FIBA vs ULEB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    Yeah, yeah, heard about it - next season of BCL once again the best ever, organizing FIBA qualifying windows was the best decision ever taken and etc
    and what exactly european basketball got from closed ECA Euroleague?
    season 2018/2019 being best ever?
    quality of basketball played being more superior then before?
    new superstar players in the making in Europe?
    if anything, the difference between the poor, medium rich, rich and super rich is now greater then ever with no changes to that on sight.
    3 F4's organized in this new format, 6 clubs played it.
    Fenerbahce, Real and CSKA played at all three of them.

just for comparison, in the last three seasons before the new format we had 8 different clubs playing at F4's.

in the closed euroleague, are the clubs profitable?
    how long will it take for that to happen?
    or the only one who is profiting from it is only ECA.

everyone cursed FIBA for having wildcards in national team competitions (which btw. they abandoned for the next OG qualifying tournament. or it looks like that.)
    ECA just gave a EL spot to the highest bidder.. to a team with no history, fans or any other value.
    i see european basketball greatly benefiting from that.
    sure, FIBA is not great but don't act like ECA is any better then they are.
    Last edited by Picek; 06-30-2019, 09:48 PM.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Picek View Post
      and what exactly european basketball got from closed ECA Euroleague?
      FIBA is not great but don't act like ECA is any better then they are.
      Don't put words into my mouth, pal. Did I say a word about EL or how great it is? Not a single one. You are chasing shadows here... You don't have to come at me with a lecture how bad EL and Jordi is to hide the sh*t FIBA did. It's only them and their inactivity and stubbornness to blame that Jordi and closed EL happened at all

Comment

• Their incapability to run the top european competition in the 90ies definately is to blame. However the recent happenings regarding NT windows is Jordi's doing. The funny thing about social skills I've mentioned earlier, half of europe believe that was Fiba screwing everyone up with some ilogical system, while it was in fact Jordi. No matter how many people will explain the situation one step after another, most of the media will jump at the Fiba for their supposed incompetence (while in fact, guys making that changes came over from Fifa, so I'd dare saying they might have an idea or two...)
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Yeah, give job to football people to reorganize basketball. Total nonsense on FIBA's part, if truth. Football and basketball are two completely different sports, they're not relatable. Besides in football individual institution like NBA doesn't exist.

In my eyes mid season windows were complete failure. Didn't watch any Lithuanian NT's games, when the best players didn't play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaunietis View Post
            Yeah, give job to football people to reorganize basketball. Total nonsense on FIBA's part, if truth. Football and basketball are two completely different sports, they're not relatable. Besides in football individual institution like NBA doesn't exist.

In my eyes mid season windows were complete failure. Didn't watch any Lithuanian NT's games, when the best players didn't play.
            Well, both are sports and a lot of how to run a competition consequently applies to both. When it comes to marketing, having the experience with the best club competition in the world, might just help a bit more than knowing the complex technical aspects of ball release when shooting free throws. And that is exactly the problem most basketball organisations fail to understand. That they need experts on their field instead of filling vacant job positions with former basketball players that have nowhere else to go.
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Jordi is also embracing his inner FIFA person. According to serbian press. He sold place in the Euroleague to Zenit for 8mln. Allegedly made a deal for 3 years contract under the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                It's been known that FIBA is stubborn and stuck in 20th century, that's only one detail of that. Will they change or bring new people with innovations, new ideas? Highly unlikely. They could've done this decade ago at least, even earlier, but nothing was done. These oldies tries to keep their chairs and control everything generation by generation. When some new person in charge appears, you can expect, hope for changes, but instead you get the same old stuff all over again from these apprentices. And it's even get worse, look at NTs stuff, what they've done and they even claims that the plan worked out perfectly...
                Thank god for Jordi and his modern ideas.Euroleague officially totally independent from domestic leagues as of yesterday.Next step,games in weekends.My regards to Rytas,Limoges and the rest of useful idiots in Jordi's system.

Comment

• Okay...

So the Euroleague has decided to change its access system by completely ignoring national league qualification from the 2020/21 season and forward. In the future there will be:

11 clubs with A-licenses
                  5 wild cards (of which ASVEL Villeurbanne and FC Bayern Munich will automatically recieve 2 in the upcomming seasons)
                  2 EuroCup licenses (winner and runner-up. However, if the winner of the EuroCup qualifies for the playoffs in the Euroleague, then it will maintain its spot in the Euroleague in the follwing season. Thus, the runner-up of the EuroCup will not gain a spot if the EuroCup winner qualifies for the Euroleague playoffs).

So... Good news for the EuroCup teams I suppose? Now they will have a greater chance to enter the Euroleague through the EuroCup.

Good for Valencia too. They have a great chance to stay in the competition for 2 years now, if they qualify for the Euroleague playoffs. At the same time, however, it is pretty bad for them if they don't, since they cannot qualify through the Spanish ACB.

Big loss for the national leagues I suppose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                    Thank god for Jordi and his modern ideas.Euroleague officially totally independent from domestic leagues as of yesterday.Next step,games in weekends.My regards to Rytas,Limoges and the rest of useful idiots in Jordi's system.
                    What should those do? Go to FIBA?

Comment

• EuroLeague is clearly on its way to becoming a closed league. I bet other clubs will watch to see how Olympiacos does with no real domestic commitments and may follow suit if it seems beneficial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
                        What should those do? Go to FIBA?
                        they can do whatever the hell they want.What i wrote is the truth.They are the useful idiots of Jordi's system.They got no chance in hell of playing ever in Jordi Cup yet they support him.Jordi will never give a second wild card to a tiny market like Lietuva and they arent good enough to win the eurocup.Path from domestic leagues closed as well.What in the world do those teams earn playing there.As i said a case of Stockholm syndrome.

So... Good news for the EuroCup teams I suppose? Now they will have a greater chance to enter the Euroleague through the EuroCup.
                        Why?Eurocup will have 2 places instead of one.Big deal.And depending on how the eurocup teams in euroleague perform it could only be one place.Dont see much of an upgrade.And there were ppl who thought Bertomeu would implement a relegation-promotion system between Jordi Cup A and Jordi Cup B.The whole new system is an excuse for him to hand out his beloved wild cards to the highest bidders with no annoying restrictions.Great news for Russian teams mainly and..PSG..or Manchester United BC.The only kind of clubs Jordi seems to care about.

Comment

• Even ULEB is against ECA decision.
                          Organization from which ECA evolved.
                          Jordi scum created a monster.
                          "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

• Next step is to build the wall around the whole "casa de papel" and becoming a "super league". The new system is boring as fuck with so many dead games and in comprehension to the good old times the intensity is a joke due to the marathon the players have to run every single season, because of this retarded system. Since there is no way the players gonna play around 80 games each season for some years and my forecast that most of the A-licence teams wouldn´t financially benefit from only playing Euroleague, this whole system is (hopefully!) running straight into his expiry date.

Comment

• Remember when people used to argue that club football was so much more of a meritocracy?

FIFA-backed European Premier League reportedly nearing inception with Manchester United and Liverpool in discussions to become founding members

Secret conversations

For years, the proposal of a European Super League has been touted.. As far back as the 1990s, proposals for Europe’s biggest teams to break away from their domestic shackles and form a league of their own have been rumoured.

On Tuesday, news broke that Manchester United and Liverpool have been involved in talks surrounding a FIFA-backed tournament. It would comprise of 18 teams which would play a knock-out style system throughout the typical European season.

The report indicates that 5 English clubs could be in line to join the competition. The names of the other 3 sides are yet to be revealed. The Premier League is known for the ‘Big 6’ of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.

If the reports prove truthful, one of those teams could indeed miss out. A report by Der Spiegel from 2018 stated that the teams included would be those with the greatest television presence and not necessarily those who had performed the best in European competition.

This means whilst Arsenal have been without Champions League football for several seasons, the draw and attention they garner would grant them entry. In fact, Arsenal were named on a list of 11 clubs in the same Der Spiegel report as possible “founders.”

Full list:

Real Madrid
                              Barcelona
                              Manchester United
                              Juventus
                              Chelsea
                              Arsenal
                              PSG
                              Manchester City
                              Liverpool
                              AC Milan
                              Bayern Munich

The Champions League itself is still a relatively new idea. The European Cup was previously comprised of purely the winners of the respective leagues throughout Europe. It expanded in the 1992/93 season and has evolved since.

Fans love the competition and many clubs who were not their country’s respective champions have won the trophy. The plans may seem outlandish initially but could, in time, similar to the Champions League, become the new normal.

The difference however is that hundreds of clubs would be effectively excluded. League systems would lose qualification positions and the money from the competition would be distributed solely to its members. Effectively widening the gap between the richest clubs and their counterparts.

A Sky News source described the proposal as “potentially the most important development in world club football for decades”.

Conflicting information within the report suggested the new FIFA tournament could get a formal announcement as early as this month. However, with no news as to any clubs officially signing up, things could remain unknown for longer.

A key factor within the report cited that UEFA’s backing of the proposal does not exist. Without it, there may be problems with its organization and implementation.

However, as is with football, money talks. US bank JP Morgan are supposedly looking to provide $6 billion worth of backing to aid with a launch.

It appears increasingly likely that the landscape of football will soon change again. Be it for the better, we do not yet know, but there will almost certainly clubs who suffer as a result.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information