Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall are these Serbian students

534245268547decd5a2073670290111_orig.jpg

The photo shows that a couple of basketball player visited one regular Serbian high school. I cannot tell who are players or who are students. But I am impressive that a lot of them are very tall. Assuming the African in white sweater should be basketball player around 183 cm and the dude in red T-shirt in front of line may be 187 cm. I underestimate that the guy in white sweater stand in the middle is around 200 cm if I am correct. I deem that there are three guys are over 200 cm. So there are about 30 Serbian high school students. Only a few of them are under 180 cm. most of them are taller than 180 cm. And I estimate that 8-10 students are over 190 cm or taller. 2-3 guys are over 200 cm among 30 normal students. So tall!

What do you guys think about it?

The link is here: http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...research/page7

And some of these student did not stand very vertical, so their true height should be higher than the photo

Comment

Since there is a normal high school in Serbia, I bet you can tell the height of those students more precisely than me.

Comment

I'm ~188cm, not tall for bball player of course but well in my school days I've never been highest in any of my classes, at some even one of lowest

P.s. in this photo obviously american player is PG, but also angle of photo is such that it's very hard to measure the real heights, but it's tall kids nonetheless

Comment

Player is 191 cm.

Comment

The player is Crvena Zvezda's 6'3" (191 cm) tall guard Charles Jenkins. Appearing in the photo, 6'11" (210 cm) Pavle Cvetinović (the blond guy behind Jenkins) & 6'7" (202 cm) Stefan Kenić (just on the right of Jenkins, grey jogging suit).

PS: Not a regular high school, picture was taken at the Belgrade's first sport high school. Some of the pupils are high level prospects in various sports. Kenić and Cvetinović were members of Crvena Zvezda U19 team when the photo was taken (shorty thereafter Cvetinović moved to Metalac Valjevo).

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              I'm ~188cm, not tall for bball player of course but well in my school days I've never been highest in any of my classes, at some even one of lowest

P.s. in this photo obviously american player is PG, but also angle of photo is such that it's very hard to measure the real heights, but it's tall kids nonetheless
              188cm was one of shortest sometimes? Impressive! 188 cm is tall at American high schools, usually. Were there so many your schoolmates were over 190cm, even a lot of guys were 200 cm+, when you were at the Serbian high school?

Comment

Originally posted by serbianhoops View Post
                The player is Crvena Zvezda's 6'3" (191 cm) tall guard Charles Jenkins. Appearing in the photo, 6'11" (210 cm) Pavle Cvetinović (the blond guy behind Jenkins) & 6'7" (202 cm) Stefan Kenić (just on the right of Jenkins, grey jogging suit).

PS: Not a regular high school, picture was taken at the Belgrade's first sport high school. Some of the pupils are high level prospects in various sports. Kenić and Cvetinović were members of Crvena Zvezda U19 team when the photo was taken (shorty thereafter Cvetinović moved to Metalac Valjevo).
                Thank you so much. I heard of that even Serbian regular students are very tall also, even they are not professional athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by tallwestman View Post
                  188cm was one of shortest sometimes? Impressive! 188 cm is tall at American high schools, usually. Were there so many your schoolmates were over 190cm, even a lot of guys were 200 cm+, when you were at the Serbian high school?
                  I'm Lithuanian I've had only one classmate who was a bit over 200cm, couple over 190cm, while majority were 185-190cm and couple shorter guys, maybe ~180cm

Comment

I'm Lithuanian I've had only one classmate who was a bit over 200cm, couple over 190cm, while majority were 185-190cm and couple shorter guys, maybe ~180cm
                    Lithuanian is tall people also. Nowadays, LAURYNAS BIRUTIS is 213 without shoes, born in 1996, MINDAUGAS KUPSAS is 216 without shoes, born in 1991, JONAS VALANCIUNAS is 210 ,born in 1992, Donatas Motiejūnas is 213 born in 1990, besides them, there are many other tall young Lithuanians there. Consider Lithuania only has 3 million population, this is land of tall men.

PS: How many guys were in your class when you were at Lithuanian high school?

Comment

Interesting posts, just to add my thougt.
                      I'm from Belgrade and i went to one of 15 general gymnasiums here. I'm 197 cm tall right now (I'm 22), and i guess at 18 years old i was approx. 193cm tall, and i can't say i wasn't considered tall, but not many people had impression im that tall to mention it. Generally people here got used to, ofcourse there were numbers of short girls that were like "oh you're so tall when yuo stand next to me!" but that wasn't all the time.
                      My roots from father's side are from Herzegovina region, which is considered as no. 1 by average height in whole region (maybe even Europe?) if im not wrong. From my mother's side most of family members are considered to be average height.
                      My brother is ~193 and is considered not tall to be mentioned, definitely.
                      None of us were in sports that much to have an effect, I was into Volleyball while I was 12 years old for 6 months and that would be it.
                      So I my height is purely because of my fathers genes, because I've heard that all my ancestors from Herzegovina were very tall, my father is at same height as me, my grandpa was a little bit shorter than me, and so on.

Comment

As a visitor to Balkan countries and Netherlands, both are considered the tallest in the world, I can say that Balkan boys are a bit shorter than Dutchmen at general. In the other hand, it's more possible to see " extra" tall people like + 200cm in Balkans but there are also short ones according to my observations. In Netherlands, it's like everyone is between 185-195 cm and very hard to see -180 cm. As a 186 cm guy, nearly all dutch guys were towering me but I did not see +200 cm guy as much as I see in Balkan countries. I mean that Balkans probably have more extra tall guys but Dutchmen are taller at general

Comment

Originally posted by tallwestman View Post
                          Lithuanian is tall people also. Nowadays, LAURYNAS BIRUTIS is 213 without shoes, born in 1996, MINDAUGAS KUPSAS is 216 without shoes, born in 1991, JONAS VALANCIUNAS is 210 ,born in 1992, Donatas Motiejūnas is 213 born in 1990, besides them, there are many other tall young Lithuanians there. Consider Lithuania only has 3 million population, this is land of tall men.

PS: How many guys were in your class when you were at Lithuanian high school?
                          Missed your question When I moved to new school for my final two years (11-12th grade) there were 10 guys in my class, I was ~5th tallest guy

Comment

Originally posted by Dule_Vujosevic View Post
                            Interesting posts, just to add my thougt.
                            I'm from Belgrade and i went to one of 15 general gymnasiums here. I'm 197 cm tall right now (I'm 22), and i guess at 18 years old i was approx. 193cm tall, and i can't say i wasn't considered tall, but not many people had impression im that tall to mention it. Generally people here got used to, ofcourse there were numbers of short girls that were like "oh you're so tall when yuo stand next to me!" but that wasn't all the time.
                            My roots from father's side are from Herzegovina region, which is considered as no. 1 by average height in whole region (maybe even Europe?) if im not wrong. From my mother's side most of family members are considered to be average height.
                            My brother is ~193 and is considered not tall to be mentioned, definitely.
                            None of us were in sports that much to have an effect, I was into Volleyball while I was 12 years old for 6 months and that would be it.
                            So I my height is purely because of my fathers genes, because I've heard that all my ancestors from Herzegovina were very tall, my father is at same height as me, my grandpa was a little bit shorter than me, and so on.
                            Interesting observation. Thanks! The new data proves your thought, Bosnia and Herzegovina is tallest nation now. Male 183.87 and female 171.82. Here the link: http://www.mjssm.me/clanci/MJSSM_Mar...ovic_29-36.pdf

I heard of that there is common to see a Serbian boy is 200 cm+. I am curious how often you meet a young Serbian(17 & 18 years old) is taller than 2 meter? Croatia has a record that one out of 50 young Croatians is 200 cm or taller. What about Serbian new generation?

Comment

Missed your question When I moved to new school for my final two years (11-12th grade) there were 10 guys in my class, I was ~5th tallest guy

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Mindozas. I appreciate that. Did other classes have the same situation when you were at the school? 188 cm was median among the boys? If many classes were as tall as your class, it would mean around 25% Lithuanian guys are 188+ at 11-12th grade, which would be a great valuable data.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information