8.Moamen Abo Eleneen (199-F-86)-Al Ittihad
    9.Ibrahim Elgammal(188-G-88)-Al Ahly
    10.Mohananad Elsabagh(182-PG-88)-Al Ittihad
    11.Sherif Genidy (188-G-79)-Zamalek
    12.Yossef Shousha(192-G-93)-Sporting
    13.Moustafa Mekawy(206-C-94)-Zamalek
    14.Rami Ibrahim (203-F/C-88)-Al Ittihad
    15.Ashraf Rabea (205-PF-83)-Al Ittihad

Wael Badr and Sherif Genidy are retired from the national team .

Now : My Wish for the National team Roster for 2015 is:
    1.Omar Abbas(185 cm-PG-92)-District of Columbia Firebirds-NCAA
    2.Ehab Amin (187-PG-95)-Texas A&M Islanders-NCAA I
    3.Yusuf Shehata (PG-175-97)- Bellevue Bruins -NAIA
    4.Jusuf Eldomiaty (187-G-90)-Eisbaren Bremerhaven-BBL-Germany
    5.Walid Ahmed(185-G-95)-Northeastern New Mexico Eagles-NAIA
    6.Ismail Ahmed(205cm-SF-76)-Al Riyadi-Lebanon
    7.Abel Nader(201-SF-93)-Iowa State Cyclones- NCAA I
    8.Assem Marei(206-F-92)-Minnesota State Mavericks- NCAA II
    9.Aly Ahmed ((206-F-92)-CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners- NCAA I
    10.Omar Samhan (211-C-88)- Texas Legends- NBA D-League
    11.Anas Osama(217 cm -C-95)-Louisville Cardinals- NCAA I
    12.Omar Oraby (218-C-91)-Gezira- ESL

If there is a chance for a naturalized player I suggest :
    1.Chauncey Leslie (183-G-83) of Al Ittihad
    http://basketball.afrobasket.com/pla...exandria/32928
    2.Daires Gary (185-PG-88) of Smouha
    http://basketball.afrobasket.com/pla...Somouha/136611
    2015 Schedule:

Friendly Games

21st Arab Championship (5-15 June)

1st Nile International Tournament (July 2015)

28th FIBA African Championship (20-30 August)

11th All African Games (4-19 September )
    Last edited by lemo; 11-21-2015, 11:39 AM.

Jusuf El Domiaty - Esibaren Bremerhaven - BBL - Germany

Yusuf El-Domiaty (* 11 October 1990 in Braunschweig , Lower Saxony ) is a German professional basketball player of an Egyptian - Bosnian descent.
    El-Domiaty first played successfully in his hometown basketball and became youth international .
    Since 2011, he has played in Bremerhaven, initially only the cooperation partner Cuxhaven BasCats in the second division ProA firm and since the 2012/13 season in the first division squad of polar bears .
    Career
    El-Domiaty played in the youth teams of SG Braunschweig and using dual-license and from 2006 onwards in the men's team Spot Up Media Baskets (SUM Baskets) in the ProB . After he had almost reached the U18 national team at the European Championship 2008 finals in the league in the group of the 16 best European junior national teams, he played in the 2008/09 ProB mainly for the SUM Baskets and was only sporadically in the junior basketball -Bundesliga used. In the ProB 2009/10 he confirmed this with an operating time of almost 30 minutes and ten points per game and was first brief appearances in the top-flight of the New Yorker Phantoms in the top division basketball league . After it came out not in the following season, he decided in 2011 to a change of club.

Since 2011 plays El-Domiaty in Bremerhaven . The first division polar bears were the junior player in the 2011-12 season, however, initially for its cooperation partners BasCats from Cuxhaven in the second division ProA on. In the ProA 2011/12 El-Domiaty was one of the strongest players and was called "Youngster of January 2012" [1] and awarded at the end of the season as "Youngster of the Year" (the 2011-12 season). [2] After he using the double license already in the 2011/12 National Basketball League had three brief assignments with the polar bear in the top division, he was in the Basketball Bundesliga 2012/13 underwritten in the cadre of top-flight Bremerhaven.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jusuf_El-Domiaty
    Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Sami El Eraky - Pacific Tigers- NCAA I

Dane hopes to be great

STOCKTON - Pacific's new big man on campus has arrived.
      Sami Eleraky, a 7-foot sophomore, joined his new teammates for workouts on June 15 and has participated in some light work with coach Ron Verlin and his staff and played in some open gym games. Verlin, who is getting his first prolonged look at eight newcomers, said Eleraky (pronounced Ella-rocky) is the favorite to be the starting center in the fall.
      "He's a smart kid and his upside is huge, but it's going to take us time to develop him," Verlin said. "Defensively, he's going to affect the game immediately; he's a shot-blocker and rim protector. Now we have to improve him offensively and get him more comfortable.
      "But, man, does he work hard in the gym with everything I give him to do. Sami is going to become a fine player."
      Eleraky hasn't decided on a major but is leaning toward English, his favorite subject since the first grade. The soft-spoken native of Denmark, who averaged 4.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks for City College of San Francisco last season, admits his current post game consists mostly of a right-handed hook shot, but he believes he will make an impact immediately.
      "I just want to be a presence inside, play defense, block shots, get some put-backs," he said. "I have three years here to continue my development."
      The 21-year-old committed to Cal in 2012 but but didn't qualify academically, so he enrolled at Barton Community College in Kansas for a semester, but never played there. Then, Eleraky transferred to CCSF where he played limited minutes on a team with six Division I transfers, including Pacific teammate and fellow newcomer Dulani Robinson. Eleraky said the two-year odyssey toughened him up and taught him a lot about American life. Eleraky chose to come to Pacific because Verlin took time to recruit him personally and he wanted an opportunity to play major minutes in his first season.
      The Dane, who was born to Egyptian immigrants Eissa Eleraky and Hannaa Elhamamy, didn't play basketball until he was 14 despite being 6-8. He preferred soccer but was persuaded to try basketball by a physics teacher who coached a local club team in Aalborg, Denmark.
      "He told me, 'you're tall, why don't you play basketball?' " Eleraky said. "After one practice, I liked it and kept on playing. By age 17, it became serious."
      Eleraky began receiving interest from American college programs the following year and played in numerous European under-18 tournaments for Denmark before coming to the United States in the summer of 2012.
      After having trouble against the bigger, better teams of the West Coast Conference last season, Verlin is hopeful Eleraky, senior Gabriel Aguirre and junior transfer Eric Thompson will give the necessary size and skill level to combat the top front lines in the conference.
      "If I could get eight points and eight rebounds and four or five blocks out of (Eleraky) in 25 minutes, I'd be ecstatic," Verlin said. "In time, he'll really be able to score along with those other things."
      http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...328/-1/NEWSMAP
      Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Q&A: U of L's Egyptian big man Anas Mahmoud -Loisville Cardinals- NCAA I

Louisville freshman Anas Mahmoud came to the United States all of 14 months ago, and in that short span, he's gone from a 7-foot Egyptian forward loaded with potential to a Division I hoops player at one of the top programs in the country.

But before that, the 19-year-old lived through the tumultuous Arab Spring in Egypt, a movement that overthrew the Egyptian president and turned the streets of Cairo into chaos.

Here's the full profile story on Mahmoud.

The Courier-Journal spent an hour with Mahmoud in late October to get a better idea of who Mahmoud is as a person and a basketball player.

We started the conversation on how he ended up in the United States. Scrolling through this, you'll find his thoughts on the recruiting process, the Pitinos, trying to gain weight and being a teenager growing up in the Arab Spring. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mahmoud: It was always a dream to come here. Egyptian basketball, we are getting better overseas, but it's a dream for any Egyptian basketball player. It's a dream.

Jeff Greer: What's the biggest thing you've learned about the United States since you arrived here?

Mahmoud: In the U.S., a really, really big difference: Everything is a business.

JG: Even school.

Mahmoud: Even school ... Yeah, even school. School, basketball, everything. It's all about business. That's the biggest difference in life.

JG: What has your adjustment period been like?

Mahmoud: When I got here, I realized that there was a lot of stuff that I needed to learn about basketball in high school before I got to college. Maybe I had a little basketball in my head, but I needed to play tougher to play in college. That's why I stayed the whole year in high school. I felt like I needed to.

JG: You went through a recruiting process that plotted Rick and Richard Pitino against each other. Did that ever get awkward?

Mahmoud: That was a tough moment for me during that recruitment. When I'd talk with Coach Balado and Coach Pitino, I didn't want to say anything about Minnesota. Not because -- I didn't want to do anything between the father and the son. When I'd talk to Louisville, I wouldn't talk about Minnesota. Even when I went to Minnesota, I never talked about Louisville. I was trying to separate both.

JG: Were they the same way?

Mahmoud: Yeah. Coach P, he's a great coach. Richard will be, too.

JG: The players at Louisville always say it takes time to get used to Rick Pitino's coaching style. Do you agree with that assessment?

Mahmoud: I have been coached by a lot of coaches. I've been through a lot of Egyptian coaches, Spanish, Serb. What I love about Coach P is that he really cares about me. When I do something and he says, 'Just go to the treadmill or tells me something,' I never take it personally. He always says it's because he loves me and wants me to get better every day. You really feel it. I had a coach before who would always yell at me. I'd just get mad. But I can feel what Coach P is thinking about.

JG: Do you feel like you have a mountain of basketball to learn?

Mahmoud: We all keep learning until we die. (Laughs.) I really learned a lot from Coach P. Before I came here, I really felt like I'd learned enough about basketball, enough for me. But after I came here, I've learned a lot of things and a lot of different ways. He's taught me a lot.

JG: You hurt your knee in January (a slight meniscus tear that didn't require surgery). What happened?

Mahmoud: It was a hyperextension. A guy fell on my knee and it hyperextended. Obviously I didn't feel that it was so bad, so I just went out for five minutes. I continued playing the game and played the next day. There was a little bit of pain but I was just like, 'It's OK, it's just overextended.' The next day after that, I did it again ... I took two weeks off and tried to come back and play, but the doctor said there was no need to do that. He said you can do surgery if you want, or you can wait a few more weeks because the meniscus can heal on its own. When we did the MRI, it said it was a slight tear. I waited a week and he said it was really healing it.

JG: So no surgery.

Mahmoud: Once you do a surgery the first time, your knee will never be the same. That's what I was afraid of. If it heals on its own, it'll be 100 percent again. If you just do a surgery, it'll be 90 or 95 percent. That's why I was afraid of surgery.

JG: I read somewhere that you were a guard for a while before a growth spurt.

Mahmoud: I was a center when I was young, maybe 9 years old. I was tall, maybe 6-1. I played center the first three years I was a basketball player, but everybody got taller and bigger. I was still thin and I wasn't that tall anymore. The coach who taught me how to play basketball said I had to play guard. I didn't know how to shoot the ball. I didn't know how to dribble. I didn't know how to run the lanes. I was just a center, rebounding, blocking shots and scoring. He said, 'You can't play that role anymore.' He made me practice for two straight years just shooting and dribbling until I became a really good guard. I started to grow at 15. I went up to 6-4, so I started to play the 3. I was faster than the other guys because I was thin. I thought I would just be 6-4 because I grew and didn't stop again.

Then I started to grow again. When I got to the national team, I grew up to 7 feet. The first day of the national team, the coach made us stand from tallest to shortest. I was right in the middle. By the end of the year, I was the tallest guy. That was funny. I didn't really feel it through the year, but the last day, after we did the workout. He said he wanted to show us something. I looked to my left, and I just kept being taller than every guy until I was the last one in the line.

JG: Did you have any growing pains?

Mahmoud: None. Nothing at all. I didn't even really feel it. Probably because I didn't really look at it at all. It was really funny. At that point, I was the tallest guy on the team and I was still playing guard. But they said I couldn't anymore. I had to play (power forward). I'm a 7-footer but I wear a 13 for my shoes. My hands are big compared to a regular size, but for my size, they're small. (Fellow Louisville freshman Matz Stockman) is big. I'm just tall.

JG: The coaching staff keeps talking about you needing to add weight.

Mahmoud: I was really getting there but now I'm struggling. I need 10 more pounds and it's not coming ... For me, adding weight is harder than other people losing weight.

JG: What do you eat?

Mahmoud: Everything except pork. Coach P was joking last week. He was like, 'If you eat pork, pork will put some weight on you.' I tried a lot before to eat a lot. I went to a doctor, even before I went to the States, because I have to get weight. Every doctor said something different than the other one. I was trying hard to eat and sleep. It's just a matter of time.

Breakfast is important, the most important thing. I have a case of protein shakes and protein bars. Whenever I'm in class, I have to eat a bar and a shake. It's a little thing, but a shake is like 300 calories and 20 percent of protein.

There's lunch at 1 o'clock and dinner at 6. I eat again at 10 o'clock. Between lunch and dinner, we have practice, so I eat something before.

JG: Have you found good Egyptian food in the U.S.?

Mahmoud: No. Not here.

JG: What do you think of American food?

Mahmoud: American food is not bad, but it's almost fast food, just burgers, eggs, fries. Even Qdoba is not, like, food. I'm telling you, if you came to Egypt, oh my God. You would gain 20 pounds in two days. I'm telling you. The way Egyptians eat and how they use fats and salt ... It's really tasty.

JG: You have to find some here.

Mahmoud: I'm trying to but it's so hard. I didn't really learn how to cook when I was in Egypt.

JG: I still don't know how and I'm 28 ... There is some Arab food here, though, right?

Mahmoud: It's Arab, but not Egyptian. There's Lebanese and Tunisian food, but there's no Egyptian food. It's not like my mom's food.

JG: Let's switch gears a little bit ... How did you discover basketball?

Mahmoud: I was born in Egypt, and after one year, I traveled with my family to Dubai. We stayed there. Once I was 3 or 4, I liked basketball. My dad gave me a rim. I played with my sisters, whoever. I didn't know what I was doing. I was just playing. I came back to Egypt at 7. The first thing I was thinking about, because I was tall and thin was -- I want to play volleyball. I played volleyball for a half a year. It was so boring. I can't play that game. My dad was like, 'What do you want to play?' I said basketball.

JG: How did you start studying the game and learning about it?

Mahmoud: In the beginning, I just practiced. I loved being at the court and playing. I loved going and just shooting around and running. Even in the beginning, I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but I loved it. That's how it starts. Then you'd go to your club and you'd see the bigger guys playing.

JG: How do you keep in touch with your family back home?

Mahmoud: I'm Skyping and FaceTiming every day. The Internet makes it way easier for us. I couldn't imagine myself here in the 80s or something. Even the mail takes a month to get there.

JG: How are they handling you being over here?

Mahmoud: It's hard, especially for my mother. My dad, he's a great guy. He really understands what I'm doing here. My mom, she misses me. She trusts me, but she's still afraid. Any mother would think the same thing.

JG: I assume most Egyptian players know all about Alaa Abdelnaby? (The Egyptian-born 6-foot-10 big man was a McDonald's All-American who played at Duke and five years in the NBA.)

Mahmoud: Yeah, of course. It's just the history when you're on the national team. We always talk about the 70s and 80s.

JG: To be a teenager going through the Arab Spring, is there any way to even put that into words, what that experience was like?

Mahmoud: It's hard because you don't know who's right and who's wrong. You want the future. Whoever has the best future for you, you'll be on his side. I don't know how to say it. It was a tough time, the last couple years, not just for the young guys. The most annoying thing was that nobody knew who wants the country to be better and who doesn't. That was the tough thing and the tough decision with elections.

JG: How do you think Americans perceive the Egyptian turmoil?

Mahmoud: Whatever you saw, you saw fights and the news. You don't really know what's really going on between people and the government.

JG: Does that bother you?

Mahmoud: Yeah. It did. When you go outside of Egypt, a lot of people ask that question. People don't know why there's a conflict between the government and the people. If you want to know what's going on, you have to know why. People are asking for simple things: Respect and freedom. The old government didn't really cover that for people. Now it's better.

JG: That's the last thing I was going to ask. It seems like things have calmed down a lot. Does that make it easier for you to be here, away from your family?

Mahmoud: It's good, yeah. Even for me, it makes it easier for me so I don't have to worry about my brother or my mom.
        http://www.courier-journal.com/story...moud/18608795/
        Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Mohamed Bendary- New Jersy Institute of Technology-NCAA I

Mohamed Bendary wills himself through adversity, fasting, for basketball scholarship

Playing at a basketball camp with 600 athletes in front of college scouts is stressful enough. Imagine doing it on an empty stomach and with a parched mouth.

For 6-foot-8 power forward Mohamed Bendary, such an arduous task is second nature and, as he describes it, just a part of who he is as a practicing Muslim. The Hoops Group Elite Team Camp fell during Ramadan, meaning Bendary had to fast during the hot summer days.

“You eat as much as you can and you drink as much as you can before the sun comes up. But it didn’t really help because four hours in you feel like you didn’t eat or drink anything,” Bendary said. “It’s all about will. Will yourself through it.”

After Bendary’s freshman year at Bayonne High School, he and his family moved from Bayonne. His family moved to Bidwell Avenue in Jersey City, a neighborhood notorious for its high-crime rate. In Bayonne, Bendary was once accustomed to being able to walk home even at late hours, but after the move drug deals and vigils for shooting victims became a common sight on the route back to his house.

“It didn’t feel right. It felt like we didn’t really have options, we just had to deal with it,” Bendary said. “(But) it’s a situation where you just have to accept what it is and make the most of it.”

Such circumstances did not discourage Bendary. Rather, he saw the unfortunate situation as an opportunity, as the move allowed him to attend St. Anthony High School and play for its powerhouse basketball team, led by hall of fame coach Bob Hurley.

“I got to play for St. Anthony because I moved. That wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t move,” Bendary said. “Coach Hurley is like the oil to my engine. It’s great preparation for college. A lot of people go to college and they get shell-shocked. (They) have to lift, have to run, have to wake up early and go to the track, have to go to classes. we’re already doing all that.”

Bendary has always had a love for the game of basketball, first playing the sport in middle school. But with the opportunity to learn from Hurley, as well as the desire to make it out of his rough neighborhood, he became determined to obtain a college scholarship through basketball.

After seeing limited playing time last season, Bendary worked tirelessly all summer with St. Anthony assistant coach Dan Murphy to improve his shooting, footwork and knowledge of the game, all while fasting. In the end, after strong performances at the Hoop Group Elite Team Camp, Bendary received a scholarship offer from NJIT, signing his letter of intent on Nov. 12.

Bendary has dreams of playing for the Egyptian national team someday. And when his playing days are done, he plans to continue his basketball career as a coach.

“I feel basketball is my way out and I feel I really do need basketball. I’m definitely going to coach for the rest of my life, I’m definitely going to be involved with St. Anthony for the rest of my life.”
          http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...l-scholarship/
          Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Good read about Assem Marei
            Assem Marei, a 6-foot-9 senior, would love to be the N.B.A.’s second Egyptian-born player, but he expects to play in Europe after his career at Division II Minnesota State-Mankato.
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Omar El Manasterly-Jacksonville Dolphins- NCAA I

A-SUN INSIDER: NATIONAL EXPERIENCE HELPING EL MANASTERLY THRIVE AT JU

Courtesy of Patrick Wilkins

When looking into the past of Jacksonville University sophomore forward Omar El Manasterly, one gets the sense that this young man has traveled a road unlike those of many college sophomores.

Manasterly is an atypical college sophomore in that he was born in Alexandria, Egypt, to an Egyptian father and an American mother. He spent most of his life playing basketball and living in Egypt until his senior year of high school, when he and his family moved to back to the States and made a home in Texas in 2012.

Manasterly transferred to Austin High School in Sugar Land, Texas, towards the end of his high school career, but that is not where his basketball career begins. He started playing basketball at an early age which helped lead him to his playing time with the Egyptian U16 national team. The exposure at a national level helped shape the player that he is today.

"I think that's what helped me the most with basketball," Manasterly said. "It was all skill camps for the national team."

Not only was he able to develop his skills playing for the Egyptian national team, but he was also able to get a first-hand look at other national teams as well.

"Playing games against Germany and France allowed me to learn a lot of different styles of play," Manasterly said.

Manasterly has been able to use these priceless experiences from his time playing at the international level to help shape the player that he is today on the campus of Jacksonville University.

After being recruited by former assistant coach Will Jones, Manasterly made the decision to come to Jacksonville and stay at the university, even after a new coaching staff took over in April 2014. His hardnosed hustle has drawn the attention the new staff and Manasterly has been rewarded with increased playing time, becoming a regular in the rotation after appearing in only four games last season.

"I just really liked the campus," Manasterly said. "When I came and watched the team practice, I felt really comfortable around them. They were very welcoming." Although Manasterly is relatively new and has yet to receive his scholarship, he still has high expectations for his teammates and himself.

"I want to win the A-Sun Championship," Manasterly said. "I want a ring."
              http://atlanticsun.org/sports/mbkb/2...20150303tl6yys
              Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Ehab Amin - Texas A&M CC Islanders- NCAA I

AMIN BUSINESS

One of the players who has become a fan favorite is freshman and Alexandria, Egypt, native Ehab Amin. Amin plays at a high pace, often going after steals and preferring to push the tempo. He will throw himself around the court in search of deflections, and constantly creates chaos on the court. He is second on the team with his 33 fast-break points and 33 steals, though he is averaging just 15.1 minutes.

He first gained notoriety at St. Louis. With four-year starter Hameed Ali out due to injury, Amin came in midway through the second half and provided a huge spark. He started things by converting a traditional three-point play, then went on to knock down a pair of three-pointers from the right wing, the second of which gave the Islanders the lead.

But his crowning contest came on Feb. 14 against Stephen F. Austin. With John Jordan sidelined due to foul trouble, the freshman turned it up on both ends, using his high-intensity D to manufacture fast-break offense. He went for a career-best 22 points, but also dished out three assists. He was also huge on the glass, grabbing a career-best seven rebounds, including diving for a loose-ball rebound and calling time out in the closing minute.

He came up big at Abilene Christian on Feb. 24, scoring 13 of the team's 28 first-half points and going on to a 16-point evening.

Amin has a wealth of international experience, as he played several years for the Egyptian national team both at the Under-16 and Under-18 levels and would have been a member of the country's FIBA Championship squad this year if it would not have caused him to miss too much class time.
                http://www.kristv.com/story/28398012...hursday-at-730
                Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

2015 U19 World Championship : Egypt at Group A

Heraklion, Crete (GRE), 27 June - 5 July.

Groups draw:

Gr A
                  Croatia
                  Iran
                  USA
                  Egypt
                  Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Egypt is set to part ways with Pep Claros

Egyptian basketball federation has surprisingly announced the termination of the agreement between them and Spanish coach Pep Claros.

Five board members in the Egyptian federation has used their voting power and overcame the previous decision by the head of basketball national team committee Mohamed Abd El-Mottleb who believed that a foreign coach is more suitable in leading the Egyptian team.

Claros who is having now more than excellent results in the Canadian league with Halifax Rainmen was expected to be in Egypt in April but now has to look for a new team.

It's confirmed that an Egyptian coach would take the lead and the top 2 candidates are the previous coach Amr Abu El-Kheir and Sporting club coach Ahmed Marei who is the father of the team star Assem.
                    [/B]

http://www.afrobasket.com/Egypt/news...ith-Pep-Claros
                    Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Claros confirms Egypt exit

HALIFAX (AfroBasket) - Spanish coach Pep Claros has revealed he will not lead Egypt at the AfroBasket this summer, confirming reports in Cairo that the Pharoahs are looking for a replacement.

Egypt had handed the reins to the Barcelona native, who was once at the helm of the El Salvador and Mexico national teams, at the end of 2014 and agreed he could travel to the country to start working with the program after the Canadian domestic season.

In Canada, Claros has guided the Halifax Rainmen to the conference championship and into the play-off semi-finals.

The 46-year-old Claros says the Egyptians changed their minds on his arrival date.

"The Egyptian Basketball Federation wanted me to come now and I'm with Halifax Rainmen in the semifinals in Canada after winning the conference championship and we're leading 3-1," he said.

"I still need one more win to advance to the final.

"They had agreed I could go there with my Portuguese assistant coach on the 25th of April, but they want me now and it is impossible to leave my team."

Claros, who has coached in Europe and in North, Central and South America, is disappointed he will not add African experience to his impressive CV, yet he is not bitter.

"I just can say thanks to my Egyptian staff for the work and dedication during these past months when we were planning and preparing and they were even traveling to Canada to get ready for the future and create a "B" national team with new talents," Claros said.

I wish them all the best for the next AfroBasket and African games with the goal to qualify for the Olympics in Rio 2016 - Claros

Egypt should be a contender for a spot on the podium at the AfroBasket, something they assured themselves of when upsetting Senegal in Abidjan,

Cote d'Ivoire, in 2013.

If Egypt can win this year's African title, they will qualify for the Brazil Olympics.

They can also clinch a spot in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament with a second- or third-place finish in Tunisia.

http://www.fiba.com/news/claros-confirms-egypt-exit

Comment

Who gets Egypt's coaching job?

SHEFFIELD (Julio Chitunda's African Message) - The most frequently asked question of the moment in Egypt basketball circles is 'who will get the country's national team head coach job?', after the agreement with Spaniard Josep 'Pepe' Claros was terminated last week.

Late last year, Claros had agreed to coach the North African nation at the upcoming AfroBasket 2015, which will take place in Tunisia from 19 to 30 August.

But he is currently coaching Canadian side Halifax Rainmen, and would only be available for the Egyptians from 25 April.

"That's too late to start working with the national team," the Egyptian Basketball Federation told me.

Judging by local media reports, Claros' appointment did not get consensus among members of the federation board.

Four locally-based coaches, including Sayed Mostafa (Al-Ahly), Tarek Selim (Gezira Club), and former Olympians Amr Aboul Kheir (Al Ittihad Alexandria) and Ahmed Marei (Sporting Alexandria) are now the front-runners to get the job.

According to the federation, the new coach "will be announced next week."

Whatever the reasons for Egypt moving on without Claros, the new tactician will have his work cut out in taking up the challenge of maintaining or improving on Egypt's second-place finish at AfroBasket 2013 in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire.

But, more importantly, Egypt target to return to the Olympics for the first time since the 1988 Seoul Games, where Aboul Kheir, one of the four candidates for the job, sparked Egypt with 7.7 points and two assists per game.

If appointed, 1984 Olympian Marei will have a chance of coaching his son Assem Marei, who played a leading role for the Egyptian team in 2013.

Meanwhile, a closer look at the list of recent head coaches of Egypt makes me think that Claros was a victim of current circumstances in Egypt basketball, regardless of his impressive background.

I am not sure whether the language factor had any influence in this, but in recent years foreign coaches have not delivered what Egypt expected, while Egyptian coach Aboul Kheir qualified the country for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, which was their first appearance on the world stage in two decades.

Serbian Zeljko Zecevic led Egypt at AfroBasket 2009, but a 2-6 record resulted in a 10th place-finish.

Two years later, at AfroBasket 2011, Egypt tasked Serbian coach Miodrag Perisic in helping the country qualify for the 2012 London Olympics, but the Pharaohs lost three of their five games, finishing a disappointing 11th.

In Abidjan, Aboul Kheir and his young Egypt side emerged out of nowhere to stun then reigning-champions Tunisia (Eighth-Finals) Cape-Verde (Quarter-Finals) and Senegal (Semi-Finals) on a run to the Final of AfroBasket 2013. By reaching the title game, they booked their place for Spain 2014, where they went winless (0-5)

Share this
                        30/03/2015 JULIO CHITUNDA'S AFRICAN MESSAGE
                        Who gets Egypt's coaching job?

Egypt (EGY). France vs Egypt, 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, Granada (Spain), Day 3, Group phase
                        SHEFFIELD (Julio Chitunda's African Message) - The most frequently asked question of the moment in Egypt basketball circles is 'who will get the country's national team head coach job?', after the agreement with Spaniard Josep 'Pepe' Claros was terminated last week.

Late last year, Claros had agreed to coach the North African nation at the upcoming AfroBasket 2015, which will take place in Tunisia from 19 to 30 August.

But he is currently coaching Canadian side Halifax Rainmen, and would only be available for the Egyptians from 25 April.

"That's too late to start working with the national team," the Egyptian Basketball Federation told me.

Judging by local media reports, Claros' appointment did not get consensus among members of the federation board.

Four locally-based coaches, including Sayed Mostafa (Al-Ahly), Tarek Selim (Gezira Club), and former Olympians Amr Aboul Kheir (Al Ittihad Alexandria) and Ahmed Marei (Sporting Alexandria) are now the front-runners to get the job.

According to the federation, the new coach "will be announced next week."

Whatever the reasons for Egypt moving on without Claros, the new tactician will have his work cut out in taking up the challenge of maintaining or improving on Egypt's second-place finish at AfroBasket 2013 in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire.

But, more importantly, Egypt target to return to the Olympics for the first time since the 1988 Seoul Games, where Aboul Kheir, one of the four candidates for the job, sparked Egypt with 7.7 points and two assists per game.

If appointed, 1984 Olympian Marei will have a chance of coaching his son Assem Marei, who played a leading role for the Egyptian team in 2013.

Meanwhile, a closer look at the list of recent head coaches of Egypt makes me think that Claros was a victim of current circumstances in Egypt basketball, regardless of his impressive background.

I am not sure whether the language factor had any influence in this, but in recent years foreign coaches have not delivered what Egypt expected, while Egyptian coach Aboul Kheir qualified the country for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, which was their first appearance on the world stage in two decades.

Serbian Zeljko Zecevic led Egypt at AfroBasket 2009, but a 2-6 record resulted in a 10th place-finish.

Two years later, at AfroBasket 2011, Egypt tasked Serbian coach Miodrag Perisic in helping the country qualify for the 2012 London Olympics, but the Pharaohs lost three of their five games, finishing a disappointing 11th.

In Abidjan, Aboul Kheir and his young Egypt side emerged out of nowhere to stun then reigning-champions Tunisia (Eighth-Finals) Cape-Verde (Quarter-Finals) and Senegal (Semi-Finals) on a run to the Final of AfroBasket 2013. By reaching the title game, they booked their place for Spain 2014, where they went winless (0-5).

In the past few years I have been talking to Egypt basketball officials and they all believe that 2015 should be the year of their come-back and confirmation in African scene after a number of sluggish years.

They always made the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics their main priority.

Now that the national team coaching position is a local affair, Egypt's Basketball Federation said: "We would like to thank coach 'Pepe' Claros for his professionalism and interest in working with us."

"Pepe followed the national team in the past couple of years. He knows a number of Egyptians playing college basketball, and he would have made a big difference for us, considering his international experience."

When I asked coach Aboul Kheir to share his impressions about the prospect of coaching Egypt again, he said: "Right now, I am focused on the working with my club."

Julio Chitunda

FIBA
                        http://www.fiba.com/news/who-gets-egypts-coaching-job
                        Last edited by lemo; 04-13-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Egypt are set at Group C at AfroBasket 2015

TUNIS (AfroBasket 2015) - The draw for AfroBasket 2015 took place at the Carthage Acropolium in Tunisia's capital city of Tunis on Saturday night.

The results of the draw are as follows:
                          Group A: 1. Tunisia ; 2. Uganda ; 3. Nigeria ; 4. Wild card 1.
                          Group B: 1. Angola; 2. Mozambique ; 3. Wild card 2 ; 4. Morocco.
                          Group C: 1. Egypt; 2. Gabon ; 3. Mali; 4. Cameroon.
                          Group D: 1. Cote d'Ivoire ; 2. Cape Verde ; 3. Wild card 3; 4. Zimbabwe.

The first phase of the tournament will be played in a round robin format, with every team taking on its three (3) opponents in its respective group.

All teams will then advance to the Round of 16, where Group A crosses with group C (A1-C4, etc.), and Group B with D (B1-D4, etc).

The tournament will be played in a knockout format from the Round of 16 onwards (Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final).

Share this
                          05/04/2015 NEWS
                          Draw results in for AfroBasket 2015

Draw results for AfroBasket 2015
                          TUNIS (AfroBasket 2015) - The draw for AfroBasket 2015 took place at the Carthage Acropolium in Tunisia's capital city of Tunis on Saturday night.

The results of the draw are as follows:
                          Group A: 1. Tunisia ; 2. Uganda ; 3. Nigeria ; 4. Wild card 1.
                          Group B: 1. Angola; 2. Mozambique ; 3. Wild card 2 ; 4. Morocco.
                          Group C: 1. Egypt; 2. Gabon ; 3. Mali; 4. Cameroon.
                          Group D: 1. Cote d'Ivoire ; 2. Cape Verde ; 3. Wild card 3; 4. Zimbabwe.

The first phase of the tournament will be played in a round robin format, with every team taking on its three (3) opponents in its respective group.

All teams will then advance to the Round of 16, where Group A crosses with group C (A1-C4, etc.), and Group B with D (B1-D4, etc).

The tournament will be played in a knockout format from the Round of 16 onwards (Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final).

AfroBasket 2015 will be held from 19-30 August in the Tunisian cities of Nabeul and Tunis and serves as a qualifying event for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

It is the third time that Tunisia will get to stage the AfroBasket, having previously hosted it in 1965 and 1987.

The teams designated as 'Wild cards 1, 2 and 3' who will round out the event's 16-team field will be announced at the end of April.

http://www.fiba.com/news/draw-result...frobasket-2015

Comment

Ex-Sacred Heart basketball star Mostafa Abdel Latif now playing in native Egypt

For Egyptian-born Mostafa Abdel Latif, who graduated Sacred Heart University in 2014, the journey to playing college basketball was filled with stumbling blocks.

mostafa24ctpost“I went to an NBA camp in Senegal and met Bill Bayno, who used to play for SHU back in the day,” recalled Latif. “He liked the way I played, and told me to contact him if I was interested in playing college basketball in the States. I was so excited that my dream was coming true.”

His dream was coming true, but as Mostafa landed in the U.S., he realized he didn’t know anyone.

“I was struggling when I first came to SHU, and I didn’t know how to focus on both basketball and school work,” said Latif. “I started getting tutors for every class I was taking and asked friends to help me with things I didn’t understand.”

Learning time management skills early as a freshman at SHU was a turning point, as Abdel Latif began to do well in the classroom and on the court.

He continued to learn and grow at Sacred Heart, understanding the student part came first in student-athlete, even as he enjoyed success on the court.

“My favorite SHU basketball memory was my first game as a Division 1 college basketball player, when we beat Yale after a 28-point comeback,” said Latif. “I remember how motivated we were to win that game, and how focused everyone was on winning the game.”

The advice which drove him to reaching his goals and playing in America, were words spoken by his mother after a somber point in his young life.

“My dad left us when I was 10, it was a very tough time that made me think about quitting basketball,” recalled Latif. “My mom told me, ‘Don’t let anyone or anything affect your dreams. If you want something, go get it. Nothing can stop you from achieving your dreams, so go out there, work hard and you’ll be able to get whatever you want.'”

Practice produced much improved results ,and Mostafa continued to gain minutes and momentum.

mostafafireduptwitterThe opposition took notice.

“I started dominating on the court, averaging 12 points and 11 rebounds in 6 consecutive games, and that’s what put me in the starting lineup,” said Latif.

Coach Anthony Latina told him before the game that he would be starting.

He finished that game with 12 points and 12 rebounds, then went on to win student-athlete of the week. He also put up 17 rebounds in a single game (second-best in SHU history), and would go on to lead the team in rebounds and finish 10th in the NCAA in rebounds-per-40 minutes.

With his confidence brimming, his teammates embraced him in such a way that he considers them family even to this day. He says he was accepted, tutored, and taught how to win in Division 1 athletics.

“Teamwork is very important to me, because my team is my family,” said Latif. “We work hard together all season long trying to accomplish the same goals, and most important is caring about each other like one strong family. When I was down and struggling, I had my teammates and coaches to support me and help me get better every day on and off the court.”

“I still make sure to stay in touch with them and wish them luck before games, because that’s my family that I lived with for 4 years during my college basketball career in the States,”he said.

After his SHU basketball days finished, Mostafa went back to Egypt, where he found himself more in control of his destiny, and appreciative of all the gifts given to him at Sacred Heart.

“I’m currently playing professional basketball in for Alexandria Sporting Club, which is the best team in Egypt and defending champs 3 years in a row,” said Latif. “We won Egypt’s Cup in February and now we’re in the playoffs hoping we can win the whole thing for the 4th year in a row.”

His goals have continued to mount and become more challenging, but he now knows nothing is impossible.

“I’m hoping to join the Egyptian national team this summer for the African Championship Tournament that qualifies for the 2016 Olympics in Rio,” said Latif.

In the midst of a title chase, he recalls his favorite moments of playing in Egypt.

“My favorite moments playing in Egypt were being on the Egyptian National team and winning the African Championship,” Latif said.

The title was the Egyptians’ first in 20 years, and they beat Angola by two points in the title game to qualify for the World Championships in New Zealand.

“The other was when I was on the Egyptian National team and we beat China in double overtime,” he said. The Chinese had a few NBA players on that team.

“I always want people to remember me by my hard work and hustle on the court,” Latif said. “I know I’m not the best player in the world, but I always make sure I’ll do whatever it takes and work as hard as I can to be the best in what I do.”

Throughout his career at Sacred Heart, and now in Egypt, Latif’s stats have spoken for themselves.

This story of triumph has given us at least one lesson to take away about Mostafa Abdel Latif…don’t give up on your dreams because something happened, but keep trying and soon you’ll be where you were destined to land.

Comment

From Egyptian Revolutions To March Madness, Louisville's Anas Mahmoud Has Seen It All

With seven seconds left in the first half of Sunday's third-round NCAA Tournament game between Louisville and Northern Iowa, Anas Mahmoud entered the court.

He set up a screen for one of his Louisville Cardinals teammates before the clock ran out and the players retreated to their respective locker rooms for halftime. Later, with no more than 90 seconds left in the game, the 7’0”, 200-lb. forward took to the floor, sinking two of his free-throw attempts as his team headed toward a 66-53 victory over the Panthers.

Still just a teenager, the 19-year-old Mahmoud is now forever a part of Cardinals history, as the fourth-seeded team enters a Sweet 16 berth for an unprecedented fourth consecutive season. But unlike his other teammates, the Egyptian has already witnessed a different sort of history: Only a handful of years ago, he was living in his native Cairo, surrounded by violent unrest that even claimed the life of one of his cousins.

The freshman spoke to The Huffington Post about how it felt to play in his first March Madness so soon after he witnessed political turmoil taking over Egypt.

“The violence was everywhere,” Mahmoud said of the tensions in his country before he left in 2013.

“I saw a couple people get shot sometimes,” he recalled. “It was bad.”

Mahmoud said he was not a basketball player at first. His towering height only came later, and he said he first excelled in volleyball and soccer. But he picked up basketball at the age of 12 and fell in love with the sport.

“My dad told me, ‘You’re a much better volleyball player,'" he explained. "I said, ‘Yeah, but I love basketball more.'"

“I loved Dirk Nowitzki,” he added, "and Kevin Love, and Kobe Bryant, for sure.”

It didn’t take long for others to notice Mahmoud’s talent. After success playing with Egypt’s national teams, including taking second place in the 2013 International Basketball Federation's (FIBA) Africa Championship, Mahmoud said people started talking to him about playing in the United States.

Mahmoud in a game vs. N.C. State in February.

“At the beginning, I didn’t really find it interesting for me,” he admitted. “Just because I was with my family, I had a nice life, and I was thinking more about engineering.”

Discussing his time in Egypt, Mahmoud spoke of the unrest that was sweeping his country. Egypt had endured violence and revolution in the years prior to his departure, with former President Hosni Mubarak stepping down in 2011 amid the Arab Spring demonstrations. At the height of the strife, Mahmoud's younger brother got caught between police and demonstrators. "He was trying to just go back home," Mahmoud said, "but he was alone and he couldn’t really find his way."

“It was bad situation,” he said. “So I had to go get him. My dad told me not to, but I was like, ‘Dad, I’m the only one who can go get him because I know my way out.’”

The brothers eventually made it home safely. But Mahmoud says that caution and concern were part of everyday life during that time -- and for once, his height was not an advantage.

“My dad won’t allow me to go anywhere because he knew that I can get hurt and he’s like, ‘You’re tall and you’re the first one they’ll look for,’” Mahmoud said, laughing. “He’s always told me that.”

Mahmoud noted that the violence even affected his basketball seasons, two of which were cancelled as a result of “the condition of the people and the condition of the streets."

Ultimately, Mahmoud did decide to go to the U.S. He explained that he moved because he would be able to play basketball, but would also get a good education and could still work towards becoming an engineer if he wanted.

President Mohammed Morsi was overthrown in the summer of 2013 after a year in power, leading to another period of unrest and tension. By the end of that year, Mahmoud had left to attend West Oaks Academy in Orlando, Florida, where he played for the school’s basketball team. He said that by that time, most of the violence in Cairo had settled.

Less that two years later, he’s at the University of Louisville (where he ended up studying engineering after all), playing in his first March Madness tournament for Hall of Fame Coach Rick Pitino. Still learning to play at the elite levels of college basketball, Mahmoud is not the star of the school's program: He ended his first regular season averaging about 8 minutes and just one point a game. But Pitino has said that Mahmoud is improving.
                              Mahmoud’s family hasn’t been able to visit him since he came to America. And he’s only been back to Egypt once, last summer, to stay with his family while attending his sister’s wedding. It's been tough on his mom, he said, but FaceTime allows them to talk every day, and his family can watch his games online.

And it’s through sports that he feels he makes a difference, by helping to make basketball more popular in his home country.

He's starting within his own family. Mahmoud said that his younger brother, who is 16, is also planning on coming to the U.S. for what will be his sophomore year of high school. As the big brother, Mahmoud said he's helping to find what high school program will be best, and hopes to keep him close by in Louisville, Kentucky.

"I think [for] him to be around me more, especially in the first couple years, would be much better for him," Mahmoud said, noting that his brother is a good basketball player and has a good upper body.

"I’m taller, but he’s still younger," he said, laughing.

Mahmoud likely won’t enter the NBA Draft this year, acknowledging that he needs to work on his game and “get more muscles and just get stronger.”

But even though he was initially hesitant about coming to the U.S. for basketball, Mahmoud now says his dream is to play in the NBA one day. If he does, he will be following in the footsteps of Portland Trail Blazer Alaa Abdelnaby, the only Egyptian to play in the league. (Abdelnaby, unlike Mahmoud, had been living in the U.S. since he was two.)

Heading into Friday’s game against No. 8 N.C. State, Mahmoud has more than just basketball on his mind.

“I think more about my family. And that’s being here and being successful in what I’m doing, how can it affect my family?" he said. "How can it help my brother coming here next year? How can it affect my family, my sisters, my mom, my dad? I think that in my thought more than anything else.

Louisville freshman Anas Mahmoud is playing in his first March Madness. Only a few short years ago, his country was in the middle of uprisings.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information