Uganda National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uganda National Team

Since Uganda NT has recently qualified for Afrobasket 2015, I think it deserves a separate thread.

Interesting article regarding Team Uganda's foreign-based players...

Team Uganda Foreign based players.

Brandon Allan Ndugga Sebirumbi
    Brandon was born on the 15th of May 1990 to Ugandan parents, Edward Ndugga Sebirumbi and Caroline Babirye Kayizzi, at the Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth, Dallas, Texas. Standing at 6”9in, he is a professional basketball player who after completing school at Furman, has gone on to play for teams in Portugal and Spain. Brandon keeps close connections with Uganda and was recently here for the month of June and part of July to train with the National Team of Uganda and represent his motherland. He currently holds an American passport. He is a proud Ugandan by descent.

John David Jr. Balwigaire
    John Junior, named after his dad, is the youngest of a family of basketball playing boys, born in Mission Viejo, California, USA, on 10th August 1990. His dad John Balwigaire Snr. and mum Sarah are both Ugandans who hail from Basoga tribe in Kayunga district. The 6”2in shooting guard played the game through school acquiring a collegiate scholarship to play at Wright State University and later completed his studies from South Western Oklahoma State University earlier this year. He too currently holds an American passport. He’s looking forward to represent Uganda for many years to come.

Josh Eric Johnson
    Josh, as he is fondly called is a young man born in Kampala 0n 20th September 1992. He later moved to London where he has since lived and acquired British citizenship. He has however kept close connection with Uganda and is even a fluent speaker of his native language, Luganda. Josh has so far travelled here twice to represent Uganda in regional tournaments including during the tournament in Zanzibar to celebrate 50 years of their independence – a tournament in which we won gold. The 5”11 point guard plays professional basketball for Ipswich Town in the England Basketball League (EBL).

Kassim Nagwere
    Born in Kampala on 23rd June 1990, Kassim is a quiet humble young man who lives and plays basketball in Sweden. He moved to Sweden in his teens and completed his education there after which he went on to play professionally. He also coached children about the game he loves. Kassim’s parents are both resident in Uganda; his dad Yunus Nagwere lives in Mbale while his mum stays in Munyonyo, Kampala. Like Josh, he has represented Uganda before recently and looks forward to doing it again. Kassim stands at 6”1in and plays a game so aggressive that he has become a formidable combo guard.

Samuel Mukooza
    The lanky figured Samuel promises is no false advert, his game, much like his frame and character, is smooth, silky smooth. He plays basketball with a deceptive ease and softness that doesn’t give away how crafty and talented he is. The 6”5in guard, who occasionally fits in at small forward for small line ups plays his professional club basketball at Jamtland Basket in Sweden was born at the historical Mulago Hospital on 4th December 1989, but moved to Sweden at a very young age. His sister, Susan Naava, is more commonly known in the social circles and showbiz world of Kampala.
    http://fuba.co.ug/team-uganda-foreign-based-players/

Skipper Omony wants Uganda to leave mark at AfroBasket

By Andrew Mwanguhya

Posted Sunday, February 8 2015 at 02:00

IN SUMMARY
    Uganda are making a first appearance at the men’s biennial continental showpiece that tips off in August in three Tunisian cities. Reigning champions Angola are the most successful country having won it 11 times, including six titles in a row from 1999 to 2009

The number of times Uganda have participated at the Fiba AfroBasket - the men’s basketball continental biennial championship - reads naught.

But when this year’s edition tips off in Tunisia AugustSeptember, figure 1 will be entered as the Silverbacks, as the Ugandan national team are called, debut at the championships.

It is one moment Silverbacks captain, Stephen Omony - who learnt his game from St Leo’s College, Kyegobe in Fort Portal before taking it to another level while juggling his A’ Levels at Kitante High with Blue Jackets basketball club duty in 1997 - has been waiting for.

“It has been one of my dreams,” said the 6’4 feet guard, “First of all it is an honour to represent my country, and to captain it - it is a privilege. We can’t take this lightly as a team. We are carrying hopes of the entire nation; so for me it is a challenge.”

Omony added: “Can we win it (AfroBasket)? Well, I don’t get into something to lose. I would like to go there and win. We shall try to do that.”
    Yet Omony, in his mid 30s, is not lost on reality.

“But also, we have to be realistic and manage our expectations. It’s our first time at Afcon (he loves to call it that) and the journey has not been easy.
    “We missed out on two occasions but I felt on those two we should have qualified… But now that we have made it, we have to go for it.
    Cushion
    “But if we are to lose, I want us to lose honourably. Even in defeat, Uganda’s impact must be felt. We want to leave people there saying, ‘There is Uganda!’
    “This is something we’ve been looking for. I want this to be our gateway. This is a chance for Ugandan players to get that much needed exposure and this is the stage where international scouts are looking out for talent.”

This year’s event is the 28th edition, and is also a qualifying competition for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The women’s national team, the Gazelles, will also represent at the ladies’ 24th edition in Cameroon - in addition to the All Africa Games.

Stephen Omony

Fact file

2012 to date: Falcons
    2010-2012: Miracle
    2009-2010: Falcons
    2008: Nizwa (Middle East). Six-month stint
    2002-2008: Hawks (Seychelles)
    2001: Nkumba Marines
    1998-1999: Falcons/Kitante Hill
    1997: Blue Jackets/Kitante Hill
    Honours
    Falcons: League titles in 1998, 1999
    Hawks (Seychelles): 4 league titles
    http://www.monitor.co.ug/Sports/Socc...i/-/index.html

Comment

Exciting news for Uganda National Team! Qualifying for Afrobasket 2015 is a huge achievement. Great to see talented foreign-based players like Brandon Sebirumbi, John Balwigaire, Josh Johnson, Kassim Nagwere, and Samuel Mukooza contributing to the team's success.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information