FIBA vs ULEB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA vs ULEB

FIBa doesnt recognize ABA league anymore they will recognize Balkan League(BIBL) from the next season on teams will have to get back to their national leagues?also i guess Serbian teams will stay with ABA league cuz in Balkan League play Prishtina xD
    http://www.b92.net/sport/kosarka/ves...&nav_id=966196 what now?
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

That's probably a test battle ground for trying to change Uleb which is supposedly coming up soon. If Adriatic league isn't suitable because it's in "private hands" (as far as I understood from previous articles that's supposed to be the issue) than eventhough there are probably legal differences as always, Euroleague is kind of the same.
    Sure as hell don't want my team to play in BIBL next season.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Who cares what FIBA recognize...Serbian slubs support ABA and ULEB.

Comment

Originally posted by Obina View Post
        It's far from being that simple, if Fiba is willing to go long way with ABA, they've got the tools to make damage. Luckily I believe their goal is probably only pressing on Uleb to negotiate about some issues. If Radovan Lorbek is their counterpart in negotiations I sure as hell understand they're not able to talk things through otherwise.
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Obina View Post
          next season FIBA Euroleague finals Prishtina-Kumanovo

Comment

Here we go...
            eurohoops reported:
            UPDATE: FIBA all but confirmed its intension for a new European clubs league. Buried in the press release about the decision for the 2019 World Cup to be played in Asia, there also this small detail:

– The Executive Committee was given a progress report on the remodeling of the European club competitions; it gave the green light to continue with the work, and if required by the project, to invest significant funds together with FIBA Europe.
            ...and that's a big thing even if it's a two weeks old news already. While the funds Fiba Europe gets with eurobasket might not be sufficient to battle with euroleague, world championship is a bit different topic as far as money goes. And if Fiba world intends to invest there, they obviously must be serious about it.

Meetings among clubs, federations, Fiba, Uleb are already taking place, so get prepared for the frenzy.

I'm especialy interested in what's going on in Turkey? Efes and Turkish airlines are the main euroleague sponsors while Turgay Demirel is also the president of Fiba Europe - I think those 3 must already have talked a bit on this matter.
            Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 04-09-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

As I can't keep still, being interested in fiba vs. Uleb and all, I've tried to use google translator a bit more as well as disturb some of the ibn forum granpa's from their sleep, that should have known a thing or two about the situation.

-there is a meeting today in Mien, Switzerland
              All the federations were summoned for it, Fiba Europe will reportedly present them with their plan of taking over the clubs competition and leave them some short time window (a month?) to pledge their support on the matter. Support of most federations isn't even questionable, but we all know it's the big federations that matter, anyway. The meeting is being run by Patrick Bauman, secretary general, which means whole Fiba means business here.

- Fiba supposedly realises they want to avoid the same scenario of the prolongued "great schism" of 01'
              That didn't benefit to anyone, bball, Fiba or Uleb and has probably set back euro bball for a few years. Fiba intends to act swiftly due to that, each side sharing half of the clubs out there as in 2000 is out of the question and by all the logic they're supposed to have a plan for it, backed by money. If Fiba won't make it, they will supposedly retreat quietly without making some big noise along with it. Two leagues running simultaneusly is supposed to be highly unlikely this time.

-Uleb is reportedly weak financialy
              Fiba isn't exactly rich either, yet they can afford sustaining such competition. If Turgay got the Turkish sponsors under his belt, than the battle is halfway won for Fiba.
              Turkish Airlines contract with the euroleague brings about 5 million € per season to euroleague, Efes's deal expires this summer.

-as far as ABA goes, the latest reports in Serbian media are about the worth of Blic, hilariously cited all over, reportedly even in Italy and Israel...
              Fiba baning 6 federations out of the next eurobasket banning exactly one quarter of teams with one move is hilarious and I wholefully agree that's not even something to threaten with in the first place. The plan with ABA is obvious, keeping a shorter ABA, handing it's allegiance and turning it into federations (instead of individual clubs) owned entity. If it wasn't for the financing part, easily doable, in any case, not worth the worries and panic I'm seeing

-among the reasons for this move are, Uleb's weak finances, ambitious set of Fiba personel, and proclaimed changes as far as euroleague format goes towards closing up the league. As a strickt pro-UEFA model type of guy, won't even comment on my happiness on the latter.
              I've got no answers on Fiba building up the competition from scratch or just taking over the leading structures @ euroleague, or who's with who at this moment, majority says they've got to see the presentation first to make a call.

Comment

Great news.The dictatorship is coming to an end.No more closed leagues,no more A,B,C,D licences.God Bless Bauman and Demirel.

Comment

hopefully that would be it, everyone are pretty cautious in saying what is all this supposed to mean as a package. I'm not in particular enthusiastic about the mid-seasons pause for the national team qualifications though, which I believe could be in the package or with euroleague being played in 2500 or less capacity gyms once again, but euroleague being led through sportive criteria's would be a damn good start. Not to mention avoiding 12-14 clubs kidnapping the whole club competition and running the show as if their euroleague place was granted by God himself.

Comment

From the meeting in Mies it's confirmed that Adriatic league as such is done in Fiba's eyes. More detailed discussions are set for tommorow. Nesterovič says that the federations from ex-Yugoslavia will have to organise meetings weekly in order to solve things out and establish a new league. Rašo is openly pro-Fiba though, I'm also interested in what the opposite side will have to say to that.
                    Fiba trying to take things over might sound like a science fiction to some, while I don't even write down stuff such as Rašo confirmed Fiba intends to do that.

Reportedly some Greek site was reporting about Jordi meeting with some Greek clubs (Pao? Oly? might be in Barcelona today where he had the meeting with euroleague clubs) promising a noticably bigger piece of the pie for the next season?
                    Is that true or false or is it just some minor media guess?
                    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                      Here we go...
                      eurohoops reported:

...and that's a big thing even if it's a two weeks old news already. While the funds Fiba Europe gets with eurobasket might not be sufficient to battle with euroleague, world championship is a bit different topic as far as money goes. And if Fiba world intends to invest there, they obviously must be serious about it.

Meetings among clubs, federations, Fiba, Uleb are already taking place, so get prepared for the frenzy.

I'm especialy interested in what's going on in Turkey? Efes and Turkish airlines are the main euroleague sponsors while Turgay Demirel is also the president of Fiba Europe - I think those 3 must already have talked a bit on this matter.
                      as far as i know turkish airlines doesnt want to continiue to sponsor euroleague

Comment

Bertomeu shilded by the big clubs (eurohoops.net) which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. With the new model they would lose influence on the decisionmaking, would have to qualify to euroleague, the closed league that Uleb claims to pursue is in their best interest, while just as the article says, they are left in the dark as far as what Fiba is offering to them.
                        The trouble for Uleb will be smaller clubs, especialy the ones disturbed by euroleague shielding their big counterparts and top10-15 clubs on their side aren't enough for Uleb to succeed.

Eurochallenge is being connected in the upper article as a platform for the upcoming Fiba's euroleague - if that's true and we are not talking about a smokescreen obvious to a 5 year old, than it's not really good start for Fiba. I understand they intend to wait with informations to shorten up Uleb's responsive time, but with the media silence they're also making possible some speculations that aren't exactly favourable for them either.

Comment

Another day another update:

G. Terzič who is a credible source as far as Slovenian basketball goes claims ex-Yu federations were told there would be sanctions as far as 2016 Rio olympic goes in case the federations wouldn't comply with Fiba - as I stated above, it's "all or nothing game" for Fiba, while these sanctions in reality won't take place as either they won't be neccesary or Fiba will be forced to move out entirely from those demands beforehand in case they fail (not coming from Terzič)- but Terzič also claims that yesterday the federations of Italy, France, Spain, Greece and some others (not explicitly stated which) were presented with the same ultimatum.
                          There is supposed to be one more background reason behind all this, as Bertomeu and Fiba supposedly reached some kind of an agreement about cooperation a while ago, under which Bertomeu would also gain a function within Fiba, but Bertomeu later changed his mind and Fiba obviously decided to reach their demands the hard way.
                          Terzič is citing Radovan Lorbek, one of Uleb's vice presidents (feel free to pass this part as it's worth about as much as an average bball conversation with a stranger in a supermarket):
                          Fiba believes they've got the power to pull this through, but I believe the clubs won't agree to that. Basketball fuctions best in the USA. They've got two levels. NBA and NCAA. NBA is a profesional league. Fiba doesn't have any weight/importance/say (hard to translate as it has little point in the original). NBA and NCAA have weight /importance because they've got money. Noone can decide in their name accordingly. American federation takes the players from the NBA. US national team is in fact an NBA national team, meaning the US league NT, not of the federation. And what Fiba wants is exactly the opposite from the system, that works best in the world.

My best apologies for the upper translation, a word, two give or take would be translated differently by a profesional, but it does show Lorbek's inability to stress out a legit comparison or round up what's actualy going on in a plausible, sensible way. If that's Jordi's philosophy as well, I would personaly re-think about Uleb's optimism, as much as I want to stay fair to Uleb - as impossible that might be for me, as I already had a 180 degrees different opinion than they do on some of these matters a decade ago. Apples and oranges Mr Lorbek. But that again that's just one more example of Lorbek senior lacking rethorical skills.

link in Slovenian

Petrucci (the head of Italian federation) says nothing in particular just that there were talks and that he'll present this project with the clubs interested in it, the confusing part is when he is mentioning cooperation with the NBA. I have doubts that would mean NBA would actually allow a time-window for winter NT qualifications phase which Fiba advertised as of recently, but than again I can't connect any other dots with NBA and what's currently been going on and I don't think he has been talking about the recent NBA+Fiba camp in Cuba.
                          One in particular interesting thing is that Italian media have been by far most active on the subject, along with the media from ex-Yu, it's not proportional with other language groups, at least as far as I can tell. My Italian friend says Uleb's suggestions that they don't like the clubs from the smaller 100-150k cities didn't fare well with most of the clubs in Lega, which are mostly coming from exactly such places and consider Uleb's plans of an eventualy closed league as a threat accordingly.
                          He also says role of Eduardo Portela (uleb president) is unclear here and that there is a branch of Uleb with a different vision of future development of the euroleague, which might in turn press on Bertomeu to find a middle way.

-Fiba is supposed to receive almost an unanimous support of practicaly all medium-small federations and generaly of non-euroleague teams, especialy those screwed by the licences
                          -Fiba europe with support of Fiba world has the leverage due to TV rights on eurobasket and world championship, that are more desired by the TV stations than euroleague, might be selling all of those in packages and turn the tide with it
                          -Fiba E has the financial support of Fiba World if we believe the source above, which by some sources isn't exactly the poorest entity out there
                          -people claim Fiba has the upper hand as far as the leading personel goes (although I share this opinion, mine is purely observational)
                          -has the tools to make lots of harm if they'd stobournly go with sanctioning federations and the referees

on the other hand
                          -Uleb has the leverage with the big 10-14 clubs that would lose some of their priviledges in case Fiba wins.
                          -has the infrastructure and continuosity on their side
                          -currently has the better overall image with an average fan due to Fiba's 01' loss

might go both ways:
                          -Uleb has the upper hand with Fiba's public image, although the latter can turn that around in case they go with some logical sort of UEFA model vast majority of average fans identify more than with euroleague licences.
                          -Potentialy without Turkish Airlines and Efes as sponsors buying off teams Uleb deems most important, which is exactly what will happen, would become increasingly difficult for Uleb.
                          -Intersport and Bwin are sponsoring both the euroleague and Fiba, not sure if the nature of these sponsorship includes money or if it's a partnership deal only, but they might find themselves in a position where they would have to choose between the two
                          -Euroleague broadcasters will surely try to take advantage of the situation and decrease themselves the sum payed for TV rights, which should effect both Fiba and Uleb, exponentialy with the time it will take to solve this thing out

My take:
                          if Turgay Demirel gets TA and Efes as well as other sponsors to switch or at least stall somehow (no idea)
                          if Fiba presents a viable championship league model, communicate that well with the fans and gain their support (they're expected to try that)
                          if Fiba E gets Spanish, German, Italian, Turkish +1,2 1st leagues on their sides, no matter the big clubs (that's a looong topic, but not all that unlikely)
                          if they outspend Uleb (very likely)

...they probably might have much easier path than imagined,

If Uleb keeps their sponsors (no idea, might not be an easy job) and finds the money to suddenly increase earnings of those top few clubs (will definately try, probably won't succed), Fiba would be screwed and their reputation would suffer immensely, to the extent in other economy/political systems whole leading garniture would be expected to resign after such debacle

most likely and imo by far least painful: hybrid solution, current euroleague management being forced out by leagues, sponsors and/or clubschanging their minds in no particular order at some point during the summer, federations/Fiba taking over shares of the clubs in euroleague and the whole stuff running again next year as if nothing happened, with some organisational changes as far as leading euroleague and competition system is concerned.
                          Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 04-10-2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

If what encestando.es is reporting would be true, that's a huge thing

to sum it:
                            -since 2016/2017 euroleague would consist of only 16 teams
                            -was reportedly discussed and supported, not formaly ratified by the clubs yesterday
                            -15 home, 15 away games, 30 games alltogether, from october to april, no top16 stage
                            -top8 stage in may, followed by final four
                            -2015/2016 season continues as ussual
                            -didn't understood how teams are supposed to be selected in euroleague or if it's supposed to be a closed league or not, any Spanish help with the translation appreciated here

This might be a smokescreen as it suits Fiba's recent ambitions just too much for Jordi's sake. If it's not a smokescreen, in my opinion, this might proove to be a more desperate move by Bertomeu I imagined possible at this stage. With all this invoked and in case majority of the clubs involved would held licences as one would logicaly expect from Bertomeu's general philosophy, be sure practicaly noone but those licenced clubs would support Uleb on the matter. wow

edit: This comes as a likely explanation of the "bomb" that crossed the Serbian media yesterday that only 1 club from ABA would play in euroleague, although they said nothing of when that would happen, the next season or the season after.

A writer from Glas srpske claims the same, 16 teams in euroleague with:
                            Barcelona, Real, Unicaja, Bayern, Armani, CSKA, Maccabi, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, Fenerbahce, Efes getting the licences and a special invitations to Laboral, Alba, Khimki, Žalgiris and ABA league champion.
                            Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

that would be the end of Euroleague i mean why should i follow Euroleague at all if there is only one club from ABA? and im alredy sick of watching the same teams again and again playing in top8 and f4

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information