especially when we know how jonas strugle to defend 3 point line and than belgium made 2 treepointers... But ofcourse all of are smart when the game is over

examples that he was tired: valanciunas throw bad inbounding ball when score 71:74 we lost the ball and got second treepointer...in the last attack valanciunas begin to run to kalnietis when their still was 10s left to make a pick..why the hell run when their still left 10seconds?? not when 5-6seconds...it wasnt only kalnietis fault that he shoot so early,why Valanciunas run to do pick so early ? because he was tired and couldnt think anymore...
    It's not exactly true. Read this http://www.basketnews.lt/news-88806-...l#.Ve73yDeli1E

The best basketball at the offensive end Lithuania played against Latvia in the second half when there was inside and outside threat and Kalnietis played aggressively both scoring and creative for others (including paying pick and roll with JV who just wasn't finishing well that day). Unless you disagree that having Jonas in the game and active perimeter offence is the best this team can potentially have, I wouldn't

Anyway, let's wait for next games. Lithuania should be improving little by little and hopefully we still grabbing 1rst place!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fact is everybody screwed up against Belgium yesterday up until these final moments . But Kalnietis lost the game for us. Most likely we could have pulled ourselves together in the OT and win. Kazlauskas said in the interview angrily himself that Kalnietis had no right of shooting when there was still 5 seconds left. There Is your experienced player guys What da hell was he thinking . Could have waited a bit and drive towards the basket and provoked a foul or like any other normal (experienced) player would have done is to wait till the very last second and shoot. We still have OT if you missed. But lets move on now anyways and learn from these kind of mistakes. Fight till the end. No matter if you're +10 or + 20 in the game.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    But Kalnietis lost the game for us.
    Granted, Kalnietis blundered badly on that last possession but it's too much to say that he lost the game for Lithuania. As you say, everybody screwed up during the game yesterday, everybody had a part in the loss. There was lots of blame to go around. Kalnietis' last possession should not have been a critical one in the first place.

It's not exactly true. Read this http://www.basketnews.lt/news-88806-...l#.Ve73yDeli1E

The best basketball at the offensive end Lithuania played against Latvia in the second half when there was inside and outside threat and Kalnietis played aggressively both scoring and creative for others (including paying pick and roll with JV who just wasn't finishing well that day). Unless you disagree that having Jonas in the game and active perimeter offence is the best this team can potentially have, I wouldn't
    Yesterday i watch game against latvia replay.When valanciunas went to bench like 4 minutes left in 3 querter we leaded only by 2 or 4,when kavaliauskas went to bench 5minutes left to play in the 4 querter we were leading by 15 ! with 5 mobile players we totaly shut down latvians 3point line.... that inside threat was kavaliauskas versus latvia in our best stretch watch game and see.Also our offence was less predictable without valanciunas...Kalnietis said: we understand what force we have in Jonas and we are feeding him well,but also we cant play only by him all the time,because other players isnt getting touches and cant perform as their are capable too... and totally agree with kalnietis on this,he is PG and his job not only to pass to valanciunas,but also involve other players too.

Valanciunas is force in offence no doubt.And we are using him alot,he shoots 16+ shots in every game in the first 3 games.In my mind thats too predictable and its also a reason,why our offence sucks.Kazlauskas needs to find ways to include more players and use their best abilities.

With Valanciunas on the floor we having big big problems defending small teams.Without him our defence versus small teams are way better.Simple example versus belgium Jonas was dominating inside,but in those minutes he was on the floor we lost -6 (because he was also hole in our defence)...without him in 10minutes we won +4 even without his scoring

Im repeating kazlauskas need to find better ways to manage Valanciunas minutes,when we are playing against small teams.Not more than 24-25min.If opponenets have normal centers than he can play him 30+ minutes or even 40,but not against small teams that all 5 players can shoot 3point line...over using valanciunas back fired us versus belgium...That was biggest kazlauskas mistake versus belgium why we lost in my eyes.

Kazlauskas is very strong defensive coach,but in offence he needs more imagination...his assistants should help here ...

But yeah if we win both games,we still most likely will end up 1st in the group.But i hope we learn our lessons from game versus belgium.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-09-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Kazlauskas is very strong defensive coach,but in offence he needs more imagination...his assistants should help here ....
    That is correct, IMO. He's not lacking imagination, he's just too reserved, too careful and sometimes limits teams' moves to minimum. In the game against Belgium, Lithuania just stopped playing normal basketball when Belgium cut the lead and Lithuania was trailing. We should just try to role with vital all around basketball and not only try to go through bigs (not to mention that except Kalnietis everybody else on the team are crappy passers and even this system is executed very poorly, too slow).

Besides, I do think coaches made a defensive mistake against Belgium as well. Even simple switch against p&p plays would be more effective playing against Belgium, but it's easy to talk now. We'll see what adjustments made, while Estonia is very similar team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well we'll see how Team Lietuva can play without Jonas Valančiūnas today. Having to integrate and utilize other offensive weapons will be good for the team as a whole I'm sure, and absolutely critical come playoff time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Well we'll see how Team Lietuva can play without Jonas Valančiūnas today. Having to integrate and utilize other offensive weapons will be good for the team as a whole I'm sure, and absolutely critical come playoff time!

He should rest anyways For the Czech match which will be the deciding match of who wins the group if Lithuania win against Estonia. But yeh I suppose there should be some balance on the court psychologically . Jonas ir considered as our leader so players always feel like maybe they need to feed Jonas all the time. That's what Kazlauskas things is well saying this in his interview. He is overused I thing to. We will see today how much of that is true. Or we really depend on him.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    Or we really depend on him.
    Sadly that may indeed be the case.

Given the way he played in the three previous games, I thought Paulius Jankūnas would take advantage of his chance to light up the stat sheet today. I don't know what he was doing out on the floor today but he ended up being a net negative. Antanas Kavaliauskas with an efficiency rating of 19 in 19 minutes was the only Lithuanian big man to contribute to today's victory.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-09-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast